Author Topic: How much protein works well for you?  (Read 12351 times)

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
Re: How much protein works well for you?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
why pinapple juice overf grapfruit juice. grapfruits are more anabolic I believe

Pineapple juice cleanses your liver.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
Pineapple juice cleanses your liver.

gh15 doesn't mention it but the bromelain in pineapples id great at protein digestion along with many other benefits. And grapefuits are good but can interact with many medications and potentially do more harm than good.

Oly15

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

Doesn't this go against the whole "dont count calories or anything...eat when you're hungry, just take in a decent amount of protein and train and take steroids" thinking that goes on around here.

What is 'optimal'?

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »
Damn and you're friggin big. I've seen a pic of you and its hard to believe you can maintain your weight and muscle mass on that amount considering you're probably at least 240. You got any recent pics you posted up?

And when you are dieting for a contest how much protein do you aim for?

240?!?! LOL... i'm barely 215 lbs when i'm fat  ;D ... i compete at around 190 lbs or so, and the last contest i prepped for I was eating something like 200 grams of protein or so (maybe a bit more maybe a bit less... depends if i skip a meal or eat more in a meal)... 2-3 meals a day. now i'm eating far less (as said, 100-170 gr) and getting the same kinds of results. it's the drugs (aas+fat burners) that do it, not the protein  ;)

and here are some pics from around 2 months ago... haven't taken pics since then but i dropped a lot more fat (waist here was 35.5 and now it's 34)... weight was around 96 here, and now it's 93.5 kg

MrBigandCut

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »
240?!?! LOL... i'm barely 215 lbs when i'm fat  ;D ... i compete at around 190 lbs or so, and the last contest i prepped for I was eating something like 200 grams of protein or so (maybe a bit more maybe a bit less... depends if i skip a meal or eat more in a meal)... 2-3 meals a day. now i'm eating far less (as said, 100-170 gr) and getting the same kinds of results. it's the drugs (aas+fat burners) that do it, not the protein  ;)

and here are some pics from around 2 months ago... haven't taken pics since then but i dropped a lot more fat (waist here was 35.5 and now it's 34)... weight was around 96 here, and now it's 93.5 kg

how tall are you bro? ???

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2011, 03:26:21 AM »
5'7  :-X :-X

Stavios

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
Buselmo, have you ever been able to maintain the ''post contest'' fullness for a long time ?

I love feeling that pumped but it only lasts like.. 2 weeks  :-\

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
3rd week i start to get love handles back..................

Oly15

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
Looking good buselmo. In your avi at promus I think you had hair lol you def looked like 240. Anyway, definitely gunna try out the lower protein intake and see if I notice any difference. I'll up the carbs I suppose and keep the fat the same.

MrBigandCut

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
Just read a feature by Kai Green says his offseason diet is 700gms of protein a day and 260gms of carbs and 120gms of fats! Says he always has had at least 2gms of protein per ibs of bodyweight. So this guy has relatively low carbs and huge amonuts of protein offseason? Confusing ? ???

Oly15

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
I heard that too. When he was with Oscar he did that. I think since teaming up with Farah he has dropped it down. Tbh, whatever he was doing was just too much because it was contributing to a huge gut of his. But more likely was slin abuse.

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
Buselmo, have you ever been able to maintain the ''post contest'' fullness for a long time ?

I love feeling that pumped but it only lasts like.. 2 weeks  :-\

I don't have post contest fullness... i only have bloat... 3 days after the contest my weight is up 6-8 lbs and my waist is up atleast an inch... love handles grow back to where they were, and abs are all washed out and that's how i look like all year long  :'( ... if you want "fullness", you're gonna have to cut out your carbs on weekdays, and eat shit on weekends... that always worked for me (weekends here are thursdays and fridays), so on saturday, i'm big and full again but look a bit fat... sunday and monday i look my best, tuesday and wednesday flat as a pancake and so on.
you want pumped all day long for as long as you want? 12 iu GH 3 days per week, 30-45 iu slin (R) with the GH days in the same shot (15 iu with every 4 iu of gh shot), and 80-100 mg dbol.
when i did that, i shit you not, my arms were 19 inches, and my upper chest was pumped and popping out all the time (i don't have an upper chest... just bottom tits that look like gyno)... but i couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes straight cuz my back locks up and my hams would hurt
did that when i went to montreal with the wife... i had girls hitting on me and asking me for my phone number and facebook... LOL... needless to say, the wife wasn't happy and told me that i'm getting too big and it doesn't look pretty... LOL

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
when you think about how much protein is recommended (something like 1.5-2g per bodyweight) it's comes out to about ~400grams on average for most of us. just imagine how much actual meat that equals when there's roughly 40 grams of protein in 4 ounces of lean chicken meat and then imagine stapling that same 2 pounds worth of chicken breast you just imagined onto your quad, or your bicep as newly acquired muscle.

no one will ever put on 1 pound of muscle in 1 single day, let alone 2+ pounds worth of the amino acids recommended to consume. if you look at how much muscle people accumulate after years and years of lifting, when they are in dry contest condition, it's really not much extra muscle fiber, most of their added mass (especially on steroids) is from glycogen and water filling the muscle bellies and also a little bit of a pump effect. anybody who has been in keto before knows the feeling of being flat and looking like you lost half your muscle size, but we know logically it's just a state of being carb depleted - however this logic doesn't seem to carry over when it comes to fact that steroids inherently increase glycogen storage and water retention in the muscle (subsequently, ignoring this fact is what has driven the myth that lack of a "real pct" will result in muscle loss).

anyways, the numbers for protein recommendations are all over the place, in a book that i have that's written by alan aragon, he has various recommendations from various nutritionists with various studies supporting them. the numbers vary wilder, from 1gram per bodyweight to over 2 grams. why such discrepancy and inconsistency? because no one knows how much protein someone needs to intake before they start losing actual muscle fiber because there are so many variables for why muscle get's broken down.

also note a very, very important overlooked fact to these protein recommendations: they were all designed in mind for natural bodybuilders, who can go into a state of catabolism very easily, especially in a calorie deficit and the larger protein recommendations are consequently a result of the body shifting protein turnover from favoring protein accretion to protein degradation in stressful situations, and overfeeding protein is the futile solution to poorly combat this mechanism.

but when someone is on massive mounts of steroids, GH and insulin and their protein synthesis is through the rough, their protein degradation at minimal levels, their corticosteroids are suppressed - do they really need that much protein when their body is utilizing most of the protein for anabolism, and even if the body were to put on 0.1 pounds of muscle in a day (that's 0.7 pounds of dry, contest ready muscle fiber a week!) that's only 16 grams of protein a day to accomplish that. clearly, the protein requirements for most of us, considering the amount of PED's used, is highly excessive.

now, with all that being said and taking all that into consideration, i still eat about 300-400 grams of protein a day  ;D
there is nothing on this planet that tastes better than a perfectly medium-well prepared filet mignon, and protein is also the healthiest of all of the macronutrients so what the hell, why not? however, do i think if someone were to cut their protein intake in half, and instead spend the extra money on tren or hgh, would they get better gains and results? absolutely, especially considering just how expensive dietary protein is and most people overlook the monthly costs of their foodbills.

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
Looking good buselmo. In your avi at promus I think you had hair lol you def looked like 240. Anyway, definitely gunna try out the lower protein intake and see if I notice any difference. I'll up the carbs I suppose and keep the fat the same.

LOL!
weird... i'm supposed to be as bald as a turtle (thanks to my dad)... but i'm 30 now and my hair is the same as it was when i was 25 (when i started AAS)... it's stopped falling... weird... still looks like ass... sides grow thick and long and the top barely grows and is thin, with the monkey ass bald spot in the back... LOL

it was good to have hair way back when  :'( ... actually, losing the hair was one of the reasons why i started bodybuilding

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
when you think about how much protein is recommended (something like 1.5-2g per bodyweight) it's comes out to about ~400grams on average for most of us. just imagine how much actual meat that equals when there's roughly 40 grams of protein in 4 ounces of lean chicken meat and then imagine stapling that same 2 pounds worth of chicken breast you just imagined onto your quad, or your bicep as newly acquired muscle.

no one will ever put on 1 pound of muscle in 1 single day, let alone 2+ pounds worth of the amino acids recommended to consume. if you look at how much muscle people accumulate after years and years of lifting, when they are in dry contest condition, it's really not much extra muscle fiber, most of their added mass (especially on steroids) is from glycogen and water filling the muscle bellies and also a little bit of a pump effect. anybody who has been in keto before knows the feeling of being flat and looking like you lost half your muscle size, but we know logically it's just a state of being carb depleted - however this logic doesn't seem to carry over when it comes to fact that steroids inherently increase glycogen storage and water retention in the muscle (subsequently, ignoring this fact is what has driven the myth that lack of a "real pct" will result in muscle loss).

anyways, the numbers for protein recommendations are all over the place, in a book that i have that's written by alan aragon, he has various recommendations from various nutritionists with various studies supporting them. the numbers vary wilder, from 1gram per bodyweight to over 2 grams. why such discrepancy and inconsistency? because no one knows how much protein someone needs to intake before they start losing actual muscle fiber because there are so many variables for why muscle get's broken down.

also note a very, very important overlooked fact to these protein recommendations: they were all designed in mind for natural bodybuilders, who can go into a state of catabolism very easily, especially in a calorie deficit and the larger protein recommendations are consequently a result of the body shifting protein turnover from favoring protein accretion to protein degradation in stressful situations, and overfeeding protein is the futile solution to poorly combat this mechanism.

but when someone is on massive mounts of steroids, GH and insulin and their protein synthesis is through the rough, their protein degradation at minimal levels, their corticosteroids are suppressed - do they really need that much protein when their body is utilizing most of the protein for anabolism, and even if the body were to put on 0.1 pounds of muscle in a day (that's 0.7 pounds of dry, contest ready muscle fiber a week!) that's only 16 grams of protein a day to accomplish that. clearly, the protein requirements for most of us, considering the amount of PED's used, is highly excessive.

now, with all that being said and taking all that into consideration, i still eat about 300-400 grams of protein a day  ;D
there is nothing on this planet that tastes better than a perfectly medium-well prepared filet mignon, and protein is also the healthiest of all of the macronutrients so what the hell, why not? however, do i think if someone were to cut their protein intake in half, and instead spend the extra money on tren or hgh, would they get better gains and results? absolutely, especially considering just how expensive dietary protein is and most people overlook the monthly costs of their foodbills.

^^^this

Oly15

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
Good post aesthetic. And damn buselmo, crazy changes, hard to believe its the same person lol.

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
Good post aesthetic. And damn buselmo, crazy changes, hard to believe its the same person lol.

those pics are around 10 years apart now... crazy how i looked the same until 2007 (face wise)... then spending a year with drilling... i aged about 10 more years in the face...  :'(

SamsonD

• Getbig II
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2011, 09:13:16 PM »
I'm not at the level a lot of you guys may be at, but for me going from 220-245 this year I was eating about 200-250g protein per day.  I ate a lot of carbs though, probably like 500g a day or so, and 75-100g fat unless I had a cheat meal that day.
I'm one that doesn't map out a specific diet.  I end up force feeding myself and feel like shit and walk around bloated feeling.  So I eat when I'm hungry and try to get 40-60g from solid food or milk everytime I eat and fill up on carbs like potatoes, pasta, rice, or cocoa pebbles.  I usually get pizza for me and the fam once a week, and I'm a sucker for Hardee's and Wendy's burgers so I get at least one to three fast food meals a week too.  In between meals if I'm a little hungry or know I'm not going to be around food for a while I'll drink a whey shake with about 50g in it, and I take pre/intra and post protein and carbs supps.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »
gh15 doesn't mention it but the bromelain in pineapples id great at protein digestion along with many other benefits. And grapefuits are good but can interact with many medications and potentially do more harm than good.

this is the only benefit i see. although it may have antioxidant properties like many fruits. but i think gh15's claims about it helping the liver are completely unscientific and only his opinion/speculation. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Stavios

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
I don't have post contest fullness... i only have bloat... 3 days after the contest my weight is up 6-8 lbs and my waist is up atleast an inch... love handles grow back to where they were, and abs are all washed out and that's how i look like all year long  :'( ... if you want "fullness", you're gonna have to cut out your carbs on weekdays, and eat shit on weekends... that always worked for me (weekends here are thursdays and fridays), so on saturday, i'm big and full again but look a bit fat... sunday and monday i look my best, tuesday and wednesday flat as a pancake and so on.
you want pumped all day long for as long as you want? 12 iu GH 3 days per week, 30-45 iu slin (R) with the GH days in the same shot (15 iu with every 4 iu of gh shot), and 80-100 mg dbol.
when i did that, i shit you not, my arms were 19 inches, and my upper chest was pumped and popping out all the time (i don't have an upper chest... just bottom tits that look like gyno)... but i couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes straight cuz my back locks up and my hams would hurt
did that when i went to montreal with the wife... i had girls hitting on me and asking me for my phone number and facebook... LOL... needless to say, the wife wasn't happy and told me that i'm getting too big and it doesn't look pretty... LOL

thinking back, I remember the fullest I have been was when I used your "diet plan" last fall when I ate like you said, no carbs on weekdays and whatever I wanted on weekends

the fullness I had on saturday night was fucking awesome  8)
I remember going to the movies and everyone was staring at me while I was eating for 30$ of junk while watching the movie

I'll start back gh and slin soon, just letting the roids change my physique back to where it was 2 months ago before I had to go clean  :-X

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
this is the only benefit i see. although it may have antioxidant properties like many fruits. but i think gh15's claims about it helping the liver are completely unscientific and only his opinion/speculation. (correct me if i'm wrong)

I agree that it doesn't do shit for the liver. I am constantly battling a fatty liver (for a variety of reasons) and I LIVE on pineapple juice. I go through tons of it, and it never helped my liver in anyway. OTC liver supps did far more for my liver than pineapple juice.

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

according to milos 4 oz = 25 g protein.

i think what you're missing here is that protein is not just for muscle; it's considered the only building nutrient. and the body uses it to repair all sorts of bodily tissues. "whatever physiologic metabolic need."

NeilGM

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
1.5g per KILO (2.2lbs) is more than enough in most cases. Healthy muscle is made up of around 20-22% muscle protein (amino acids)  the rest is water, minerals, fibres etc. That means every 1kg (2.2lb) of muscle you add requires roughly 200-220g (7.1-7.8oz) of amino acids in the blood to directly create the tissue. Amino acids are used in other tasks such as  tissue repair, creation of new tissues else where and in making things such as hormones etc, anything other than the required amount to get the job done then l the body actually converts this into glucose (energy) theough a very taxing process. This process leaves behind ammonia which darkens the urine if in excessive ammounts. Many bodybuilders who over eat protein could make the same gains by dropping their protein intake and upping their carbs (each provide 4cal per gram). The only thing to add here is that the human digestion system does not absord 100% of everything, this can vary on individuals, drug use, health, age life style etc however once in the blood stream the human body is very efficient. I would actually say 30g a day over your maintenence levels would be more than enough if not on the excessive side.