Author Topic: Joe Paterno to retire from Penn State - he is done  (Read 12040 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Joe Paterno to retire from Penn State - he is done
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:57:11 AM »
I can't believe they let that nonsense go on for years

mad hatter

• Getbig II
  • The Black Honkey
Re: AP: Joe Paterno to retire from Penn State at end of season
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »
Should have been terminated when the news came out.  Considering he harbored and ignored a child rapist on his staff he should have lost any right to decide when he can leave.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:07:07 AM »
He needs to go RIGHT NOW.

bike nut

• Getbig V
  • Desperation is a stinky cologne
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
Terminated immediately and leave with the disgrace and disrespect he deserves.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »
Obviously, he has to go.  Cases like this are going climb the ladder.

I recall another “chain reaction” case back in the 1980s.  Basketball player Len Bias at the University of Maryland was drafted by the Boston Celtics.  To celebrate his selection, Len and his buddies partied hard including indulging in cocaine.  He overdosed and died!  A huge scandal ensued!  Within two months basketball coach Lefty Driesell was fired.  Within 6-7 months the campus athletic director was fired.  Within a year the university president, John Slaughter, was fired.  University leaders had cultivated a particular culture on campus that was judged partially responsible for the Bias overdose.  In the wake of the death and punishing news coverage the campus had to clean house.  Something similar will happen at Penn; if i was President at Penn, I would be looking at my retirement portfolio or talking to executive recruiters about my next job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefty_Driesell

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Sick Son of a Bitch.  >:( >:(

Happy Valley, huh?

I have some friends who go there and pretty much the consesus is that everyone is just confused.  They understand what has happened, but they don't know what to do.  Penn State has literally gone from one of the most respectable colleges and football teams in the country to scum in 72 hours.  From what I have heard is that people just want things to change and many are almost denying that anything happened because it is just so hard to understand.  I think this is just a sad day for everyone around.  College football, Penn State, the Big Ten, Joe Pa, and most importantly the kids who were unrighteously ignored and harmed.
D

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:23:33 AM »
The students of Penn State still love him!

Here he is rallying the troops. Talking from a window following the accusations.

Are these students in denial. Is Jo Pa an institution himself?

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »
Having a player die from a drug overdose (said to be one-time use) and covering up a 60-something year old man raping 10 year old boys are two wildly different issues.

I get your point, but this may be so big and ugly the NCAA tries to help hush it up.

newmom

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
how convenient and his contract is up anyway...FUCK OFF

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Paterno became king and Penn State was his kingdom.  Problem is, he stayed about 20 years too long.  He had long since lost his direction.

I doubt he even understands what the fuck was going on.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:40 AM »
how convenient and his contract is up anyway...FUCK OFF

Exactly.  There was a good chance he was FINALLY going to retire, be forced out  or die after this season anyway.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:52 AM »
Having a player die from a drug overdose (said to be one-time use) and covering up a 60-something year old man raping 10 year old boys are two wildly different issues.

I get your point, but this may be so big and ugly the NCAA tries to help hush it up.

I don't get your point.  This is a national news story covered by every major newspaper and sports outlet in the country.  Short of building a time machine and going back into the past, how can it be hushed up? ???

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:29:24 AM »

I wonder how PennUCorp is gonna deal with their falling profit margins?

what:

• Getbig III
  • 2008 Mr. Getbig Premium Sponsor!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 07:30:13 AM »
Paterno became king and Penn State was his kingdom.  Problem is, he stayed about 20 years too long.  He had long since lost his direction.

I doubt he even understands what the fuck was going on.

Penn State grad here.  This is pretty much sums it up.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:07 AM »
He won't make it to the end of the season. 

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
Pedophilia is disgusting and needs to be eradicated from the earth. 

bike nut

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »
Bay - if PSU was more worried about their legacy and their agenda, what would make anyone think the NCAA wouldn't try to continue in the same vein?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »
I think Notorious BIG said it best.

F**K the state pen.... F**k hoes at Penn State.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 07:42:19 AM »
I wonder how PennUCorp is gonna deal with their falling profit margins?

I just checked.  They are already calling for Graham Spanier (Penn's President) to be fired.

As Students Call for President's Ouster, Insiders Say Board Told Spanier to Keep Silent
By Brad Wolverton

With hundreds of students chanting for his removal outside Pennsylvania State University's main administrative building here Tuesday night, and the national news media pounding away at the university's response to allegations of heinous sex-abuse crimes by a former coach, President Graham B. Spanier remained unusually silent. For the third straight day, one of higher education's most outspoken leaders had nothing to say.

That may not be his choice, two individuals close to the administration told The Chronicle on Tuesday. He is following strict orders from the university's Board of Trustees not to talk.

"It's tearing Graham up to sit by and watch everything he's done to build up this university over nearly 17 years—and see this individual's alleged acts tear away at it," said one of the sources, who asked not to be identified because of the board's policy.

Of particular concern to the president, this person said, are questions about how much he and others in the administration knew about allegations raised in 1998 and 2002 that a former Nittany Lions' defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, had sexually abused boys on university property. Mr. Sandusky, who was arrested Saturday on 40 criminal counts of child sex abuse, has maintained his innocence.

Mr. Spanier has told people close to him that the first time he heard about the 1998 allegations —which were investigated by Penn State's police department and other law-enforcement officials, but resulted in no arrest —was last month.

As for the 2002 conversation, in which a football graduate assistant reported seeing Mr. Sandusky sodomize a young boy in the football locker room's showers late one night, "Graham believes he never had any indication of any kind that a sexual assault occurred," the source said. "He doesn't know where the breakdown was."

Mr. Spanier, whose leadership has come under fire by the board, has appeared upbeat and positive in recent days, say those who have interacted with him. He's holding staff meetings, trying to keep people focused on university business, and even met with a job prospect Monday night.

"The board has some really big decisions to make this week," said the source. "We don't know what those decisions are going to be, but we're here to fight."

Late Tuesday night and into Wednesday, scores of white TV vans lined College Avenue, as camera lenses turned on a university campus distraught over four straight days of intense, negative media attention. Students flooded into the streets. They blocked traffic while chanting support for the longtime head football coach, Joe Paterno, as packs of police officers in riot gear stood on the corners.

Earlier in the night, fans held a raucous pep rally at Mr. Paterno's house—with the 84-year-old coach ambling out to lead cheers at one point. Then students turned up by the hundreds to remember the victims of the alleged sex crimes and to express their displeasure with the administration.

"Graham's gotta go! Graham's gotta go!" shouted students gathered outside Old Main, Penn State's grand administrative building, where Mr. Spanier has an office.

One of those students, 21-year-old Stephanie Sapol, said the president's silence was only causing people to doubt him more . . .

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 07:44:28 AM »
Let me preface by saying that I am a lifelong sports fan with college football being my second fav sport.

What is so sad and scary about the situation is that if he was in almost any other walk of life as a profession he would be gone right now and that is a key element of what allowed this sickening garbage to go on for so long.  Kids and parents allegations being ignored because a "legend" make a conscious decision to continually cover it up and sacrifice those kids for the "betterment" of their football program.  To hell with Paterno, and anybody else who knew of this and didn't do anything about it.  Sandusky should be shot in the gut and left in the desert.  Sicko pile of shit.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
Let me preface by saying that I am a lifelong sports fan with college football being my second fav sport.

What is so sad and scary about the situation is that if he was in almost any other walk of life as a profession he would be gone right now and that is a key element of what allowed this sickening garbage to go on for so long.  Kids and parents allegations being ignored because a "legend" make a conscious decision to continually cover it up and sacrifice those kids for the "betterment" of their football program.  To hell with Paterno, and anybody else who knew of this and didn't do anything about it.  Sandusky should be shot in the gut and left in the desert.  Sicko pile of shit.
Watch the video I posted. I just can't believe students are screaming "We love you Joe, We're proud of you"

When they don't know all the facts. Are they in denial? is his legend really "too big to fail"

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 07:51:35 AM »
Watch the video I posted. I just can't believe students are screaming "We love you Joe, We're proud of you"

When they don't know all the facts. Are they in denial? is his legend really "too big to fail"

I saw a clip of that on the news.  So delusional that just because he wasn't the one in the shower with the kids then he shouldn't be held responsible.  Anybody who defends him or this in anyway is a sack of shit or dumbass.  Pure and simple.

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/Presentment.pdf

For those of you interested, below is the link to the full grand jury report from their investigation into the Jerry Sandusky abuse case.  WARNING:  Graphic language

For all you Pennsylvania lawyers out there:  Does PA not have a specific reporting duty provision in the General Statutes that requires a witness of abuse to report it to the authorities?  I ask because there is such a provision here in other state statutes, in which case McQueary's and Paterno's failure to report would be a criminal failure to report had this occurred in those states.
D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
"Jerry Sandiski can molest a 10-year od.. but can't buy a running back a t-shirt".

- colin Cowherd