Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 163461 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #600 on: November 16, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »
 8)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #601 on: November 16, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
When I came to Golds Gym in October 1968 I was hoping to stay in LA and train for contests.....to follow the bodybuilder's dream. I lasted a month then went back to Vancouver. LA is a scary place to survive in when you don't have a job there. I had a SS card number but I didn't want to get deported like the Mexicans did. There were no personal trainers in those days. Well, not as a common profession.

While training there I got to the biggest I had been as a natural. I was 210 pounds and had 17 1/2" cold arms and calves. Right now my calves are bigger than that and I don't train them. My arms are now bigger as well and that makes me feel good. The last time I competed my arms were 17 1/4" but I could pump them over 18" easily. Getting 18 inch cold arms in contest condition isn't at all easy. Not in those days, and not today....of course naturally. No way I am going the pill and injection route that the followers of gh15 take. That isn't bodybuilding. It is abuse of oneself physically, mentally, socially and even morally. How can anyone be proud of what he built via the chemist? You can't. It is all bullshit and fake.

Coach had a good build. No doubt about that. However, what is his knowledge of hypertrophy theory? I haven't read anything that would compel me to drop what I know and follow the coach. Next thing I would be training with ropes and tyres and wondered what the hell happened to my self-respect!

I know it's bold of me to presume to speak for Coach but as far as I understand him he makes a clear distinction between athletic training and conditioning and bodybuilding. Leg extentions and leg curls have little application to athletic training and ropes and tires have little application to bodybuilding.

All the reading, book knowledge and class room antics mean little to real world results. For the longest time the medical profession insisted that anabolic steroids did nothing to enhance hypertrophy and athletic perfromance. It use to be on the package insert.

And though you claim we just indulge in bro science without any scientific studies to back it up it seems that you seem to ignore studies that don't comport with your beliefs and bias and just make up your own theories without anything to back it up, e.g. Only need 25 grams of protein a day. Age is no barrier to hypertrophy.

As Good As It Gets: Octogenarian Muscles Don't Get Stronger With Exercise, Study Finds
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090331091250.htm

Aging Muscles: 'Hard To Build, Easy To Lose'
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090911103807.htm

Study Explains Why Muscles Weaken With Age and Points to Possible Therapy
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110802125549.htm

Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1474076

"In summary, protein requirements for athletes performing strength training are greater than for sedentary individuals and are above current Canadian and US recommended daily protein intake requirements for young healthy males."

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #602 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
Come on, Pellius, spare me the sciencedaily fodder. No one there has done experiments with my protocols and ideas. So don't use any of that research to criticize me because it isn't relevant. I know what I am talking about. Good old results. Fast results. So your theories about ageing people hardly apply to what I am doing. My arms are big again. I would try harder to make them bigger but my elbows are tender. So I am not pushing myself too hard there. I will start training legs soon. Next week for sure. That should be interesting.

Coach may know plenty of things about training. So did heaps of big guys. Who among them have advocated any new ideas in hypertrophy training? I haven't read anything from Coach that makes me think he understood the hypertrophy process. That is why Mike Mentzer felt the way he did about Arnold. Mike was light years ahead of Arnold in that respect. Mike was a thinker and came up with his Heavy Duty. I don't buy it but Ray Mentzer was a big guy and he told us how to do a modified method that worked for some of the guys. Most refuse to train that hard or perhaps are incapable of doing so.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #603 on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »
Come on, Pellius, spare me the sciencedaily fodder. No one there has done experiments with my protocols and ideas. So don't use any of that research to criticize me because it isn't relevant. I know what I am talking about. Good old results. Fast results. So your theories about ageing people hardly apply to what I am doing. My arms are big again. I would try harder to make them bigger but my elbows are tender. So I am not pushing myself too hard there. I will start training legs soon. Next week for sure. That should be interesting.

Coach may know plenty of things about training. So did heaps of big guys. Who among them have advocated any new ideas in hypertrophy training? I haven't read anything from Coach that makes me think he understood the hypertrophy process. That is why Mike Mentzer felt the way he did about Arnold. Mike was light years ahead of Arnold in that respect. Mike was a thinker and came up with his Heavy Duty. I don't buy it but Ray Mentzer was a big guy and he told us how to do a modified method that worked for some of the guys. Most refuse to train that hard or perhaps are incapable of doing so.

OK, so scientific studies don't matter. Real world superior results to you, like Coach, don't matter. We just have to go by your thus far unproven word that does not comport to reality.

Fair dinkum. We await your progress and proof. Your calves may be bigger than your 1970s physique but that's because they are thicker and fatter. Same with your arms.

If anyone has seen a difference in the arm picture of your first post and your arm picture now please edify the rest of us. Post those two pics side by side and point out the perceptible improvements.

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #604 on: November 16, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
No offense, but your arms are big again?? Please! Work arms on Mon, Wed and Fri. 5 sets of 5 reps and consume I large pizza pie three times a week and your arms will be bigger. Throw in some squats and you will be on your way—to bigger.

You would receive a lot more respect if you at least had some physical attributes that point to the fact you worked out, watched your diet, and were in some type of decent shape. Or any shape that at least looked athletic.

And you carry “just a tad of extra safety fat” in case you get sick. Please, you cannot be serious. Walking around at 69 “much bigger” than when you were in your prime is very obtuse statement. It is called being much “fatter” than when you were in your prime…

If you were walking around “much bigger” now than when you won Mr. Canada, but at the same or less body fat level we would all be impressed and certainly listen your gratis advice. But the fact is, your don’t. That should be your goal. That would be impressive and gain some respect.

Kirstie Alley has big arms to, at times.. Big deal! It certainly does not make her look better that she did at when she was young and slender.

Reality Vince..

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #605 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Ok....then I refute it! Pick up a book once in a while Vince. Fuck!

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #606 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
Wash your mouth out with black tar soap. I am a fine figure of a man. Just carry a tad extra safety fat in case I get sick. All will be revealed in due course. Can you imagine how good it feels

to walk around at 69 being much bigger than I was when I was in my prime? You see my contempories like Arnold and Sergio looking unimpressive. Zane and Scott aren't the big guys they used to be.

oh man..everything above here....

what have you just said and done.

oh man.  :-\ what  exactly are you looking at? this is worse than the vince goodrum guy.

you are to be commended for your efforts in having a try at your age and really for having such a positive mind, but now it is just translating into pure cockiness with a touch of "coo coo/delusion" that sets in around about your age which i should not tease about as this is nature taking its course.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #607 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
Wash your mouth out with black tar soap. I am a fine figure of a man. Just carry a tad extra safety fat in case I get sick. All will be revealed in due course. Can you imagine how good it feels

to walk around at 69 being much bigger than I was when I was in my prime? You see my contempories like Arnold and Sergio looking unimpressive. Zane and Scott aren't the big guys they used to be.

Up until recently, I thought carrying around some extra weight made me appear a little more impressive. I hadn't considered your idea of a safety net in case I got sick. -Interesting theory. However, I am not sure it is valid.

Today, I had physical therapy for my lower back. It has been causing me pain for the past couple of weeks. An x-ray revealed that I have arthritis and degenerative disk disease in my spine....hence the pain, muscle spasms and sciatica. My doctor scheduled me for many more weeks of therapy sessions, three times a week. It's going to cost me a bit over time as I have a $25 copay for each session. Anyway, according to the therapist, I am pretty strong including my core muscles. I am not very flexible though. I was surprised at how difficult some of the exercises I will be doing are for me. I suppose they will get easier as I become used to them.

As for the weight connection, I suspect being a bit lighter would help with flexibility. Today I weighed 205 at 5'11" my waist looks pretty tight. I am thinking about dropping ten to twenty pounds to see if this would help with my lumbar issues. We will see. I am going to the gym tomorrow to get some kind of a workout in. I have instructions to keep the weights fairly light for now. -Ought to be interesting. Maybe I'll try swimming some laps tomorrow too.

Aging is a bitch!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #608 on: November 16, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Coach, that isn't how you refute a theory. Nice try.

Pellius is just trying to get out of having to pay for my dinner when I visit Honolulu. He will pay, there is no doubt about it.

Pellius, I can read abstracts and results from experiments. Those studies didn't involve trying to build the arms of the old folk. Therefore, those

studies do not apply to what I am doing and are not illuminating. They agree with what Pellius has said and what he believes.

Getting older sucks. You guys will find out. Diminished everything. So, imagine my surprise when I saw that I was still able to grow

muscle no matter how old I got. That went against what I was led to believe in the past. The scientists don't subscribe to my

training methods so are not going to apply them in any study. You people, collectively, are sure stubborn. Here I am telling you the

earth is not flat and not one of you believes me.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #609 on: November 16, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
Coach, that isn't how you refute a theory. Nice try.

Pellius is just trying to get out of having to pay for my dinner when I visit Honolulu. He will pay, there is no doubt about it.

Pellius, I can read abstracts and results from experiments. Those studies didn't involve trying to build the arms of the old folk. Therefore, those

studies do not apply to what I am doing and are not illuminating. They agree with what Pellius has said and what he believes.

Getting older sucks. You guys will find out. Diminished everything. So, imagine my surprise when I saw that I was still able to grow

muscle no matter how old I got. That went against what I was led to believe in the past. The scientists don't subscribe to my

training methods so are not going to apply them in any study. You people, collectively, are sure stubborn. Here I am telling you the

earth is not flat and not one of you believes me.

Are you documenting all of your training methods to share with us?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #610 on: November 17, 2011, 12:16:56 AM »
OK, so scientific studies don't matter. Real world superior results to you, like Coach, don't matter. We just have to go by your thus far unproven word that does not comport to reality.

Fair dinkum. We await your progress and proof. Your calves may be bigger than your 1970s physique but that's because they are thicker and fatter. Same with your arms.

If anyone has seen a difference in the arm picture of your first post and your arm picture now please edify the rest of us. Post those two pics side by side and point out the perceptible improvements.

you are wasting your time

unless you agree with him he will dismiss you completely

hate to say i told you so
T

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #611 on: November 17, 2011, 12:25:45 AM »
No offense, but your arms are big again?? Please! Work arms on Mon, Wed and Fri. 5 sets of 5 reps and consume I large pizza pie three times a week and your arms will be bigger. Throw in some squats and you will be on your way—to bigger.

You would receive a lot more respect if you at least had some physical attributes that point to the fact you worked out, watched your diet, and were in some type of decent shape. Or any shape that at least looked athletic.

And you carry “just a tad of extra safety fat” in case you get sick. Please, you cannot be serious. Walking around at 69 “much bigger” than when you were in your prime is very obtuse statement. It is called being much “fatter” than when you were in your prime…

If you were walking around “much bigger” now than when you won Mr. Canada, but at the same or less body fat level we would all be impressed and certainly listen your gratis advice. But the fact is, your don’t. That should be your goal. That would be impressive and gain some respect.

Kirstie Alley has big arms to, at times.. Big deal! It certainly does not make her look better that she did at when she was young and slender.

Reality Vince..

You Can`t Flex Fat !!!!!!!!!!!!

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #612 on: November 17, 2011, 12:49:36 AM »
Progressing rapidly which is almost scary!

So, imagine my surprise when I saw that I was still able to grow muscle no matter how old I got.

WHERE!!??

WHAT! MUSCLE!!!!!???

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #613 on: November 17, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »

Vince, you haven't convinced anyone or have had anything to back your hypertrophy theories. Nothing has really changed and nothing that you're saying is new to anyone who has been around. The OLD theory that DOMS (before anyone knew what "DOMS" was) is just that......old. But it's already been proven by reputable sources and studies that there is no correlation between DOMS, hypertrophy, power or strength. Therefore Vince you have nothing to back it up except for what you say. Just like you machine theories. I can give you dozens of literature saying why most machines are inferior to free weight training on a power,strength, hypertrophy and functional level as well as causing more injuries in the way of joint instability but you cannot seem to come up with a counter debate to "refute" my findings nor anyone else. This is the problem with you Vince.....you don't keep up with the times when it comes to research. The research and studies being done are being done on professional, college and high school athletes at a high level not in a bodybuiliding type-gym loaded with machines and hear say. You have some of the best research facilities in the world in Australia and New Zealand (that I frequently look to)...I suggest you check them out!!

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #614 on: November 17, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
You Can`t Flex Fat !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that sums up what I said....

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #615 on: November 19, 2011, 12:24:47 AM »
What does yours look like that you don't need straps?

It look little bit different, not much. Like Vince, I'm not about the reveal my secrets, I just talk about them like he is. It would have been nice to see his solving this problem with his experience, but he is too busy to explain his theories. What you can do. Not even the video clip to explain the non existing difference about the ROM of those two exercise.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #616 on: November 19, 2011, 03:18:17 AM »
I think that sums up what I said....
Yup!!  :)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #617 on: November 19, 2011, 03:25:01 AM »
Seeing as how this thread is about bodybuilding in the later years,heres a pic from this week of 65 year old UK bodybuilder Bernie Cooper,now thats inspiration. :(

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #618 on: November 19, 2011, 03:27:47 AM »
Seeing as how this thread is about bodybuilding in the later years,heres a pic from this week of 65 year old UK bodybuilder Bernie Cooper,now thats inspiration. :(

I've seen this dude before. On a boatload but amazing for his age. Remarkable.
O

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #619 on: November 19, 2011, 03:36:37 AM »
Insane physique.....especially for his age!

dave19

• Getbig III
« Reply #620 on: November 19, 2011, 04:16:34 AM »

Yeah that is really impressive , pretty much for any age.

But this guy is using steroids and GH and I think the main reason why it's a lot harder for older guys to be in great shape is the decline of testosterone and growth hormone levels - so you can't really compare him to your average natural 65 year old guy of course. I also think that this guy built all that muscle when he was still a lot younger and is now just trying to hold on to it... I doubt he has really made any significant progress in terms of muscle mass over the past few years.

Vince is claiming that age does not matter when it comes to building a good body even without steroids... which is obviously complete bullshit and his pictures are a sad proof of this. Claiming he is bigger now than when he won the Mr. Canada just shows how delusional he really is.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #621 on: November 19, 2011, 07:34:01 AM »
From what i remember about Bernie he didn`t start training until his 50s,he started competing in 2002 in the over 50s class,and no doubt he is on a load of gear and gh,but thats an amazing phsyique for his age.

Inchdisciple

• Getbig II
« Reply #622 on: November 19, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »
Delusional, and sadly Basile is descending into senile dementia and can't really help himself.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #623 on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
Delusional, and sadly Basile is descending into senile dementia and can't really help himself.

Dude..you need to be more respectful with only nine posts

Inchdisciple

• Getbig II
« Reply #624 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Dude..you need to be more respectful with only nine posts

So you are saying, that I should become less and less respectful as my post count increases? Basile is demented. That is a statement of fact.