Author Topic: and people have the cheek to say mma is better than boxing.. chuckle !  (Read 12642 times)

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature

lol and boxers can take a punch?  ::)   ::)

see, I could play that angle all day long like boxing fans does when talking about mma lol.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
Haha , you sound just as ignorant as Swede and all the MMA nuthuggers.

so you are saying that sparring has no affect whatsoever on ones ability to take a punch?

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
lol and boxers can take a punch?  ::)   ::)

see, I could play that angle all day long like boxing fans does when talking about mma lol.

um yeah, did you see that shot?
That would of knocked out all MMA fighters in his weightclass for sure.

Swede!

• Getbig IV
um yeah, did you see that shot?
That would of knocked out all MMA fighters in his weightclass for sure.

did you not read the post? Or are you a part of the majority of americans that doesn't understand sarcasm/irony?

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
did you not read the post? Or are you a part of the majority of americans that doesn't understand sarcasm/irony?

opps, my bad man didnt see that
i am a brit tho

che

• Getbig V
so you are saying that sparring has no affect whatsoever on ones ability to take a punch?

You get used to been  punch in the face (nose,forehead ....)   but you can not  train your chin  that's why we work on defense so much..

Swede!

• Getbig IV
opps, my bad man didnt see that
i am a brit tho

its all good. Americans have a tendency to read and Still not get it lol

bradistani

• Getbig V
Nah the argument was boxing vs MMA (ko ratio )  not the same guy , BTW I fought boxers that punched like girls and MMA guys with pretty heavy hands , IMHO the size  of the  gloves  (between 4oz  MMA and  say Cleto Reyes 8 oz ) don't make  any  difference ,

Check this out ,Martinez isn't a heavy handed boxer ,   big gloves , 2nd round,  Williams  fresh ""ironchin"" fighter........etc ,  doesn't matter  what size gloves  you are wearing, you don't see the punch coming  you are going to sleep as simple as that.

sweet. i'll never forget this brutal ko by julian jackson

che

• Getbig V
sweet. i'll never forget this brutal ko by julian jackson

Indeed Jackson was a heavy handed mofo.

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
Nah the argument was boxing vs MMA (ko ratio )  not the same guy ,

Obviously, if I say it is worse getting hit with a 4oz glove than an 10oz glove, I'm talking about all else being equal.  If not, you could argue that getting hit on the chin by Mike Tyson with a 16oz glove is worse than getting hit in the shoulder by an old lady with 4oz gloves.  Clearly, you'll get no argument on that.  If you honestly think that taking a left hook from Tyson wearing 4oz gloves is no worse than taking the same shot with a 12oz glove, all I can say is that we disagree.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent

che

• Getbig V
 If you honestly think that taking a left hook from Tyson wearing 4oz gloves is no worse than taking the same shot with a 12oz glove,

Same consequence.

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
Same consequence.

So you honestly think that the glove makes is no difference whatsoever?  What if one guy was wearing 60oz gloves, still no difference?

che

• Getbig V
So you honestly think that the glove makes is no difference whatsoever?  What if one guy was wearing 60oz gloves, still no difference?
;D Haha , nah  I was talking about   between 4oz MMA vs Cleto Reyes 8oz ( no much difference)  ,  between 4oz and 12 -14-16  oz  yes  you can tell the difference.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Im staying Alot more positive, my old self would have adressed Alot of the comments in this thread since as always in mma thread most of them are retarded lol, now just a few and just adding a few videos lol

you should try the same =) All your negativity is certainly spilling over into your personal life in one way or another
you re just ignorant . We all have predeterminated states of mind  (3 to 4 for most people) and we cruise from one to another depending of the cirumstances in life but they never change. You ll get back to your old self.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
mma was originally for fighters who wanted to prove themselves as fighters. (no money just reputation)

but now its for geeky kids who think they have a chance because they do karate or something with a robe.

boxing was originally for money and a way to eat. thats why you had the best of the best fighting for their life.

now its just for football and basketball rejects. (generally blacks because the whites have been weeded out)

then you have the fighters who took up boxing because thats all there was i.e foreman, liston, tyson and toney

toney is fighting again in mma, not for the money because realistically who wouldnt even be making more than $20k

but because he is a fighter at heart and he wants to fight

put the boxers from the 1900s and up in mma and mma would be rule the world

chess315

the boxers of the 90s arent even the right size to fight what would they be 210lb heavy weights with no wrestling skills. all things being equal most of the 90s heavy weights are small men.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Epic ASS beating right here...........

che

• Getbig V
the boxers of the 90s arent even the right size to fight
WTF does that even mean  ???

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Most people seems to be that ignorant at first, Especially americans, and especially boxing fans. I dont know why. Would be funny to argue with the same type of ignorance boxing fans are using when talking about mma though just for the fun of it , but I dont care that much haha.
But boxing fans seem to care alot more about mma then mma fans does about boxing which is pretty funny to see lol.

Boxers are dragsters and mma fighters are f-1 cars.

Brutal truth. In MMA I don't ever remember any discussion about how any of us would do against a boxer in the ring. It's almost like wonder how we would stack up in those strong men contest against their guys. We weren't boxers and it just wasn't even an issue that we wouldn't last a round unless we ran away the whole time. Nor do I ever recall who would win all else being equal on the street. We just never thought about boxers in a competitive sense other than we need to learn from them because most MMA fighters come from wrestling/Jiu-Jitsu backgrounds (at least back in those days) and our stand up sucked. I've found without exception that it's always boxers, rather boxing fans, that seem preoccupied with this whole MMA vs Boxing nonsense.

I don't know. Maybe they just feel threatened that it's going to kill the fan base for their sport. I think it's possible to be a fan of both and one isn't going to diminish the other. MMA is growing and it has a wide appeal to the young men but it's not taking these men away from boxing. But I don't think that if MMA never existed that these young men would have turned their attention to boxing instead. There are other reasons, more serious issues, that are hurting boxing as a sport.

pellius

• Getbig V

Here's how I look at it. I've been choked unconscious before. For the sake of argument say it takes exactly ten seconds for me to be put out. I remember the first time getting choked out the sense of panic I felt. You go through this "death rattle" before you are out cold. When you get close to be choked out you feel this same sense of panic and want to get out or tap as quickly as possible. As the years go by you get use to it. You don't panic. Often just by being relaxed and not panicking you can manage to escape or have your opponent release because he doesn't think he has it. But this not change the end result that after ten seconds in a legit carotid choke you are going out. I specify carotid choke because it's cutting off blood flow to the brain and not the type of choke that cuts oxygen to your lungs. You can train yourself to hold your breath longer.

So, as by way of comparison, if it takes X amount of foot pounds getting hit on the button to put you out you are not going to be able to change that. You will be far, far more desensitize to being hit than the average schmoe out there where just a tap on the face sends them into a state of panic and confusion, but a knock out punch will still always be a knock out punch. In fact, I would argue that as the years go by your knock out tolerance goes down. Years of getting pounded doesn't necessarily toughen you up but may in fact "soften" you up. Again, pure speculation on my part but you just see it all the time as fighters age. Wanderlie Silva is really not that old. I think he is maybe 2-3 years older than Leben but I've seen him take some lethal shots and still keep coming like a rabid dog. But the guy has been fighting and taken shots forever. He was going through the brutal Vale Tudo ringer long before he got into Pride and UFC and those guys were fighting every month. Same with guys like Nog and Shogun. They are still in their 30s but they just seem war torn. Shogun was in Pride I think at 21 and was already champ at 23. Rogan once commented that you have only so many shots that one can take in a career before you just can't take those shots any more. I know from my experience personally, I cannot take falls like I use to. I completely avoid it now in training. It's not like the years of being dumped on the mat has toughened me up. It's just the opposite. It's like my body is more of a China doll that shatters on impact.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
Here's how I look at it. I've been choked unconscious before. For the sake of argument say it takes exactly ten seconds for me to be put out. I remember the first time getting choked out the sense of panic I felt. You go through this "death rattle" before you are out cold. When you get close to be choked out you feel this same sense of panic and want to get out or tap as quickly as possible. As the years go by you get use to it. You don't panic. Often just by being relaxed and not panicking you can manage to escape or have your opponent release because he doesn't think he has it. But this not change the end result that after ten seconds in a legit carotid choke you are going out. I specify carotid choke because it's cutting off blood flow to the brain and not the type of choke that cuts oxygen to your lungs. You can train yourself to hold your breath longer.

So, as by way of comparison, if it takes X amount of foot pounds getting hit on the button to put you out you are not going to be able to change that. You will be far, far more desensitize to being hit than the average schmoe out there where just a tap on the face sends them into a state of panic and confusion, but a knock out punch will still always be a knock out punch. In fact, I would argue that as the years go by your knock out tolerance goes down. Years of getting pounded doesn't necessarily toughen you up but may in fact "soften" you up. Again, pure speculation on my part but you just see it all the time as fighters age. Wanderlie Silva is really not that old. I think he is maybe 2-3 years older than Leben but I've seen him take some lethal shots and still keep coming like a rabid dog. But the guy has been fighting and taken shots forever. He was going through the brutal Vale Tudo ringer long before he got into Pride and UFC and those guys were fighting every month. Same with guys like Nog and Shogun. They are still in their 30s but they just seem war torn. Shogun was in Pride I think at 21 and was already champ at 23. Rogan once commented that you have only so many shots that one can take in a career before you just can't take those shots any more. I know from my experience personally, I cannot take falls like I use to. I completely avoid it now in training. It's not like the years of being dumped on the mat has toughened me up. It's just the opposite. It's like my body is more of a China doll that shatters on impact.

Wow!! so you are a real "Jiujiteiro" apaga mas nao bate. I'm glad to know that you have the spirit.

And people say that Jones would have a chance against Shogun during  his prime... Shogun,Wanderley and Nog their bodies can not take hits anymore...Shogun has tons of injuries.
 Age+injuries+surgeries = you are F*cked.

F*ck can you hear the sound of this punch?

For the Shogun haters and Jones lovers... look at Shogun's fight history and tell me.
 How many fighters in the list Jones could submit/KO?

Gracie Rules

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.

Btw...almost forgot... f*ck boxing.

Gracie Rules

pellius

• Getbig V
For me, and maybe for those how have followed the sport since the early 1990s, it's sad to see. The greats being not so great. Pride back in the day -- it was just something else.

Sucks getting old.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
Nail in boxing's coffin? You're kidding right?

That's good stuff.  :D

nice rebuttal...and no im not kidding..will boxing still exist in some capacity?yea...but only as a side show/fringe sport...

Once again boxing is still clinging on only because of the older people that grew up watching boxing...once they pass away what do you think happens?...go ask any one 21 or younger what they watch...MMA will be the overwhelming answer...when those kids and young adults grow up there money and time will be directed at mma...its simple economics...boxing is living off of what it used to be...not what it is....