Author Topic: knee pain. squats?  (Read 26766 times)

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
knee pain. squats?
« on: July 10, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
Squats are my favourite exercise.  I do them 3 times a week because that's what is in my program.

For about 4 weeks now I have had knee pain.  It was originally only the right knee, but now it's both.  I figure this is from squats.

It might be my form but I am not sure.  I wanted to make sure my form was good when I started working out 5 months ago.  I squat wide because I am tall.  My feet are pointed slightly out so my knees track over them.  I squat very deep.  I have put my feet a bit closer together now, maybe a foot 1/2 apart.

I have no ACTUAL pain when squatting.  Once I am warmed up and I am doing my max I have 0 pain.

I have the pain when I bend down.  Like if I drop something and go to pick it up.  It's pain on the way down but it doesn't keep hurting.  It's just the initial bend which hurts.

I have no problem walking, getting up stairs, jumping, etc.  Only the initial down I feel the pain.  I ride my bike to the gym and can feel it a bit when peddling too.

My knees don't look swollen or strange.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: knee pain. squats?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:09:31 AM »
I always have to ask this because I get knee pain when it is time for new shoes.....how old are your w/o shoes?

Also maybe I'm not clear on your form but if you are squatting and your knees track over your feet but are yet "inside" of your feet...don't do that imo...I am no trainer though.

Can you try to make sure that your knees are inline w/your feet and try not to track over them?
R

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:20 PM »
when I say my knees track over I mean they follow my legs out.  I know your not suppose to have your knees go over your toes.  Maybe I did that a few times if I squatted too deep or maybe leaned forward a bit.  I am squatting with my legs closer together now.  Maybe a foot apart.  Not sure if it's helping, but I feel my quads worked more.

My shoes are maybe 4 years old.  They are flat skateboard shoes.  I use to wear these nike runners but I was told shoes with archs are bad for squatting.

I can feel the pain if I press hard on the top of the knee cap.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »
4 years old!   Get some new shoes today lol.

Seriously you should probably replace them every 4 months or so..

Maybe someone else knows a good type of shoe for you to get ...I just wear New Balance ..usually cross trainers.....but I would forget Nike.
R

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »
OK, I squat barefooted or on occasion with sandals. Get a much better feel and grip with the toes and whole foot it's self. Same reason I don't surf with shoes on, could not even come close to feel and control of the board. I've had PL'ing boots/shoes in the past, but to me always seemed so restricted when squatting. I'm flatfooted, pretty much born that way like so many of my family, so shoes never really helped me anyway. Best shoes I ever had was when I was playing college football. The trainers really paid attention to the right fit.

That tracking the knee/foot thing is very over rated, where is the logic in that I will never know. Knees not going over the toes...please! Let the knees, acting as hinges, follow their own natural path in squatting, DL's or any thing else. Take any foot position that may feel the best for and  your body type. Everyone is different in this respect. Can't force a square peg in a round hole.

Knee pain sharp, moderate, aching, etc? Could be a knee cap thing, the start of arthritis, ligament/tendon, nerves inflamed, etc. A knee is a very complex unit and nothing really to be guessed at. Might want to have a checkup and see what people with more knowledge think.

Might try replacing squats with another leg exercise for awhile. Or start doing your squats once a week to see how the knee responds. Maybe even try adjusting the height of your bike seat, giving a shorter or longer leg stroke as you peddle. This can affect the knee's also. Good Luck.
F

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
should I try squatting barefoot before I get new shoes?  In the dirty gym LOL.

My program Starting Strength is squats once a week though.  The guys on the training forum told me to abandon bench press because I am not seeing results.  If I take away squats this isn't Starting Strength anymore lol.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
How tall are you?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
6 / 6'1 with no shoes

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »
6 / 6'1 with no shoes
Try to stop going 100% deep, I'm 6'2" and noticed when I was going as deep as possible I would get weird pains after I went super heavy, but stopping shy of sitting on my ankles seems to have helped.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
I'll take your advice and get back to you.  Hope it doesn't affect my lifts though.

Squatted 200lbs today.  Deep squats are giving me awesome results  8)

Gotta take care of my knees though this has worried me.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 12:40:34 AM »
Lately both my knees hurt like hell man..unable to train legs properly.

Sucks.

This pain comes and goes during the year.

:-\

Still cant figure out what causes this.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 07:57:37 AM »
Lately both my knees hurt like hell man..unable to train legs properly.

Sucks.

This pain comes and goes during the year.

:-\

Still cant figure out what causes this.

How old are your shoes?
R

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
How old are your shoes?
LMFAO.

Unraggable, you don't list what other excercises you do on leg day, alot of people don't realize extentions can wreak havoc on knees as well, also hack squats(f'd mine up for awhile >:( )
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 12:24:15 AM »
How old are your shoes?
they are brand new,,,

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »
they are brand new,,,

OK ...  but the OP needs new ones :)
R

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
sorry guys I didn't respond.  Couldn't get on the site for a few days.

I squatted one day without shoes.  I don't know if it helped.  I squatted again today with my skateboard shoes.

I did do something different though.  When I unracked I slid my hands to the ends of the bar.  I always squatted with my hands closer, like my ring fingers around the smooth rings.

I don't know if this was better.  I think it gave me better balance.  I saw one guy who was squatting heavy doing that.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »
It would probably be a good idea to work on your hips, abductors, adductors, and IT band.  Foam rolling the IT band would be a good place to start.

Also read: http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/matriarch/MultiPiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_91_A_PageName_E_ArticleMyofacialRelease
:

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
sorry guys I didn't respond.  Couldn't get on the site for a few days.

I squatted one day without shoes.  I don't know if it helped.  I squatted again today with my skateboard shoes.

I did do something different though.  When I unracked I slid my hands to the ends of the bar.  I always squatted with my hands closer, like my ring fingers around the smooth rings.

I don't know if this was better.  I think it gave me better balance.  I saw one guy who was squatting heavy doing that.
I always go collar to collar squatting every set. What other leg excercises do you do?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »
I dont do any other leg exercises.  Starting Strength says not to deviate the program.  Although I am doing bicep and tricep exercises now because I have small arms.

I did do leg extensions one day though with heavy weight, maybe that made my knees worse.  That was about 3 weeks ago.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
I dont do any other leg exercises.  Starting Strength says not to deviate the program.  Although I am doing bicep and tricep exercises now because I have small arms.

I did do leg extensions one day though with heavy weight, maybe that made my knees worse.  That was about 3 weeks ago.
WTF is "Starting Strength"?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 09:54:34 PM »
OK ...  but the OP needs new ones :)
;D

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
WTF is "Starting Strength"?
it's a weightlifting routine for beginners/novice.  The purpose to build a solid muscle base using compound lifts.  Your not suppose to deviate from the program.

It was recommended to me from a lot of people on bodybuilding.com when I first started 5 months ago.  I am quite happy with all my lifts except bench press which blows, military press which is average, and bent over rows average as well.

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
well from what I have read on meniscus tear symptoms this doesn't sound like it.  Then again I could just be saying this to make myself feel better LOL  ;D

I have no problem straightening or bending my knee.  I only have the pain when I bend down deep and it's just sharp pain at once.  My need doesn't pop or makes sounds when I squat.  It sometimes cracks though when I straighten it.

Are there any other knee problems could fit this better?  Yeah I haven't gone to the doctor yet lol.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
well from what I have read on meniscus tear symptoms this doesn't sound like it.  Then again I could just be saying this to make myself feel better LOL  ;D

I have no problem straightening or bending my knee.  I only have the pain when I bend down deep and it's just sharp pain at once.  My need doesn't pop or makes sounds when I squat.  It sometimes cracks though when I straighten it.

Are there any other knee problems could fit this better?  Yeah I haven't gone to the doctor yet lol.
Have you tried squatting on a bench that's slightly lower than your knees?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
squatting on a bench?  What do you mean?  Like drag a flat bench into the squat rack?  ???