Author Topic: Ole Anderson on Vince McMahon (2003):  (Read 18191 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Ole Anderson on Vince McMahon (2003):
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:32:44 AM »
It seems that being an asshole is just in Ole’s lifeblood, as evidenced in how he converses with the guy conducting this phone interview.
However, it’s interesting to listen to some of the accounts regarding the McMahon’s and NWA (+ other territories) during the period from about 1983-1986.

Of particular interest is Ole’s take on the role of cable television in killing off the territories, seeming to suggest that it would have happened with or without Vince Jr's involvement.
Ole points out that his GA program had “national” TV coverage before WWF, although I find it a little pompous to say that he could have done what Vince did just as easily.

IMO, Ole Anderson may have had the opportunity to make the initial moves that Vince did via the cable broadcasting expansion, but he lacked the vision to reach the levels Vince reached with his “MTV” product.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Ole Anderson on Vince McMahon (2003):
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
Interesting interview.

There are a lot of things wrestling fans debate, but I have found almost universal agreement about people's opionions of Ole Anderson. 

I'm not an "insider" like a lot of the guys here, so I never met Ole, but from what I've read from folks here and other wrestlers/referees, etc., Ole is destined to die as friendless as Wahoo McDaniel apparently did.
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
Interesting interview.

There are a lot of things wrestling fans debate, but I have found almost universal agreement about people's opionions of Ole Anderson. 

I'm not an "insider" like a lot of the guys here, so I never met Ole, but from what I've read from folks here and other wrestlers/referees, etc., Ole is destined to die as friendless as Wahoo McDaniel apparently did.

I don't know a whole lot about Wahoo, but there's one company that routinely asks past wrestlers they interview to do their "Ole-impersonation."
They began doing it after they noticed a recurring theme: they'd ask the wrestler about working for Ole, and the guy would invariably launch into a mock all on their own accord.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:50:44 AM »
In regards to Ole's WWE HOF induction with The Four Horsemen:

"Vince McMahon hates my guts, and I don’t like him. So that’s all there is to it. To be a part of that, anyone with a brain knows who the first Four Horsemen were. It was me and Arn and Ric and Tully Blanchard, and J.J. Dillon was the manager. So if they don’t know that, they don’t know anything about wrestling anyway. So what’s the difference? Vince McMahon is never going to call me. I hate his guts just like he hates mine. It’s no big deal."

source: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2012/jan/15/mooneyham-column-four-horsemen-back-saddle/

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
I'm surprised Ole hasnt found God as everyone seems to dislike him alot!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
I'm surprised Ole hasnt found God as everyone seems to dislike him alot!

And, he's sick/ill: two classic symptoms that lead people to sudden religion.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »

And, he's sick/ill: two classic symptoms that lead people to sudden religion.

He has MS, doesn't he?  I remember reading that he said he felt he would be better off dead. 
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
He has MS, doesn't he?  I remember reading that he said he felt he would be better off dead. 

Great outlook on life.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »

Great outlook on life.

I know what you mean...but I've known very vibrant people who, once they got really sick, lost the will to live.
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
I know what you mean...but I've known very vibrant people who, once they got really sick, lost the will to live.

Yeah.
Sometimes I think it also has to do with the people around you, too.
I wonder if Ole has anyone who takes care of, or at least checks in on him.
Does he have any family?

Sadly, the only thing I really do know about the man is that he was and is a prick to a lot of people.
In fact, I don't recall anyone ever saying anything good about him. :-\

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »

Yeah.
Sometimes I think it also has to do with the people around you, too.
I wonder if Ole has anyone who takes care of, or at least checks in on him.
Does he have any family?

Sadly, the only thing I really do know about the man is that he was and is a prick to a lot of people.
In fact, I don't recall anyone ever saying anything good about him. :-\

I'm sure that "Arn" doesn't count.  From what I understand, Ole is about as friendless as a certain member of GetBig is rumored to be.   :'(
~

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »
In regards to Ole's WWE HOF induction with The Four Horsemen:

"Vince McMahon hates my guts, and I don’t like him. So that’s all there is to it. To be a part of that, anyone with a brain knows who the first Four Horsemen were. It was me and Arn and Ric and Tully Blanchard, and J.J. Dillon was the manager. So if they don’t know that, they don’t know anything about wrestling anyway. So what’s the difference? Vince McMahon is never going to call me. I hate his guts just like he hates mine. It’s no big deal."

source: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2012/jan/15/mooneyham-column-four-horsemen-back-saddle/

BIG DEAL!! The 4th Horseman has always been a floating position. They may as well put a question mark or a shadow next to the pics of Blanchard, A. Anderson, and Flair (BTW, how does Flair get inducted TWICE in the HOF?).

- Windham was a Horseman;
- Luger was a Horseman;
- Does WWE realize they just put Chris Benoit in the HOF? He was a Horseman, too.
- Malenko was a Horseman;
- Psycho Sid was a Horseman;

Heck, I've lost count of how many Horseman there have been. Of course, it all revolves around RIC FLAIR. Without FLAIR, there is no Horsemen, just like there's no NWO without Hogan.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
BIG DEAL!! The 4th Horseman has always been a floating position. They may as well put a question mark or a shadow next to the pics of Blanchard, A. Anderson, and Flair (BTW, how does Flair get inducted TWICE in the HOF?).

Because he's twice as good as everyone else.  Whooooooooooooooo !!!!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »
Because he's twice as good as everyone else.  Whooooooooooooooo !!!!!!

So, if the NWO goes to the Hall of Fame, Hogan gets inducted TWICE.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
I just read this part of Ole's quote again:

Vince McMahon is never going to call me. I hate his guts just like he hates mine. It’s no big deal."

Obviously, it is a big deal or you wouldn't be talking about it this way, or so much.
And, I'm sure Vince has a lot of sleepless nights over you, Ole. ::)
You haven't been anything but a distant memory in wrestling for how many decades, now?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
So, if the NWO goes to the Hall of Fame, Hogan gets inducted TWICE.

nWo will and he will.....but Flair >>>>>>>> hogan   Whoooooooooooo !!!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
nWo will and he will.....but Flair >>>>>>>> hogan   Whoooooooooooo !!!!!

Not even close. Hogan went to WCW and completely ECLIPSED Flair (and that was before the NWO). He got a ticker-tape parade when WCW signed him. Did that happen when Flair went to the WWF? Nope!

Flair even said it himself. If you ask lot of people, not everyone will know who Ric Flair is. Ask them about Hulk Hogan and almost everyone will know who he is.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
Not even close. Hogan went to WCW and completely ECLIPSED Flair (and that was before the NWO). He got a ticker-tape parade when WCW signed him. Did that happen when Flair went to the WWF? Nope!

Flair even said it himself. If you ask lot of people, not everyone will know who Ric Flair is. Ask them about Hulk Hogan and almost everyone will know who he is.

Don't care one bit what a "lot of people" think.  They also think that Brittany Spears is superior to Etta James.  Yeah, that was a real "ticker tape parade" for Hogan....wasn't it held at Disney studios or some such nonsense?   ::) And Hogan was floundering in WCW before he jumped on the nWo nutsacks.  He forced his way into it when he saw it taking off.  Without that his tenure in WCW would have been long forgotten.

And besides all that Flair is soooooooooooooooooooooo far superior to hogan on the mic and in the ring, that I really don't care.  Hogan was a cartoon character and the only "fans" he had in the 80's were kids, teenage nerds and over 18 mentally handicapped individuals.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
They also think that Brittany Spears is superior to Etta James.  Yeah, that was a real "ticker tape parade" for Hogan....wasn't it held at Disney studios or some such nonsense?

Wow, you just triggered a random trivia flashback in my head!
The c. 1994 WCW shows were taped at one of the lots at Universal Studios.
The audience consisted of mostly tourists who were offered a chance to sit in on a live wrestling show. Most of them were not privy to angles, or even many of the characters, and they cheered and booed based on signs that were shown by the stagehands.

As for Hulkster, yes: he wasn't incredibly hot during his WCW transition.
Of course, neither was WCW programming, which had grown far from its Mid-Atlantic roots by that time.
Bischoff got the idea for the nWo from a Japanese promotion that had done something very similar, and it's been well-established that Luger was slated for the lead until Terry Hogan used his clout to bump the former Narcissist from that spot.
The rest is history.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
        I guess Ole Anderson has been a prick to many people, but I grew up on Georgia Championship Wrestling and still love the old school kayfabe and territory style.  If the business was still like that, I'd probably still watch it.  I respect Anderson for putting out a good product back then in the infantcy of cable television,  I grew up in Ashtabula, Ohio but was able to watch GCW on channel 19 the Superstation.

And to Vince McMahon for changing and then ruining the business, Kiss My Ashtabula !!! ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
Don't care one bit what a "lot of people" think.  They also think that Brittany Spears is superior to Etta James.  Yeah, that was a real "ticker tape parade" for Hogan....wasn't it held at Disney studios or some such nonsense?   ::) And Hogan was floundering in WCW before he jumped on the nWo nutsacks.  He forced his way into it when he saw it taking off.  Without that his tenure in WCW would have been long forgotten.

And besides all that Flair is soooooooooooooooooooooo far superior to hogan on the mic and in the ring, that I really don't care.  Hogan was a cartoon character and the only "fans" he had in the 80's were kids, teenage nerds and over 18 mentally handicapped individuals.

Hopped on the NWO nutsacks? What revisionist history are you watching? Hogan WAS the NWO. The whole concept of the NWO was ex-WWF guys taking over WCW. Hogan was the most logical choice. Without Hogan, the novelty of Hall and Nash jumping ship would have long worn off and there would have been no "Monday Night Wars".

Hogan not only dominated WWF; he came to WCW, RIC FLAIR'S TURF, and took over there. And that was BEFORE the formation of the NWO. Hogan's fans were in all age ranges and, when he came back to WWE, even as a heel, he got more cheers than The Rock, the biggest face in the company at that time.

Flair can't touch Hogan; even HE admitted that Hogan was a bigger star. He called Hogan the biggest star of all time, of course, until he got inducted in the HOF; then he said that Austin was. "I'm sick and tired of saying that it's Hogan; it ends today."

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
Hopped on the NWO nutsacks? What revisionist history are you watching? Hogan WAS the NWO. The whole concept of the NWO was ex-WWF guys taking over WCW. Hogan was the most logical choice. Without Hogan, the novelty of Hall and Nash jumping ship would have long worn off and there would have been no "Monday Night Wars".

Hogan not only dominated WWF; he came to WCW, RIC FLAIR'S TURF, and took over there. And that was BEFORE the formation of the NWO. Hogan's fans were in all age ranges and, when he came back to WWE, even as a heel, he got more cheers than The Rock, the biggest face in the company at that time.

Flair can't touch Hogan; even HE admitted that Hogan was a bigger star. He called Hogan the biggest star of all time, of course, until he got inducted in the HOF; then he said that Austin was. "I'm sick and tired of saying that it's Hogan; it ends today."

Wrong.  Hogan wasn't even the first choice to head the nWo, it was Luger.  Ask Monty. Yeah a stable of Hall, Nash, Perfect, Bret, etc... would have just tanked.  ::)

And thinking Hogan sustained a bigger reaction from the fans than when the Rock returned is laughable.  I'm not a Rock guy, but he was at least as big a deal returning and sustained a longer pop than Hogan.

Hogan is like Arnold......Flair is like DeNiro.  You prefer comic books and I prefer War and Peace.....  Hogan is the biggest draw ever, but Flair is the greatest wrester ever.

It's like saying that some American Idol winner is a better musician because they sold more albums than someone less known, but who put out far superior music.

One closing thought, Flair could put over a broomstick in a match, Hogan could take another star and turn them into a broomstick.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
After the Disney parade hoopla, Hulk more and more frequently became the recipient of lukewarm receptions throughout much of 1995 and on into ‘96. When the nWo angle began, the original idea was to reveal Luger as the third member and leader. During this same time, Hogan recognized that he needed to do something to revive his character, and when he saw how hot Hall & Nash were becoming, he used his political power to scoop Lex’s spot.

Hogan may have become synonymous with the nWo, but it was never formed with the intention of him being a key player in it.
As for Luger, I doubt he would have been as effective in the role. He had an unimpressive track record on the heels of his WWF run; his last big push being the “Lex Express,” which fizzled fast.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
After the Disney parade hoopla, Hulk more and more frequently became the recipient of lukewarm receptions throughout much of 1995 and on into ‘96. When the nWo angle began, the original idea was to reveal Luger as the third member and leader. During this same time, Hogan recognized that he needed to do something to revive his character, and when he saw how hot Hall & Nash were becoming, he used his political power to scoop Lex’s spot.

Hogan may have become synonymous with the nWo, but it was never formed with the intention of him being a key player in it.
As for Luger, I doubt he would have been as effective in the role. He had an unimpressive track record on the heels of his WWF run; his last big push being the “Lex Express,” which fizzled fast.

But, but Hogan was "tearing it up!"  ;D

I think Perfect would have been the "perfect" choice to head up the nWo.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
But, but Hogan was "tearing it up!"  ;D

I think Perfect would have been the "perfect" choice to head up the nWo.

I think Hulk Bollea did tear it up for the first couple of months because fans were so damned excited that wrestling's biggest name joined their company, which also made it huge news in the wrestling world. But, by then, Hogan's act was old and had become a paradigm.
That's why Hulk, personally, made the decision to cast himself as the nWo leader.

I'd have LOVED to see Hennig head the group. Had they booked it properly, I think Curt would have been a fantastic choice; although, that contingence was highly unlikely.
I had some hope when it looked like he'd become a Horseman, but what did they do?
They put him in that stupid "West Texas Redneck" gang.