Author Topic: Flat versus Incline Bench  (Read 7691 times)

cptwatson

• Getbig I
Flat versus Incline Bench
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
I need help with building my chest. I like doing incline bench presses, but hate doing flat bench. For some reason, I have a fear of dropping the bar on my chest on the flat bench, but do not have this fear with the incline. Sounds crazy? Has anyone else ever felt this way? How did you overcome this? Thanks  - David
Ridin' high

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Flat versus Incline Bench
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
Use a cage and set the safetys, as you get more comfortable with the movemment lower the safetys until the bar touches your chest.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

POTA

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
At the very least do flat bench or flat dumbbell press with light-ass weight, since you're scared. Better to do something than nothing.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »
I really think  flat dumbbell presses are superior to the bar. Just go low and don't do half reps.

The way the pecs function during the bench is to bring your humerus bone to the center line of your sternum. So dumbbell presses moves your humerus bone wide then at the finish brings the arms together. It's a superior chest movement compared to the bar where your hands are fixed on the bar.

Another solution if you want to flat bar is what was mentioned. Bench in a cage with the safety bars set. You could find a setting where you can touch the chest with the bar. If you fail just take it a little lower and let the bar hit the safety bars.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
you sound like a beginner..if so,just use a lightish weight for 3-4 sets of 10-12 until form and confidence is gained.

If you`re not a newbie,then this pastime is probably not for you.

You don`t have to do benches to build a good chest,but you can`t be afraid of weight........healthy respect for poundage yes,fear,no!!

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:11:16 AM »
I need help with building my chest. I like doing incline bench presses, but hate doing flat bench. For some reason, I have a fear of dropping the bar on my chest on the flat bench, but do not have this fear with the incline. Sounds crazy? Has anyone else ever felt this way? How did you overcome this? Thanks  - David

Just use the smith machine...

cptwatson

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
Okay, a stupid question, may I ask: Why is it that doing incline bench presses are easier that doing flat bench presses? Or maybe it is just me....
Ridin' high

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
might just be the way your body is,,, i much prefer inclines, i will never flat bench again, for my structure it just kills my shoulders, i wish i never performed a single set of them to be totally honest

one things for sure, you dont need flat benches to build a good chest, incline bb or db, flat or slight decline db presses, db flys,,,

anyone who says otherwise is a brainwashed powerlifter or stuck in the pumping iron days

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
might just be the way your body is,,, i much prefer inclines, i will never flat bench again, for my structure it just kills my shoulders, i wish i never performed a single set of them to be totally honest

one things for sure, you dont need flat benches to build a good chest, incline bb or db, flat or slight decline db presses, db flys,,,

anyone who says otherwise is a brainwashed powerlifter or stuck in the pumping iron days
Great advice.

cptwatson

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I have been doing weights for a long time. I had no problem with squats and deadlifts, and when it came to chest, no problem with inclines. But, my flat bench went nowhere. One night I was doing flat bench and almost dropped the weight on myself at what I thought was a weight I could handle. Guess I learned otherwise.  Afterward, I stuck to inclines and db flyes, machines and pushups. Like it was said above, that is probably the way my body is.
Ridin' high

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:19 AM »
Parallel bar Dips are really good and as pointed out you do not need to Bench.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
I think that when it comes to pure chest development incline bench is superior to flat bench. So if you have plenty of upper body mass and are simply looking to bring up your chest this would be a smart move. But if you are looking for overall upperbody mass for your chest, delts, and triceps, flat bench is more productive since it allows you to use more weight.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
Met quite a few men (and a lot more women) who have a problem with even a light weight over them. Most noticed in squats (BB on shoulders/traps), overhead presses and flat/incline presses. Of course the men don't admitted any of this right away, but watching them train, you can catch on pretty quickly the amount of dread with any of those lifts. Can see it in their eyes. DB's don't seem that much of a threat with them.DL's can also be a cause of fear, that some how the weight (100lb or less) will rip their spines out and drop their balls (men) to the floor. Even when using DB's.

Something hard to get over at first, some really don't. A matter of building one's confidence in using equipment and exercises. Just try lifting in a PR/cage. Solid pin setting are  very dependable.  Or have a wide awake spotter (or two) standing by. Smith's do have accidents and are not 100% safety proof. They give the illusion of safety, but that's not always true. Some can panic using one.   PR/Cage, Smith or a good spotter (rare) ,nothing is 100% accident proof in any gym, home or otherwise. Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 08:27:52 AM »
funnily enough i have a similar kind of mental problem regarding deadlifts, theres times when im upto my final set weight and i totally loose it and end up in the crouched position counting to 3 over n over, only to give up and give me self a slap and get down to it again

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
time to stop being a pussy

rocco-x

• Getbig III
  • when all else fails just blame it on the "man"
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
never liked bb flats.always prefered my db flats but on an adjustable incline bench.this way i can play with the degrees of incline from flat or until it starts hitting mainly my front delts.can't be afraid of using big wght.you can always alternate from low reps high sets then to high reps low sets to spice things up.my favorite thing for whole chest development is wghted dips,inclines(db/bb) and a low incline heavy db flye movement.hits all parts of your pecs and will give you that "split' so many strive for...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
I'm kind of the opposite from most in this thread at the moment - I've gone back to doing flat barbell bench presses for about the last 6-8 weeks or so and getting good results from them, but I'm only lowering the bar to about an inch or two off my chest, not touching it - that way my shoulders aren't coming into play too much and I feel it reduces the risk of injury. But each to their own - experiment with dumbells as well and see how you go.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
I really think  flat dumbbell presses are superior to the bar. Just go low and don't do half reps.

The way the pecs function during the bench is to bring your humerus bone to the center line of your sternum. So dumbbell presses moves your humerus bone wide then at the finish brings the arms together. It's a superior chest movement compared to the bar where your hands are fixed on the bar.

Another solution if you want to flat bar is what was mentioned. Bench in a cage with the safety bars set. You could find a setting where you can touch the chest with the bar. If you fail just take it a little lower and let the bar hit the safety bars.
AGREED 110%. I still do bench press BUT my chest responds ALOT better to dumbell training, ESPECIALLY on FLAT MOVEMENTS, and especially with flat bench dumbell flys. My chest routine.........

Incline Bench 3-4 sets
Flat dumbell fly 3-4 sets
Flat Dumbell press 3-4 sets

chess315

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
it dont matter that much but as a said above if inclines tend to isolate the chest but if your upper body isnt large already or you havent mastered the barbell bench press the flat is generally best if you cant bench 1.5 times your weight or more your prolly better served flat benching. In my opioning inclines are not that good nor is any exercise if your strong enough to use reasonable poundage. The way to get strong enough flat bench, rows, squats and deads

EatShizzel

• Getbig II
  • I'm not cocky but my dick is
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Let the bar smash your face once and either you'll be over your fear or mentally retarded.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
it dont matter that much but as a said above if inclines tend to isolate the chest but if your upper body isnt large already or you havent mastered the barbell bench press the flat is generally best if you cant bench 1.5 times your weight or more your prolly better served flat benching. In my opioning inclines are not that good nor is any exercise if your strong enough to use reasonable poundage. The way to get strong enough flat bench, rows, squats and deads

i realy dont agree,,, id say at least half the people who have ever trained have long term shoulder issues because of flat benching, your either built to do them or your not....

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
buy one of these, there safer you can pile a ton of weight on them and bench incline decline flat or upright press. the range of motion is actually better than a normal bar due to yoke design...
F

chess315

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
most people have horrible benching technique to wide of girp shoulders not tight and flat backed, for a safe bench you need a medium type grip and have you should drove togther and into the bench hard the barbell bench is a full body exercise you have to be tight and stable

cptwatson

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 07:29:56 AM »
How about doing the bench in variations, such as wide grip, mid grip and close in or narrow grip. Does this make a difference?I have thought about  breaking my bench pressing down like this instead of doing just one grip.
Thanks for the responses and comments guys. I appreciate them..... :)
Ridin' high

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
most people have horrible benching technique to wide of girp shoulders not tight and flat backed, for a safe bench you need a medium type grip and have you should drove togther and into the bench hard the barbell bench is a full body exercise you have to be tight and stable

thats all well and good, but it still doesnt matter.... as i said your built for flat benches or your not, if your not dont do them, i guarantee you wont get a huge chest with fucked up shoulders

incline bb, db, flys.... will build as good or better.. only powerlifting based bodybuilders rely on flats