Author Topic: UFC 144 - Once again  (Read 9024 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • NO SUCH AGENCY
UFC 144 - Once again
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
Rampage comes in out of shape and loses to an inferior fighter that knows how to wrestle.

Rashad repeat all over again.

Overall, a good card so far-- the Botsch comeback against Okami was insane.

Edgar v Henderson about to start.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • NO SUCH AGENCY
Re: Once again
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »
Great fight-- but a bullshit decision IMO

One upkick that fucks someone face up doesn't decide a 5 round fight.

IMO robbery.

Edgar should have won-- and Henderson is a bible toting retard. I hope he loses every single fight he has the rest of his life.

What fucking moron fights in Japan and says "Everything is possible through Christ, let me get an Amen"

Also, he needs to stop having Don King do his hair.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
personally i think rampage got outstruck as well
irongearco.com

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »

IMO robbery.

Edgar should have won-- and Henderson is a bible toting retard. I hope he loses every single fight he has the rest of his life.

What fucking moron fights in Japan and says "Everything is possible through Christ, let me get an Amen"

a fight like edgar henderson going to decision is always a toss up. i noticed they stopped putting up the strikes landed when edgar was up 30 after the second or 3rd. henderson def did more damage BUT like you said edgar got the take downs. its hard to tell what the judges are looking for

with that said edgar has heart. that kick would have knocked most ppl out and how he survived that choke i will never know
irongearco.com

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • NO SUCH AGENCY
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
personally i think rampage got outstruck as well

He got out wrestled. Bader did no damage at all. Most meaningful moment of the fight was the slam. An in shape Rampage finishes Bader then and there.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »
He got out wrestled. Bader did no damage at all. Most meaningful moment of the fight was the slam. An in shape Rampage finishes Bader then and there.

a couple of punches seem to have some effect of page. his head sure went back..anyway i am not debating that. rampage is suppose to be a professional. professionals come in shape. if he was injured and couldn't train he should have dropped out of the fight. he got beat. his best days are behind him. the game has evolved and he hasn't changed
irongearco.com

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
I fell asleep and forgot to record the event. I'll catch a re-run.

Couldn't resist taking a peek at the results though.

Surprised Edgar lost his title, might keep that division interesting.

Don't know if i'm surprised by the Hunt/Kongo result. I like Kongo but Hunt's got hands that could take down pretty much any HW (maybe even Nelson).

Rampage? What can you say. I like the guy as a character and old Rampage as a fighter, but  it looks like this is a classic "i don't really care about this fight i'm just here for the money". He was in Japan where the people love him and he should've approached this fight like his life depended on it and put on a show, or at least 100% effort.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:34:12 AM »
I think Edgar won a close decision as well.  You have to really beat the champ to take his belt.  If Rampage keeps fighting, they need to give him some strikers to fight.  He will never win against a good wrestler these days.  The best he can do with a wrestler is hope to clip them, and then finish.  He had Rashad hurt, but couldn't finish and he had Bader dazed with that slam but couldn't follow up on it.  Give him Rich Franklin. lol

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
I have to say that a couple of the under card fights were good....better than the snoozefest that was the Bader fight...and I started to lose interest in the Edgar fight. 

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
Rampage says his knee was injured post fight....discuss
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_12621.shtml

"If I'm going to be critically honest, I'm not surprised that I lost the fight," Jackson said after the event at the post-fight press conference (transcribed by MMAJunkie.com). "I almost didn't make it to the fight, but I didn't want to pull out for the Japanese fans. I injured my knee pretty bad, and my doctor told me not to fight. But it wasn't real serious. I didn't need surgery or nothing, but he told me it wasn't a good idea to fight. I decided to fight anyway."

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Rampage says his knee was injured post fight....discuss
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_12621.shtml

"If I'm going to be critically honest, I'm not surprised that I lost the fight," Jackson said after the event at the post-fight press conference (transcribed by MMAJunkie.com). "I almost didn't make it to the fight, but I didn't want to pull out for the Japanese fans. I injured my knee pretty bad, and my doctor told me not to fight. But it wasn't real serious. I didn't need surgery or nothing, but he told me it wasn't a good idea to fight. I decided to fight anyway."

he didn't fight any shittier than he usually does..

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:54 AM »
he didn't fight any shittier than he usually does..

exactly. if rampage can't connect with a KO punch he has nothing besides the strength to slam you.the game has evolved he hasn't.
irongearco.com

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 05:32:38 AM »
  That slam was vintage Rampage and together with Rampage entering to PRIDE's theme song, the most beautiful moment of UFC 144.

It is amazing how disrecpectful that bald motherfukker, Dana White, is towards MMA fans, the Japanese fans, and towards the most mythical and glorious MMA promotion ever.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:46 AM »
exactly. if rampage can't connect with a KO punch he has nothing besides the strength to slam you.the game has evolved he hasn't.

"The game has evolved. He hasn't."

Really? What evolution you refer to? Wrestlers taking their opponent to the grounds, and then humping them for a win? Because this is the only "evolution" that has happened in MMA since Zuffa hired an army of college wrestlers to become MMA fighters.

You see, there was a time when MMA used to be about finishing your opponents. Most guys who took fights to the ground were Judo practitioners, and they tried to submit their opponents. Wrestlers also tried to finish their opponents because they would be punished with yellow and red cards for lack of aggressiveness for stalling the fight if they went for the takedown and just kept their opponents on their back without trying to finish them. Zuffa rules combined with college Greco-Roman wrestlers have killed MMA.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
page is a one trick pony who relies on his hands..

now if the one trick pony loses hand speed, that's not the sport evolving and the rampage not evolving..

that's actually rampage devolving and off the top of me head I'm pretty sure he's just about the only one in that boat that I can think of..

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
   Wrestlers also tried to finish their opponents because they would be punished with yellow and red cards

agree..

the ufc should implement the yellow card thing..

just the threat of a yellow card would speed thing up in the cage..

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »
Agreed.  Bader didn't do shit besides a few takedowns.  It's pathetic that someone can win a fight like that.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »
 "The game has evolved. He hasn't."

Really? What evolution you refer to? Wrestlers taking their opponent to the grounds, and then humping them for a win? Because this is the only "evolution" that has happened in MMA since Zuffa hired an army of college wrestlers to become MMA fighters.

You see, there was a time when MMA used to be about finishing your opponents. Most guys who took fights to the ground were Judo practitioners, and they tried to submit their opponents. Wrestlers also tried to finish their opponents because they would be punished with yellow and red cards for lack of aggressiveness for stalling the fight if they went for the takedown and just kept their opponents on their back without trying to finish them. Zuffa rules combined with college Greco-Roman wrestlers have killed MMA.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

perhaps rampage should learn how to wrestle. that is my point. rampage can punch...thats it. everyone else including great strikers can wrestle and are descent at bjj. if time hadn;t run out page would have probably tapped or went to sleep when bader choked him...the choke was in deep. so don;t tell me all bader did was lay on him
irongearco.com

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
Rampage needs to face reality. The warrior spirit he has will never die but he is not willing to pay the price at 33 to run with these young dudes let alone win the title. I know at 34 now I'm not nearly as reckless as years prior.

Hoping to catch lightening in a bottle describes the current rampage imo.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »

perhaps rampage should learn how to wrestle. that is my point. rampage can punch...thats it. everyone else including great strikers can wrestle and are descent at bjj. if time hadn;t run out page would have probably tapped or went to sleep when bader choked him...the choke was in deep. so don;t tell me all bader did was lay on him

How is Rampage going to learn how to wrestle at almost 34 years of age against guys who have been wrestling since their teen years and went to college on wrestling scholarships? He has no chance of ever becoming good enough at it to stop their takedowns.

The reason why wrestling has killed MMA is simple: taking humans down is ridiculously easy because we walk on two feet and have high centers of gravity, and once the wrestler takes the fight to the ground like they always do for the aforementioned reason, it becomes a wrestling match and wrestling matches are boring.

I love watching BJJ matches and guys trying to outwit and submit each other. That is huge fun to watch. The grappling match between Big Nog and Mir was beautiful and entertaining. But wrestling matches where one tries to put the other on his back and keep him there are booooooooooooooooring. No one besides Chael Sonnen and Lesnar fan boys want to watch that. It kills MMA.

The reality of how easy it is to do a takedown with the current rules assures the MMA fight will become a wrestling match if one or two of the fighters has a wrestling background. You cannot change the ease that wrestlers have in taking their opponents to the ground, but you can change the rules so as to stop wrestlers from cheesing up the fight and win decisions by putting their opponents on their back and keeping them there.

Penalize takedowns with a loss of a point, meaning that if a wreslter wants to take the fight to the ground, he better try to submit his opponent or KO him with ground-and-pound or he might lose the fight, and then penalize him further with more loss of points with yellow and red cards if he shows lack of aggressiveness in trying to finish his opponent.

Trust me, these simple rules would solve all the problems with boring fights and assure us either violent stand-up wars or great grappling matches on the ground.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 03:13:48 AM »
Rampage is no longer a top tier fighter IMO, his age has caught up with him and he has not added anything to his arsenal which would enable him to compete at the highest level. His punches are rightly feared however there are far too many guys that know how to avoid them, each performance is becoming more and more one sided to the point where itll be painful to see him in there. Shame as i really liked to watch him bang back in the day but his time has passed and i dont think his heart has truly been in the game for a number of years.

He decisioned Jardine and then went downhill, and no matter what the books say there is no way in hell he beat Machida, not even close. So that leaves him with a win over an ageing Matt Hamill that wanted out of the game. Now he's looking at rematching Shogun and that could very well seal the deal on his retirement.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »

IMO robbery.

Henderson won for the same reason Jon Jones wins his fights: he simply outsized and outmuscled his opponent. Edgar looked like a flea next to Henderson. It is that simple. This is not rocket science, folks.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »
  Henderson won for the same reason Jon Jones wins his fights: he simply outsized and outmuscled his opponent. Edgar looked like a flea next to Henderson. It is that simple. This is not rocket science, folks.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Edgar looks like a flea compared to most of his opponents, he didnt get the job done its as simple as that.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
Edgar looks like a flea compared to most of his opponents, he didnt get the job done its as simple as that.

Because his opponents that outsized him weren't that good. The day he fought a bigger opponent who was good, and Henderson as a former WEC champion certainly is, he lost. Simple as that.

Stop stalking me into every MMA-related thread I post desperate to prove me wrong to show that you have more MMA smarts than me. It is getting old.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
frankie is a tough kid but he is just to small for some of the big weight cutters like bendo, in a rematch i dont know how frankie could beat him.i think maybe by stickin and movin the whole fight and trying to get the decision, im hopin frankie will pull it off since hes training under renzo and ricardo but bendo is just to big and skilled. id like to see frankie fight aldo, that fight will be huge, dana has a huge boner for that fight cause of the coin the ufc will pull in from ppv and tix.   
R