Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 84661 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: Netflix
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2014, 05:29:10 AM »
How much is your cable bill per month?   'nuff said.  :-X
I could not survive on just a streaming service for my tv needs. I am also a huge sports fan. You can't get content like that on Netflix.

Besides, my internet is bundled with my cable, so obviously it will be more expensive.

I'm sure Netflix is fine (as an add on) but in no way does it replace regular t.v.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2014, 05:48:01 AM »
I could not survive on just a streaming service for my tv needs. I am also a huge sports fan. You can't get content like that on Netflix.

Besides, my internet is bundled with my cable, so obviously it will be more expensive.

I'm sure Netflix is fine (as an add on) but in no way does it replace regular t.v.

Sports will always require a live feed. Maybe if all of the sports organizations had a streaming live service it would work.

I love ESPNs coverage of college football on the watch ESPN app.

It still required having a cable provider to access the content.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
You don't have a cable bill?

I use my appletv for Hulu, but still have a cable bill.

Wouldn't want to go without my 80Mb fios. (75 really, but tests are always over 80)

I do not.  But if you visit the Comcast website for example the Digital Starter package for cable TV alone is $44.99/mo for the first 12 months.  Presumably the cost goes up considerably after that.  Other TV options start as high as @$99.99 again for the first 12 months after which it goes up up up!  For movies Netflix is still the best value by far; plans start as low as $7.99/mo.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
I do not.  But if you visit the Comcast website for example the Digital Starter package for cable TV alone is $44.99/mo for the first 12 months.  Presumably the cost goes up considerably after that.  Other TV options start as high as @$99.99 again for the first 12 months after which it goes up up up!  For movies Netflix is still the best value by far; plans start as low as $7.99/mo.

Who is your ISP?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
It boggles my mind at how much Netflix stock is worth. Like many people have said already, the selection is average at best.

So they get dibs on Crouching Tiger? Who cares.

They sign Sandler to a 4 film deal? Who cares. I always thought that he was wildy overrated.

I would advise people who still own Netfix stock to sell now. This is as good as it is gonna get.

I'll keep that in mind.  ::)
A

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »
Search for a film you can't find and report back. Pretty sure they regained access to their old catalogue, which offers just about anything you can think of.

Here are classics in just one genre they don't have:
E.T.
Star Wars
Aliens
Blade Runner
The Matrix(unavailable to stream, but they have it on DVD)
2001: A Space Odyssey (unavailable to stream, but they have it on DVD)
A Clockwork Orange (unavailable to stream)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (unavailable to stream) - and they have none of the original movies
Ghostbusters

And keeping it bodybuilding-related, they don't have The Terminator! (only on DVD)

There's certainly a long list of popular movies in many genres they don't have.

I said it once, I'll say it again. Their selection sucks. However, I do have it (mainly for my kids). I'll probably dump it soon. We all end up watching more on TV.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
E.T.
Star Wars
Aliens
Blade Runner
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (unavailable to stream) - and they have none of the original movies
Ghostbusters

And keeping it bodybuilding-related, they don't have The Terminator! (only on DVD)

I said it once, I'll say it again. Their selection sucks. However, I do have it (mainly for my kids). I'll probably dump it soon. We all end up watching more on TV.

All of those films are available on Netflix via DVD.  The plan for 1 disk at a time is $7.99/month.  2 at a time is $11.99/month.  Both of those plans are cheaper than the price of just one movie ticket.  How much would it cost to take your family to the movies?  $30? $40? $50?

I repeat: there is no better value for watching movies than Netflix.

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2014, 06:55:27 AM »
DVDs ... through the mail?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »
DVDs ... through the mail?

Actually, millions of people still have time for that.  If you wanted to see the movie right away, you would have seen it in theaters at $10-$15 a pop.  When I go to my mailbox the first thing I open is my Netflix envelope.  Bills, not so much.

With the DVD I can watch it on any TV in the house or on my home office iMac.  Best of all: if i like it, I can rip it for later repeated viewings.   8)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
E.T.
Star Wars
Aliens
Blade Runner
Ghostbusters

Not sure how "only on DVD" refutes my point, but I am surprised that some of those others aren't available at all. Streaming would be ideal, sure, but the DVDs show up in a day or two, I'm fine with that.

Edit: Just searched them on Netflix; EVERY one you mentioned is available.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »
Not sure how "only on DVD" refutes my point, but I am surprised that some of those others aren't available at all. Streaming would be ideal, sure, but the DVDs show up in a day or two, I'm fine with that.

Edit: Just searched them on Netflix; EVERY one you mentioned is available.

Told ya!  ;)

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
Why isn't an ancient title like Terminator available for streaming?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2014, 04:33:39 AM »
Why isn't an ancient title like Terminator available for streaming?

Because the studio that owns the film does not want to make it available for streaming.  There are often a variety of reasons behind this decision, but it any case it is not a Netflix decision.  Studios can change their minds and often do.  Streaming rights for films are given for specific titles and for a specific window of time; typically 3-5 years.  After that time, the film may disappear from the streaming catalog. 

btw, is there anyone who wants to see Terminator who has not already done so? ???

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
OK, so old movies are available on DVD. I get it.

What about new releases? They hardly have anything new on streaming. Are those all on DVD, too?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2014, 04:10:14 AM »
OK, so old movies are available on DVD. I get it.

What about new releases? They hardly have anything new on streaming. Are those all on DVD, too?

Netflix has been around since 1997; their business model is old news: with very few exceptions if it is on DVD Netflix has it.  If you want to watch a "new release" go see it in theaters and pay $10-$15 at a time.  As I have said before, Netflix became a huge and successful company because they offer multiple DVDs by mail at a very low price with no late fees.  The streaming catalog is merely icing on the cake.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
This is a nice option, but I don't think it will have huge numbers.  The last thing most people want is yet another subscription service they have to pay for in perpetuity.  I will pass.  :(

Watch out, HBO: CBS launches standalone Web TV service
CBS fires up its own digital subscription service called All Access for $5.99 a month, offering the ability to stream local CBS stations live in 14 big US markets plus a library of its shows.
by Joan E. Solsman

CBS said Thursday it is launching a digital subscription video service that includes live streaming and video on demand.

The announcement marks the latest in a string of developments shoring up the concept of Internet-based TV as a growing competitor to traditional television. On Wednesday, HBO unveiled plans to launch a standalone service next year that will let people watch programming purely online without subscribing to any pay-TV provider, and companies including Verizon, Dish and Sony are aiming to fire up online-only multichannel video services this year or next.

The service, called CBS All Access, is priced at $5.99 a month and is untethered to any pay-TV subscription. It will offer thousands of episodes from the current season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in 14 of the largest US markets at launch, the company said.

Although broadcast rival ABC, owned by Disney, was the first out of the gate in providing a live-streaming feed of its programming in certain markets, it stuck to the TV industry's favored format of offering the service only to people who already subscribed to a pay-TV like cable or satellite. CBS breaks from that mold, allowing anyone to sign up for the new offering.

The riskiness of breaking a digital video service out of the normal pay-TV system is lower for a broadcast network like CBS than it is for a cable channel like HBO. Though almost all traditional TV is watched via a pay-TV subscription like cable or satellite today, broadcast networks were -- and still are -- free for anyone to watch over public airwaves.

Still, it's a bold move for CBS, which is perhaps best-known in the Internet TV world for being an opponent rather than a cheerleader. CBS was an outspoken adversary against Aereo, the startup that streamed over-the-air TV signals to its paid subscribers without handing royalty or carriage fees back to license holders like CBS. Broadcast television companies including CBS sued Aereo, and the Supreme Court ruled this year that the service was essentially illegal in its current form. The case was sent back to a lower court, where it is still pending.

But CBS has been innovative with digital platforms in other ways. A deal with Amazon last year licensed episodes of the CBS summer series "Under the Dome" to the e-commerce giant five days after they were broadcast, a partnership the companies extended this year and expanded to the Halle Berry sci-fi thriller "Extant."

On Thursday, Jim Lanzone, president and CEO of CBS Interactive, said that the company has integrated the CBS All Access service into existing offerings like CBS.com and the CBS app and that All Access will come to all major digital platforms - including additional connected devices -- in the coming months

"Our focus is to develop the best cross-platform video experience possible," Lanzone said in a statement. "CBS All Access delivers on that promise by giving our audience not only more CBS content but also more ways to watch."

CBS All Access will have full current seasons of 15 prime-time shows with episodes available the day after they air, in addition to live-streaming of 14 local stations. It will also have full past seasons of eight current series like "The Good Wife," "Blue Bloods" and "Survivor" and a library of more than 5,000 episodes of CBS classic programs like "Star Trek" and "Twin Peaks," and the several series belonging to the "CSI" franchise.

Classic shows will be ad-free. The more current content will include commercials, and live-streams will have the advertising that is already programmed into the broadcast itself.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
Netflix Stock Getting Absolutely Hammered
by Tom Huddleston, Jr.

Shares of Netflix NFLX -18.91% have plunged after its quarterly earnings Wednesday in which the streaming service said it added fewer new members than expected. Netflix released a third-quarter financial report showing that the company has grown to 53.1 million total members worldwide, but the addition of 3.02 million subscribers in the third quarter fell below the company’s previous prediction of 3.69 million.

Despite the poorly received subscriber statistics, Netflix hit Wall Street’s revenue estimates in the third quarter by bringing in $1.4 billion. The company also reported profits of $59.3 million, or 96 cents a share, up from $48.4 million in last year’s third quarter. However, Netflix is only predicting earnings of 44 cents per share for the current quarter, which is far below the 91 cents per share that analysts had predicted, according to Bloomberg.

The disappointing subscriber totals knocked more than $115, or 26%, off each Netflix share to erase all of the company’s gains for the year.

Investors continue to be concerned about Netflix’s ability to hit membership growth goals after the company raised prices for new members by $1 earlier this year. Earlier this year, the company said it had topped 50 million streaming subscribers. At the time, the company added a better-than-expected 1.7 million members.

In a letter to shareholders, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells blamed the third-quarter’s poor membership growth on this year’s price hike while adding that the effects were likely not felt in the second quarter because of “the large positive reception” to the second season of the popular Netflix original television show Orange is the New Black.

“As best we can tell, the primary cause is the slightly higher prices we now have compared to a year ago. Slightly higher prices result in slightly less growth, other things being equal, and this is manifested more clearly in higher adoption markets such as the U.S.,” the Netflix executives wrote in a letter to shareholders.

In the U.S., specifically, the number of net new subscribers dropped to 1 million last quarter from 1.3 million during the same period last year. Netflix says it sill expects to add another 4 million new members in the fourth quarter, including 1.85 million in the U.S. and another 2.15 million overseas. Coming into Wednesday, the company’s stock had risen more than 20% on the year and had recently been buoyed by Netflix’s launch in six new European countries, led by France and Germany.

Hours before Netflix released its latest financial report, Time Warner TWX 5.01% and HBO announced that the latter’s online streaming service, HBO Go, will be offered as a standalone option starting next year – something cord-cutters everywhere have been clamoring for in recent years. The move was immediately seen as a threat to rival streaming sites such as Hulu and Netflix, with the latter countering later in the day with its own news that Netflix will start streaming all 10 seasons of Friends, starting in January.

Netflix has said before that it views HBO as its biggest competitor down the road, with Hastings and Wells writing to shareholders that the standalone HBO Go service did not come as a big surprise. “It was inevitable and sensible that they would eventually offer their service as a standalone application. Many people will subscribe to both Netflix and HBO since we have different shows, so we think it is likely we both prosper as consumers move to Internet TV,” the executives wrote.

Netflix has also been rumored to be in the running for streaming rights to Seinfeld, another iconic television program that would help the company better compete with its streaming rivals. Netflix has also been busy trying to woo new subscribers by bolstering its roster of original programming, which already includes popular and critically-acclaimed programs such as OITNB and House of Cards. Netflix recently signed a deal with Adam Sandler to produce and star in four films for the company, which also has plans to produce a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. And, in June, Netflix signed a deal with comedian Chelsea Handler to produce multiple stand-up specials for the site as well as a new online talk show.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
Netflix Stock Getting Absolutely Hammered
by Tom Huddleston, Jr.

Shares of Netflix NFLX -18.91% have plunged after its quarterly earnings Wednesday in which the streaming service said it added fewer new members than expected. Netflix released a third-quarter financial report showing that the company has grown to 53.1 million total members worldwide, but the addition of 3.02 million subscribers in the third quarter fell below the company’s previous prediction of 3.69 million.

Despite the poorly received subscriber statistics, Netflix hit Wall Street’s revenue estimates in the third quarter by bringing in $1.4 billion. The company also reported profits of $59.3 million, or 96 cents a share, up from $48.4 million in last year’s third quarter. However, Netflix is only predicting earnings of 44 cents per share for the current quarter, which is far below the 91 cents per share that analysts had predicted, according to Bloomberg.

The disappointing subscriber totals knocked more than $115, or 26%, off each Netflix share to erase all of the company’s gains for the year.

Investors continue to be concerned about Netflix’s ability to hit membership growth goals after the company raised prices for new members by $1 earlier this year. Earlier this year, the company said it had topped 50 million streaming subscribers. At the time, the company added a better-than-expected 1.7 million members.

In a letter to shareholders, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells blamed the third-quarter’s poor membership growth on this year’s price hike while adding that the effects were likely not felt in the second quarter because of “the large positive reception” to the second season of the popular Netflix original television show Orange is the New Black.

“As best we can tell, the primary cause is the slightly higher prices we now have compared to a year ago. Slightly higher prices result in slightly less growth, other things being equal, and this is manifested more clearly in higher adoption markets such as the U.S.,” the Netflix executives wrote in a letter to shareholders.

In the U.S., specifically, the number of net new subscribers dropped to 1 million last quarter from 1.3 million during the same period last year. Netflix says it sill expects to add another 4 million new members in the fourth quarter, including 1.85 million in the U.S. and another 2.15 million overseas. Coming into Wednesday, the company’s stock had risen more than 20% on the year and had recently been buoyed by Netflix’s launch in six new European countries, led by France and Germany.

Hours before Netflix released its latest financial report, Time Warner TWX 5.01% and HBO announced that the latter’s online streaming service, HBO Go, will be offered as a standalone option starting next year – something cord-cutters everywhere have been clamoring for in recent years. The move was immediately seen as a threat to rival streaming sites such as Hulu and Netflix, with the latter countering later in the day with its own news that Netflix will start streaming all 10 seasons of Friends, starting in January.

Netflix has said before that it views HBO as its biggest competitor down the road, with Hastings and Wells writing to shareholders that the standalone HBO Go service did not come as a big surprise. “It was inevitable and sensible that they would eventually offer their service as a standalone application. Many people will subscribe to both Netflix and HBO since we have different shows, so we think it is likely we both prosper as consumers move to Internet TV,” the executives wrote.

Netflix has also been rumored to be in the running for streaming rights to Seinfeld, another iconic television program that would help the company better compete with its streaming rivals. Netflix has also been busy trying to woo new subscribers by bolstering its roster of original programming, which already includes popular and critically-acclaimed programs such as OITNB and House of Cards. Netflix recently signed a deal with Adam Sandler to produce and star in four films for the company, which also has plans to produce a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. And, in June, Netflix signed a deal with comedian Chelsea Handler to produce multiple stand-up specials for the site as well as a new online talk show.
I told you guys to sell a few weeks back! That was as good as it was going to get.

Dump it!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
between youtube, netflix, and amazon video i honestly cannot recall the last time i actually watched cable TV except putting cartoon network on to entertain my dog while i'm out.

wait, yes i can. breaking bad. that was it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
between youtube, netflix, and amazon video i honestly cannot recall the last time i actually watched cable TV except putting cartoon network on to entertain my dog while i'm out.

wait, yes i can. breaking bad. that was it.

I don't even have cable TV anymore. Though I do piggy back on my family's cable service that let's me "watch" cable TV from any computer.  https://www.watchtveverywhere.com
Once you log in you can choose from any of these channels streamed to your computer or internet connected tv.  ;)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Netflixhey
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
Netflix has been around since 1997; their business model is old news: with very few exceptions if it is on DVD Netflix has it.  If you want to watch a "new release" go see it in theaters and pay $10-$15 at a time.  As I have said before, Netflix became a huge and successful company because they offer multiple DVDs by mail at a very low price with no late fees.  The streaming catalog is merely icing on the cake.

Bay, I remember several years back something happened with their DVD catalogue rights. Do you recall? They no longer carried even many of the most popular films, so I quit. Later, I searched through my girlfriend's account and all was well again.

Remember any of this?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
Bay, I remember several years back something happened with their DVD catalogue rights. Do you recall? They no longer carried even many of the most popular films, so I quit. Later, I searched through my girlfriend's account and all was well again.

Remember any of this?

I have no memory of that.  Perhaps you are confusing the DVD catalog with the streaming catalog; the latter has gone through some ups and downs.  If you are certain it was the DVD catalog it should be easy for you to find several stories about it online.  Link?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
I have no memory of that.  Perhaps you are confusing the DVD catalog with the streaming catalog; the latter has gone through some ups and downs.  If you are certain it was the DVD catalog it should be easy for you to find several stories about it online.  Link?

I'll Google it. Guess I could have simply screwed up my searching parameters back when.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »
HBO streaming comes out soon?  ???

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »
I don't even have cable TV anymore. Though I do piggy back on my family's cable service that let's me "watch" cable TV from any computer.  https://www.watchtveverywhere.com
Once you log in you can choose from any of these channels streamed to your computer or internet connected tv.  ;)

haha my parents offered to let me use their directv account. don't even care, i follow SO little actual television i literally do not need the access.

$200/mo just so i can watch a small handful of shows and events that i could get for a fraction of it online. no thanks.