Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551900 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #850 on: October 21, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »
and tack on an overly-convoluted and kinda silly denouement       

My thoughts exactly.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #851 on: October 21, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
Anyone read "The Name of the Rose" by Eco?
No but I read the Pete Rose story.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #852 on: October 28, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
The Challenger Sale...required by Management for some reason.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
Always 5-8 texts and 10-15 articles per month. Will soon be taking a break from this kind of reading/prep to play around with the relation (if any) between these two texts for about 3 weeks:

Also picked up Pynchon's Bleeding Edge for fun.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #854 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
Always 5-8 texts and 10-15 articles per month.

How do you like to take notes for articles?

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #855 on: October 31, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
Snow Crash

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #856 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
I don't have a preference. If I'm reading a hard copy, I take notes on the margins (initially) and then transfer them to a word file. If I'm reading a word file, I take notes using the new comments feature. If I'm reading a pdf, through sticky & text comments -- annotations). I've seen profs open texts with more old school stationary in a text than its pages (Heideggerians, more often than not ::)), and then there were the numbered index-cards in their cardboard file profs (a notable Hegel and Kierkegaard scholar comes to mind).

The main thing I do is not to proceed in my reading of an article unless I can economically paraphrase its paragraphs. I do this with texts as well.

I've floated the idea of modifying my domicile to contain wall-to-wall whiteboards upon which to indite penetrating insights, but I've been apprised by she-who-must-be-obeyed that, well, "Fuck no!"

Alas.

Hey, A Serious Man. Brilliant movie.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #857 on: October 31, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
Anyone read House of Leaves?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #858 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
I don't have a preference. If I'm reading a hard copy, I take notes on the margins (initially) and then transfer them to a word file. If I'm reading a word file, I take notes using the new comments feature. If I'm reading a pdf, through sticky & text comments -- annotations). I've seen profs open texts with more old school stationary in a text than its pages (Heideggerians, more often than not ::)), and then there were the numbered index-cards in their cardboard file profs (a notable Hegel and Kierkegaard scholar comes to mind).

The main thing I do is not to proceed in my reading of an article unless I can economically paraphrase its paragraphs. I do this with texts as well.

I've floated the idea of modifying my domicile to contain wall-to-wall whiteboards upon which to indite penetrating insights, but I've been apprised by she-who-must-be-obeyed that, well, "Fuck no!"

Alas.

How do you like to take notes for judging bodybuilding competitions? 

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #859 on: November 02, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
Impulse buy (60 anadrolas at bricks-n-mortar B&N this morning; got home and ordered via Amazon for less than 40:

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #860 on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:51 AM »
Went to the IFOA last week. Thoughts:

Aleksandar Hemon: Still a super nice guy. I remarked that he wasn't standing in front of the table signing and he said that he had had 4 knee operations in the time that I had seen him last. Stood, tho,
                          to shake my hand after signing, which kinda caught me off guard. Wow.

Peter Bagge & Seth: Always cool to see weirdo graphic/cartoon guys be so un-graphic off-line. Classy, almost.

Nadeem Aslam: Gayer than ever. Lots of hags hovering. Still rivals Ian McEwan for smallest signature. Finally seems to be aging. Guy was 29, like, forever.  

Shani Boianjiu: Stunningly beautiful. I hope she keeps writing. So young. So talented. Beautiful. Did I say she was beautiful? And talented.

Sam Lypsyte: Looks exactly like his bio pic.  ;D

Anne McDermott: So very nice. Polite. I almost felt intrusive asking for my book to be signed.

David Bezmozgis: Sat with and chatted with for 5 mins. Nice guy and went out of his way. Even suggested I chat up Miss Boianjiu as he knew she was single. I demurred. Pussy.

Anne Carson: Poet. Funnier than she would let on. Genius, but weird. Liked her a lot. I'll work on the poesy later.  

Joseph Boyden: Fully embraced the Native thingy, now. Tattoos and everything.

Paul Harding: Still as pleasant from his Pulitzer tour. Hair now going from salt-and-pepper to white. Success going to his head?

Colum McCann: Classy Irishman. Wish I had his swank. Especially with the brogue, and scarf thing going on.

Philipp Meyer: So humble and self-effacing for someone so creative. Pick up a copy of 'The Son' if you haven't already. This guy is going places! Also said that my copy of his first book, American Rust, was
                    really rare, so if you have a copy - keep it!  

George Pelecanos: Cool to finally meet the grumbly voice behind the books/The Wire. Signed everything with a smile. Answered a question with aplomb.

Donna Tartt: Writes a book every ten years. The event announcement noted she was only signing her latest issue. I asked her about this and she said wait 'til the end of the event. I did. She signed her
                  other books for me. Classy dame. Great accent.    

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #861 on: November 09, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »
Impulse buy (60 anadrolas at bricks-n-mortar B&N this morning; got home and ordered via Amazon for less than 40:

Boing Boing and Flavorwire are both liking this title. Must check it out. Good call, Mr. Singh.

NB: There's even a wooden box, limited edition of this book. Holy smokes.  :o

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #862 on: November 16, 2013, 06:08:06 AM »
Ben Coes-Eye for an Eye

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #863 on: November 19, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
Ben Coes-Eye for an Eye

Fun book....good read.

...chimps would probably say it's boring, unrealistic, and predictable ::)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #864 on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
muscle by john hotten ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
F

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #865 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:06 AM »
David Finkel's 'Thank You For Your Service.' A sequel of sorts to his earlier 'The Good Soldier,' this book looks at what has happened/is happening to members of the 2-6 battalion after their deployments are over and they try to recover their pre-war lives back home. Wow. Some soldiers have done better than others, but none have escaped 'uninjured,' whether it be physically and/or (especially) mentally. Where this book really shines is that its scope includes the families/loved ones of these soldiers and the household collateral damage a soldier's return brings. Pretty harrowing, and gets depressing at times with the constancy of failure to thrive, but the soldiers have got to be commended for their honesty in being involved in such an intimate record as they seek recovery. Very Recommended.  

ADD: Amazon has named this title as their non-fiction book of the year:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_dnav_bw_ir25_b?_encoding=UTF8&node=7756016011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=0CJKV7F5V3BMYZPT0964&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1650285102&pf_rd_i=7728816011

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #866 on: November 22, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
Congrats to National Book Award winners (fiction) James MCBride for his 'The Good Lord Bird' and George Packer (non-fiction) for 'The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America.' 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #867 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
I'm flying to New Zealand next Tuesday and have Bill Bryson's latest book and David Gemmell's Troy series at the ready on the Kindle. Just light reading.
Looked that one up and got a copy for my Da for X-Mas. Good call, James. Crime, baseball, movies, etc - looks really interesting. I'll see if I can snag it from his shelf when he's not around. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #868 on: November 28, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
Looked that one up and got a copy for my Da for X-Mas. Good call, James. Crime, baseball, movies, etc - looks really interesting. I'll see if I can snag it from his shelf when he's not around. 

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball with "Homer" inscribed on it.  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #869 on: November 28, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball with "Homer" inscribed on it.  ;D
Shhh, you.    ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #870 on: November 29, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
Anyone read House of Leaves?
Yes. Truly scary/weird book. The author wrote 'This is not for you' on my copy, signed it and added some cool magic marker art. Kinda creepy.  :) 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #871 on: November 29, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
Yes. Truly scary/weird book. The author wrote 'This is not for you' on my copy, signed it and added some cool magic marker art. Kinda creepy.  :) 

I enjoyed it, too. Never read anything like it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #872 on: December 01, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #873 on: December 01, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »