Author Topic: Barbarian BP  (Read 51693 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Barbarian BP
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2005, 04:38:23 PM »
I was pretty good friends with both David & Peter for years. Peter is very funny and a blast to hang out with. David is much more reserved and doesn't say too much. Lots of muscle.

I met them for the first time in June 1982. They had just rolled their pick-up truck in the front parking lot at Gold's Venice. I went inside and bought their poster and Peter signed it... "To Tom: The higher you climb, the further you can see." They were both covered in chalk and were training back that morning.

I'll post some good Barbarian stories later; Lyle chasing them down the street, etc.

-Tom
a

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
Those guys were awesome, did they compete? Wether they did or did not they had alot of quality muscle and looked kinda ripped also,incredibly strong.
Anyone got more pics and vids????

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2006, 09:02:17 AM »
looks like they could have been pretty good plers if they competed.  they werent that big considering the monster lifts they did.  i'm always amuzed about how lyle alazado beat them both up.  even during his strongest cycle, he was never stronger than either one of dave or paul, let alone to kick the shit out of both of them. 

Can you give any details on this? I never heard Alzado fought the Barbarian brothers.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2006, 09:10:44 AM »
I rememebr when they used to reverse grip.  I tried it a few times.  Never liked it and saw no advantage to it.  It twisted my wrist more than anything.  I did 315 for a few but was just unconformatble.  Never even tried 405 cause I thought i'd hurt myself.  They were strong.  David really impressed me with his size.  He weighed about 25 lbs more than Peter and wore the same size pants waist size. 32"  Not that I am close to being a fag or anything but David has a small as for being so big and thick.  We got along really good but I think me and Peter connected better.

Keith, what exactly did Peter and David Paul do for a living? I remember they talked about competing but never did as far as I know. I know they had that one movie. Did they make money doing seminars? What are they up to now?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2006, 11:27:39 AM »
Actually they made or appeared in several movies.  They even got paid $360,000 and didn't even do the movie.  They made great money from clothing sales and seminars.  They were marketable.  David now is of course a very well known photgrapher and Peter is in the toy industry doing very very good.  I am supposed to get up to date about them when I meet with David's agent who is here now and David is supposed to be here at the end of this month or early next month.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2006, 12:58:16 PM »
Actually they made or appeared in several movies.  They even got paid $360,000 and didn't even do the movie.  They made great money from clothing sales and seminars.  They were marketable.  David now is of course a very well known photgrapher and Peter is in the toy industry doing very very good.  I am supposed to get up to date about them when I meet with David's agent who is here now and David is supposed to be here at the end of this month or early next month.

Did they ever talk about that dungeon like gym they trained at in Rhode Island?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2006, 05:18:04 PM »
I talked to David today (Jan. 10) at Gold's Venice. His photography is going well. He told me he weighs 225 lbs, so I think he probably weighed 218-220. He looks good. Several years ago, Dave had some "procedures' performed and his lighter body-weight really makes those features stand out. I walked out with him and he got in a nice 2005 Infinity G35 with big bling-bling wheels. I didn't ask about Peter but I will next time I see him.

-Tom
a

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2006, 06:05:34 PM »
I talked to David today (Jan. 10) at Gold's Venice. His photography is going well. He told me he weighs 225 lbs, so I think he probably weighed 218-220. He looks good. Several years ago, Dave had some "procedures' performed and his lighter body-weight really makes those features stand out. I walked out with him and he got in a nice 2005 Infinity G35 with big bling-bling wheels. I didn't ask about Peter but I will next time I see him.

-Tom

Procedures?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2006, 06:18:44 PM »
Malar augmentation aka cheek bone implants. Dave always had strong facial features and with his bodyfat % as low as it is, the results of the work are very evident... not in a bad way... just a very noticable way.
a

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »
How does his calves look.  I remember we were just outside of Hilo, HI and watching some surfers.  They noticed David and Peter.  David decided do an impromtu posing.  So he took his pants down and flexed for them.  Man, did we all notice his bad calf implants.  Somehow they shifted or something and one was way off.  I wonder if had those removed

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2006, 09:21:55 PM »
Onlyme...

I first met the Barbarians in 1982. I saw them both 3-4 times a week during most of the 90's. And I have never, not even once seen David or Peters calves. From what I can tell, David still has his. It's hard to tell under his big heavy baggy jeans but I think the implants are still there. I think Peter had his removed. I'm only guessing, but they were so huge (the implants) at one time and now when I see Peter, it appears that they are gone. Again, he always wears thick baggy jeans, but I think they are gone.
a

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2006, 12:29:19 AM »
Tommy, was wondering did you ever go to Tequilla Willies in Manhattan Beach back in the early to mid 80's.  I was a bouncer there with Bob Sears, Ron Gibson, Jim Flarety.  The twins came in allot.  They would drink two Manhattan Maggies (32 oz Margaritas) at a time.  David came in sometime with a whole gallon of ice cream and walk around the place eating it.  I thnk they wore the baggy pants because they really didn't train legs allot and they had rather skinny legs compared to their upper bodies.

I talk to Pete G. yesterday for about an hour.  He is heading down to his place in Mexico till May.  His new baby Petey is doing good.   He is trying to get me to take somekind of iodine/iodide concoction.  I told him about you (Tommy) but he couldn 't figure out who I was talking about.  He was telling about how he always took 2nd place or even lower yet win the Most Muscular award all the time.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2006, 12:50:46 AM »
Hi Keith...

You mentioned Tequilla Willies before but I'm not familiar with it. I do know Ron Gibson. Nice guy, knows his bodybuilding. David Paul actually turned me on to drinking carob milk during my workouts. I took the idea back to Clancys Mr. America Club in Walnut Creek and within a week all the guys in Clancys were drinking carob milk. LOL. I can easily see David walking around eating a gallon of ice cream. They seldom trained legs but they did have decent legs (from what I hear). I have seen them both doing extensions & angled leg presses. FWIW.

That's cool that you spoke to Pete yesterday. I have no difficultly believing that he does not remember me. Whenever I spoke to Pete from 94-97, I really think he was non compos mentis. He was always very freindly and absolutely cool but he just seemed to be thinking of something else most of the time. I trust you know what I mean. I have those drag racing pics somewhere but it will be a while before I can find them and post them. Gold's Gym had a quarterly magazine that was given to franchise owners and other "insiders." I was a frequent contributor to the photographs in the magazine. If I can find the mags, one had numerous shots of Pete, his AA Funny Car, me & Pete, and the NHRA Top Fuel Funny Car that Gold's sponsored in '96 (The Nitro Bandit).

-Tom
a

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »
Tommy, I have to echo what Onlyme said also, you and I must have crossed paths back in the day.

Beef

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »
how about some more cool stories about david and peter,anyone?onlyme? thanks.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2006, 03:17:12 AM »
Damn amazing strength these Barbarians possessed.If you relate the Barbarian curl pic w/the 150's to the pic w/Arnold here somewhere where he's curling 250-300 lbs (somewhere in there) you realize just how f'in strong they really were.Sure the opposite arm w/the weight balances the curl out a bit but look at how little back angle there is in the pic.Arnold in his pic has his back at almost a 45 degree angle in his curling pic.Gorilla strength!!

RobertForbes

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2006, 05:44:34 AM »
Great information on these guys :)
ww.strength-oldschool.com

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2006, 06:41:05 AM »
What kind of jobs didi these guys have outside of posing/clothing lines etc??

Im am not meaning to offend anyone,but i gotta ask....i know these guys didnt really compete,and i know bodybuilder of the time used drugs, but didi these guys USE??For those who know im sure its a stupid question.
They were freaking strong though.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
what kind of jobs,well they do and did almost everything,see bodybuilding wasn't just there main focus.David is so multi-talented it's scary,he is such a fantastic unique artist.what people don't know yet is that he is a unbelievable painter and singer-songwriter,i'm tryin to help promote his music,i mention this every where i go.Peter is into the toy business and has also wrote songs to help children with nightmares and such-think he also personal trains too.well i think everyone knows by now that David is a awesome photographer.As for drugs,david mentioned what he used for the movie "barbarians" but i'd have to find it.They've been clean for about 10 years now(roughly).Bodybuilding is not there main focus,besides they are about 48,49 now.David said that they didn't even use drugs till about 5 years after they moved to venice.In grade 12 david was already benching 400lbs.Very awesome guys

Gord

• Getbig IV
  • Smile when you say that
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2006, 12:39:22 PM »
........I'll post some good Barbarian stories later; Lyle chasing them down the street, etc.

-Tom

Tom,

What exactly went down between Alzado and the twins? I've read so many different versions and variations on this story over the years that I've lost count.

Lies, damn lies and diets

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:41 PM »
I'll confess; I only heard the story from others and the story does change a bit, depending on who is telling the tale.

The fundamentals of the story are that Lyle chased both brothers out the back door of the 1st room at Gold's Venice, and then about 10-15 seconds later, the brothers were spotted out the front door running up Hampton Dr. (towards Rose) with Lyle in hot pursuit.

I don't know why Lyle was mad, but I'm guessing he wasn't that mad, because as a former NFL Defensive End, I'm pretty sure he could have caught David or Peter, if he really wanted. ;D

T-

a

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »
what kind of jobs,well they do and did almost everything,see bodybuilding wasn't just there main focus.David is so multi-talented it's scary,he is such a fantastic unique artist.what people don't know yet is that he is a unbelievable painter and singer-songwriter,i'm tryin to help promote his music,i mention this every where i go.Peter is into the toy business and has also wrote songs to help children with nightmares and such-think he also personal trains too.well i think everyone knows by now that David is a awesome photographer.As for drugs,david mentioned what he used for the movie "barbarians" but i'd have to find it.They've been clean for about 10 years now(roughly).Bodybuilding is not there main focus,besides they are about 48,49 now.David said that they didn't even use drugs till about 5 years after they moved to venice.In grade 12 david was already benching 400lbs.Very awesome guys

Both of them are awesome together when singing.  In 1993 or so when Twin Sitters came out we went to Hilo.  We spoke at both the high schools there.  Waikea High was awesome.  We showed up and was walking through the school and every single student and teacher came outside.  The principle came and met us and took us to the cafeteria for lunch.  We ate so much and then after lunch we went to an area they set up and I talked for a little bit then both of them talked.  Then they put on a concert that got the people going crazy.  The do a kind of rap and rock thing.  It is really good.  The had songs they had written like the Harley Davidson Song (which was awesome when they perfromed it) and War With the Wieghts, Are You Tough Enough (which I really like) and others.  They are really good singers.  They always told me they wanted to do something apart and they have done very well.

Here is a short story.  They were in town (Honolulu) and I had them staying at a hotel my friend was manager at.  A nice hotel.  Now for breakfast a common thing for them was a protein shake.  So I show up and they want me to have one.  I said thats okay I just ate.  So I watched David make it.

1 can tuna (drained of course, in water)
6 eggs (whole)
1 can Diet Orange soda
Some protein powder
mix it up good with the blender.  Take the lid off, hold your nose and drink.  Very disgusting and smelled horrible

Well at check out I came to pick them up.  Here comes Peter with his suitcase completely wrapped in duct tape.  I said what happened.  He shooshes me and says hurry get in the car lets go.  I get in and again ask what happened.  He say I got like 30 pillows in there.  I said what the hell you taken pillow for.  He siad they are goose down pillows and they cost at least $30 each and they are the best.  I couldn't believe it.  They stole all the pillows off the maid carts in the hall.  I swear they are so funny.  We had allot of fun in Hawaii when we were together.  Ask him if he remembers me (at 300), David (270), Peter (235), Butch Perry (240) riding in the convertible VW Rabbit in front of the hotel going in circles so fast the tires were burning and the car almost flipping.  Grymko was on the ground laughing his brains out.  It was so funny and so many people were watching us taking pictures. Oh god and the buffet story in unreal.  So may good ones I had with those guys. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »
I'll confess; I only heard the story from others and the story does change a bit, depending on who is telling the tale.

The fundamentals of the story are that Lyle chased both brothers out the back door of the 1st room at Gold's Venice, and then about 10-15 seconds later, the brothers were spotted out the front door running up Hampton Dr. (towards Rose) with Lyle in hot pursuit.

I don't know why Lyle was mad, but I'm guessing he wasn't that mad, because as a former NFL Defensive End, I'm pretty sure he could have caught David or Peter, if he really wanted. ;D

T-

The fight started from when the twins destroyed an entire wall in Lyles house and didn't pay for it or something.  Grymko told me the story but I can't remember much more.

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »
Both of them are awesome together when singing.  In 1993 or so when Twin Sitters came out we went to Hilo.  We spoke at both the high schools there.  Waikea High was awesome.  We showed up and was walking through the school and every single student and teacher came outside.  The principle came and met us and took us to the cafeteria for lunch.  We ate so much and then after lunch we went to an area they set up and I talked for a little bit then both of them talked.  Then they put on a concert that got the people going crazy.  The do a kind of rap and rock thing.  It is really good.  The had songs they had written like the Harley Davidson Song (which was awesome when they perfromed it) and War With the Wieghts, Are You Tough Enough (which I really like) and others.  They are really good singers.  They always told me they wanted to do something apart and they have done very well.

Here is a short story.  They were in town (Honolulu) and I had them staying at a hotel my friend was manager at.  A nice hotel.  Now for breakfast a common thing for them was a protein shake.  So I show up and they want me to have one.  I said thats okay I just ate.  So I watched David make it.

1 can tuna (drained of course, in water)
6 eggs (whole)
1 can Diet Orange soda
Some protein powder
mix it up good with the blender.  Take the lid off, hold your nose and drink.  Very disgusting and smelled horrible

Well at check out I came to pick them up.  Here comes Peter with his suitcase completely wrapped in duct tape.  I said what happened.  He shooshes me and says hurry get in the car lets go.  I get in and again ask what happened.  He say I got like 30 pillows in there.  I said what the hell you taken pillow for.  He siad they are goose down pillows and they cost at least $30 each and they are the best.  I couldn't believe it.  They stole all the pillows off the maid carts in the hall.  I swear they are so funny.  We had allot of fun in Hawaii when we were together.  Ask him if he remembers me (at 300), David (270), Peter (235), Butch Perry (240) riding in the convertible VW Rabbit in front of the hotel going in circles so fast the tires were burning and the car almost flipping.  Grymko was on the ground laughing his brains out.  It was so funny and so many people were watching us taking pictures. Oh god and the buffet story in unreal.  So may good ones I had with those guys. 
oh my god,that was so fu.....g funny,i'm just pictureing that,man u and Tommy got awesome stories of dave and peter-i luv these stories.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2006, 11:24:55 PM »
Butch Perry getting a little ink... nice. I haven't heard that name in 10 years. :)
a