Author Topic: Deadlifts are not the best back exercise  (Read 18310 times)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Re: Deadlifts are not the best back exercise
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41:49 AM »
squats... deadlifts... standing barbell curls...all destroy your spine.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »

How ironic....just last night I saw someone squatting and suddenly there was this explosion and he collapsed into a pile of flesh, organs, and muscle.....his spine was obviously destroyed.

::)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »
WOW! An exercise that moves the upper back in an eccentric and concentric contraction through a large range of motion is a better mass builder than an exercise where the upper back is held statically? Incredible, what other training insights do you have?

:D

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:51 AM »
How ironic....just last night I saw someone squatting and suddenly there was this explosion and he collapsed into a pile of flesh, organs, and muscle.....his spine was obviously destroyed.
 ::)

how old are you?  " ::)", typical comment of a short sighted, ignorant and immature moron.

Keep destroying your back then, several hours a week, and tell me how it feels when you re in your 40s/50s, fucktard. It's even more retarded when you know that you can develop those muscular groups doing less harmful exercises instead.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:08 AM »
For me DL targets mostly hamstring, glutes, spinal erector & traps...lats not as much.
I believe it's still a beneficial excercise for BB, so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

For back I could get by with Pull ups/chins BB rows and DL that's really all I do for back anyway...

you just passed falcon and che on the best lifetime natty list brother

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:39 AM »

x2

Most people on here will find that out after 15-20+ years lifting.

Some, however, have the right physiology for these exercises and seem to be able to do them for years.

Me personally, I used to love squats and DLs and did them for years heavy.  Also bent barbell rows.  My lower back is so screwed up now that leg presses seem painful in that area.

I think there are plenty of other back movements that pack on mass..  and many of them using a lighter weight with a higher rep scheme.  Seated cable rows done with a weight getting about 12 reps works great if you perform them correctly with a good squeeze at the end.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »
deadlifts are good for hams though

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:04 AM »
x2

Most people on here will find that out after 15-20+ years lifting.

Some, however, have the right physiology for these exercises and seem to be able to do them for years.

Me personally, I used to love squats and DLs and did them for years heavy.  Also bent barbell rows.  My lower back is so screwed up now that leg presses seem painful in that area.

I think there are plenty of other back movements that pack on mass..  and many of them using a lighter weight with a higher rep scheme.  Seated cable rows done with a weight getting about 12 reps works great if you perform them correctly with a good squeeze at the end.

i dont lift to "pack on mass" -anymore-. I lift to feel and look good, mostly to the direct benefit of my girl and for my job, not to "get bigger". You can get respect being fit without being "big". I lift weights to maintain a certain level of muscularity, but not to "increase" it. As a natural, reach your plateau after two or three years training correctly, then maintain it, but that's about all you can do realistically speaking.
I basically think that if you re born an ectomorph, it's pointless to want to "pack on mass". You ve been designed for something else, period. It's the skinny kids who want to "pack on mass" who use retarded, harmful execises and go the steroid route imitating the bullshiters they see in the ads and mags. Just because they cant deal with who they are, cause they want to "get bigger" to feel less insecure. Had they had a decend father figure, they would have developed more useful for both themselves and others skills and goals to insure their survival in this world.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:18 AM »
I love barbell rows but also love T-Bars.
T-Bars make lats thick, and give you a better stretch when done correctly!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:39 AM »
I guess that's where we differ uberman.  I"m 33 and have been lifting since 13.  I still feel that I am slowly putting on size without super heavy weights.  Back is one bodypart that I feel you need control and form with.  Most "hardcore mass builders" for back are performed with lousy technique and a lot of cheating, i.e. bent rows.  Most perform these with horrible form.

Some back movements I like that still add size imo:

1.  Seated ONE arm cable rows--  Pause them at peak contraction (where hand is at your side).  I toss these in sometimes second on my list of exercises. 
2.  Seated two arm cable rows
3.  Underhand pulldowns.  Again, strict movement with just a little leaning back during the rep.  Higher rep, around 12-13.  Need to squeeze the back.
4.  DB rows.  Again, paused at peak contraction.  Not too heavy (in able to pause for that brief moment). 

Key number one for building a good back is to feel the back working and fililng with blood.  Also getting that stretch during the movement. 

monstermunch

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:27 AM »
Deadlifts are a good mass builder that works many parts of the body, including lower back.

the superior back exercise however are barbell rows.

hope this helps.

Don't you get enough of a workout bending over for your boyfriend night and day?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »
I guess that's where we differ uberman.  I"m 33 and have been lifting since 13.  I still feel that I am slowly putting on size without super heavy weights.  Back is one bodypart that I feel you need control and form with.  Most "hardcore mass builders" for back are performed with lousy technique and a lot of cheating, i.e. bent rows.  Most perform these with horrible form.

1.  Seated ONE arm cable rows--  Pause them at peak contraction (where hand is at your side).  I toss these in sometimes second on my list of exercises. 
3.  Underhand pulldowns.  Again, strict movement with just a little leaning back during the rep.  Higher rep, around 12-13.  Need to squeeze the back.
4.  DB rows.  Again, paused at peak contraction.  Not too heavy (in able to pause for that brief moment). 

Key number one for building a good back is to feel the back working and fililng with blood.  Also getting that stretch during the movement. 

good luck with this lifestyle once the recession hits you. You ll have more important things to care about, than "meeting your daily protein intakes for optimal muscle growth" ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:14 AM »
i dunno, you'll never meet a BBer who can chin 50 times, weighs over 200, who isn'ta  complete badass.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
For me DL targets mostly hamstring, glutes, spinal erector & traps...lats not as much.
I believe it's still a beneficial excercise for BB, so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

For back I could get by with Pull ups/chins BB rows and DL that's really all I do for back anyway...

this you?

what drugs does this require/natural?

looks great

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »

i've only had spinal problems from standing barbell curls

never a problem with squats and deadlifts

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
I really like smith machine rows. At first I thought it was a stupid exercise but I actually prefer it vs free bar barbell rows. I also make sure to allow some bodymotion and I don't try to turn into a isolation movement where you end up using more arms instead of back.

Someone also mentioned free standing db rows with your arm on an incline bench and I prefer these too. I do these explosively and prefer them over more standard db rows where you keep one knee on a bench.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »
Hurt my back years ago doing heavy hacks.................wa s training for several contests and my back was acting up so I threw in lying barbell rows..............lie on a high bench and row.

Takes legs and any heaving out of the exercise.........really a great movement,give them a shot.
yes i have done this with Dumbbells. Nice tip wes.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »
good luck with this lifestyle once the recession hits you. You ll have more important things to care about, than "meeting your daily protein intakes for optimal muscle growth" ...

What's up with the shitty attitude here dude?  Just giving you my opinion on some back exercises.  I don't need your condescending bullshit.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »

Damn good post........been saying the same thing for years now.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
yes i have done this with Dumbbells. Nice tip wes.
Thanks Donny.....hope all is well buddy! ;)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

Thanks Wes. 

I think this ideology comes with age. 

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
I agree with Wes and Coltrane.....Back training is all about feeling the muscle. You must pull with your elbows not your hands.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »
lat pulldowns for me

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
Thanks Wes. 

I think this ideology comes with age. 
Yup,I used to row with 275 and do T-Bars with 5-6 plates.......all I got out of it was sore hams and zero back development.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »
Thanks Donny.....hope all is well buddy! ;)
yes i am ok..best wishes.