Author Topic: Why no dairy?  (Read 5091 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Why no dairy?
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »
I'm trying to lose weight (down a bunch, just trying to kill the last, and hardest, 15-20).  Every morning, I have 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese as part of my breakfast (after cardio).  How much is this hurting me, or is it?  I've heard a lot of contradictory advice about dairy.  Some say it makes skin thick, some say it helps weight loss, some say it hurts weight loss, some say bla bla bla... etc.

Personally, I find it to be a good source of protein, and the sodium keeps me from peeing like a madman in the morning, when I have a lot of water and caffeine after cardio. 

I don't drink milk (gross), and I don't have any other dairy, except for the occasional pizza (once a month) when out to dinner.

Anyone care to chime in on this?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Why no dairy?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Unless you`re training for a contest,cottage cheese is a great protein source........especially before bed as it digests slowly (contains casein protein).

Personally,and I have no scientific explanation for it,but pre-contest I stay away from all dairy as for some reason it doesn`t help as you mentioned above.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
Unless you`re training for a contest,cottage cheese is a great protein source........especially before bed as it digests slowly (contains casein protein).

Personally,and I have no scientific explanation for it,but pre-contest I stay away from all dairy as for some reason it doesn`t help as you mentioned above.

but its not going to preclude me from losing those last 15-20 and making the old abs visible again?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »
No,just make sure that you are eating clean,drinking tons of water,low fats,low carbs, or carb cycling,high protein from lean sources,portion control, and frequent smaller feedings.

It`s all calories in vs. calories out.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
Some say it makes skin thick

This right here.  For me thats an understatement.  I hold a ton of water if I consume dairy regularly so if I'm leaning out its hard to tell what is fat and what is just water weight.  I say for this time of year lose the dairy and save it for those winter months. 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:17:35 AM »
This right here.  For me thats an understatement.  I hold a ton of water if I consume dairy regularly so if I'm leaning out its hard to tell what is fat and what is just water weight.  I say for this time of year lose the dairy and save it for those winter months. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 02:41:12 AM »
I'm trying to lose weight (down a bunch, just trying to kill the last, and hardest, 15-20).  Every morning, I have 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese as part of my breakfast (after cardio).  How much is this hurting me, or is it?  I've heard a lot of contradictory advice about dairy.  Some say it makes skin thick, some say it helps weight loss, some say it hurts weight loss, some say bla bla bla... etc.

Personally, I find it to be a good source of protein, and the sodium keeps me from peeing like a madman in the morning, when I have a lot of water and caffeine after cardio. 

I don't drink milk (gross), and I don't have any other dairy, except for the occasional pizza (once a month) when out to dinner.

Anyone care to chime in on this?

Cottage cheese is almost pure casein with a small amount of lactose that gets carried into the cheese because the filtration process is not perfect. The lactalbumin(whey) is eliminated. Both casein and lactose are hard for adult Humans to process, except for Scandinavians and some African tribesmem who have the lactose tolerance gene.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:32:51 AM »
LOL. Very clever Wes.. 8)

And you nailed it on the head in the sense that who know what the science behind it is..all I can say is what I see in the mirror.

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
it's said to create a thin layer of fat above the muscle, but as Wes said, this is only an issue if you're a contest bodybuilder.  otherwise, drink 3 gallons a day if you want, 1 percent or skim lol

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
Religion of cheese  ::)

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
Religion of cheese

I thought it was Government Cheese

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48:05 AM »
LOL. Very clever Wes.. 8)

And you nailed it on the head in the sense that who know what the science behind it is..all I can say is what I see in the mirror.
SAme here bro,and the mirror never lies.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
it's said to create a thin layer of fat above the muscle, but as Wes said, this is only an issue if you're a contest bodybuilder.  otherwise, drink 3 gallons a day if you want, 1 percent or skim lol

Even if your not a competitive bodybuilder, holding that extra water will stop you from looking your best..not to mention you probably wont be feeling your best by how bloated youll be if your drinking that much milk.  I might just not be sensing the sarcasm but 3 gallons of milk every day would have most people hearing the water slushing around your body as you walk around. 

I used to know a guy that would drink a gallon of milk every day.  He was really lean and apparently he could digest that much lactose but def never looked his best.  You could see he was holding a ton of water..face was bloated..to me he was really holding himself back from looking better than he did.  But hey if you can pull it off without having any negative effects than more power to you!!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
ok, but is one cup of cottage cheese a day really going to hurt?  That's not really 3 gallons, now is it?

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
Even if your not a competitive bodybuilder, holding that extra water will stop you from looking your best..not to mention you probably wont be feeling your best by how bloated youll be if your drinking that much milk.  I might just not be sensing the sarcasm but 3 gallons of milk every day would have most people hearing the water slushing around your body as you walk around. 

I used to know a guy that would drink a gallon of milk every day.  He was really lean and apparently he could digest that much lactose but def never looked his best.  You could see he was holding a ton of water..face was bloated..to me he was really holding himself back from looking better than he did.  But hey if you can pull it off without having any negative effects than more power to you!!

just fukcing around with the 3 gallons lol. 
Talk about not showing your toilet any mercy!

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »

just fukcing around with the 3 gallons lol. 
Talk about not showing your toilet any mercy!

Gotchya bro..ya I dont know anyone that wouldnt be giving their sewage system a run for its money w that much milk..lol.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
Ive use cottage cheese in the past..as the last meal of the day..Great taste and fills you up.  :)

Disadvantages for me are its sodium content, too high and makes you bloated and holding water.

But if your not competing... dont get paranoid about this nonsense, its a great protein source! cheap too.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »
  Cottage cheese is almost pure casein with a small amount of lactose that gets carried into the cheese because the filtration process is not perfect. The lactalbumin(whey) is eliminated. Both casein and lactose are hard for adult Humans to process, except for Scandinavians and some African tribesmem who have the lactose tolerance gene.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

so? what does that have to do with body composition, it also contains lectins and opiate like compounds that increase histamine but that is also pointless to discuss. Not sure why you mentioned this?

At fitness for life
"it's said to create a thin layer of fat above the muscle, but as Wes said, this is only an issue if you're a contest bodybuilder.  otherwise, drink 3 gallons a day if you want, 1 percent or skim lol"

What do you mean here? as stated it is false.

Milk enhances lipolysis of the rate of fat loss

Nutr Res Rev. 2011 Feb 15:1-24. [Epub ahead of print]
Associations between dairy consumption and body weight: a review of the evidence and underlying mechanisms.
Dougkas A, Reynolds CK, Givens ID, Elwood PC, Minihane AM.
Source

Nutritional Sciences Research Unit, School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AR, UK.
Abstract

As the incidence of obesity is reaching 'epidemic' proportions, there is currently widespread interest in the impact of dietary components on body-weight and food intake regulation. The majority of data available from both epidemiological and intervention studies provide evidence of a negative but modest association between milk and dairy product consumption and BMI and other measures of adiposity, with indications that higher intakes result in increased weight loss and lean tissue maintenance during energy restriction. The purported physiological and molecular mechanisms underlying the impact of dairy constituents on adiposity are incompletely understood but may include effects on lipolysis, lipogeneis and fatty acid absorption. Furthermore, accumulating evidence indicates an impact of dairy constituents, in particular whey protein derivatives, on appetite regulation and food intake. The present review summarises available data and provides an insight into the likely contribution of dairy foods to strategies aimed at appetite regulation, weight loss or the prevention of weight gain.

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
so? what does that have to do with body composition, it also contains lectins and opiate like compounds that increase histamine but that is also pointless to discuss. Not sure why you mentioned this?

At fitness for life
"it's said to create a thin layer of fat above the muscle, but as Wes said, this is only an issue if you're a contest bodybuilder.  otherwise, drink 3 gallons a day if you want, 1 percent or skim lol"

What do you mean here? as stated it is false.

Milk enhances lipolysis of the rate of fat loss

Nutr Res Rev. 2011 Feb 15:1-24. [Epub ahead of print]
Associations between dairy consumption and body weight: a review of the evidence and underlying mechanisms.
Dougkas A, Reynolds CK, Givens ID, Elwood PC, Minihane AM.
Source

Nutritional Sciences Research Unit, School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AR, UK.
Abstract

As the incidence of obesity is reaching 'epidemic' proportions, there is currently widespread interest in the impact of dietary components on body-weight and food intake regulation. The majority of data available from both epidemiological and intervention studies provide evidence of a negative but modest association between milk and dairy product consumption and BMI and other measures of adiposity, with indications that higher intakes result in increased weight loss and lean tissue maintenance during energy restriction. The purported physiological and molecular mechanisms underlying the impact of dairy constituents on adiposity are incompletely understood but may include effects on lipolysis, lipogeneis and fatty acid absorption. Furthermore, accumulating evidence indicates an impact of dairy constituents, in particular whey protein derivatives, on appetite regulation and food intake. The present review summarises available data and provides an insight into the likely contribution of dairy foods to strategies aimed at appetite regulation, weight loss or the prevention of weight gain.

Next time you speak to any competitive bodybuilder getting ready for a show, ask them if they're still drinking milk.  I think you'll find the answer to be universally NO. 
For the regular person, it's ok.  ONCE AGAIN, the 3 gallon statement was a joke, geez.  Who would do something like that, people get challenged at fatass competitions to down 1 gallon of mile and 80 percent of them throw up, think about it.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:30 AM »
Next time you speak to any competitive bodybuilder getting ready for a show, ask them if they're still drinking milk.  I think you'll find the answer to be universally NO. 
For the regular person, it's ok.  ONCE AGAIN, the 3 gallon statement was a joke, geez.  Who would do something like that, people get challenged at fatass competitions to down 1 gallon of mile and 80 percent of them throw up, think about it.

sure, doesn't mean they are right.

look up the size of the average stomach and you will figure out why they throw up. I got your joke im just saying the data says otherwise, i don't dispute it could have effects on bodybuilders near showtime. I doubt it though.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 11:08:55 AM »

You are confused. He mentioned it upset his stomach, so I pointed out that both lactose and casein are difficult to digest for many adults. My point had nothing to do with the effect of casein on body composition...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
  You are confused. He mentioned it upset his stomach, so I pointed out that both lactose and casein are difficult to digest for many adults. My point had nothing to do with the effect of casein on body composition...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

so i am, i thought you were stating it as the reason for body composition, my bad.

Dairy makes me feel like shit in general ftr.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »
so i am, i thought you were stating it as the reason for body composition, my bad.

Dairy makes me feel like shit in general ftr.

Is that ALL dairy (in reasonable quantities)?
:

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
Is that ALL dairy (in reasonable quantities)?

all dairy, i am prone to allergy so the histaminergic properties of dairy makes me feel stuffed up and congested. I have no GI complaints with dairy, i just tend towards inflammation and dairy doesn't help. i perhaps also have a sensitivity to the compound (casein,whey), as a couple week abstinence abolishes the negatives almost completely, only to revert to baseline after a couple weeks of constant consumption.

Actually, maybe not ALL dairy, i really only have whey protein powder and cheese for the most part. Did you have something in mind?