Author Topic: What did you eat yesterday?  (Read 774756 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: What did you eat yesterday?
« Reply #2375 on: June 23, 2015, 03:48:45 AM »
Oh... Interesting way to think about it.  I just think of the roportion of nutrients.  Potato is similar to rice or oats in that respect.  But I suppose it's a lot more filling, since more water.

However rice and oats absorb a lot of water when cooked, so maybe not?

also, haven't contributed in a while.  i've been trying to cook more practically, that is, taking everything into consideration: nutrition, preparation, taste, variety, cost, etc.  instead of just going all out, spending tons of time and money or throwing everything out the window in pursuit of taste.  someday i hope to actually be a good home cook.  it's a slow learning process; here's one of my successes:

True, rice & oatmeal absorbs water has well, but at least you have control of that during the preparation. For water to rice I use a ratio between 1.33-1.5 and for oats a 1:1 ratio. Once prepared, rice and esp oats are way more compact than potatoes.

Thank you for your update/culinair artwork.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #2376 on: June 23, 2015, 02:30:47 PM »
"Eating" pussy is the best meal  ;D

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #2377 on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
"Eating" pussy is the best meal  ;D

bay no likey

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #2378 on: June 24, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #2379 on: June 24, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2380 on: June 30, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
been learning how to do pasta simply lately

very good results.  the sauce must be thin, and stick to the noodle!

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #2381 on: June 30, 2015, 07:33:19 PM »
been learning how to do pasta simply lately

very good results.  the sauce must be thin, and stick to the noodle!

like your pics
are you making all those nice meals just for yourself?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2382 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »
Thank you.  And yes, I now post pictures of what I cook for myself.  When I was posting like crazy a few months ago, I was showing what I made for the family I lived with.

I used to shy away from pasta because I thought I wouldn't be satisfied on so little... If you can believe it, the pasta and broccoli above is about 1150 calories! (About 1/3 the broccoli wasn't shown, but that was unadorned and accounted for less than 100 cal).

Only recently have I let myself cook pasta and rice dishes.  I finally realized you don't need much quantity to be satisfied.  Better to have a balance of nutrients and variety.

Once I scaled back the protein and veggies, and added some fats and carbs back in, my sanity greatly improved.  I didn't miss the (ultimately unsatisfying) extra bulk.  My meals are much more enjoyable, easier to plan, and I eat the same number of calories in the end.

Of course, I still restrict myself somewhat.  You won't see me cook many meatless meals, or meals with very low amounts of protein.  I did that occasionally in the past, when I was cooking for others; for myself, there still has to be balance.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #2383 on: July 01, 2015, 02:28:43 AM »
hope to see you more active in this thread, ceph.  :)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2384 on: July 02, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
thanks ff.  nothing too fancy these days, but i'm becoming a better cook now that i experiment more.  it's hard to learn when you ONLY follow recipes and fear failure.  cooking for myself only, i'm not afraid to over/undercook things just to see how they react, or try my own ideas without any need to succeed for someone else.

pasta again, this time home made... the grilled eggplant was delicious.  it's easy to overcook -- the residual heat will do most of the work.  get a little color, then out of the pan!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2385 on: July 02, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »
anyone ever tried fred meyer's 'carbmaster' yogurt?  i always wondered why no one used artificial sweeteners in yogurt... then i found 'carbmaster': 60 cals, 3g sugar, 9g protein

delightful dessert! (topped it with a tablespoon of granola)

last night i made a greek salad with broiled chicken and tzatziki i made from some ellenos plain yogurt... fantastic, only 670 cals for a huge bowl.  tonight i'm trying pho for the first time... not sure how it will turn out (simmered the bones last night).

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #2386 on: July 02, 2015, 08:43:27 PM »
Greek salad and eggplant pasta look awesome. I wish I have 1/2 of your enthusiasm for cooking.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2387 on: July 04, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »
I just ate a HUGE Greek Salad...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2388 on: July 04, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
I just ate a HUGE Greek Salad...

Nice.  Such a good meal.  Low calorie, delicious, lots of variety.  Something any bodybuilder could eat on a regular basis.

I forgot the feta last time...

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #2389 on: July 05, 2015, 02:41:22 AM »
dinner yesterday:

smoked salmon, salad, olive oil, lime juice, ciabatta bread

pasta, pesto, vegetables, shrimps

ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, pineapple

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2390 on: July 05, 2015, 09:10:49 AM »
Nice.  Such a good meal.  Low calorie, delicious, lots of variety.  Something any bodybuilder could eat on a regular basis.

^^
I did once too, had to save the day by using parmesan shreds and lots of caesar salad dressing!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2391 on: July 06, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
pho result

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2392 on: July 06, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »
made bolognese for my family tonight. lots of mistakes, cut lots of corners rushing to get it out in time...

(didn't get home from the gym as early as i predicted ;D)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #2393 on: July 08, 2015, 07:19:40 AM »
müesli with milk

tomato soup with baked beans

pasta with sausages, pesto, tomato sauce, vegetables

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #2394 on: July 08, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »
Dianabol, Test Cyp, 50g whey, 5 whole eggs and oats for breakfast.

Can of tuna steak, with brown rice and lime juice plus a small bowl of oats for lunch.

6 egg spanish omelette, 2 chicken thighs, salad and white rice for dinner.

Dianabol, 50g whey, 5 whole eggs and small bowl of oats after training late.

Boring days eating but feel very strong today!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2395 on: July 08, 2015, 09:06:11 AM »

^^
Cephissus,  I have a PRIMO pasta trick for you, especially for a seafood/garlic pasta to "make" the garlic stick to the pasta-
Use a shot glass or 2 of either Sprite or 7-up (the regular kind, not diet- it's the SUGAR you need in this!) and add it after you've combined the food with the pasta, and REDUCE a few minutes over medium heat!!
PRESTO, a lot more sticks to the noodle!!!!!  There is NO taste of pop, it just disappears!
P.S.  Thespritz0's SPRITE secret!!!

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #2396 on: July 08, 2015, 10:23:34 AM »

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2397 on: July 08, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »

this is what happens the day after a binge: bechamel thick as sludge (herbs not even mixed in) and overcooked chicken.  total rush job... only took 20 min, 'be there' will be relieved to hear ;D

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #2398 on: July 08, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
^^
Cephissus,  I have a PRIMO pasta trick for you, especially for a seafood/garlic pasta to "make" the garlic stick to the pasta-
Use a shot glass or 2 of either Sprite or 7-up (the regular kind, not diet- it's the SUGAR you need in this!) and add it after you've combined the food with the pasta, and REDUCE a few minutes over medium heat!!
PRESTO, a lot more sticks to the noodle!!!!!  There is NO taste of pop, it just disappears!
P.S.  Thespritz0's SPRITE secret!!!

Sounds like a cool trick.  Makes sense... sugar will melt and stick.

In the picture which shows glistening noodles (before the meat sauce went in), I show my usual method: olive oil, butter, and pasta water (sometimes 'enhanced' with extra semolina).  Reduce for a bit, then add the rest of the sauce (if any) and reduce a bit more.  Sticks great!

Simple Simon

« Reply #2399 on: July 08, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »
Sounds like a cool trick.  Makes sense... sugar will melt and stick.

In the picture which shows glistening noodles (before the meat sauce went in), I show my usual method: olive oil, butter, and pasta water (sometimes 'enhanced' with extra semolina).  Reduce for a bit, then add the rest of the sauce (if any) and reduce a bit more.  Sticks great!

some people have way too much time on their hands