Author Topic: Why pro today have relative larger legs than old days ?  (Read 13918 times)

noeasywayout

• Getbig II
Why pro today have relative larger legs than old days ?
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
different types of training or drugs?  ???

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
Re: Why pro today have relative larger legs than old days ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Drugs... how much has leg training changed REALLY in the last 60 years... or any training for that matter.  Same exercises that were gettin guys big then are gettin em big now... it's the other stuff that makes the difference ;)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
ill have to say training.... nobody does Full range squats... shit most don't do squats at all.. i cant recall the last time i seen a video of cutler doing squats ... its mostly leg presses with thousand pounds.... i cant recall 70's bodybuilders ever load up the leg press with a grand or grand and half of plates.

drugs the finishing touch

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
Drugs. Guys are 40-60lbs heavier and leaner in contest shape now, all that weight has to go somewhere. Big bodybuilders were #200-210 in conestest shape back in the 70's. Very tall ones maybe 10-20 heavier than that.

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
Modern advances in training.  :D :D

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
Legs weren't as valued back in the day. Could be just changing ideas of what constitutes ideal proportions.

Arnold never had huge wheels, ever. They were always long and lean. He backed off the heavy training and they shrank the next week. Check out his shitty attempts at squats in that video, also. Nice depth. ::)

We can't forget the elevating drug usage over the decades, as well.

Also, what was thought to be possible, as far as poundages used, etc. was much less than what has become reality. And hell, the modern equipment is a world away from what it was back then, too. Now you can load 50 tonnes onto a regular leg press. Fifty years ago guys had to clean the barbell onto the backs of their shoulders to even do a frickin' squat.

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
Fifty years ago guys had to clean the barbell onto the backs of their shoulders to even do a frickin' squat.

Yeah, squat racks didn't exist in 1961.  ::)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »
Yeah, squat racks didn't exist in 1961.  ::)

Dude, you get my point. It wasn't long before 1961 that racks as they are now didn't exist in most gyms. I make some valid points and you get all pissy about one comment meant to convey an idea of sorts. Fuck me running.  ::)

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
Dude, you get my point. It wasn't long before 1962 that racks as they are now didn't exist in most gyms.

Yeah, I was just being fecicious.   ;D

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »
The leaner you are the bigger your legs appear, so combine that with everything being bigger anyway, in the 70's, with the exception of a few, no one was ripped and as you know the 80's almost everybody had legs.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
Dude, you get my point. It wasn't long before 1961 that racks as they are now didn't exist in most gyms. I make some valid points and you get all pissy about one comment meant to convey an idea of sorts. Fuck me running.  ::)

this is true.. i read an Arnold book and he was saying when he was 15 16 yrs old and started lifting they didnt even have incline benches... he had to use an adjustable sit-up board put it at 45 deg clean the barbell off the floor and slowly control the weight  and his body down to the situp board to do incline barbell preses

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »

Nothing to do with drugs but all about technique.  Int he "old days" they lacked the tools such as a swedish workout ball and top notch physical trainers or "gurus".  Photo evidence below.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 01:06:38 PM »
this is true.. i read an Arnold book and he was saying when he was 15 16 yrs old and started lifting they didnt even have incline benches... he had to use an adjustable sit-up board put it at 45 deg clean the barbell off the floor and slowly control the weight hand his body down to the situp board to do incline barbell preses

And just to show you how ackward that was, check out Bruce Randall incline pressing #330, Bruce Randall was also known for bulking to 400ish pounds then cutting to a not sloppy #200-

Bottom picture is #225.

lyquid

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
depends on how far back... But does tom platz come to mind?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »
 schmoe squats

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
UTD

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
And just to show you how ackward that was, check out Bruce Randall incline pressing #330, Bruce Randall was also known for bulking to 400ish pounds then cutting to a not sloppy #200-

Bottom picture is #225.
that is not even a "incline press", no wonder he had a shitty chest

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:05 PM »
Nothing to do with drugs but all about technique.  Int he "old days" they lacked the tools such as a swedish workout ball and top notch physical trainers or "gurus".  Photo evidence below.

That ball squat picture kills me. I feel injured just looking at it.  :P

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
it cant just be drugs,deca is the best leg drug and its been around for awhile,having a decent set of wheels became more important in pro bodybuilding over the years,and when platz came along he sorta changed the game,and though squats are the best overall leg builder,hacksquats are more important for quad developement and the hack squat machine has got a lot better over the years,as has the legpress and all the various leg machines.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
it cant just be drugs,deca is the best leg drug and its been around for awhile,having a decent set of wheels became more important in pro bodybuilding over the years,and when platz came along he sorta changed the game,and though squats are the best overall leg builder,hacksquats are more important for quad developement and the hack squat machine has got a lot better over the years,as has the legpress and all the various leg machines.

Um......What ??

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »

Props to Arnold for his accomplishments but struggling with 315, LOL.
T

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
my bad... now i remember Jay does squats... mostly smith machine ... he he is doing front squats

JZMB

• Getbig II
  • Team NaSSer EL soBaNtý FëLla
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »
All about drugs, leg is the biggest body part, so it just grows more than the others due the steroid use.. thats my opinion  ;)

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »

reason is the massive gh and insulina doses,, they  grow everything ,, or should i say they blow up! blow up is the word..they blow up everything,, blow it up and make sure the bodyfat between skin and muscle is low....

back then in the 70s there was no usage of insulina ....and gh was vry experiemental not even remotly close to 20 iu a day lol ,, today fellas dont even train unless a good stack of hgh and insulina is in the blood,, im really talkin here 15+ iu gh and LOTS of insulina ,, i cant put here numbers becuase it can really harm an 18 year old who jus tstarted training 2 months ago,,it can harm anyone to be honest make many insulina dependent and add to kidney problems after prolonged usage

gh15 approved
fallen angel

POTA

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
Legs weren't as valued back in the day. Could be just changing ideas of what constitutes ideal proportions.

Arnold never had huge wheels, ever. They were always long and lean. He backed off the heavy training and they shrank the next week. Check out his shitty attempts at squats in that video, also. Nice depth. ::)