Author Topic: Can gay people go to heaven?  (Read 7255 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Can gay people go to heaven?
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:24 AM »
no I don't

I think fundies of all religions have a form of mental illness

that's very different than simply believing in god

You have gone on record posting that you think anyone who believes in God has a mental illness.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »
You have gone on record posting that you think anyone who believes in God has a mental illness.

your memory is not correct

I have never said merely believing in God is a mental illness

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Can gay people go to heaven?  

I pose this question in a historical context: it used to be a commonly held belief in the United States that only white people could go to heaven.  Blacks, Native Americans, and others went somewhere else—not necessarily to hell, but definitely not to heaven.  Given the hostility to gay marriage and the unwelcome climate of most churches in the U.S. to gays and lesbians, I wonder if many churchgoers today believe that gays and lesbians can go to heaven.

Yes.

Never heard of the commonly held belief in the US that only whites would go to heaven.  But that belief is not Biblical.  According to the Bible, those who accept Christ as Savior will go to heaven.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »
That was a widely held belief in the USA and people in the church (parishioners and church leaders) were not shy about articulating it.  In fact, even the intellectuals throughout the 19th century used the Bible specifically to justify slavery.  Many biblical scholars in early America interpreted the Pentateuch as identify blacks as condemned to slavery and morally inferior to whites.

The Old Testament articulates many things as sin that people today embrace as normative including everything from eating certain foods to premarital sex.  Would you deny those things are sins?  The Old Testament also endorses many things that today we outlaw such as polygamy.  So should people of faith live by the Old Testament or not?  Finally, the New Testament (which is the basis for Christianity) does not condemn gay and lesbian unions at all.  If the NT does not identify homosexuality as a sin why should Christians find it objectionable?  If Christians today are being guided by the OT why do they reject things like polygamy and embrace lifestyle choices the OT specifically condemns such as fornication?

If "biblical scholars" of any time period believed that blacks are morally inferior to whites and somehow indicate that that comes from the Bible they are wrong.  The Bible states no such thing.  That's their own mistake/prejudice.

And Bay, I think you are confusing Mosaic Law w/Moral Law.  Moral Law we should try to follow/keep...but Mosaic Law was to "set Israel apart." 

Avoiding certain foods (and clothing w/diff materials as someone stated in this thread) were part of Mosaic Law...premarital sex would be in the Moral Law arena.

As far as I know Polygamy was never "approved" as a way of life, but people did engage in it.

And yes, homosexuality is referred to as sinful in the NT as well as the OT but Bay, even if homosexuality wasn't a sin, anyone that has told a lie has sinned and that puts them in need of a Savior anyway.  If you read the Bible you will see it states that we all need a Savior.  Everyone. 
R