Author Topic: Training  (Read 6536 times)

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
Training
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
So im back hard into my training and im wondering how good it is to just train all the way through every bodypart and then just take one day off per week.....anyone do this? could i expect decent/good results from this? thx for the feedback.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »
I usually go 3 on 1 off.....

although...sometimes I train every other day.

I would definitely train no more than 3 days in a row.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
Ok...im just working alot and have to squeeze in workouts when i can get them and honestly have been doing pretty good at the schedule ive been keeping, But so is 3 on 1 off 3 on 1 off etc. etc. ok then?

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
3 on 1 off is good.....but every other day might even be better.....it is imperative to get plenty of rest and recovery.

If you are pressed for time.....you might give whole body workouts a try.....just a suggestion.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:17:50 AM »
Remember reading about Vic Downs training (around the 60's & 70's) who would base his workouts on a single muscle group each week day. It included selecting 3 exercise per muscle group (to be worked that day). Each exercise was done for 5 sets of 8-12 reps. That would be 15 sets total for that individual muscle area. No other exercises were done on that day. Pretty much straight sets, no SS's, force reps, drop sets,etc. Usually 6 days a week training, but can be adjusted to ones needs.

Monday might be chest day. BP, inclines and fly's might be done in that workout day.All depends on the guy working out and what he prefers. Just get in the 3 movements of 5 sets for that day.

Example: just an example, do whatever.

Mon- chest
Tues- delts
Wed- legs
Thurs- bicep
Fri-  back
Sat- triceps

Met 3  guy's, a couple years ago, who were doing this style workout. Liked it because if allowed less time in the gym (actually home garage gym for them..with about 600lbs of plates). These guy's were all in their mid-thirty's, married, family..the whole domestic gig. Bottom line, they were still making some impressive gains in size and strength.  Good Luck.

F

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
 Some good advice here. I'd think over how many days you can get to the gym per week. Once that is established set up a routine around it and be consistent. Personally I never liked lifting weights more than five times per week. Have stuck with four day program for the last 7 years. If possible separate cardio workouts from weights. That way you can focus one modality at a time.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:50:17 PM »
Remember reading about Vic Downs training (around the 60's & 70's) who would base his workouts on a single muscle group each week day. It included selecting 3 exercise per muscle group (to be worked that day). Each exercise was done for 5 sets of 8-12 reps. That would be 15 sets total for that individual muscle area. No other exercises were done on that day. Pretty much straight sets, no SS's, force reps, drop sets,etc. Usually 6 days a week training, but can be adjusted to ones needs.

Monday might be chest day. BP, inclines and fly's might be done in that workout day.All depends on the guy working out and what he prefers. Just get in the 3 movements of 5 sets for that day.

Mon- chest
Tues- delts
Wed- legs
Thurs- bicep
Fri-  back
Sat- triceps

Met 3  guy's, a couple years ago, who were doing this style workout. Liked it because if allowed less time in the gym (actually home garage gym for them..with about 600lbs of plates). These guy's were all in their mid-thirty's, married, family..the whole domestic gig. Bottom line, they were still making some impressive gains in size and strength.  Good Luck.

another great post. yes Bill Pearl gave me the this idea to do this from his book Getting stronger from 1986. I spoke to Bill on the phone 3 times and he was a great guy. i did mention the programme in his book and he said that muscles overlap. so training such a split does work and is not from bodybuilders NOW.

jakesonyou

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
there's nothing wrong with doing that at all!

jpm101 has a very common routine.  You will get results no doubt, but the best?  Watch your body and monitor your strength.  track your progress!

Some people like to include some of those together, such as back and biceps or chest and triceps.  Still work them hard and not spend forever in the gym.

For me, I like to have a day off in between.  But 6 in a row and 1 off is fine.  If your gonna do just 1 body part work it hard!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
The only drawback that I see in jpm101`s example is doing biceps before back....I think that they should be staggered on another day as they will be torn down and to train back the following day would just lead to overtraining them,but I do get the gist of the routine and it`s a good time tested basic approach.

jakesonyou

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
The only drawback that I see in jpm101`s example is doing biceps before back....I think that they should be staggered on another day as they will be torn down and to train back the following day would just lead to overtraining them,but I do get the gist of the routine and it`s a good time tested basic approach.
hmmmm... you actually have some knowledge when it comes to bodybuilding!  You are not just a total jerk off!

I will agree with user wes.

As I said people include back and biceps on a day together because many exercises focusing on the back will also hit the bicep in some way or another.  for example underhand rows, deadlifts, pullups, etc.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
Wes: Great good news for you, jake-you doesn't think your a total jerkoff after all. Can sleep well these nights, knowing all is well. Guessing here that any one who does not share the same training beliefs of j-y is a jerkoff.  Hope I'm wrong.

As noted the training protocol was just an loose example, showing how each day is  setup for different body part. Not that the example is set in stone, and one must follow that order. But based on the bicep/back thing, that could be possible.

Men have worked the same body part two days in a row before, that's not a new concept, but a rare one today. The special adapting to a true work overload twice in a row, as calves, forearms, legs, calves & back mostly come to mind. As a shock value, working the biceps twice in a row (as the calves, etc), may prove to have value for very stubborn arms. This special focus  (2 days in a row) are designed  for short range goals and not regular training protocols.

The biceps do get worked to a certain degree with the back. But a far better factor would be direct bicep work with curls, an another example. Just have to follow the almost daily training of gymnast or short event track men, who repeat the same functions in almost daily workouts.  Arms, delts and back (plus abs) for gymnast and quads, hams & calves (plus abs) for short distance track men.

Any of the above may not work for most but some have gained from this  somewhat radical approach to training. Any new avenue to size and power can most always be worth a look. Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
I'm not big on biceps before back either. For quite awhile now I've been doing.....

Legs
Chest/Tris
off
Back/Bis
Shoulders
off
off

Seems to be very good for recover and gains for me and it allows me to keep things simple and consistent.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
Wes: Great good news for you, jake-you doesn't think your a total jerkoff after all. Can sleep well these nights, knowing all is well. Guessing here that any one who does not share the same training beliefs of j-y is a jerkoff.  Hope I'm wrong.

As noted the training protocol was just an loose example, showing how each day is  setup for different body part. Not that the example is set in stone, and one must follow that order. But based on the bicep/back thing, that could be possible.

Men have worked the same body part two days in a row before, that's not a new concept, but a rare one today. The special adapting to a true work overload twice in a row, as calves, forearms, legs, calves & back mostly come to mind. As a shock value, working the biceps twice in a row (as the calves, etc), may prove to have value for very stubborn arms. This special focus  (2 days in a row) are designed  for short range goals and not regular training protocols.

The biceps do get worked to a certain degree with the back. But a far better factor would be direct bicep work with curls, an another example. Just have to follow the almost daily training of gymnast or short event track men, who repeat the same functions in almost daily workouts.  Arms, delts and back (plus abs) for gymnast and quads, hams & calves (plus abs) for short distance track men.

Any of the above may not work for most but some have gained from this  somewhat radical approach to training. Any new avenue to size and power can most always be worth a look. Good Luck.
I hear you my friend,that` why I mentioned that it was just an example.

I vastly respect your knowledge on this board as I`m sure we all do.........and that is an understatement!

As far as Jake goes,he`s a gimmick account so he doesn`t phase me as he just parrots info and I`m sure I forgot more about training than he will ever garner in his lifetime.

If he was legit,I would never put him down,but alas,he`s just a gimmick internet troll.

I sleep just fine!  :D

jakesonyou

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »

I know what you posted was an example.  I just wanted to expand on what wes posted.

secondly wes is a jerk off because he treats me like garbage in the threads I make to help people.  I don't know him and have never done anything bad to him.  I usually just ignore his posts but when it comes to training, I give credit where it's due.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »
I don't know that I've read any jakes posts off of the training board but if he comes legit here and stays away from flaming the rest of us should too.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
He`s YAGR but he keeps himself more civil.

Check out his posting history.....it`s him.

Chaos is right though,I won`t bother the guy anymore......sorry to disrupt the thread.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 01:11:12 AM »
Yes...have to agree,, Biceps a day before back is not very good. I always do the Big muscles before the small ones. talking of jerking off guys..great forearm ex..just got to remember to swap arms now and again... ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 06:11:54 AM »
These days I am focused on cutting weight and training for an upcoming 5k race (trying to build a different physique for my 40s)... I have been training Push-Pull again for a month and love it.  Not a lot of sets/reps but everything strict and no sets under 10 reps.

Push
Bench Press (25,25,15,12,10)
Close Grip Bench Press (15,15,15)
Incline Flies (12,12,12)
Triceps Kickbacks (12,12,12)
Lateral Delt Raises (15,12,12)
Anterior Delt Barbell Raises (15,12,12)

Pull
Lat Pulldowns Rear (15,12,12)
Lat Pulldowns Front (10,10,10)
Seated Rows (10,10,10)
Dumbbell Deadlifts & Shrugs (25,15,12,12)
Dumbbell Curls (12,12,12)
Barbell Curls (10,15,25)

I train 1 day, then off the next and so on...

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »

Mon- chest
Tues- delts
Wed- legs
Thurs- bicep
Fri-  back
Sat- triceps

So....then it would be ok to train 6 on 1 off like i currently am? I mean im doing ok with it but just want to make sure that im getting enough rest so my i can grow. I am a natty btw just to throw that in there lol, Another reason i like this style of training is because its all high intensity and im sweating my ass off for atleast 45mins straight and making some decent fat loss on this without having to subject my bad back to treadmils or anything

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
Pain-69: It's not a question of being OK, I can't answer that for anyone.  If anyone wants to experiment with any form of "out of the box" training ideas, than it might be worth the effort. Never know what you may be passing up or the gains you might have been making. BB'ers have to be some of the most inventive and creative people around.

I've explored some of these training systems. As have others I know. Some protocols ...just alright, some very, very  good. With any new training protocol, give it a fair shot. The first one or two weeks, being more of a breaking in period. Allowing a good 6 to 8 weeks to see the quality of results. If after 6 weeks, nothing much is shown from the program, than drop it and advance to something else. We tend to get into a habit of doing the same old thing, workout after workout, with very little change in progress. BB'ing is really hit or miss , truth be told. Not any one thing works for everyone. As far as the 6 times a week training idea, it has been successful for quite a few. May or may not be worth a shot, up to you. Good Luck.
F

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
Pain-69: It's not a question of being OK, I can't answer that for anyone.  If anyone wants to experiment with any form of "out of the box" training ideas, than it might be worth the effort. Never know what you may be passing up or the gains you might have been making. BB'ers have to be some of the most inventive and creative people around.

I've explored some of these training systems. As have others I know. Some protocols ...just alright, some very, very  good. With any new training protocol, give it a fair shot. The first one or two weeks, being more of a breaking in period. Allowing a good 6 to 8 weeks to see the quality of results. If after 6 weeks, nothing much is shown from the program, than drop it and advance to something else. We tend to get into a habit of doing the same old thing, workout after workout, with very little change in progress. BB'ing is really hit or miss , truth be told. Not any one thing works for everyone. As far as the 6 times a week training idea, it has been successful for quite a few. May or may not be worth a shot, up to you. Good Luck.

I hear ya jpm it basically comes down to how your body responds to any certin type of training, I guess ill stick to the 6 on 1 off and see how i respond to it over the next couple of months. thx everyone

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
These days I am focused on cutting weight and training for an upcoming 5k race (trying to build a different physique for my 40s)... I have been training Push-Pull again for a month and love it.  Not a lot of sets/reps but everything strict and no sets under 10 reps.

Push
Bench Press (25,25,15,12,10)
Close Grip Bench Press (15,15,15)
Incline Flies (12,12,12)
Triceps Kickbacks (12,12,12)
Lateral Delt Raises (15,12,12)
Anterior Delt Barbell Raises (15,12,12)

Pull
Lat Pulldowns Rear (15,12,12)
Lat Pulldowns Front (10,10,10)
Seated Rows (10,10,10)
Dumbbell Deadlifts & Shrugs (25,15,12,12)
Dumbbell Curls (12,12,12)
Barbell Curls (10,15,25)

I train 1 day, then off the next and so on...

so you do both Push and Pull on the same day and then take the next day off?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
so you do both Push and Pull on the same day and then take the next day off?

Nah..

Day 1 - Push
Day 2 - Off
Day 3 - Pull
Day 4 - Off
etc...

never more than 1 day off

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »
so this is what im doing now

chest
back
arms
off
shoulders
legs
off

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »
Also how does this shoulder routine look to you guys?

30 sec rest between sets

Incline shoulder presses 5x10-12
front lateral raises 4x10
upright rows 4x10
side laterals 4x10
rear flyes 4x10
face pulls 4x12-15

Im doing so much here because it seems that my shoulders really lag behind the rest of my body so im really trying to bring them up, Started this today and i can really feel it in my shoulders unlike my other more standard routines that i have done before.