Author Topic: Pete Grymkowski "I took 10 000 mgs per day back in the 70's"  (Read 77328 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: Pete Grymkowski "I took 10 000 mgs per day back in the 70's"
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »

It is hard to believe. 9 of them, Wes, for christ sake ! That's insane !!! Buuuuuuuuut .... Pete G. was WIDELY known to be an insane kind of guy. What most people here might not know is Pete G. was known for his recreational use as well. So add that to his 10,000 mg's of juice !! That's why my mind is blown right now. This fucker is still alive ! Hahahahaha !!! Wow !!

Pete’s recreational use was limited (as far as I know) to marijuana but he really, really likes to indulge all the time. I went over to his house in Apple Valley a few years ago hadn’t seen him in years and within the first half hour he cracked out his stash and lit up. I don’t smoke it anymore but my business partner and Pete got pretty buzzed.

The one person here who would be able to shed some light on Pete’s actual dosages would be Max Rep as he knew him well and also trained with him.

You are partially correct Tim. I knew Pete well and in Rochester we were both key-carrying members of a small private gym in a dungeon of an old, old, old building. Pete sold me my first cycle. I never trained with him but saw part of his workouts. He always talked about massive dosages but never actual amounts. He said stuff like “3 shots a day” of Primabolin Acetate (from Germany) which was about 100 mg/cc. and came in 1 cc vials as I remember. Even at 3 cc’s per shot that would only be 900 mg a day. For orals he liked Anavar and regularly took an entire bottle in from of people. At 2.5 mg per tablet that would be 250 mg per sitting so let’s assume 3 bottles per day. I think we’re up to 750 mg in  orals plus 900 mg worth of injectable drugs. That’s 1,650 in a day. I don’t see how he could quintuple that. Maybe it’s true.

The thing about Pete is he loves to be a shock jock. I think the bottle of Anavar was to shock people. In those days you could bust a bottle out in public and no one really cared. Pete is a total a blast to be around and he had even more charisma and natural business sense than any MBA I’ve ever met. Yet never went to college. Incredible entrepreneur      
and keep moving!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:11 AM »
Maxrep,

Thanks for the above post

Where did pete initially come across money , how did he become wealthy?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2012, 02:04:20 AM »
I thought it was all steak and whole eggs?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »
I thought it was all steak and whole eggs?
it's not???  :'(

qbkilla

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2012, 03:39:18 AM »
u mean danta rack deads and some ps200102 peptide from ergo will not get me big?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »
Pete’s recreational use was limited (as far as I know) to marijuana but he really, really likes to indulge all the time. I went over to his house in Apple Valley a few years ago hadn’t seen him in years and within the first half hour he cracked out his stash and lit up. I don’t smoke it anymore but my business partner and Pete got pretty buzzed.

You are partially correct Tim. I knew Pete well and in Rochester we were both key-carrying members of a small private gym in a dungeon of an old, old, old building. Pete sold me my first cycle. I never trained with him but saw part of his workouts. He always talked about massive dosages but never actual amounts. He said stuff like “3 shots a day” of Primabolin Acetate (from Germany) which was about 100 mg/cc. and came in 1 cc vials as I remember. Even at 3 cc’s per shot that would only be 900 mg a day. For orals he liked Anavar and regularly took an entire bottle in from of people. At 2.5 mg per tablet that would be 250 mg per sitting so let’s assume 3 bottles per day. I think we’re up to 750 mg in  orals plus 900 mg worth of injectable drugs. That’s 1,650 in a day. I don’t see how he could quintuple that. Maybe it’s true.

The thing about Pete is he loves to be a shock jock. I think the bottle of Anavar was to shock people. In those days you could bust a bottle out in public and no one really cared. Pete is a total a blast to be around and he had even more charisma and natural business sense than any MBA I’ve ever met. Yet never went to college. Incredible entrepreneur      

wasn't his family in the construction business?
F

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
 He should be a lot bigger for this amount of sauce. But seriously, taking several grams of sauce a day, every day, is not possible for more than a few weeks. I don't care who you are, your liver would collapse after a few weeks at the most on these amounts. He is clearly exaggerating on the doses to boost ratings.

The reason why the guys from the 1970s were smaller is lack of insulin and overtraining. These guys would do 2 training sessions a day for 3 hours each with tons of sets. This is why most of them competed at around 220 lbs despite all the drugs, since they were constantly destroying their muscles through excessive exercise.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
^^
One of the smartest, most learned comments EVER posted by anyone!!!  Props SUCKMYMUSCLE!!!!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
Does he outline the compounds and specific dosages in interview?
^^
YES, and I did listen, you can fast-forward until half-way into the radio show, he's on from then onward- fascinating stuff!!!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
In before Coach comes on and says most of the guys back then were pretty clean ::)
^^
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »

^^

MAX, did Pete use very heavy weights for his 100 sets-per-workout sessions, and can you verify IF this is true... MIDNIGHT to 7am workout followed by (his words) going to the fast-food restaurant where his girlfriend gave him 12 burgers, then he slept under the Santa Monica peer???

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 09:17:31 AM »
In before Coach comes on and says most of the guys back then were pretty clean ::)

Not everyone was Pete Grymkowski ::)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »

He should be a lot bigger for this amount of sauce. But seriously, taking several grams of sauce a day, every day, is not possible for more than a few weeks. I don't care who you are, your liver would collapse after a few weeks at the most on these amounts. He is clearly exaggerating on the doses to boost ratings.

The reason why the guys from the 1970s were smaller is lack of insulin and overtraining. These guys would do 2 training sessions a day for 3 hours each with tons of sets. This is why most of them competed at around 220 lbs despite all the drugs, since they were constantly destroying their muscles through excessive exercise.

The year Jim Morris won the AAU America he was 215 or 220. At that contest Pete was 255 and no one was even close in size at the time. Pete did not like heavy androgens like D-bol and no one used test back then… we didn’t even know it existed until around 1982-3. Over-trained yes.

Maxrep,

Where did pete initially come across money, how did he become wealthy?

When he was back east, he bounced at a club but had a thriving clientele for gear. 

wasn't his family in the construction business?

Yeah, ‘family’ business. They manufactured cement shoes. Pete had some ‘connections’ but I don’t think they ran deep because once he bought Gold’s (51% 0wner of corporate Gold’s from 1979 to 2000) there was no one looking for a cut.

He shared with me that the major money Pete, Tim and Ed made from Gold’s was from the T-shirt sales. One year they were #2 in their category. Harley Davidson was #1. Remember, they had David Lee Roth, Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone all wearing Gold’s T-Shirts so of course everyone wanted one. 

MAX, did Pete use very heavy weights for his 100 sets-per-workout sessions, and can you verify IF this is true... MIDNIGHT to 7am workout followed by (his words) going to the fast-food restaurant where his girlfriend gave him 12 burgers, then he slept under the Santa Monica peer???

I’ve heard him talk about the 100 set workouts, the MIDNIGHT to 7 am workouts etc for years but I wasn’t in the gym at the time so I cannot verify it. I saw him using some pretty heavy weights a few times (315 for 6-7 reps on the incline, BNP with 275 for reps) but I don’t know if the 100 set workouts where all heavy weights.

I’ve never seen ANYONE be able to eat as much food as Pete. Usually good food too. He was lean when I saw him last and I mean probably 30 inch waist down to 180. He ordered Chinese delivery but clean stuff. Rice, fish, beef... he PILED his plate 3 times and ate more than myself, my business partner and his 25 year old wife combined AND he was still eating when were all done. I think the guy has hollow legs.

Pete had a design for a crude seated leg press machine that he sold for a while. When he went to Florida to train with Arthur Jones, Casey and Sergio he told Arthur that they didn’t need the cam on the Nautilus machines to accomplish the variable resistance. All he needed was an off-center balance arm. That was the basis of Pete’s leg press. He was right of course but Nautilus had already taken off and Arthur had already put a lot of print behind the Nautilus shaped cam.

When Arthur’s son Gary Jones started Hammer Strength he employed Pete’s idea of the off-center balance arm and one of his first machines was a seated leg press that was a much nicer looking version of Pete’s. I know for fact that Pete talked about this off-center balance arm long before Hammer ever came out.

and keep moving!

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »

thanks for this post.

goes to show you the body is more resiliant to high doses over a prolonged period than most people would think.
b

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
The year Jim Morris won the AAU America he was 215 or 220. At that contest Pete was 255 and no one was even close in size at the time. Pete did not like heavy androgens like D-bol and no one used test back then… we didn’t even know it existed until around 1982-3. Over-trained yes.

When he was back east, he bounced at a club but had a thriving clientele for gear. 

Yeah, ‘family’ business. They manufactured cement shoes. Pete had some ‘connections’ but I don’t think they ran deep because once he bought Gold’s (51% 0wner of corporate Gold’s from 1979 to 2000) there was no one looking for a cut.

He shared with me that the major money Pete, Tim and Ed made from Gold’s was from the T-shirt sales. One year they were #2 in their category. Harley Davidson was #1. Remember, they had David Lee Roth, Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone all wearing Gold’s T-Shirts so of course everyone wanted one. 

I’ve heard him talk about the 100 set workouts, the MIDNIGHT to 7 am workouts etc for years but I wasn’t in the gym at the time so I cannot verify it. I saw him using some pretty heavy weights a few times (315 for 6-7 reps on the incline, BNP with 275 for reps) but I don’t know if the 100 set workouts where all heavy weights.

I’ve never seen ANYONE be able to eat as much food as Pete. Usually good food too. He was lean when I saw him last and I mean probably 30 inch waist down to 180. He ordered Chinese delivery but clean stuff. Rice, fish, beef... he PILED his plate 3 times and ate more than myself, my business partner and his 25 year old wife combined AND he was still eating when were all done. I think the guy has hollow legs.

Pete had a design for a crude seated leg press machine that he sold for a while. When he went to Florida to train with Arthur Jones, Casey and Sergio he told Arthur that they didn’t need the cam on the Nautilus machines to accomplish the variable resistance. All he needed was an off-center balance arm. That was the basis of Pete’s leg press. He was right of course but Nautilus had already taken off and Arthur had already put a lot of print behind the Nautilus shaped cam.

When Arthur’s son Gary Jones started Hammer Strength he employed Pete’s idea of the off-center balance arm and one of his first machines was a seated leg press that was a much nicer looking version of Pete’s. I know for fact that Pete talked about this off-center balance arm long before Hammer ever came out.

Cool stuff man.
Good info. Interesting to see bodybuilders of old actually were successful and used their brains. Lol.
Makes todays crop seem like a group of drug addled deadbeats, lol.

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
it was prop underdoses and bunk shit, no wonder he needed 70,000mg/weekly

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
So he's saying he used Test, but Max Rep (and many others form back that era) say test wasn't even that popular back then?

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
blown up from "within"

Schmoe Buster

• Getbig V
  • Unnatural Bodybuilder
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
So he's saying he used Test, but Max Rep (and many others form back that era) say test wasn't even that popular back then?

It wasnt popular but it was around, the bread and butter was Dbol and Deca for the bodybuilder, Test was mostly used by power lifters and Pete said in the interview he learned from powerlifters
Thunderdome approved

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
Not everyone was Pete Grymkowski ::)

Just playing Coach

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »
This guy Pete is a prime example of what GH15 has been saying. Steroids won't give you 3D look. And they will only get you "so" big. Its the GH that brings it all to a whole new level.

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
that people are actually surprised... lol...
steroids were legal back then.... all pharm grade....
cheap, readily available...
what would you do if you were around that time??? ABUSE the fuck out of them.... i know i would... lol...
guys of that era were bodybuilders just like we are.... sickminded narcists.... lol...
Be Happy,
Optimus

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
I laugh at some of the posters who earlier said that Grymkowski was small.......255 fairly lean during the 70`s without a 40 pound gut is hardly fucking small.

Thanks for sharing all that info David.......good stuff as usual bud!  ;)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »
It wasnt popular but it was around, the bread and butter was Dbol and Deca for the bodybuilder, Test was mostly used by power lifters and Pete said in the interview he learned from powerlifters
Also a lot of anavar and winstrol tabs were used back in the day before test became popular.........(early 80`s ).

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »

Yeah, Test was huge in Powerlifting, Track and Field, and Football at the time.

As to the rest, no way I believe the number, I could believe 10 grams a week of stuff, but not 10 grams a day. He's playing the "how much bullshit can I get these guys to believe?" game.  

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »
that people are actually surprised... lol...
steroids were legal back then.... all pharm grade....
cheap, readily available...
what would you do if you were around that time??? ABUSE the fuck out of them.... i know i would... lol...
guys of that era were bodybuilders just like we are.... sickminded narcists.... lol...

No, you probably wouldn't have in those days. Why? Because not much was known about steroids and long term useage.

Everyone was afraid of side-effects.....like acne, baldness and maybe even cancer. That is what the doctors warned and we took that seriously.

That doesn't mean that some of the muscleheads experimented and took heaps more than recommended. Most used

for a while then went off. It was very conservative in the old days. Eventually, dosages were increased when guys

survived the drugs. Heck, only the insiders knew much about the darn chemicals. Yes, there were a few 'steroid'

doctors who gave prescriptions and supervised the bodybuilders but there was some shame associated with using

drugs as it was considered unnatural and cheating. Sort of wiped out any prestige of winning a big title.