Author Topic: "Breathing squats"?  (Read 16022 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: "Breathing squats"?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:40 AM »

They also told me that doing "something" too much would make me go blind, but I only did it until I needed glasses.
those were some good movie{s} i only seen the one.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
They do sound like classic's.

Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
those were some good movie{s} i only seen the one.

Ha!!
I never saw either of those; didn't even know they exist.
I once heard a guy use the "glasses" line and it's always stuck.

Looks like I need to hit up Netflix.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »

Ha!!
I never saw either of those; didn't even know they exist.
I once heard a guy use the "glasses" line and it's always stuck.

Looks like I need to hit up Netflix.
leave it to me to come up with crap like this. i'm a fount of useless info. i think robin williams might have been in the one but not 100% sure. of course it was before he was famous.
F

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
This technique was mentioned in the "intense training" thread (i think).  First off, fuck the person who invented this training theory.  I almost puked from this today, but it was a great workout.  I did it with the pullovers too.  Fuck.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 08:06:26 AM »
This technique was mentioned in the "intense training" thread (i think).  First off, fuck the person who invented this training theory.  I almost puked from this today, but it was a great workout.  I did it with the pullovers too.  Fuck.
this is one of the guys who pushed it. peary rader owner of ironman mag before he sold it to john balik who ruined the mag, sorry john just my opinion.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »
Think that device that Rader is standing in was called a magic circle.  Maybe a good idea, but impractical to use. If you lost your balance (for whatever reason) and fell,that would be a big problem. Even getting under it was difficult. Told this by one old BB'ing vet, years ago.

Beyond that, Rader was the only provider of honest common sense in training, at that time.  IronMan magazine lead the way for years. He published in in the middle of Nebraska..not the hot bed of BB'ing or lifting.

Funk51 is right, Balik tried to make a glossy BS Weider style rag out of IronMan...Failed!!!  Too bad, great potential wasted.  But than again, maybe people just couldn't handle the truth..... Good Luck.

F

chess315

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
they breathing squats might be more suited for naturals or good for a change of routines. Its my opinion the gains from it are more associated from the time your under the load and switching from maybe over training to abbreviated training.

breath squats 1 x 20
pull overs   1 x 20
chins 3 sets max rep
dips 3 sets max reps

that the supersquats routine made popular by randle strossen

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
this is one of the guys who pushed it. peary rader owner of ironman mag before he sold it to john balik who ruined the mag, sorry john just my opinion.
yes later Frank Zane thought about the squating problem about a heavy bar on your shoulders/traps and then came the Zane leg Blaster ( i think that was the name ). It was a bit more practical and i am not sure if it sold well.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
What a fool I am, I almost forgot this thread..i should try them at least once. I have to remind myself this upcomming legday.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »
Ive tried them 2 days ago.. Damn they were good. 3 sets of 2plates each. 1st I did 20 reps, 2nd 18 and 3rd 14 :D..i just couldnt do more in the last set..after each of these sets I did a set pullovers B)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:51 AM »
I was able to continue the rest of my workout too.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Meso_z:  

Those were good breaking in sets (3).  Next workout slap another 25lb plate, on each side (total 50lbs), and settle in for some serious work.  The idea is to tax the body way beyond it normal workout capacity. Using a squat weight that would normally be used for 10 good reps and taking that to the full 20 targeted reps. If done correctly, than another set would be questionable and a third one, nearly impossible. The CNS may rebel.

Beginning with three deep breaths/gasp (through the mouth). Nearing the end of the 20 rep set, you may be taking 5 or 6 breaths (or more) between reps. This program is very demanding on the mental, as well as the physical,  strength of will power. The chest may feel like it may burst open.  Breathing squats are akin to the Rest-Pause idea. The rib box should be quite sore the next few days after this type of extreme workout.  Try adding at least 5lbs  (2 1/2 each side) with each following training session. The progressive workout load is one of the major concepts of this type training,when training with very serious intent.  If feeling dizzy/light headed, than stop the exercise right away. It's something that will take adapting to, by the body. And would suggest doing the squats in a PR/cage/safety rack, spotters/etc, if problems arise.  Good luck.

Just to note: 400lb + have been used by men, in the 20 reps breathing squat, over the years. Had a few high school and college athletes manage that , quite well. If nothing else, it will build major stamina (endurance + strength). Can also use clean, Hi-pulls, DL's, SLDL, etc. But , in truth, nothing beats the squat for this type of training.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
well on Wednesday i might do it on leg Day...can't wait for the pain.... ;D

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:02 AM »
Cool, thanks for the responses guys. :D im gonna try this again in my next leg workout coming in two days, I hope i'll do better this time  8)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »
well on Wednesday i might do it on leg Day...can't wait for the pain.... ;D
good luck man  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 04:46:08 AM »