Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 84606 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: Netflix
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
Ever see that movie Limitless?  Yeah, it's like that!  ;D

Just got Neflix for my appletv for the movie downfall. A few gripes, such as some new movies aren't available(tried to watch Inglorious Basterds and it wasn't available) also it charged me to rent Patton, but for $8 a month, I'll live with it. Shit, that's two beers at a bar.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
Netflix sucks. I cant seem them turning this around.

If you believe that then I challenge you go come up with a better service.  Reed Hastings thought Blockbuster "sucked" and created Netlfix from scratch as an alternative.  The company now has more than 20 million monthly subscribers.

I think you're confusing two types of markets... For instance,myself... I don't usually watch old movies... If I do, then I probably have bought it. I generally can't find anything on Netflix streaming that I give a damn about.

Typically, the Redbox model, where I would get a new release movie and watch it maybe once a week, that's where it's at.

Actually, I rent more movies from my appleTV lately than anything.

Instantly watch the latest release without having to leave my living room? Yeah, I'm good with that... Even if it costs a couple of extra bucks.

If that is true then you are the one who is confused.  You signed up for a service that never pretended to offer what you apparently wanted (the latest releases via streaming).  Why would you do that?  Ah, yes, you were confused.  :-\

If Netflix had to cancel streaming and simply offer DVDs via mail I would still be perfectly happy with it.  In fact, they offer that exact option of 2 DVDs at a time unlimited for $11.99 a month.  A value that cannot be beat when one considers what it costs to go to the cinema.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
The way their dvd system is setup, i almost always cheaper to just hit up red box tho.
Exactly.  They also get new movies 1000x quicker as well.  Netflix doesn't have a very good selection.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
If you believe that then I challenge you go come up with a better service.  Reed Hastings thought Blockbuster "sucked" and created Netlfix from scratch as an alternative.  The company now has more than 20 million monthly subscribers.

If that is true then you are the one who is confused.  You signed up for a service that never pretended to offer what you apparently wanted (the latest releases via streaming).  Why would you do that?  Ah, yes, you were confused.  :-\

If Netflix had to cancel streaming and simply offer DVDs via mail I would still be perfectly happy with it.  In fact, they offer that exact option of 2 DVDs at a time unlimited for $11.99 a month.  A value that cannot be beat when one considers what it costs to go to the cinema.

No... You are confused... Again.

I was with Netflix before streaming... When streaming was added, it was an add on, so obviously I wouldn't worry about it.

When they split streaming from the DVD/Blu-Ray mail service, Apple's iTunes had already been released and subsequently, DOES stream (for a fee) the latest releases.

So when the services were split, I cancelled and simply use iTunes to watch new things if I'm so inclined.

Apparently you do not recall the History or the past few years as far as the technological advancements of NUMEROUS services.

Netflix streaming just doesn't hold any value... Hence why I CANCELLED when they split them.

I was not confused... You seem to be revising history of the service.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
If you believe that then I challenge you go come up with a better service.  Reed Hastings thought Blockbuster "sucked" and created Netlfix from scratch as an alternative.  The company now has more than 20 million monthly subscribers.

If that is true then you are the one who is confused.  You signed up for a service that never pretended to offer what you apparently wanted (the latest releases via streaming).  Why would you do that?  Ah, yes, you were confused.  :-\

I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch streaming, which is the main reason I wanted it. There are other services now that are close to the same thing - A couple that will stream and/or download straight to my blu-ray player. Cant think of the names right off my head, haven't gone after them yet. (Kind of a low priority while Im a broke college student).

Anyway, most of the people I know dropped Netflix because
A.They have a terrible streaming selection, and

B.They didnt want to deal with the several day process that it takes to recieve/return DVDs by mail, especially with the new technology available practically making by-mail DVD's obsolete.

But yes, you are correct about how cheap it is for the by-mail service. You wont get any of the newer tech companies that cheap, at least I haven't heard of it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch streaming, which is the main reason I wanted it. There are other services now that are close to the same thing - A couple that will stream and/or download straight to my blu-ray player. Cant think of the names right off my head, haven't gone after them yet. (Kind of a low priority while Im a broke college student).

Anyway, most of the people I know dropped Netflix because
A.They have a terrible streaming selection, and

B.They didnt want to deal with the several day process that it takes to recieve/return DVDs by mail, especially with the new technology available practically making by-mail DVD's obsolete.

But yes, you are correct about how cheap it is for the by-mail service. You wont get any of the newer tech companies that cheap, at least I haven't heard of it.

That is exactly the point I am making.  The movie studios want you to pay more--a lot more--for the latest releases.  And if you buy/stream them one at a time you are paying more.  I don't need the latest releases; if i did I would have gone to see them in the cinema.  I can wait the extra 2-3 months for that latest release to show up on DVD and have it delivered to me for the same little fee Netflix charges. 8)

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
Netflix streaming sucks no new movies. If a movie has sequels the first movie is not available for streaming. I'll stuck with iTunes and blockbuster.

I agree, All old stuff on the streaming. It's more for old sitcoms. Once and awhile if you search for 20 min you can find a rare gem

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
With Icahn move, Netflix is now officially in play
The streaming-video company's shares jump 15 percent on news that Carl Icahn has taken a significant stake in Netflix. The financier and former corporate raider once was a major shareholder in Blockbuster.

Shares of Netflix jumped sharply after an SEC filing disclosed that financier and former corporate raider Carl Icahn has taken a nearly ten percent stake in the streaming-video and DVD rental company.

The filing notes that Icahn Capital LP, an investment firm controlled by Icahn, and associated entities bought 5.54 million shares of stock in the company, plus call options, for $168.9 million. In remarks filed with the announcement, the group suggests Netflix is undervalued.

The disclosure of Icahn's investment comes just days after rumors that Microsoft might also be sniffing around Netflix. Unconfirmed rumors on Friday suggested that the Redmond, Wash., software giant might be prepared to offer $90 a share in an acquisition bid. Those reports appeared to fuel a 13 percent rise in Netflix shares that day...

Shares of Netflix were trading at $80 this afternoon, up $10 or 15 percent. A Netflix spokesman declined to comment.

So, those rumors about Microsoft having an interest in acquiring Netflix seem to have a little more relevance thanks to that line from the filing about how Icahn believes "Netflix may hold significant strategic value...for larger companies."

Now, throw in the fact that Netflix CEO Reed Hastings resigned recently from Microsoft's board and you have a lot of smoke. Hastings has said that he left Microsoft's board to devote more time to Netflix, but he's still on the boards of several other companies, including Facebook. Why would he give up Microsoft and not another seat on some other company?

Icahn is no stranger to the online video rental market or Netflix. He was a major stockholder and board member of Blockbuster, the country's once dominant video-rental chain store. In this capacity, he played an important role in helping to guide Blockbuster during it's doomed competition against Netflix.

Blockbuster's brick-and-mortar stores were done in by Netflix's DVD home-delivery business and it filed for bankruptcy protection in 2010. Icahn's history as an investor is full of high-profile proxy fights and tussles with management. In recent years, he has fashioned himself as an investor activist.

At Blockuster, Icahn warred with John Antioco, that company's former CEO, until Antioco resigned amid an effort to build up Blockbuster's own Web video delivery business that was making gains against Netflix, according to the book "Netflixed," by author Gina Keating.

Icahn supported the hiring of Jim Keyes to replace Antioco and he promptly threw the company's resources back into the stores, a strategy that likely hastened the company's demise. If Icahn isn't trying to make a quick buck on a Netflix sale, then it's likely he's going to want to influence management decisions at the company.
In addition to Microsoft, rumors over the years about potential Netflix acquirers have included Amazon, Yahoo, and Apple.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Bump won't last... Hope he's happy with throwing his cash away.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Netflix wins rights to show Disney movies shortly after theatrical runs, trumping pay TV
By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, December 4, 1:17 PM

SAN FRANCISCO — Netflix’s video subscription service has trumped pay-TV channels and grabbed the rights to show Disney movies shortly after they finish their runs in theaters.

The multiyear licensing agreement announced Tuesday represents a breakthrough for Netflix as it tries to add more recent movies to a popular service that streams video over high-speed Internet connections.

Netflix will have exclusive U.S. rights to offer the first-run movies through its streaming service during the period normally reserved for premium TV network such as HBO, Starz and Showtime. That period starts about seven months after movies leave theaters. The exclusivity does not extend to DVDs, a service Netflix is trying to phase out.

Investors applauded Netflix’s coup, lifting the company’s stock by $8.86, or nearly 12 percent, to $84.86 in afternoon trading.

It’s the first time that one of Hollywood’s major studios has sold the coveted rights to Netflix Inc. instead of a premium TV network. DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. licensed the pay-TV rights to its movies to Netflix last year under a deal that begins in 2013, but those movies don’t wield the same box-office appeal as Disney, whose stable includes Pixar Animation and Marvel.

Starz currently holds the rights to The Walt Disney Co.’s movies under a deal that expires in 2015. Beginning in 2016, Netflix will get the movies instead. Direct-to-video movies will come to Netflix sooner, as will older movies such as “Dumbo” and “Alice in Wonderland.”

In Tuesday’s news release, the Los-Gatos, Calif.-based Netflix didn’t disclose how much it is paying Disney.

The Disney deal gives Netflix a measure of revenge against Starz, which had been demanding a price that Netflix refused to pay when their licensing agreement expired earlier this year. The Starz rights had included Disney movies, so losing that access had been seen as a blow to Netflix.

The stock price of Liberty Media Corp., Starz’ owner, dropped $7.08, or 6.4 percent, to $103.97 in afternoon trading. Shares of Disney, which is based in Burbank, Calif., lost 3 cents to $49.26.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »
I will say it again, for the price, it's worth it to me.  I can get new releases from redbox, but there are a lot of cool things on Netflix.  You just keep tumbling down the rabbit hole.  I watched a film the other day, and it had a suggestion of a program about the Ottoman Empire, which was cool because I just finished a book on that subject.  It needs to be used as an ancillary form of tv, not your primary source of movies.

lulu

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:38 AM »
I will say it again, for the price, it's worth it to me.  I can get new releases from redbox, but there are a lot of cool things on Netflix.  You just keep tumbling down the rabbit hole.  I watched a film the other day, and it had a suggestion of a program about the Ottoman Empire, which was cool because I just finished a book on that subject.  It needs to be used as an ancillary form of tv, not your primary source of movies.

I agree

Purge_WTF

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »
 I'm thinking of selling the stock before year's end. A family member browsed E-Trade's site and said that she read something about any sales being tax-free if they're made before 2013. Besides, the days of Netflix shares being worth 300 a pop are long gone.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
My pal says many titles are dropping from the netflix availability list.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
Bay seemed to call this one.

I don't see it as worth the 189 dollars a share it is, but it keeps climbing.

I wonder if it's institutional investors or what, but it hasn't shown much slowdown since we talked about it months ago.

Good call Bay.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »

I wonder if it's institutional investors or what, but it hasn't shown much slowdown since we talked about it months ago.

Good call Bay.

x2.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
They will continue to drop... You might say it's a buy, but you are going against all analysts when you do that... Everyone is saying sell.

If you buy now, you are wasting money.

It's now below 60... Lost 20 dollars since the closing bell yesterday.

"Everyone is saying sell"?  Sigh.  You still don't get it do you?

If you want to waste your money do what everyone else is doing.  If you want to triple your money.... do the opposite.  Sure there is risk involved.  It wouldn't be any fun otherwise. ;)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
"Everyone is saying sell"?  Sigh.  You still don't get it do you?

If you want to waste your money do what everyone else is doing.  If you want to triple your money.... do the opposite.  Sure there is risk involved.  It wouldn't be any fun otherwise. ;)

If you say so...

Why would you post up that post from July?

To prove I said the same thing then... Yes... myself and probably 50 other investors.

I'm proud of you for buying so much netflix stock... You've done well with it.

I don't see why you feel it necessary to question my investments though... They don't affect you do they?

Purge_WTF

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
Dumped all of my shares in January when the stock was up 40 points and got $137K back.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Dumped all of my shares in January when the stock was up 40 points and got $137K back.

Excellent... Glad to hear you made some bank on it.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
Excellent... Glad to hear you made some bank on it.

Thanks. Good thing, too--I need a new car like a mofo.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »

Good call Bay.

Since you posted this message on March 29, 2013 (when Netflix was trading at $189) it has gone up more than 100%.  On December 23 it hit $380; it has since come down to $330.  I am still a happy Netflix customer but if you own the stock I would sell it right now, as I expect it to deflate in the quarters ahead.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
Since you posted this message on March 29, 2013 (when Netflix was trading at $189) it has gone up more than 100%.  On December 23 it hit $380; it has since come down to $330.  I am still a happy Netflix customer but if you own the stock I would sell it right now, as I expect it to deflate in the quarters ahead.
Welcome back Bay.

I assume you'll be gone for several more months and pop back in randomly?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
Welcome back Bay.

I assume you'll be gone for several more months and pop back in randomly?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »
they just added the last 4 seasons of Dexter :)