Author Topic: Liberal Media Bias  (Read 166458 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Liberal Media Bias
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
CBS, NBC Ignore Embarrassing Gaffe: Obama Caught Mocking Israel's Prime Minister
By Scott Whitlock | November 08, 2011

msnbc reported it all day.  over and over.  along with analysis.  it got annoying. all you have are a bunch of leaders (who are dicks) trashing other leaders.

I mean, if you want to watch a bunch of dicks all day, go to the GOP convention.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
He's right.

Newt Gingrich: MSNBC Essentially Acts As ‘The Obama Re-Election Team’
by Colby Hall | 4:27 pm, November 17th, 2011

Newly branded GOP frontrunner Newt Gingrich appeared today at a campaign rally in Jacksonville, Florida, and was asked by a presumptive supporter how he intends to deal with the media bias he’ll face in his run for office. After openly talking about his recent surge in the polls, Gingrich gave a surprisingly candid assessment of the political media landscape, at least on cable news, calling MSNBC the “Obama re-election team,” and intimating that he gets a nicer reception on Fox News than does Obama.

Gingrich’s assessment was a pretty frank and honest view of how the cable news portrays a variety of candidates running for office, and he said as much without condescension or ire. In fact, most reasonable people will hear his comments and agree. A rough transcript of Gingrich’s comments (via TV Eyes):

I was dead in June and July as a candidate, not as a person. As a candidate. And now I’m apparently not dead. And according to Fox last night, I’m in first place. I think realistically I’m tied with Romney….we’re both somewhere in about the –
But here’s the key thing to remember. We all complained correctly when the news media failed to investigate Barack Obama. We complained when they refused to look at William Ayers. We complained when they didn’t actually explain Saul Alinsky and what it was all about and what community organizer meant. We were right to complain about that. Wo now they’re actually doing for us what they wouldn’t do for Obama. They’re doing it partly out of bias.

I understand that and i understand there are places like MSNBC that are essentially the Obama re-election team. But that’s fine. This is a free society. You can say that Fox tends to be nicer to (inaudible) than to Obama. In the next three weeks i predict to you we’ll have all sorts of questions about me. and it’s fine. You cannot ask the people of the united states to loan you the most powerful governmental job in the world, particularly on a campaign that is promising very drama change, and not have them vet you carefully and thoroughly.
In GOP quarters the company line has been that Barack Obama wasn’t properly vetted by the media. Anyone who watched Fox News opinion programs in 2008, however, and saw what seemed like an endless loop of Rev. Wright talking about chickens coming home to roost would likely disagree. But Gingrich’s comments that its all “fine” and that “this is a free society” appear to reflect a kinder and happier tone of someone who if likely happy to be at the top of the polls.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/newt-gingrich-msnbc-essentially-acts-as-the-obama-re-election-team/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
He's right.

by Colby Hall | 4:27 pm, November 17th, 2011

Newly branded GOP frontrunner Newt Gingrich appeared today at a campaign rally in Jacksonville, Florida, and was asked by a presumptive supporter how he intends to deal with the media bias he’ll face in his run for office. After openly talking about his recent surge in the polls, Gingrich gave a surprisingly candid assessment of the political media landscape, at least on cable news, calling MSNBC the “Obama re-election team,” and intimating that he gets a nicer reception on Fox News than does Obama.

Gingrich’s assessment was a pretty frank and honest view of how the cable news portrays a variety of candidates running for office, and he said as much without condescension or ire. In fact, most reasonable people will hear his comments and agree. A rough transcript of Gingrich’s comments (via TV Eyes):

I was dead in June and July as a candidate, not as a person. As a candidate. And now I’m apparently not dead. And according to Fox last night, I’m in first place. I think realistically I’m tied with Romney….we’re both somewhere in about the –
But here’s the key thing to remember. We all complained correctly when the news media failed to investigate Barack Obama. We complained when they refused to look at William Ayers. We complained when they didn’t actually explain Saul Alinsky and what it was all about and what community organizer meant. We were right to complain about that. Wo now they’re actually doing for us what they wouldn’t do for Obama. They’re doing it partly out of bias.

I understand that and i understand there are places like MSNBC that are essentially the Obama re-election team. But that’s fine. This is a free society. You can say that Fox tends to be nicer to (inaudible) than to Obama. In the next three weeks i predict to you we’ll have all sorts of questions about me. and it’s fine. You cannot ask the people of the united states to loan you the most powerful governmental job in the world, particularly on a campaign that is promising very drama change, and not have them vet you carefully and thoroughly.
In GOP quarters the company line has been that Barack Obama wasn’t properly vetted by the media. Anyone who watched Fox News opinion programs in 2008, however, and saw what seemed like an endless loop of Rev. Wright talking about chickens coming home to roost would likely disagree. But Gingrich’s comments that its all “fine” and that “this is a free society” appear to reflect a kinder and happier tone of someone who if likely happy to be at the top of the polls.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/newt-gingrich-msnbc-essentially-acts-as-the-obama-re-election-team/

Bingo - just look at 240's threads.   They mirror MSNBC nonsense by the hour.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
He's right.

He's correct.  And FOX provides a balance by acting as the "Obama loses in 2012" network team.

Is anyone still denying either FACT?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »

Bingo - just look at 240's threads.   They mirror MSNBC nonsense by the hour.   

how do you know?  are you watching msnbc all day?  settle down, OWSer.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
how do you know?  are you watching msnbc all day?  settle down, OWSer.

I have a facebrook friend who sends me bs all the time off of msbc that miraculous shows up here at about thwe same time.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
I have a facebrook friend who sends me bs all the time off of msbc that miraculous shows up here at about thwe same time.   

what are you doing socializing with libs like that? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »
Fast And Furious Watch: No Coverage From NBC Nightly News In All of 2011
Big Journalism ^ | 12-13-11 | Mary Chastain

It’s been a very busy week for Operation Fast and Furious. Last Friday, the Department of Justice dumped 1400 pages of documents on Congress. On Saturday we learned US undercover drug agents laundered money for Mexican drug cartels. Wednesday we learned they were using Fast and Furious to make a case for gun regulations. Thursday was a big day because Attorney General Eric Holder testified in front of the House Judiciary Committee.

Sharyl Attkisson, Matthew Boyle, Katie Pavlich, and Cam Edwards did a great job covering all of these stories. Other Old Media outlets covered them but buried them deep in their websites and newspapers. Two news organizations didn’t report on any of these. One of them is NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Cam Edwards appears to be right. NBC will do anything to avoid mentioning Operation Fast and Furious. Then again, they haven’t mentioned Fast and Furious ONCE all year, but this past week would have been the best time.

(Excerpt) Read more at bigjournalism.com ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
‘60 MINUTES’ EDITS OUT OBAMA‘S CLAIM THAT HE’S THE FOURTH BEST PRESIDENT

President Barack Obama sat for an extensive interview with CBS’s “60 Minutes” last week, though it appears the portion of the interview actually broadcast on TV left out a statement where Obama essentially declared himself the fourth best president in terms of his accomplishments.

The statement was only made available online as part of the full interview on “60 Minutes Overtime.”

According to a transcript posted on the “60 Minutes” website, Obama said he would hold his accomplishments so far as president against those of Lyndon B. Johnson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.

“I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president — with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln — just in terms of what we’ve gotten done in modern history,” Obama told CBS’s Steve Kroft.

Watch the full interview below. The statement comes at the very end, around the 56:10 mark of the 56:53-minute video:

Or just hear the relevant clip here:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/60-minutes-edits-out-obamas-claim-that-hes-the-fourth-best-president/

How unbelievably arrogant is this guy? $15 trillion in debt, U6 over 18%, our economy and standing in the world in shambles and this twat has the audacity to rank himself as the 4th best president?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
LOL they should bring this up over and over again, this hack is so delusional it would be funny if he wasnt president.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
LOL they should bring this up over and over again, this hack is so delusional it would be funny if he wasnt president.

the best part is that he says it with a straight face.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Name That Party: Local Media Largely Omit Democratic Affiliation of Criminal D.C. Councilman
By Ken Shepherd | January 06, 2012

A Democratic member of the Washington, D.C. City Council announced his resignation yesterday after he decided to plea guilty to federal charges of embezzlement and filing false tax returns.

The news of Harry Thomas Junior's resignation made the front page of today's Washington Post, which promptly noted the disgraced councilman's Democratic Party affiliation. Thomas's party affiliation, however, was ignored by the websites for WJLA and WRC, the ABC and NBC affiliates. WUSA, the CBS affiliate, mentioned deep in its coverage that Thomas "agreed to resign from the seat once held by his father representing residents of the heavy democratic voting Ward 5."

Relying on an Associated Press story, 24-hour radio news station WTOP failed to note Thomas's party affiliation in a story on his forthcoming guilty plea. National Public Radio-affiliated D.C. station WAMU failed to note Thomas's party affiliation on its website.

WAMU is owned and operated by -- and its FCC license is granted to -- American University, a private educational institution in the District of Columbia. The station "is not associated with other public radio or television stations in the area, nor is it an ancillary facility of National Public Radio," and its revenue is largely generated by listener contributions. That said, WAMU received $247,500 in its 2011 fiscal year in NPR licensing fees, $260,302 in a "national program acquisition grant from CPB [the Corporation for Public Broadcasting]," and $733,217 in a "community service grant from CPB."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2012/01/06/name-party-local-media-largely-omit-democratic-affiliation-criminal-dc

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
ABC's GOP Debate Questions 6 to 1 Liberal, 25% on Contraception, Gay Rights
By Scott Whitlock | January 09, 2012

ABC's GOP presidential debate on Saturday overflowed with liberal questions. Of the 48 queries by George Stephanopoulos, Diane Sawyer and others, 20 came from the left, three were from the right and 25 were neutral or horse race questions. A whopping 25 percent (12 questions) revolved around contraception-related subjects or gay rights.

Although birth control isn't exactly a pressing 2012 issue (especially in a tough economy) , George Stephanopoulos wasted seven questions on contraception. The former Democratic operative began by noting Rick Santorum's belief that there is no constitutional "right to privacy." He added, "And following from that, he believes that states have the right to ban contraception." The co-moderator repeated, "Governor Romney, do you believe that states have the right to ban contraception? Or is that trumped by a constitutional right to privacy?"

When the ABC journalists weren't grilling the Republicans on birth control, the subject was gay marriage and homosexual issues in general (five questions). Josh McElveen, of New Hampshire's WMUR spun the candidates as unfeeling for not supporting the rights of gays to adopt.

To Santorum, he chided, "Your position on same-sex adoption, obviously, you are in favor of traditional families, but are you going to tell someone they belong in -- as a ward of the state or in foster care, rather than have two parents who want them?"

Co-moderator Sawyer read a question e-mailed from "Phil in Virginia." She sympathetically quoted, "We simply want to have the right to...form loving, committed, long-term relationships." Sawyer added, "In human terms, what would you say to them?"

Only three questions came from the right. One of those was when McElveen hit Ron Paul for not being in sync with the party's stance of a strong national defense: "You have said that you wouldn’t have authorized the raid to get Osama bin Laden. You think that a nuclear Iran is really none of our business. How do you reconcile that, when part of your job as president would be" to defend America?

The bias grew so bad that Newt Gingrich, again, spoke out, slamming the moderators. In relation to the focus on gay rights, he ripped:

NEWT GINGRICH:  I just want to raise a point about the news media bias. You don’t hear the opposite question asked. Should the Catholic Church be forced to close its adoption services in Massachusetts because it won’t accept gay couples, which is exactly what the state has done? Should the Catholic Church be driven out of providing charitable services in the District of Columbia because it won’t give in to secular bigotry? Should the Catholic Church find itself discriminated against by the Obama administration on key delivery of services because of the bias and the bigotry of the administration? The bigotry question goes both ways. And there’s a lot more anti-Christian bigotry today than there is concerning the other side. And none of it gets covered by the news media.

Shouldn't the point of a Republican debate be to inform Republican voters who is the authentic conservative? All Stephanopoulos and Sawyer did was badger the candidates with liberal talking points.

NBC's debate on Sunday featured liberal questions by an eight-to-one margin.

Some of the questions from Saturday's debate:

Story Continues Below Ad ↓
GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Senator Santorum has been very clear in his belief that the Supreme Court was wrong when it decided that a right to privacy was embedded in the Constitution. And following from that, he believes that states have the right to ban contraception. Now I should add that he said he’s not recommending that states do that-

STEPHANOPOULOS: Governor Romney, do you believe that states have the right to ban contraception? Or is that trumped by a constitutional right to privacy?

STEPHANOPOULOS: [I'm] asking you, do you believe that states have that right or not?

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hold on a second. Governor, you went to Harvard Law School. You know very well this is based on-

ROMNEY: Has the Supreme Court -- has the Supreme Court decided that states do not have the right to provide contraception? I-

STEPHANOPOULOS: Yes, they have. In 1965, Griswold v. Connecticut.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But you’ve got the Supreme Court decision finding a right to privacy in the Constitution.

STEPHANOPOULOS: I understand that. But you’ve given two answers to the question. Do you believe that the Supreme Court should overturn it or not?

DIANE SAWYER: I want to turn now, if I can, from the Constitutional and the elevated here, to something closer to home and to maybe families sitting in their living rooms all across this country.

Yahoo! sends us questions, as you know. We have them from real viewers. And I’d like to post one, because it is about gay marriage. But at the level -- and I would really love to be able to ask you what you would say personally, sitting in your living rooms, to the people who ask questions like this.

This is from Phil in Virginia. “Given that you oppose gay marriage, what do you want gay people to do who want to form loving, committed, long-term relationships? What is your solution?” And, Speaker Gingrich?

JOSH MCELVEEN: I’d like to go to Senator Santorum with a similar topic. We’re in a state where it is legal for same-sex couples to marry. Eighteen hundred, in fact, couples have married since it became law here in New Hampshire. The legislature passed it a couple of years ago. And they’re trying to start families, some of them. Your position on same-sex adoption, obviously, you are in favor of traditional families, but are you going to tell someone they belong in -- as a ward of the state or in foster care, rather than have two parents who want them?

MCELVEEN: Well, let me ask you to follow up on that, if you don’t mind, Senator. With those 1,800 -- if you -- we have a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, what happens to the 1,800 families who have married here? Are their marriages basically illegitimate at this point?

SAWYER: If I could come back to the living room question again, Governor Romney, would you weigh in on the Yahoo question about what you would say sitting down in your living room to a gay couple who say, “We simply want to have the right to,” as the -- as the person who wrote the e-mail said -- “we want gay people to form loving, committed, long-term relationships.” In human terms, what would you say to them?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2012/01/09/abcs-gop-debate-questions-6-1-liberal-25-contraception-gay-rights

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
"A whopping 25 percent (12 questions) revolved around contraception-related subjects or gay rights."

I'm mad that it was this much.

I don't think 1/4 of our nation's problems are related to men kissing men.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
Media Buries Obama Selling Access at $45,000 Per Donor Closed-to Press $1.1 Million Fundraiser
Monday, January 9, 2011 | Kristinn
Posted on January 9, 2012 10:55:01 PM EST by kristinn

In their reports on tonight's two D.C. fundraising events by Barack Obama, the news media is burying the outrageous access-selling of the presidency for $45,000 by Obama to a select group of just 25 donors that brought in $1.125 million for his reelection campaign and Democratic party coffers.

The exclusive "roundtable discussion" fundraiser was closed to the press. The only report on what was said at the event is based on what Obama himself related at a later man-of-the-people fundraiser of 700 donors that cost $100 per person which was open to the press.

The AP report on Obama's fundraising buried the mention of the 25 person, $45,000 per person fundraiser in the last paragraph of the nine paragraph article:

At an earlier event Monday at the swanky Jefferson Hotel, Obama joined around 25 guests for a closed-press round table discussion with tickets $45,000 each and proceeds split between his campaign and the Swing State Victory Fund, which supports Democrats in battleground states.

ABC News also reported on Obama's night of fundraising, but like the AP, they buried the mention of Obama's 25 person, $45,000 per person fundraiser in the eleventh paragraph of a fourteen paragraph article:

Earlier in the evening, Obama attended an exclusive fundraiser with 25 supporters at the Jefferson Hotel in Washington. Each paid $45,000 to attend, according to a Democratic official. The event, which was closed to all press coverage, was dubbed a “roundtable discussion” by a White House spokesman.

Obama told the crowd at the Hilton that he spent time “reminiscing about the 2008 campaign” with those deep-pocket supporters, but had to give them a reality-check.

“I said, ‘You guys are engaging in some selective memory here,’” he said. “First of all, 2008 wasn’t easy at all. There were all kinds of setbacks and miscues. Times I screwed up. But just over three years later, just because of what you did … we’ve begun to see what change looks like.”

The funds raised at the private event benefited the Obama Victory Fund and Swing State Victory Fund, two joint fundraising accounts for the Obama campaign and Democratic National Committee. The second event benefited only the Obama Victory Fund.

The previous maximum donation at Obama fundraisers in 2011 was $37,500. The new $45,000 maximum reflects a new fundraising venture called the Swing State Victory Fund.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
is this the embarrassing gaffe?

who cares?

also, who cares if Bush called some reporter an asshole

what's so shocking about either of those things

yeah i don't get it either.  i mean i guess it's rude.  but for ANY news station to comment on it all day?  doesn't make sense.  at least if he made an obscene gesture or called the guy an asshat or something.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Inside Media Matters: Should group lose tax exempt status?
Published February 15, 2012 | Hannity | Sean Hannity

SEAN HANNITY, HOST: And finally tonight, the blatant bias of Media Matters has been exposed, thanks to shocking internal memos uncovered by the Daily Caller. And one of the main target of that left-leaning organization is none other than the Fox News Channel.

Now, one memo from 2009 written to the founder and president reads quote, "Simply put, the progressive movement is in need of an enemy. George W. Bush is gone. We really don't have John McCain to kick around anymore. Filling the lack of leadership on the right, Fox News has emerged as the central enemy and antagonist of the Obama administration, our Congressional majorities and the progressive movement as a whole."

Now, the same memo also suggested that it would be a good idea to do opposition research on the people that work at this network. It reads, quote, "We should also hire a team of trackers to stake out private and public events with Fox News anchors, hosts, reporters, prominent contributors and senior network corporate staff."

And now Congress is reportedly planning to question the group's tax exempt status.

. . . .

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2012/02/16/inside-media-matters-should-group-lose-tax-exempt-status

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
Flashback: Networks Severely Edited Rev. Wright Soundbites, Hailed Obama's 'Race Speech'
By Tim Graham | May 18, 2012

Since The New York Times decided to put Reverend Jeremiah Wright back on the nation's agenda, it's important to note that some voters (especially the youngest new voters) may not understand what happened in the last cycle. The most important part for them is this: Barack Obama said in a widely hailed speech on March 18, 2008 that "I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community." He then disowned him on April 29, and finally cut ties to the church entirely on May 31. None of his craven (if very delayed) moves were forced by the networks, which covered them like a sad family decision.

A 2008 Media Research Center Special Report studying ABC, CBS, and NBC news broadcasts  revealed that a viewer watching only broadcast TV news would have received a very limited (and even censored) version of Wright’s most outrageous sermons. Key findings:

The broadcast networks took an entire year to locate Reverend Wright. Despite a feisty interview on Fox News Channel’s Hannity & Colmes back on March 1, 2007 about Obama’s church’s controversial commitment to a "black value system," the name of Jeremiah Wright didn’t surface on the Big Three networks until CBS first broached it on February 28, 2008. The first story with Wright sermon soundbites aired two weeks later, on ABC on March 13. By then, 42 states and the District of Columbia had already voted.

The broadcast network evening news shows gave virtually no coverage to Wright soundbites in March. Snippets of Wright’s sermons drew only 72 seconds of evening news coverage in all of March, or an average of 24 seconds per network, less than one commercial.

The Big Three morning shows gave four times as much time to Wright soundbites as the evening shows in March. The morning shows carried almost five minutes of Wright clips (297 seconds), with ABC offering the most at 128 seconds. The other two networks each ran less than 90 seconds.

The networks completely ignored soundbites of Wright’s conspiracy theory about the U.S. government inventing AIDS to kill blacks, and mostly ignored his comments about the September 11 terrorist attacks being "America’s chickens coming home to roost." None of the network morning or evening shows found one opportunity to air Wright’s 2003 sermon accusing the federal government of hiding the truth about their "inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color." His attack on America’s alleged record of terrorism and violence was ignored by all three evening shows, as well as by CBS’s The Early Show.

The broadcast networks gave clips of Obama’s "race speech" on March 18 more than twice as much air time in a few hours than they gave all of the Wright bites aired in the month of March. The evening news shows on March 18 carried almost six minutes (348 seconds) of highlights from the Obama speech, or roughly five times more than all the Wright bites in March. The morning shows carried roughly nine and a half minutes (572 seconds) of sound from the speech. The three morning shows gave almost twice as much time to the Obama speech clips as they devoted to Wright soundbites in March. Combined, Obama’s one speech drew about 15 minutes of clips, while Wright’s years of sermons drew about six minutes.

Broadcast network interview segments on the Wright remarks and Obama’s race speech in March were dominated by liberal guests. When the networks allowed Republican or conservative guests, they stayed neutral or praised Obama’s remarks. Overall, the network pundit count was 16 to 5. CBS especially loaded its reaction panels with nine liberals and just one right-leaning pundit, pollster Frank Luntz, who contained his remarks to grading Obama’s stagecraft. NBC allowed six liberals and three conservatives. ABC aired one liberal and one conservative.

Wright’s National Press Club vitriol repeating his opinions about an AIDS conspiracy and America deserving 9/11 went virtually unreported. The broadcast network morning and evening shows aired only two and a half minutes (155 seconds) of soundbites from Wright’s April 28 performance at the National Press Club, but there were no soundbites about AIDS and only 23 seconds about America deserving a terrorist attack. By contrast, these same Big Three shows aired almost six minutes (358 seconds) of clips of Wright’s softball interview with Bill Moyers on PBS, where he accused conservatives of smearing him as a hater.

In today’s rapid-fire political atmosphere of cable news, talk radio, and the Internet, media analysts can easily make the mistake of believing that the leading network news outlets were tough on a candidate because of the general perception of how the entire media – Old Media and New Media – brought a controversy to the public’s attention. But voters who sampled only a light menu of news from Big Three network TV could easily have missed the depths of Reverend Wright’s outrageous remarks. No one could find in these stories a scouring scrutiny of Obama’s decades of membership in his controversial church.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/05/18/flashback-networks-severely-edited-rev-wright-soundbites-hailed-obamas-r

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
Biggest Religious Lawsuit in U.S. History Launched, Liberal Evening News Shows Ignore It
By Brent Bozell | May 22, 2012

The evening news broadcasts all but spiked the largest legal action in history to defend our Constitutionally-protected religious freedom. The May 21 editions of ABC’s World News and NBC’s Nightly News refused to report the fact that 43 Catholic dioceses and organizations filed a lawsuit on Monday against the Obama administration. CBS Evening News gave this historic news a mere 19 seconds of air time.

This is the worst bias by omission I have seen in the quarter century history of the Media Research Center. Every American knows about the Chinese communists withholding for 20 years the news that the US had landed on the moon, because it reflected poorly on the government. Our US media today are no different. They are now withholding news from the American people if it is harmful to the re-election of Barack Obama.

This is not a mistake, nor is it an editorial oversight by the broadcast networks. This is a deliberate and insidious withholding of national news to protect the ‘Chosen One’ who ABC, CBS and NBC have worked so hard to elect and are now abusing their journalistic influence to reelect Obama. And when a network like CBS mentions the suit ever-so-briefly, they deliberately distort the issue by framing it as a contraception lawsuit instead of what they know it to be: a religious freedom issue. It’s bogus, dishonest – a flat out lie.

The fact is that the Catholic Church has unleashed legal Armageddon on the administration, promising ‘we will not comply’ with a health law that strips Catholics of their religious liberty. If this isn't 'news' then there's no such thing as news. This should be leading newscasts and the subject of special, in-depth reports. Instead, these networks are sending a clear message to all Americans that the networks will go to any lengths – even censoring from the public an event of this historic magnitude – to prevent the release of any information that will hurt Obama’s chances of re-election.

The so-called 'news' media have sunk to a new low. This is despicable.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bozell/2012/05/22/biggest-religious-lawsuit-us-history-launched-liberal-evening-news-sho

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »
Outrage Over 72 Hours Of Network Silence On Catholic Lawsuit Spreads To Other Christian Leaders
By NB Staff | May 24, 2012

Fury over the ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts’ continued refusal to report the lawsuits Catholic entities have filed against the Obama administration has spread beyond the Media Research Center watchdog group and Catholic leaders to nine additional Christian leaders equally concerned about this decision to deliberately not report national news. Below are statements released by FRC’s Tony Perkins, Gary Bauer of American Values and seven more leaders.

For the third night in a row the broadcast networks have refused to cover this correctly. This momentum is fueled by CBS Evening News’ outrageous decision not only to spike the Catholic lawsuits but instead to lead the news with yet another story about the Catholic sex abuse scandal. The broadcast devoted two minutes and 31 seconds to the accused abusers and allegations that occurred decades ago. That’s roughly eight times more coverage than CBS Evening News gave the historic lawsuit on Monday.

“Those fleeting 19 seconds remain the only evening news coverage of the damning anti-Obama lawsuit in 72 hours since the unprecedented suing by one of the largest institutions in the country,” stated Media Research Center President Brent Bozell. “Make no mistake – CBS intentionally resurrected the decade-old scandal last night while ignoring the lawsuit to throw salt on the wound of America’s 60 million Catholics. The media are holding this historic news hostage from the American people. At least CBS has heard of the word 'Catholic.'  ABC and NBC are behaving like the Catholic Church -- and one out of every four Americans -- don’t exist.”

Statements

"This week Catholic leaders filed lawsuits responding to an unprecedented federal government intrusion into the church.  Several major netwrks have chosen to ignore the stand that these Catholic organizations have taken in defense of our most fundament freedom.  However, thousands of priests, pastors, and rabbis will continue to speak out and refuse to surrender their most fundamental right to live and exercise faith without compromise.  The church will not allow itself to be conscripted to advance anyone's liberal political agenda."

Tony Perkins
President, Family Research Council

"It is a shame (though hardly surprising) that the mainstream media have virtually ignored the lawsuit by the Catholic bishops and other Catholic institutions against the Obama administration’s unconstitutional assault on religious liberty. With its attempt to force Catholic institutions to purchase healthcare plans with contraceptives and abortifacients, the administration has revealed how willing it is to trample constitutional rights. By ignoring this story, the media’s liberal bias has never been clearer."

Gary L. Bauer
Former Presidential Candidate
President American Values
Chairman the Campaign for Working Families

"The media have been irresponsible in ignoring growing problems with President Obama's healthcare law. The violations of First Amendment Rights of Conscience has been an AUL concern throughout this process, and the lack of coverage of this unprecedented intrusion into the life of faith should not be ignored. If any Administration is permitted to force Americans to act against their consciences as a matter of policy, it will change the very fabric of the American way of life. The very real concerns expressed in the Catholic lawsuits should be a major media focus, particularly in this election season."

Dr. Charmaine Yoest
President and CEO of Americans United for Life

"Once again, the mainstream media ignore the news.  Now that the Catholic bishops have stood tall, it's the media that fell down and abased themselves before Obama's throne.  Obama has declared war on truth, conscience, and the religious liberties that have defined America.  If Judeo-Christian values ever had a Valley Forge, the legal action against the HHS mandate is that moment."

Rev. Louis P. Sheldon
Chairman, Traditional Values Coalition

Andrea Lafferty
President, Traditional Values Coalition

"The controversy over the HHS mandate is not just a Catholic issue, but one that affects people of all faiths, including our Christian schools, as it is a direct attack on the religious liberty that is a vital part of the foundation of our country. Despite the media’s deafening silence on the tremendous outcry over this issue, people of faith will not stand idly by while our religious freedoms are stripped away."

Dr. Keith Wiebe
President. American Association of Christian Schools

“The lack of media attention regarding the 12 law suits that over 40 organizations have filed against the Obama Administration’s HHS mandate is disappointing and yet predictable. The Obama Administration’s assault on religious liberty is not new, but the President has become more bold with every attack, likely because the main stream media has erected a shield of silence to protect him from public scrutiny. Undermining the conscience rights of individuals by requiring people of faith to directly pay for abortion-inducing drugs, despite their religious convictions, Obama has ignited a firestorm among millions of Americans who understand the threats Obama’s mandates pose to our freedom.”

Mathew Staver
Founder and Chairman, Liberty Counsel
Dean and Professor, Liberty University School of Law
Director, Liberty Center for Law and Policy

“The simultaneous filing of more than 40 lawsuits by Catholic institutions against Obama's mandate to suppress religious liberty is one of the biggest news stories of the year.   An even bigger news story is that the mainstream media tried to suppress it.”

Phylls Schlafly
Founder and President, Eagle Forum

“With the failure to properly address, or even address at all, the most astounding, massive lawsuit ever filed by religious institutions, the mainstream media has removed any doubt regarding their sold-out allegiance to the party of the Democrats. The mainstream media’s intentional and flagrant disregard of the most monumental legal defense in American history by a religious institution, the Catholic Church, against an overreaching, religious-freedom-usurpation by any U.S. administration shows two things. First, it shows a blind allegiance by the mainstream media to the party and causes of the Democrats that far exceeds adherence to anything remotely resembling journalistic integrity. Second, it shows a disdain, disregard and dismissive attitude of decision makers in the mainstream media toward organized Christian religion. It is indeed a sad time in America for those who admired true journalistic integrity.”

Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01)

PS: Read more in Brent Bozell's column "Shameless Bias By Omission."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb-staff/2012/05/24/outrage-over-72-hours-network-silence-catholic-lawsuit-spreads-other-chris

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »
Obama exercised fiscal restraint?  Now I've heard everything.   ::)

Media Mostly Mum on Outrageous Obama Claim of Fiscal Restraint
By Scott Whitlock | May 25, 2012

White House spokesman Jay Carney on Wednesday lectured journalists to not believe the "BS" that Barack Obama is a reckless spender. Rather than investigate Carney's assertions, or the sketchy basis for them, reporters have either embraced the talking points or allowed them to go unchallenged.

Chris Matthews on Wednesday repeated the "fact" that federal spending "is rising at the slowest rate" in 60 years. The network evening and morning shows have failed to investigate this highly questionable assertion from MarketWatch's Rex Nutting. The Washington Post, however, gave this claim "three Pinocchios" and chided Carney, "The data in the article are flawed, and the analysis lacks context."

Fact checker Glenn Kessler instructed Carney to "do a better job of checking his facts before accusing reporters of failing to do so. The picture is not as rosy as he portrayed it when accurate numbers, taken in context, are used."

Kessler explained:

Nutting basically takes much of 2009 out of Obama’s column, saying it was the “the last [year] of George W. Bush’s presidency.” Of course, with the recession crashing down, that’s when federal spending ramped up. The federal fiscal year starts on Oct. 1, so the 2009 fiscal year accounts for about four months of Bush’s presidency and eight of Obama’s.

In theory, one could claim that the budget was already locked in when Obama took office, but that’s not really the case. Most of the appropriations bills had not been passed, and certainly the stimulus bill was only signed into law after Obama took office.

He added:

Of course, it takes two to tangle — a president and a Congress. Obama’s numbers get even higher if you look at what he proposed to spend, using CBO’s estimates of his budgets:

2012: $3.71 trillion (versus $3.65 trillion enacted)

2011: $3.80 trillion (versus $3.60 trillion enacted)

2010: $3.67 trillion (versus $3.46 trillion enacted)

So in every case, the president wanted to spend more money than he ended up getting. Nutting suggests that federal spending flattened under Obama, but another way to look at it is that it flattened at a much higher, post-emergency level — thanks in part to the efforts of lawmakers, not Obama.

Yet, this was of no interest to Matthews. He simply parroted, "Every once and a while I come across a fact that just blows me away" and promoted the suspicious data. MSNBC as a whole did so on Wednesday as well, much of it coming after Carney's tirade about reporters not falling for conservative "BS."

Programs such as ABC's Good Morning America, NBC's Today and the CBS Morning Show simply avoided the topic and the messy work of investigating the White House's shaky claim.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2012/05/25/media-mostly-mum-outrageous-obama-claim-fiscal-restraint-wash-post-h

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
Radio silence.

Archbishop: Networks 'missed the boat' on coverage of church's ObamaCare lawsuits
Published May 27, 2012
FoxNews.com

The archbishop of Washington on Sunday accused the network news programs of having "missed the boat" by largely ignoring lawsuits filed this past week by Catholic institutions challenging the Obama administration's so-called contraception mandate.

Cardinal Donald Wuerl, speaking on "Fox News Sunday," was responding to an analysis by the conservative Media Research Center of how the networks' evening newscasts treated coverage of the dozen federal lawsuits filed Monday.

According to the center, CBS spent 19 seconds on the story after it broke, while the other networks gave it no coverage.
"It is puzzling, particularly since they're focusing so much attention right now on the pope's butler," Wuerl said, in reference the scandal in which the pope's butler Paolo Gabriele was charged with stealing sensitive documents and is suspected of leaking them.

"It seems to me that somehow they've missed the boat. They've missed the story," Wuerl said.

The story, the archbishop said, is "religious liberty."

Wuerl adamantly defended the lawsuits, which were filed by dozens of Catholic-affiliated institutions including schools, charities and the Archdiocese of Washington.

Asked about speculation that the suits were just a vehicle for conservative members of the church to go after President Obama -- considering dozens of dioceses did not join the suit -- Wuerl said the Catholic community is unified.

"I have yet to see among the bishops any split at all," he said.

The contraception mandate was originally a requirement on religious-affiliated institutions to provide access to free contraceptive coverage, as part of the federal health care overhaul. After outcry from Catholic leaders, the administration tweaked the rule so that insurers would be responsible for providing that coverage directly.

The Obama administration argues in defense of the rule by noting that almost 99 percent of women have used contraception and many struggle with the cost, and that a majority of states already require insurance to cover birth control.

Wuerl, though, said this has never been applied at the federal level. "This whole lawsuit isn't about contraception. It's about religious freedom," he said.

He also challenged the administration's "accommodation" to religious groups, noting that many archdioceses are self-insured.

"We are the insurer," he said. "There's no accommodation."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/27/archbishop-washington-networks-missed-boat-on-lawsuit-coverage/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
Have MSNBC or Andrea Mitchell apologized for this yet?  Anyone been fired? 

MSNBC Romney Edit Draws Fire; Andrea Mitchell Briefly Addresses Controversy (VIDEO)
The Huffington Post  |  By Jack Mirkinson Posted: 06/19/2012 1:12 pm Updated: 06/19/2012 11:44 pm

MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell briefly addressed a controversy on Tuesday about the way her show had edited a clip of Mitt Romney.

The network came under fire for the way it edited comments by Romney on Monday. The candidate was in Pennsylvania, where a local chain called Wawa is popular. Romney used the nifty touch-screens at Wawa (apparently, you can use them to custom-order a sandwich) to make a point about the innovative spirit that he thinks the private sector encourages. "It's amazing," he said of the screens. "People in the private sector have learned how to compete."

The clip Mitchell showed did not feature Romney's remarks about innovations in the private sector.

Watch the full comments:

"Maybe this was Mitt Romney's supermarket scanner moment," Mitchell said, referring to a moment in the 1992 presidential campaign where George H.W. Bush appeared fascinated by a supermarket scanner at a trade show. (Bush's defenders said he was merely reacting to a technologically advanced new scanner, not that he had never seen the product before.)

"I get the feeling that Mitt Romney has not been in too many Wawas along the roadside of Pennsylvania," she continued.

After the clip played, Mitchell kept going. "It's amazing," she repeated mockingly, as Chris Cillizza let out a barking laugh. "You know when these candidates get out of their comfort zones ... you've gotta be able to speak the language," she said.

The pushback was swift, as conservatives and media writers accused MSNBC of purposefully distorting Romney's comments to make him appear out of touch. (Others defended the edit, saying it was not taken out of context.)

Sources told the Washington Post's Erik Wemple that the Romney camp had made a formal complaint to the network.

At the top of her Tuesday show, Mitchell brought Cillizza back on.

"There's been a lot of discussion overnight about a conversation you and I had yesterday," Mitchell said. "The RNC and the campaign both reached out to us, saying that Romney had more to say on that visit about federal bureaucracy and innovation in the private sector. We didn't get a chance to play that, so here it is now."

She then moved on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/msnbc-romney-edit-andrea-mitchell_n_1609298.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
CNN's breaking news ticker:  "In a purely political gesture, House Republicans vote to repeal President Obama's signature health care reform law."