Author Topic: 295 lb Front Squats from last leg workout.  (Read 13909 times)

jon cole

• Getbig IV
Re: 295 lb Front Squats from last leg workout.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »

pretty good and simple workout...
mine are a  little bit similar

tuesday = full squat - stiff legged dl - lunges.

friday = deadlift - front squat.

bread and butter style but really efficient.

after reflexion it's a little bit westside style, stiff legged mimic regular dl and front squat mimic squat but in a lighter way.
asstropin

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »

Nothing fancy, just put more weight on the bar month after month and leg and back will grow...

I read ton's of article and for dl and squat and with my personnal practice i think recovery of the lower back is the key, legs can tolerate a huge amont of work (squatting hard running etc), but lower back can burn out very quick and recovery of the lower back is the key for progress in dl and squat.

So i am very careful about it, and i generally do a light friday workout every 3 week.

lunge hit the leg from a different angle, stiff legged dl is a good assistance for squat and dl and front squat is indispensable...

Form should be perfect in squat and dl and i never hesitate to do a light workout if i feel i'm not "on it".

Great Post!

I couldn't agree more.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
I remembered this thread from several years ago and figured I would revisit it.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
Good lifts

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
I remembered this thread from several years ago and figured I would revisit it.

Nice.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
Yes the small of the back is of extreme importance.  

GoodMorning's have shown to be a prime movement for the development of the total chain of rear muscles, from the upper traps down to the calves and ankles. Another version is sitting on the edge of a bench (bolted to floor of course) and doing GM's  that way. More of a direct focus on that lower hinge of the lower back and hip structure. Powerful abs can also be a great help with squatting, front or regular, they assist to stable that lower back. Weaker abs may also have a bearing on some lower back problems when squatting.

SLDL's are similar but not quite the same as GM's. Adding a shrug motion at the top position, each rep, is done by some men. With regards to the GM's and SLDL's, I would favor the Romanian DL over both...just my view and results I get. By all means, do what gives your individual best results.

Just to note: Seem many Olympic lifters (some in the lighter classes ((87kg down)) do reps/sets with squat cleans from 300 to 400 plus in regular workouts. Some going down to the lowest point possible. Much more when bar is taken off a rack. Front squats, excellent way to develop that teardrop affect on the legs.

Good Luck.

F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
Thanks guys.

I am trying out a 5x5 variation that I came up with. It consists of 5 week cycles and has been working well. This training cycle I focused on standing overhead press and front squats. Added about 10% to each lift and did about 5% over my previous best in both lifts. I started the training cycle with 300lbx3 with a belt. Four weeks later got 300lbx5 without a belt. After 5 weeks got 315x4 with a belt. And after 10 weeks got 330lbs x 3.

I have also been working on front squatting with a clean grip. I am getting more and more comfortable with it and can use it for heavy singles or multiple rep sets with lower weights. The training session where I hit 330x3 I was able to go up to 265x2 with the clean grip before the bar started to slide a little, so then I switched to the arms crossed version. It's not really an issue on singles from what I have tried so far but more on multiple rep sets with heavier weights. I am getting better with it though and hopefully will get to the point when it's the only way I will front squat.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »
 ;D
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
;D

Who is the guy in the top picture?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
The cross over hand placement was once very popular among BB'ers. Pretty easy, once getting use to it and the bar will tend to be a solid position. A little beef on the front of the shoulder girdle and upper pecs can make it even more of a solid position. Not really a grip at all, because the bar is cradled rather than held.

Seen a few who would even hold their arms straight ahead, from that cradle position, more like a 45/90 degree angle. Though that can be tiring for the arms after a few higher reps. Tried both positions without any problems. Seems almost natural in a way...to me anyway.

BB'ers have place their heels on a 2X4, BB plates, etc to throw the main influence on the lower quads to get that tear drop effect. Olympic lifters will have raised heels on their lifting shoes/boots for better balance when going into the extreme low position of the squat cleans or for most training sessions. These raised heels also help BB'ers retain their balance and this way actually seems to add a certain degree of power to the lift.

Raise heels tend to product less stress on the low back for a lot of guys, for either front or regular squats.

Good Luck.
F

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
Never was able to hold a bar with that akward position... I do my front squats with a pair a dumbells which are a pain in the ass to get up there