Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
July 30, 2014, 10:13:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83167 times)
Roger Bacon
Getbig V

Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 14, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »

Biographies are my favorite, recently read...

quote from Memoirs:

"For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure — one world, if you will. If that is the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
Report to moderator   Logged

dr.chimps
Getbig V

Bunch Commander

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 16, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

Hilary Mantel has just now won her second Booker prize for 'Bringing up the Bodies,' her follow-up to her like-winning 2009's 'Wolf Hall.' Read the latter and really liked it. Have the former, but it is up on the shelves and probably won't be seen for months/years. Good on her.

/also: working, and liking, my way through chris ware's 'building stories,' for those who like graphic novels. stunning in an awesome amount of work way. some emotional impact stuff, too.
CalvinH
Getbig V

Free Foozle!

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »

Man I have to update here.

...probably been through a dozen books
Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: October 18, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »

Yes, it is.

I'm a little surprised it won a Pulitzer. It seems to say pretty much the same things as the Autobiography but corrects it from time to time.

Which part or parts do you think aren't true?

Not a flame, I just wouldn't know where to begin on knowing what is true or not.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RoM_FWA7-A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RoM_FWA7-A</a>

!
Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: October 18, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »

Yes, it is.

I'm a little surprised it won a Pulitzer. It seems to say pretty much the same things as the Autobiography but corrects it from time to time.

Which part or parts do you think aren't true?

Not a flame, I just wouldn't know where to begin on knowing what is true or not.

A Lie of Reinvention is a response to Manning Marable’s biography of Malcolm X, A Life of Reinvention. Marable’s book was controversially acclaimed by some as his magna opus. At the same time, it was denounced and debated by others as a worthless read full of conjecture, errors, and without any new factual content. In this collection of critical essays, editors Jared Ball and Todd Steven Burroughs lead a group of established and emerging Black scholars and activists who take a clear stance in this controversy: Marable’s biography is at best flawed and at worst a major setback in American history, African American studies, and scholarship on the life of Malcolm X.

In the tradition of John Henrik Clarke’s classic anthology “William Styron’s Nat Turner: Ten Black Writers Respond,” this volume provides a striking critique of Marable’s text. In 1968, Clarke and his assembled writers felt it essential to respond to Styron’s fictionalized and ahistorical Nat Turner, the heroic leader of one of America’s most famous revolts against enslavement. In A Lie of Reinvention, the editors sense a different threat to an African American icon, Malcolm X. This time, the threat is presented as an authoritative biography. To counter the threat, Ball and Burroughs respond with a barbed collection of commentaries of Marable’s text.

The essays come from all quarters of the Black community. From behind prison walls, Mumia Abu-Jamal revises his prior public praise of Marable’s book with an essay written specifically for this volume. A. Peter Bailey, a veteran journalist who worked with Malcolm X’s Organization for Afro-American Unity, disputes how he is characterized in Marable’s book. Bill Strickland, who also knew Malcolm X, provides what he calls a “personal critique” of the biography. Younger scholars such as Kali Akuno, Kamau Franklin, Sundiata Keita Cha-Jua, Christopher M. Tinson, Eugene Puryear and Greg Thomas join veterans Rosmari Mealy, Raymond Winbush, Amiri Baraka and Karl Evanzz in pointing out historical problems and ideological misinterpretations in Marable’s work.

Compiled as a response to Manning Marable’s controversial new biography of Malcolm X, more than 30 noted scholars from the African American community offer their opinions on Marable’s portrayal of the man whose short life still inspires speculation of what might have been.

Contributors include: Imam Al-Hajj Talib Abdur-Rashid, Mumia Abu-Jamal, Abdul Alkalimat, Molefi Kete Asante, Rick Ayers, Bryonn Bain, Amiri Baraka, Aslaku Ber­hanu, Amir Bey, Todd Steven Burroughs, Ta-Nehisi Coates, William Jelani Cobb, Karl Evanzz, Iyaluua and Herman Ferguson, Bill Flectcher, Jr., Glen Ford, Rhone Fraser, Wil Haygood, Kelly Harris, Errol A. Henderson, Fred Hord, Peter James Hudson, Ezra Hyland, Regina Jennings, Peniel E. Joseph, Clyde Ledbetter Jr., Fred Logan, Kevin McGruder, Starla Muhammad, Nell Irvin Painter, Imani Perry, Gregory J. Reed, Sonia Sanchez, Diane D. Turner, Ilyasah Shabazz

!
Jack T. Cross
Getbig IV

Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure — one world, if you will. If that is the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."

This quote sounds exactly as he's saying he is "proud" of what is viewed as "working against the best interests of the United States", by creating what his own description could only lead one to believe is a money funnel.

Fucking amazing, the way truth will surface itself.

I'm telling you, people.  We are in a race with time.  The devil is catching up.

durgaprasadzone
Getbig I

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: October 19, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »

Thanks part time read this.

Online Shopping In India
SEO Freelancer

[
240 is Back
Getbig V

Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »

Why can't you be more like Palin and read all of the newspapers?

months later lol.   brilliant!

I found this ipad app for ibooks,  very cool.   ardnold encyclopedia and some PDFs i brought in so far!

240 is Back
Getbig V

Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »

I don't read "celebrity" books often, but I read this one recently and I highly recommend:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Actor, singer, songwriter Tyrese Gibson crafts a memoir filled with every emotion and life experience one could possibly imagine. With personal experiences paired with reflective questions based on his extremely popular blog piece, "The Love Circle", Tyrese hopes to inspire readers to pursue their dreams and not let life's obstacles stand in the way.

HOW TO GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY is organized into a series of fundamental questions that helped Tyrese redefine who he was as a human being, and evolve into a new man. Tyrese stresses that life becomes infinitely richer when one takes the time to know him or herself and understand the true meaning of peace and fulfillment. This book is a guide to helping yourself, using his experiences as a learning tool. "It's not about talking down to people, it's about elevating them," Tyrese says.

Some of Tyrese's chapter-based questions include: How much do you love yourself? How much do you want for yourself? Why do men cheat? What is your bottom line? Are you ready for the next level?

I bought this today.... looks good, thanks for the recommendation

Benny B
Time Out
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: October 20, 2012, 02:07:05 AM »

I bought this today.... looks good, thanks for the recommendation
No problem. Hope you enjoy it and take something from Tyrese's advice and experiences that can enhance your life. 

!
kh300
Getbig IV

team no steroids just old fashioned lifting

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 21, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »

YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE

Greatest book I've ever read. Will really transform your life and will make you think about everything that you do.
CalvinH
Getbig V

Free Foozle!

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 22, 2012, 06:50:23 AM »

Hannibal-Ben Kane

...dude is very good at fictional history Cool
FitnessFrenzy
Getbig V

grapefruit for life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: October 27, 2012, 03:21:24 AM »

Colby Buzzell - My War
Roger Bacon
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 27, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »

Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga

Tapeworm
Getbig V

Still crazy after all these years

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 27, 2012, 05:59:48 AM »

Concrete Pumping and Spraying: A Practical Guide
Sprayed Concrete: Properties, Design, and Application
Concrete Mix Design

I like to stay intellectually well rounded.
Roger Bacon
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »

Concrete Pumping and Spraying: A Practical Guide
Sprayed Concrete: Properties, Design, and Application
Concrete Mix Design

I like to stay intellectually well rounded.

damn  Shocked

It's Saturday, lets lay a patio or something?

FitnessFrenzy
Getbig V

grapefruit for life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: October 28, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »

Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga

Is it good?

Tapeworm
Getbig V

Still crazy after all these years

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 28, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

damn  Shocked

It's Saturday, lets lay a patio or something?

Good Lay LLC registered.
magikusar
Time Out
Getbig IV

Team Ayn Rand

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 28, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »

for the new intellectual ayn rand
starfisher glen cook
haskell wikibook
how to get rich flex dennis
the dying earth jack vance
skylark of valerion by ee doc smith
conan the valiant roland green
starting forth leo brody
lisp winston and horn
ada95 john english
magikusar
Time Out
Getbig IV

Team Ayn Rand

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 28, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

Ayn darlin', please at least spell her name right.  She was bonkers.  Google/UTube her and watch her vids

Read that tome at least 3 times in your life, once when you're young and impressionable, the second time when you're a bit grown up?

xL

ayn rand is awesome
capitalism made usa no 1
tea party is awesome
if you think otherwise your mind in tangled with commie lies
magikusar
Time Out
Getbig IV

Team Ayn Rand

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 28, 2012, 03:17:35 PM »

Anybody read the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child.

A guilty pleasure, I admit, but always very entertaining.

I just finished 'Gone Tomorrow'. Another great one.

I think a Tom Cruise movie is coming out where he plays Reacher. I'm looking forward to it.

total ripoff of mac bolan by don pendelton in 80s
Roger Bacon
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 28, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »

Is it good?

Yeah, I think it's pretty cool.  You can really picture what's going on because of the way he writes.

garebear
Time Out
Getbig V

Never question my instincts.

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »

total ripoff of mac bolan by don pendelton in 80s
I bet you wouldn't say that to Jack Reacher's face!

G
oenguinseatsocks
Getbig II

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »

i'm slowly working my way through a few books:

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
Confessions of a Crap Artist by Philip K Dick
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

and a book of Philip K Dick short stories
CalvinH
Getbig V

Free Foozle!

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 29, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

Just finished-The Caspian Gates by Harry Sidebottom
just started-Praetorian by Simon Scarrow
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!