Author Topic: What do you curl with?  (Read 11554 times)

Ledd

• Getbig III
Re: What do you curl with?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 10:37:01 PM »
OK, I realize you took the short bus to school...let me spell it out for you: Bicep curls, or direct bicep work is not exactly a functional exercise.  Doing curls at your stage of the game is really only neccesary for vanity reasons (or to impress the ladies...don't worry I'm sure your bf will like it too) Does that clarify you simple turd?  Here is a training tip for you...concentrate on your squat, dead, row etc #'s and less on what you are curling.

As for "pointless" and "utterly senseless" that would be this thread as well as the person who started it ;)

I cant stand it when I post a simple enough question that even one as lowbrow as yourself should be able to type in a number, or just simply grunt and move on.  You ignorant Neanderthal.  I mean how daft can you be to think that training your arms isn't functional??? Ofcourse not as important as several other exercises but do your arms have muscles of there own?  Obviously you are an inbred, so you may have some physical abnormalities but are they so serious that even your musculature is dysfunctional?  Poor little thing.
And the fact that you tried to call me gay by typing "I'm sure your bf will like it too)"  shows me how dim you actually are, my God I havent been called gay since 8th grade, and that kid turned out to be a fag anyway.  Go back to the gym and train your arms you pussy.

Smokey MacPot

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »
I curl 80 pd dumbells for 8-9 reps in strict form since I was 18. What people need to focus on is their form god dammit

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 11:17:35 AM »
I cant stand it when I post a simple enough question that even one as lowbrow as yourself should be able to type in a number, or just simply grunt and move on.  You ignorant Neanderthal.  I mean how daft can you be to think that training your arms isn't functional??? Ofcourse not as important as several other exercises but do your arms have muscles of there own?  Obviously you are an inbred, so you may have some physical abnormalities but are they so serious that even your musculature is dysfunctional?  Poor little thing.
And the fact that you tried to call me gay by typing "I'm sure your bf will like it too)"  shows me how dim you actually are, my God I havent been called gay since 8th grade, and that kid turned out to be a fag anyway.  Go back to the gym and train your arms you pussy.

You need to read what you post you simple simple child.  You hurl alot more insults than I did and remember, you started with them.  I gave some advice you may want to listen to, in fact those with some experience agreed.  You are new to this game and this site.  So far you suck at both.  Now I will post a couple pics of my arm...I have several more pics on the pic board.  I've stated I curl what you use both hands on with one, and until you post a pic showing me differantly you should be the one in the gym changing your pipe cleaners into something which no longer looks like its attached to an aids patient.  You are tiny, you try to act intellectual yet end your post with "you pussy" you aren't impressing anyone.  You are an internet commando so I am calling you out...lets compare arms "gunslinginger"  until you do you are nothing but a silly bitch sitting behind your computer fantasizing about actually being masculine one day.

I've tried not to use vulgarity, I know you are sensitive and I'm not sure if your parents are there to censore things for you.  Here are a couple pics...where are yours "tough guy"?

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 01:12:49 PM »
First off, I'll not modify my last post to hide my vulgarity, but I will apologize for traveling into the realm of "insults" as opposed to simple chiding.  I posted in another thread recently that once a month I like to down a few beers this was the case last night.  Sorry excuse but its my only one.
In regard to the pics I dont know how or have the means to post a pic, and ofcourse my arms arent going to compete with yours in size even though judging by the pic I am more defined.  And based on the pic your lower arms and bicep arent proportioned well to your tricep.  I am not an "internet commando", I dont know what exactly that is either. I come online to research weightlifting and check current events and weather.  I dont live with my parents, I own my own home and live with my wife and three kids so censorship isnt necessary. 

All I can do is give you the honest stats at this time, not pics.
I have been lifting regularly for close to a year.
                        started------now
Squat               180             300
Dead                 205           315
Bench               155            225
When I started lifting I weighed 155 and now I hover between 170-175.
I think those are decent numbers for less than one year.  Also I use very strict form and the numbers I curl with are high repetition.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 01:37:36 PM »
mmmmmm... good arms... average bi's
but great tris...

im the other way dareem and coleman biceps... too great for my tris...
my tris are above average.. and RIPPED... ala dareems but cant compare to my genetic gift of biceps
choice is an illusion

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 01:39:16 PM »
17 inch? unless dieted down to about 3 percent body fat...those are more like purse pistols. lol.

Maybe.  But if you comprehended my post, you would know that I was referring to newbs that weigh around 145 pounds trying to obtain 17 inch arms.  Actually, if one knows what they are doing, they really should not lose arm size when dieting down. 

candidate 2025

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 02:48:31 PM »
Maybe.  But if you comprehended my post, you would know that I was referring to newbs that weigh around 145 pounds trying to obtain 17 inch arms.  Actually, if one knows what they are doing, they really should not lose arm size when dieting down. 

no i didnt quite catch that. and ive never dieted down for a contest (yet..on the account that ive only seriously been training for bout 9 months)..so i just thought that you would pretty much flatten out after dieting.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »
You need to read what you post you simple simple child.  You hurl alot more insults than I did and remember, you started with them.  I gave some advice you may want to listen to, in fact those with some experience agreed.  You are new to this game and this site.  So far you suck at both.  Now I will post a couple pics of my arm...I have several more pics on the pic board.  I've stated I curl what you use both hands on with one, and until you post a pic showing me differantly you should be the one in the gym changing your pipe cleaners into something which no longer looks like its attached to an aids patient.  You are tiny, you try to act intellectual yet end your post with "you pussy" you aren't impressing anyone.  You are an internet commando so I am calling you out...lets compare arms "gunslinginger"  until you do you are nothing but a silly bitch sitting behind your computer fantasizing about actually being masculine one day.

I've tried not to use vulgarity, I know you are sensitive and I'm not sure if your parents are there to censore things for you.  Here are a couple pics...where are yours "tough guy"?

great tricep thickness...bi's need some work, but til good arms. not knockin em.

how long have you been throwin up the steel?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

LeePriestLover

• Getbig II
  • ---LPL---
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 02:09:31 AM »
PB's are 135 for 9 (2 25's plu 5 each side) on close grip easy bar curls (quite strict) and DB hammers 80's for 6 @ 5'9" 215lbs

Nice.  Sorry, what are PB's?? 

Good arms, brother.

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2005, 04:49:16 AM »
Sorry, what are PB's?? 

Personal Bests

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 05:07:31 AM »
so i just thought that you would pretty much flatten out after dieting.

Most do "flatten out" because they appoach dieting and competition incorrectly IMO.  When one is restricting calories and increasing work, recovery is affected and atrophy results due to the body cannibalizing itself.  Say, if you are in a lower carb mode, by way of example, and calorie deficient but you are getting close to a contest date.  Trainee will increase work due to motivation, panic, read an article in Muscle and Fiction or whatever.  This increased load on the body coupled with the decrease in calories will force the body to look to the muscle and strip amino acids from the muscle (gluconeogenesis)  to convert to glucose (energy).  Using your own protein in your muscle obviously affects recovery and ultimatley size. 

The way around this is to do less work or take an extra day or two to recover between each body part, or both when in a calorie restriction.  Some folks go lighter when they diet....1) because they have to due to recovery being affected and 2) becaue they think higher reps increases detail in the muscle belly which is strictly a function of diet and defies your own common sense and most bodybuilding theory.  Example:  If you assume that, say, if you bench 225 for 10 reps and you increase to 235 for 10 reps you will be stronger and, by default, bigger?  Then you should assume that you should be able to do that weight up to contest day or at least a week out to maintain that size.  This is just an example for ease or explanation but you should see some logic in there.  What I did, was take an extra two days between chest workouts as an example because that's what it took for me to do the same reps with the same weight.  I did chest every NINE days but, according to the guy who did my BF every week, I lost NO muscle mass and was at 4 percent one week out.  Why do we train IAW a 7 day week anyway?  What correlation is there between a calendar week and your body's ability to recover and overcompensate?  Just some questions to think about or not. 

Negative051

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2005, 01:39:47 PM »
I BB curl with 70 for 6 reps of 4.  I then do concentration curls (on the padded bench, not on my leg lol) with 30 for 5 reps of 4. 

For the longest time I did BB curl wrong and hardly got stronger due to my piss poor form and no roids (lol).  Anyway, I read to keep my shoulders low, elbows locked to the sides, and DO NOT allow your wrist to curl up as you move the weight up.  That last one is the real kicker.  I started doing them this way about 8 weeks ago and have moved up about 15 lbs in workout weight.  Curls are deceptive easy looking but in fact they are fairly complex.  I think if you do not allow any wrist bend there is at least some bicep activation throughout the entire range of movement even if you have otherwise horrible form.  This is why you see some big guys with great biceps doing curls with their elbows flaring, back into it form who still have outstanding biceps.  Watch his/her (shiver shemale) wrist and I bet 9 times out of 10 that sucker will not be curling up. 

Just my thoughts.  Feel free to flame/discuss (lol)

loler

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2005, 01:44:17 PM »
uh
curling your forearm has nothing to do with bicep emphasis
retard

Negative051

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2005, 04:47:31 PM »
So when you break the 45 degree point during BB curls curling the wrist forward does not matter?  haha  Sure it does.   It increases momentum and takes emphasis OFF the biceps.  But hey...keep curling your wrist because I do not care if you get huge biceps or not hehe.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2005, 08:39:31 PM »
you guys should check out this weeks fitshow with hollywood does bi's. and he explians that if you curl all the way up you using the front delts to get it up.

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 10:09:58 AM »
Lately i've switched it up. I isolate first, then do a compound movement second. It's good for a change. example: standing alternate db curls. Then, standing barbell curls, and cheat the last couple of reps on your last set.
I usually started with bb curls, then preacher curls, then by the time i got to db curls, my biceps were too fatigued to use any serious weight. So now i'm doing the first routine i described for 4 weeks before going back to my old routine, but on the old routine, i think i'll start with bb curls, then go to db curls. I always finish with "Ronnie cable curls" for a great pump. These r done on a low cable with a cambered bar attached to it. Stand facing away from the cable station with the cable between your legs and grip the closer part of the cambered cable bar. When curling, don't lift your elbow's up or you'll brush the sack with the cable. Not comfortable. Before this exercise i forgot to throw in hammer curls, so i'll start bitching and moaning on the way out of the gym. But don't u forget to throw them in there. Hope this helps.

CEA999

loler

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 10:42:21 AM »
another gem from carmello
he seems to think standing db curls are an isolation move
+2 points

Big_D

• Getbig IV
  • CockDees without the drugs!
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2005, 07:56:55 AM »
I curled 85lb dumbells for 5 reps today standing single arm curles.
Dont hate playa

Bear726

• Getbig II
  • ....a flipn' 12 gauge what do you think.
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2005, 08:07:41 AM »
Posted by: NoCalBbEr 
Insert Quote
you guys should check out this weeks fitshow with hollywood does bi's. and he explians that if you curl all the way up you using the front delts to get it up.

I don't think this is true at all.  When I break the horizontal on standing barbell curls I feel the peak of my bi exploding.  I see ton's of guys doing the curl up to their peck's and then back down, but when I see them flex or to isolation curls they have no peak on their bi.  The only way to get that peak is by squeezing at the top with BB/DB curls or preachers.   

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »

I don't think this is true at all.  When I break the horizontal on standing barbell curls I feel the peak of my bi exploding.  I see ton's of guys doing the curl up to their peck's and then back down, but when I see them flex or to isolation curls they have no peak on their bi.  The only way to get that peak is by squeezing at the top with BB/DB curls or preachers.   

Really?  Huh.  So you're stating that one can, in fact, change the shape of their muscles?  I for one would like to know the mechanism by which muscle fiber insertion points change.

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2005, 02:13:34 PM »
another gem from carmello
he seems to think standing db curls are an isolation move
+2 points
Things that make u go hmmmmmm? right loler? So if standing barbell curls is a compound movement, then why don't u tell me what standing alternate dumbell curls are? Oh that's right........they're a full body workout to u, cause u have no idea what the form is on these. My mistake. When done correctly "loser" (substitute the second "L" with "S" for missing the (s)igns yet again) the standing alternate dumbell curls is an effective mass isolation movement. So if u just concentrate on your biceps moving the dumbell, you'll see what I'm talking about. Thank me later. Goodnite!
CEA999

loler

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2005, 02:15:03 PM »
standing bicep curl an isolation move hahahaahah what a joke
do yourself a favor and dont post again