Author Topic: Was Mike Mentzer alone ?  (Read 32587 times)

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Was Mike Mentzer alone ?
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »
hahahhaha

is that all you got?
fuk me that is lame. You come out saying "DONT EVER SAY FUCK YOU TO ME"

and when i tell you and all ur family to go fuk urselves, this is your answer???

oh lordy lordy

just leave man

get an attitude adjustment......man

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:44 AM »
No, Mike Mentzer was not alone.  There were also Arthur Jones, Casey Viator, Sergio Oliva and Dorian Yates.  

That picture of Sergio is the greatest Bodybuilding shot ever!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:32 AM »
No, Mike Mentzer was not alone.  There were also Arthur Jones, Casey Viator, Sergio Oliva and Dorian Yates.  

Viator in his best condition ever was the Olympia where Dickerson won. He was doing 15 sets per body part. Sergio trained for a couple of weeks in Florida with Jones and every HIT guy says he is the result of HIT. He trained with conventional equipment and plenty of volume prior to visiting Jones and after. Don't believe the propaganda.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
Good thread.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
These are all opinions.  Was Casey better back in the early 1970's under Jones or years later when he made him comeback.  I'd say he was better when he was taking the bodybuilding world by storm in 1970.

Did Mentzer make tremendous progress using HIT?  Yes, absolutely.

They both used drugs.  Their results were dependent on that fact, just as Arnold, Columbu, etc, all made great results with high volume.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Exactly,and everyone who went against his dogma was wrong no matter how great they looked.

I have found by both observation and personal experience that a good debate of ideas can be educational, enlightening and respectful, and that someone who spends their time trying to prove everyone else wrong leaves a person bitter, alone(except with negative minded folk who share your pessimism)and limiting as to fulfilling potential because of the closed minded thinking.

I am certain from other people here who have known Mike that he was a nice guy, but that he also was probably the second category of the type I pointed out above.

I recall seeing that YOUTUBE vid here a while back where he is sitting around with a couple of people, they were filming those training videos of his at the time, and the scene reminded me of those blithering idiot old drunks you see at a shady bar who chain smoke and ramble on like the know it alls they think they are. To me that was pretty sad to see one of the people I looked up to in weight training, especially a man who had success and smarts like Mike did,to be carrying on like that. Never mind the fact that he preached a weight training theory that had people in the gym less frequently, preached about how it gave you more time to enjoy life yet the guy himself could not even find the 30 minutes a few times a week to workout like he preached the last what 10-20 years of his life. Not pissing on his grave, just saying how I see it.

I don't know just me, but real intelligence comes from an open mind, and one side of that you have the too smart for there own good(see most political/race threads for an example), and on the other side you have the retard who cares about learning everything, being everything, takes/gives loads of advice and never follows it(think your average Jason Genova video.)

To me Mike was too smart for his own good and had he kept a more open mind rather than being dogmatic I suspect he would have made millions, kept those millions, and would probably be still alive today and not self medicating himself to death with first speed and later jack daniels.
"

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
  great thread

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
I have found by both observation and personal experience that a good debate of ideas can be educational, enlightening and respectful, and that someone who spends their time trying to prove everyone else wrong leaves a person bitter, alone(except with negative minded folk who share your pessimism)and limiting as to fulfilling potential because of the closed minded thinking.

I am certain from other people here who have known Mike that he was a nice guy, but that he also was probably the second category of the type I pointed out above.

I recall seeing that YOUTUBE vid here a while back where he is sitting around with a couple of people, they were filming those training videos of his at the time, and the scene reminded me of those blithering idiot old drunks you see at a shady bar who chain smoke and ramble on like the know it alls they think they are. To me that was pretty sad to see one of the people I looked up to in weight training, especially a man who had success and smarts like Mike did,to be carrying on like that. Never mind the fact that he preached a weight training theory that had people in the gym less frequently, preached about how it gave you more time to enjoy life yet the guy himself could not even find the 30 minutes a few times a week to workout like he preached the last what 10-20 years of his life. Not pissing on his grave, just saying how I see it.

I don't know just me, but real intelligence comes from an open mind, and one side of that you have the too smart for there own good(see most political/race threads for an example), and on the other side you have the retard who cares about learning everything, being everything, takes/gives loads of advice and never follows it(think your average Jason Genova video.)

To me Mike was too smart for his own good and had he kept a more open mind rather than being dogmatic I suspect he would have made millions, kept those millions, and would probably be still alive today and not self medicating himself to death with first speed and later jack daniels.

X2 (times two).. At the end of the day, there is really no wrong way to train provided that muscles are thoroughly stimulated..

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
These are all opinions.  Was Casey better back in the early 1970's under Jones or years later when he made him comeback.  I'd say he was better when he was taking the bodybuilding world by storm in 1970.

They both used drugs.  Their results were dependent on that fact, just as Arnold, Columbu, etc, all made great results with high volume.

.. Had Casey Viator under Art Jones, and Mike Mentzer- swapped workout regiments with Arnold & Franco; they would have probably all achieved the same results with the same physiques ..

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
mentzer is a whore, did he use HIT to build his competition physique

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »

He was obviously bitter and fed up with bbing initially, and then life's problems compounded with depression, drugs, alcohol contributed to his mental demise

Never mind HIT vs volume, he needed mental help and care and assistance

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »
Viator in his best condition ever was the Olympia where Dickerson won. He was doing 15 sets per body part. Sergio trained for a couple of weeks in Florida with Jones and every HIT guy says he is the result of HIT. He trained with conventional equipment and plenty of volume prior to visiting Jones and after. Don't believe the propaganda.
Viator was involved in "colorado experiment", he got paid to get out of shape, stop steroid use, and then resumed steroid use after "before" pics. Some staged nautilus pics, and "after" pics

Sergio was there for a couple weeks, few pics while there and with nautilus machines, and automatically he's a Jones disciple. Also got paid. Sergio was huge then, massive bloat around face, really huge. Not fat, huge

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:36 AM »

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2013, 03:25:58 AM »
High Intensity Training or HIT, is passe.......I have since moved on to Super High Intensity Training....or SHIT.  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »
Viator was involved in "colorado experiment", he got paid to get out of shape, stop steroid use, and then resumed steroid use after "before" pics. Some staged nautilus pics, and "after" pics

Sergio was there for a couple weeks, few pics while there and with nautilus machines, and automatically he's a Jones disciple. Also got paid. Sergio was huge then, massive bloat around face, really huge. Not fat, huge

I heard he also had a bad infection from having a finger severed prior to that "experiment."  That and not being on juice could have been the before pictures. Some suggested that they knew he did more than the Nautilus workouts too.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »
High Intensity Training or HIT, is passe.......I have since moved on to Super High Intensity Training....or SHIT.  ;)
LMAO!
H

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
Mentzer claimed to be logical and scientific but his approach demonstrated that he understood little of how science actually works.

What he relied on was not science but instead, the logic of language.

What's more, he could only get away with it because an audience made up of teenagers and bodybuilders isn't exactly the most intellectually discriminating one.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
Mentzer claimed to be logical and scientific but his approach demonstrated that he understood little of how science actually works.

What he relied on was not science but instead, the logic of language.

What's more, he could only get away with it because an audience made up of teenagers and bodybuilders isn't exactly the most intellectually discriminating one.
its called broscience

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
I think he referred to the studies obliquely in a few of his articles, but didn't use MLA or APA style footnoting etc.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »

His all time best condition was at the London Olympia where Dickerson won. It's so drastic the change in his physique from the 70's where he was big but was not ripped. In London he was big and insanely ripped. David Young said he trained in the same gym as Viator and he said he used 15 sets per body part.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »
His all time best condition was at the London Olympia where Dickerson won. It's so drastic the change in his physique from the 70's where he was big but was not ripped. In London he was big and insanely ripped. David Young said he trained in the same gym as Viator and he said he used 15 sets per body part.

Crazy big at 19 yrs old!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2013, 09:04:38 AM »

I remember reading an interview with Casey just before the show and he mentioned that he had been on a 1500 calorie diet for a while.

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
I remember reading an interview with Casey just before the show and he mentioned that he had been on a 1500 calorie diet for a while.

Which is entirely possible when you are using amphetamines as a diet aid..

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
Which is entirely possible when you are using amphetamines as a diet aid..

Which Casey is known for being a heavy user of. Along with the Mentzer bros