Author Topic: Deadlifts are not the best back exercise  (Read 18374 times)

jakesonyou

• Getbig III
Deadlifts are not the best back exercise
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
Deadlifts are a good mass builder that works many parts of the body, including lower back.

the superior back exercise however are barbell rows.

hope this helps.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
Re: Deadlifts are not the best back exercise
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

Agreed.

Nothing can match barbell rows !!

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
Deadlifts are a good mass builder that works many parts of the body, including lower back.

hope this helps.

WOW! An exercise that moves the upper back in an eccentric and concentric contraction through a large range of motion is a better mass builder than an exercise where the upper back is held statically? Incredible, what other training insights do you have?

POTA

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »
Maybe 1 out of every 20 people you see working out back at the gym does barbell rows. It's pathetic. I do barbell rows on my heavy, thickness back workout and on my width, separation, mostly machine-oriented back workout. For overall thickness and development, I think both deadlifts and barbell rows are essential. The exclusion of either I think is why so many pros and gym rats have mediocre or downright shitty backs.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
Maybe 1 out of every 20 people you see working out back at the gym does barbell rows. It's pathetic. I do barbell rows on my heavy, thickness back workout and on my width, separation, mostly machine-oriented back workout. For overall thickness and development, I think both deadlifts and barbell rows are essential. The exclusion of either I think is why so many pros and gym rats have mediocre or downright shitty backs.

I love barbell rows but also love T-Bars.
and keep moving!

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »

if you dont think deads are the best back building exercise going, then you've never done 1/4 deads in a power rack with the pins set just at knee level.
b

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
For me DL targets mostly hamstring, glutes, spinal erector & traps...lats not as much.
I believe it's still a beneficial excercise for BB, so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

For back I could get by with Pull ups/chins BB rows and DL that's really all I do for back anyway...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:22 PM »
I love Barbell rows.. you just have to be careful that the weight is just right and you do them 100% correct. When i did work and train in a Gym i only ever saw people doing machine rows(Hammer strength) or rows on (life fitness machines). A few did one arm Dumbbell rows and that was it. No one ever did Barbell rows and Deadlifts i only ever saw one guy doing it and i had to correct him before he fucked up his back. I love doing Deads and Barbell rows, after them my back is solid. One arm rows i do too but i do not rest my knee on a bench i just rest one hand on my weight bench at a slight incline(i get a better motion and handle more weight).

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:49:57 PM »
The best back exercise is wide grip pull-ups! ;)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:05 PM »
Best 3 excercises for back:

1. Deadlift
2. Barbell rows (not shitty range of motion type, bent over at about 100 degrees with your head up)
3. T bar rows (heavy as you can but with head up and back tight)

GettingBig

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »
I stopped doing deadlifts few years go when I felt my lower back didnt like it much.

I didnit again the past few months and my traps never looked full and big like now.

Rows are my favorite too.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 01:28:15 AM »
For me DL targets mostly hamstring, glutes, spinal erector & traps...lats not as much.
I believe it's still a beneficial excercise for BB, so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

For back I could get by with Pull ups/chins BB rows and DL that's really all I do for back anyway...

That's you? Really great back and conditioning. Of course this post gets the Getbig disclaimer... no homo.
and keep moving!

Jovo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig !
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 01:37:49 AM »
like it matters what exercise you do ::)

as long as you stimulate the muscle and have enough drugs in you it grows, oh big deal you did bent over rows and not some hammer strength machina ::) ::) ::) u think that's what makes you a bodybuilder ?

good back exercises are those which active the back mucles, so any form of row,pull over,reverse fly,chin/pull ups

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:20 AM »
barbell rows hurt my lowerback even more than deadlifts. Never got much growth out of them. Uncomfortable on the wrists, shoulders and lower back.
Boundary Breaker

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:02 AM »
Tbars rule, then Deads..... 8)

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »
Tbars rule, then Deads..... 8)

chest supported T-bar = king of kings.  ;)
Boundary Breaker

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:06:57 AM »
chest supported T-bar = king of kings.  ;)
Nah sissy, bar in corner, crushing the plaster !!

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:05 AM »
farmers walk =)
X

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 05:14:29 AM »

::)  Not to be a dick, but thats so bro-science sounding.  No exercise is for 'separation'......also, the lats are used in every movement that the upper arm is brought into extension and adduction.  Granted they become more involved with various pulldown movements, but if anyone thinks that the lats are not involved in rows....sadly mistaken.

Its mind numbing when you watch the videos where some 'guru' is saying "We are working on doing (blank) to bring out more quality muscle and shape the muscle here at XX weeks out" 

Power

• Getbig III
  • Move along
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »
Best 3 excercises for back:

1. Deadlift
2. Barbell rows (not shitty range of motion type, bent over at about 100 degrees with your head up)
3. T bar rows (heavy as you can but with head up and back tight)

How many degrees?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »
::)  Not to be a dick, but that's so prescience sounding.  No exercise is for 'separation'......also, the lats are used in every movement that the upper arm is brought into extension and ad duction.  Granted they become more involved with various pulldown movements, but if anyone thinks that the lats are not involved in rows....sadly mistaken.

Its mind numbing when you watch the videos where some 'guru' is saying "We are working on doing (blank) to bring out more quality muscle and shape the muscle here at XX weeks out" 

This is why Basic moves will never be replaced because you will never build muscle without them. I think that Barbell rows are a better lat builder than chins. It's like a lot of people say ..width..chins. true to an extent but with Barbell rows(with the correct grip and hand width) you can build mass and width.

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:32 AM »

hope this helps.

True.. i prefer T-bar rows, i feel i can "safely" do heavier on T-bar rows than BB Rows

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 05:31:02 AM »
i do dl the day after my back training day.

so my lats and upper body aregenerally sore, i can feel my lat working during the first part,then traps are working for the lockout.

dl works the back on a static way, that's all.

dl are good for general mass and strenght.
i remember a group of guy speaking about dl grip in a bus in san francisco.
i joined the debat.
one of them told me "you look like a guy who do dl"
asstropin

Stavios

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »

you look great man

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »
Hurt my back years ago doing heavy hacks.................wa s training for several contests and my back was acting up so I threw in lying barbell rows..............lie on a high bench and row.

Takes legs and any heaving out of the exercise.........really a great movement,give them a shot.