Author Topic: Golds Gym - "The Mecca", when it really was "The Mecca"  (Read 465726 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Golds Gym - "The Mecca", when it really was "The Mecca"
« Reply #1250 on: March 24, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
thanx Chaos and Wes.  i know there is a bunch of experts on this board that can tell what i'm on just by the taste of my sperm; but i'm not sending out any samples no matter how many pm's i get.
hahaa! I know who you're talking about, but I won't ruin a classic thread with that.

Serious Q, it seems like the older generation of bbers had alot more comradarie than the newer generation, like they were friends before competitors, do you think thats true?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1251 on: March 24, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »
hahaa! I know who you're talking about, but I won't ruin a classic thread with that.

Serious Q, it seems like the older generation of bbers had alot more comradarie than the newer generation, like they were friends before competitors, do you think thats true?

you know, i can't answer that.  i envy guys like Wes and Max that trained around the greats, but there really were no good bodybuilders around me when i was competing. i seriously got my drug and diet advice outta Muscle Mag and bill phillips books. i always fukked up my precontest and ended up looking like an idiot onstage.  i woulda loved to have trained in Venice or somewhere similar, but i was too scared to travel and fail.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1252 on: March 24, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
Wesley? Maxwell? Either care to answer the question?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #1253 on: March 24, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »
The camaraderie was awesome,everyone helped everyone else,pushed each other in the gym,spotted each other,encouraged each other to train harder,it was a good time and I see none of this in todays gyms at all.

Just a bunch of twinks on big blue balls doing stupid and dangerous exercises with light weight.

After training we`d all go out and eat,on the weekends we`d hit the beach or the clubs,visit a strange gym, and train.

Most of the gyms were populated by athletes,bodybuilders,arm wrestlers,Olympic weightlifters,powerlifters...............now they are filled with anyone right off the street and nobody knows jackshit about how to train.,and their all plugged into their headphones.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1254 on: March 24, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
lucky SOB!!  i think i coulda gone pretty far if my biggest worry wasn't if my gear was fake and gonna cause me absesses. (this was happening to everyone who used in my area as 90 % of the drugs in my area were fake)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1255 on: March 24, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
lucky SOB!!  i think i coulda gone pretty far if my biggest worry wasn't if my gear was fake and gonna cause me absesses. (this was happening to everyone who used in my area as 90 % of the drugs in my area were fake)
Great shot!!

I got an abcess when I lived in Florida............Winst rol V,I`ll never use that shit again.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1256 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »
Great shot!!

I got an abcess when I lived in Florida............Winst rol V,I`ll never use that shit again.

people were actually selling amour-all (sp) as winstrol, as it looked the same in the bottles. can you imagine injecting that? i know a few guys that did, lucky to be alive.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1257 on: March 24, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
people were actually selling amour-all (sp) as winstrol, as it looked the same in the bottles. can you imagine injecting that? i know a few guys that did, lucky to be alive.
That`s insane..........only a true asshole would sell a guy something that dangerous.

GEEZUS!  :(

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #1258 on: March 25, 2012, 02:14:19 AM »
Wesley? Maxwell? Either care to answer the question?

I don't know about being friends before we trained together. Most of us became friends while we trained. You know pushing each other you form friendships. I don't even understand what these people do today.

Hazbin... Jeez put me to shame my friend. I don't know why you say you were afraid because any of the guys would have loved to train with you and guide you... many of them would have taken advice from you.

Tim... c'mon man those are the obvious ones. I'll ad Dan Howard (I think) in the back row between Waller and Arnold.  
and keep moving!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1259 on: March 25, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
I don't know about being friends before we trained together. Most of us became friends while we trained. You know pushing each other you form friendships. I don't even understand what these people do today.

Hazbin... Jeez put me to shame my friend. I don't know why you say you were afraid because any of the guys would have loved to train with you and guide you... many of them would have taken advice from you.

Tim... c'mon man those are the obvious ones. I'll ad Dan Howard (I think) in the back row between Waller and Arnold.  
I`m good ain`t I ?  :D

That does look like Dan Howard..........good call David!  

Possibly Dale Adrian next to Kent Kuehn  ???

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1260 on: March 25, 2012, 05:05:39 AM »

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1261 on: March 25, 2012, 05:08:39 AM »

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1262 on: March 25, 2012, 05:13:03 AM »

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1263 on: March 25, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »

I guess that's what I'm asking, the friendships forged in the gym became bigger than just workout buddies. The good old days.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #1264 on: March 25, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
Man, you guys got it made. Imagine being able to sit around all day and admire pictures of men? Unfortunately for me I have a business to run. When The children started coming along I had to choose to be an adult. Lol...I'm lucky to get twenty minutes to myself to bang out a few sets on the weight bench in my basement. Lol.

Too bad.  No one put a gun to your head and told you to marry and have kids, but now you're stuck with that situation.  Having children does not make you an "adult" either.  If you had remained single and childless you would have a lot more time on your hands to do whatever you want.  Everyone makes their own choices in life and they have to face the consequences/ramifications of those choices.  Deal with it.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1265 on: March 25, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »
The camaraderie was awesome,everyone helped everyone else,pushed each other in the gym,spotted each other,encouraged each other to train harder,it was a good time and I see none of this in todays gyms at all.

Just a bunch of twinks on big blue balls doing stupid and dangerous exercises with light weight.

After training we`d all go out and eat,on the weekends we`d hit the beach or the clubs,visit a strange gym, and train.

Most of the gyms were populated by athletes,bodybuilders,arm wrestlers,Olympic weightlifters,powerlifters...............now they are filled with anyone right off the street and nobody knows jackshit about how to train.,and their all plugged into their headphones.

I still think you see many hardcore people at gyms. Yes, there are some "twinks" out there- maybe quite a bit more than the glory days, but there are still some very dedicated people out there

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1266 on: March 25, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »

Whatever happened to Jim Quinn?

I remember reading that some chiropractor screwed up his neck or something. Did he ever recover from that?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1267 on: March 25, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
I still think you see many hardcore people at gyms. Yes, there are some "twinks" out there- maybe quite a bit more than the glory days, but there are still some very dedicated people out there
I`m sure there are but not at my gym.........bunch of idiots for the most part, but I train at a gym on a college campus.........only gym in town.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #1268 on: March 25, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »
I guess that's what I'm asking, the friendships forged in the gym became bigger than just workout buddies. The good old days.

Very true Chaos. When I trained at Gold's Venice, Monday nights at Dinah's all you can eat chicken (Culver City) was like bodybuilding old home day... Roger Callard, Dave Dupree, Samir, Larry Jackson... there was a wait to get in and bodybuilders were all over the place even though it was fried chicken... who cared... it was cheap and it was protein, same with Swedish Inn Smörgåsbord in Weschester, CA. When I trained at Ray Mentzers Muscle Mill... Mike/Ray, Benny Podda and 4 or 5 of us would go to a local dinner afterward and have a late dinner while we listened to Mike and Ray's training advice. It was great. That's rare now.    

Wes... possibly Jacques Neuville on the far right (their left) in a print shirt. Leon Brown in the center in front of Franco. Yes that may be Dale Adrian but hard to tell. I think the guy in the center in front of Arnold was a Mr. Europe or Mr. Belgium but I don’t remember his name… maybe Serge Jacobs? I’m just not sure.

Great photo’s in this thread.
and keep moving!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #1269 on: March 25, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
Cool pic. Never seen it before.

Arnold
Katz
Waller
Birdsong
Dave Johns
Ed Guilianni
Franklyn Greene
Franco
Kent Kuehn
Richard Baldwin
Ed Corney

a

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1270 on: March 26, 2012, 04:11:47 AM »
This is Serge Jacobs sat down next to Arnie,could be him in the pic above.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1271 on: March 26, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1272 on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
 ;D