Author Topic: Ole Anderson on Vince McMahon (2003):  (Read 18340 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Re: Ole Anderson on Vince McMahon (2003):
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

Sometime around '86/'87, Vince tried out a bodybuilder/strongman from Manitoba named Tom Magee.
Physically, Tom looked outstanding, but although Stu Hart trained him for a few months, you'd have never known it.
He wasn't very good in the ring.

The old man was said to have creamed his pants (figuratively...I think) at the sight of Magee, and a couple of guys have gone on record saying that Hogan was more than a little nervous over the prospect of his potential/likely "replacement."
They fed him some skilled jobbers, including Bret, but Magee just never worked out.
I mean, he was athletic and worked very hard, but maybe he just didn't have any aptitude for the ring.
Not everyone does.

No it was defiinitely the 83/84 time frame when Hogan beat the Sheik.......I will have to do somne research.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
No it was defiinitely the 83/84 time frame when Hogan beat the Sheik.......I will have to do somne research.

Hmm...
You've got me there, man.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »

Are you talking about Paul Orndorff? 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
One thing I always found humorous was that when Vince was "stealing" talent from all of the other territories, he pretty much made them all the same promise: that he had big plans for them, they would work big money programs, be the top draw of the territory, etc.

There were a lot of guys who got pissed off when reality manifested, but they stuck around because Vince paid better simply because he drew more.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »
One thing I always found humorous was that when Vince was "stealing" talent from all of the other territories, he pretty much made them all the same promise: that he had big plans for them, they would work big money programs, be the top draw of the territory, etc.

There were a lot of guys who got pissed off when reality manifested, but they stuck around because Vince paid better simply because he drew more.

And they had ZERO drawing power in other feds after being a rooster, clown, etc.... and jobbing to Hogan for 150 straight house shows and Saturday Nights Main Event.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »

Reminds me of what used to go on in college football back in the old days...all the "negative" recruiting.  Big schools recruiting good athletes that they had zero intentions of actually using, just to keep them from signing with a rival.  They don't do that nowadays since there are strict scholarship limits.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »
Reminds me of what used to go on in college football back in the old days...all the "negative" recruiting.  Big schools recruiting good athletes that they had zero intentions of actually using, just to keep them from signing with a rival.  They don't do that nowadays since there are strict scholarship limits.

Now they just sign as many guys as possible, but cut them loose right before they have to file the paperwork for scholarships.  Read an article on that issue last year.  Doesn't give the guys time to find other schools.  and its perfectly legal by the NCAA.  Sad.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2012, 05:57:47 AM »

Funny as I am reading Piper's book right now, and that one of Vince's tactics to penetrate another territory was to hold a benefit show for a fallen wrestler. What was the territory's promoter going to say....it was a benefit show. Also that alot of these guys were wrestling without contracts and one week before WM 1, Vince approached Hot Rod with a contract and said "sign it" or you won't be in Wrestlemania.
Also said that he felt he had alot more drawing power than Hogan and that people did not watch WM to see Hogan and Mr T but rather to see Roddy get his ass kicked as he had soo much heat. All a matter of opinion.

Also it may have been Orndorff as the original chosen one...I have to research..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »
Funny as I am reading Piper's book right now, and that one of Vince's tactics to penetrate another territory was to hold a benefit show for a fallen wrestler. What was the territory's promoter going to say....it was a benefit show. Also that alot of these guys were wrestling without contracts and one week before WM 1, Vince approached Hot Rod with a contract and said "sign it" or you won't be in Wrestlemania.
Also said that he felt he had alot more drawing power than Hogan and that people did not watch WM to see Hogan and Mr T but rather to see Roddy get his ass kicked as he had soo much heat. All a matter of opinion.

I may have touched upon this in another thread, but...
I like Roddy.
I think Roddy's done a lot of drugs.
I think drugs have fried part of Roddy's brain, and I don't put a whole lot of credibility in what he says - especially as many of his "arguments" about even opinion-based matters like who drew Mania are thin at best.

My buddy saw Piper at the 2005 WWE HOF; said he walked around in sunglasses the whole time and acted stoned out of his mind.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
Now they just sign as many guys as possible, but cut them loose right before they have to file the paperwork for scholarships.  Read an article on that issue last year.  Doesn't give the guys time to find other schools.  and its perfectly legal by the NCAA.  Sad.

That's even worse...at least in the old days the kid got a four year ride.

One more reason that I don't have a major problem with football players leaving early, transferring, etc.  That "loyalty" thing is a two-way street.
~