Author Topic: Arnold is overrated as a bodybuilder  (Read 33290 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Arnold is overrated as a bodybuilder
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
Schwarze was good, but Nubret was always lurking.

Bodybuilding is about who looks the best, not about most development humanly possible.
Spot on!!! Good post.

I think Arnold and Serge were neck and neck. Arnold probably had better legs.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
Spot on!!! Good post.

Exactly.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »
Nobody can think of Arnold's body without thinking about his persona and achievements. If he was as personable as Dexter Jackson, this topic wouldn't even exist.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
Spot on!!! Good post.

better legs yes, but his huge upper body eclipsed them making them look smaller. but Surge's physique just flowed beautifully, man. when 'bodybuilding' comes to mind its Nubret all the way.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
serge is dead . and was no match for the oak i think . he had a great upper body and thats all .  IMO . SYMMETRY NOT . .

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
someone post those pics of Arnold taken on that boardwalk by that river when he was his all time tightest/ leanest.

that should about end all talk of how 'overrated' he was.
b

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
Nobody can think of Arnold's body without thinking about his persona and achievements. If he was as personable as Dexter Jackson, this topic wouldn't even exist.

This. Arnold had plenty of flaws but he wrote (may it be in a dirty or righteous way) his own "legend". Bbers are mostly dull. Nubret to me had a better physique then Arnold. I live in in Paris. I know quite a few people who knew Nubret and saw him myself a few times. Not exactly someone that would fascinate you in any way.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
Spot on!!! Good post.

Arnold had more than better legs , ever notice how people only post from shots of Serge? Serge had no back and no legs

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
i underrated him for years

thought he was just a twink next to big ron

but i dont know he looked pretty spectacular all things considered

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
Arnold's name was, is, and will be synonymous with bodybuilding for generations to come - like him or not.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »
yea nubret awesome physique just standing there, open him out though and he was full of weaknesses.
Arnold had more than better legs , ever notice how people only post from shots of Serge? Serge had no back and no legs

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »
i underrated him for years

thought he was just a twink next to big ron

but i dont know he looked pretty spectacular all things considered

Arnold:
Off-Season Weight: Around 260 lbs.
Competition Weight: Around 235 lbs.

Ronnie:
Off-Season Weight: 315 Lbs
Competition Weight: 300 Lbs.

And Arnold was much taller, so it's Ronnie > Arnold.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »
Arnold:
Off-Season Weight: Around 260 lbs.
Competition Weight: Around 235 lbs.

Ronnie:
Off-Season Weight: 315 Lbs
Competition Weight: 300 Lbs.

And Arnold was much taller, so it's Ronnie > Arnold.
for sure

ronnie is number one

but arnold, not bad, not bad at all

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
i have done a few things and have seen more than a little dick

:o

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
He was a good bodybuilder. But there have been dozens of guys who are better than him in the past few decades.

For his time, Arnold was good. But in the big picture he is not that great. He's got weak points and his conditioning wasn't that great.

Overrated. If he had a shit personality like most bodybuilders then he wouldn't be considered nearly as great.
maye the gentleman above has pictures from himself to reinforce his comment?

or it this merely the opinion of an adult entertainment muscle worshiper fan?
n

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2013, 12:03:49 AM »

Sadly, Sammir never duplicated his winning 1983 condition. To think that he actually beat Lee Haney several times both in 1982 and in 1983, at a bodyweight of LESS THAN 190. Come 1984, it was lights out until Dorian came around, along with the new breed and then it was out with the old (with exception to Vince Taylor), in the with the new.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »
. too bad that high circles bodybuilding is almost purely american activity . . but curiously a n austrian who came here in 1968 . became synonymous with this strange sport ..

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »
He was a good bodybuilder. But there have been dozens of guys who are better than him in the past few decades.

For his time, Arnold was good. But in the big picture he is not that great. He's got weak points and his conditioning wasn't that great.

Overrated. If he had a shit personality like most bodybuilders then he wouldn't be considered nearly as great.

Probably think Journey was overrated because it's popular to bash em these days..... Probably think the 69 Camaro was overrated because the newer cars have more horsepower...

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2013, 07:53:29 AM »
Good writing should be concise, simple, read easily and quickly. It's all about conveying ideas in the best and most functional way. Using fruity, flowery language is for wanna-be writers. Writing in words that the reader does not know is never a good thing to do. Anyone can do it. It's not impressive.

I like Reeves, but concerning wannabe writers, this is spot-on.  Any kind of writing's simply a form of communication, and the first rule of effective communication is the speaker/writer's message is easily understood.  You can pop out with all of the vis-a-vis, prima facie, perfidiousness, usufruct and callipygian-type words you like; it's all gasconading circumlocution in the end ;) :P

More people should study Hemingway.  He could paint beautiful pictures with parsimonious language ;)  ::)  

... no, really, though:  Hemingway rocks.  He could do more with five words than many authors could with 10.  And he certainly knew better than to fap away with multi-syllabic words that plebs don't know.  

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »
"probably truth"  ??? ::)
He's the most earning one and was good in his days, but not the best, compared with guys like these

With all respect, I can't agree about Serge.  He looked fantastic just standing there, with killer abs and pecs.  But I honestly don't see how he's better balanced than Arnold.  Better abs, yes -- but Arnold trumps him on everything else.  Arnold's legs were better.  His back was better.  His pecs were thicker and his arms were a lot bigger and better. 

Robby might be a different story.  He has a much lighter frame but has more dramatic proportions, particularly in some poses.  The legs would always be a weakness against Arnold, though. 

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
arnold thighs that is . but in his days few had amazing thighs . i think the 45 degree leg press was non existant in the first place . . arnold had great calves but . yes lacked balance . triceps forearms . comes to mind .

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »
Not in peak years, esp 74

arnold thighs that is . but in his days few had amazing thighs . i think the 45 degree leg press was non existant in the first place . . arnold had great calves but . yes lacked balance . triceps forearms . comes to mind .

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »

You done? Now go stick your head back up your ass..

Branchs Ears

• Getbig III
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
A bodybuilder should be judged by how he fared against the competition during his time. Arnold was far and away the best bodybuilder during his time. He may not have absolutely crushed the competition the way Haney did, but he kicked their asses pretty damn good. Give the man the respect he deserves.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
Agree, and compared to guys from his era he was "good" but still overrated. For example, Robbie Robinson and Serge Nubret were way better than him.
Arnold had more self-confidence and charisma, and was a good friend of Joe. Those factors played a -important- role in his success.

Joe really made Arnold.  I agree that he would not have had his Olympia success without the Weider boys pressing certain buttons.  But Arnold was smart enough to use that to launch his own plan for success.