Author Topic: A Game of Thrones - best show on TV  (Read 307542 times)

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
A Game of Thrones - best show on TV
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »
Please, tell me my mom and me (I'm setting some of you up for a joke here) aren't the only ones watching this.  Season 2 started a few weeks ago.

I say that, perhaps apart from HBO's earlier co-production with the BBC, "Rome," this show is the best on TV.  "Breaking Bad" is about the only other show that is half as riveting IMNSHO.

Tyrion is by far my favorite character.  If Cersei weren't a piece of ass, she'd probably be my second least-favorite after "King" Marquis de Sade, err, I mean, Joffrey.  But Littlefinger ... that conniving guy is worse than the Queen Regent and just a level below the stupid twisted Joffrey.

I appreciate that the show remained faithful to the books and fan favorite "Ed" Stark lost his head.  HBO productions too often change shit when they're afraid it'll hurt the audience's feelings; e.g., the extensive changes they've made to "True Blood" v. the books upon which that show is based.

Just the same, damn ... Joffrey can't die soon enough :)  

I also hope Khaleesi Targarayen either grows those dragons super-fast or cultivates some serious allies in that city her stragglers enter at the grace of that big, majestic-looking black dude.  I seriously wanted to see Drogo lead his armies to kick serious ass so, in his stead, his exquisitely beautiful wife ... (fapfapfap) will do only too nicely :)

Generally speaking, the lot of the people "leading" these divided kingdoms are a bunch of prideful morons.  They ALL know the Lannisters are a serious threat.  Why not join together to eliminate Tywin and King's Landing, THEN decide who deserves the throne?  For that matter, why not divvy up that dumb-assed Iron Throne and have several rulers, something akin to the King's Council?

P.S. -- Just as people said of Natalie Portman in "The Professional" and Emma Watson in the first Harry Potter movie, I predict little Maisie Williams will be a great, if unique-looking beauty when she comes of age.  I'd say the actress portraying Sansa is already there but I loathe her character to much, I couldn't pull a hair :D

Schmoff

• Getbig V
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
I'm waiting for the second season too

:D

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
Rome was fantastic.  Why did they only have two seasons?  I will not pay for a network (HBO) just for one good show.  I'll just get Game of Thrones on dvd when it comes out.  Do you like Deadwood?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
If they would have just named the characters Bob, Mike, John, Lisa it would be easier to follow but their fucking names are worst than african american names and makes it annoying to watch.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Didnt read it as Im only on ep 1 of the 2nd season so didnt want it spoiled, but the dwarf owns the show, and rightly won the emmy for it.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
Rome was fantastic.  Why did they only have two seasons?  I will not pay for a network (HBO) just for one good show.  I'll just get Game of Thrones on dvd when it comes out.  Do you like Deadwood?

Loved it.  At another forum, I used something Al Swearengen said as a sig line.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
If they would have just named the characters Bob, Mike, John, Lisa it would be easier to follow but their fucking names are worst than african american names and makes it annoying to watch.

Keep watching m'man.  It becomes second nature in a hurry, especially during the first season.  The second ... eh, heh ... :D  The important thing to remember is that all but one of these seemingly new guys are younger brothers of Ned's best friend, King Robert Baratheon. 

You'll pick it up very quickly, I assure you.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »
Deadwood was Hbo's best show, but Game of Thrones is pretty good so far, I'd put it in the middle as far as HBO's recent productions.

It is a show I prefer to watch as a giant block rather than week to week, week to week I find I lose track of the characters and some plot points.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
Deadwood was Hbo's best show, but Game of Thrones is pretty good so far, I'd put it in the middle as far as HBO's recent productions.

It is a show I prefer to watch as a giant block rather than week to week, week to week I find I lose track of the characters and some plot points.

Whoa, Whoa Whoa.  Watch your mouth convict.  The WIRE.  Best show ever on TV.  EVER.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
I go -

1) Deadwood

2) The Wire

3) Boardwalk Empire

4) Oz

5) Sopranos

6) The Corner

7) Game of Thrones

---------------

I absolutely hate that new show "Girls".

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »

I absolutely hate that new show "Girls".

LOL, I don't think that new show was meant for straight men to watch.  It's HBO's pathetic attempt at jumping on the bridesmaids bandwagon that people actually think women are funny.  In real life they are all silver spooned jewish girls, each one with hollywood parents.  Fucking sad. 

I forgot to honorably mention one of the funniest shows of all time.  Eastbound and down.  Almost as funny as The increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret which was on IFC.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Whoa, Whoa Whoa.  Watch your mouth convict.  The WIRE.  Best show ever on TV.  EVER.

this

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
Was it weird I was turned on when dude was banging his sister from behind?  Anyway, once I got the hang of the names, it got really interesting. I DVR it every Sunday. Also, the Wire was/is hbo's best show.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »

I found this so I just had a wiki page up as I watched if I got confused. only needed ita  couple of times but it helped a lot.

I am a huge fan and I really enjoy it. Watched 10 episodes in 2 days

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
Lee Priest is the best one in the show, that little guy says whatever he wants and get alot of pussy. Great show. The series are the only HBO is good for.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »

Last episode was the best one ever!  Lot of gorey crazy ass shit going on!

Fucking Joffrey needs to be murdered brutally!

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
Just started reading the fourth book in the series. Apparently the author plans to wrap up the series with 7 books. So far he's only completed 5 so hopefully he'll finish the other two before hbo catches up with him.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »

Agree 100%!!!

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
Havent kept up with it but the bronn dude that the wee man travels with was badass does he get a more prominet role

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »

LOL what a simpleton!

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 02:33:12 AM »
Havent kept up with it but the bronn dude that the wee man travels with was badass does he get a more prominet role

Yes, he becomes King at one point, and rules together with a Queen (who is half White Walker half Shadow Demon) which is revealed later on.
He will also have a huge army of Wildlings (with the Three prominent Warlords Shagga, Dagga and Ragga at the helm) at his disposal, and will have a great battle against the Rainbow Guard which attack King's Landing on Unicorns.

This is quite a ways in the story, so this won't happen until Season 7 or 8 of the series.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
Yes, he becomes King at one point, and rules together with a Queen (who is half White Walker half Shadow Demon) which is revealed later on.
He will also have a huge army of Wildlings (with the Three prominent Warlords Shagga, Dagga and Ragga at the helm) at his disposal, and will have a great battle against the Rainbow Guard which attack King's Landing on Unicorns.

This is quite a ways in the story, so this won't happen until Season 7 or 8 of the series.

You fucking prick, you have to say spoiler alert before you post some shit like that.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
You fucking prick, you have to say spoiler alert before you post some shit like that.

None of that has happened, he's just joking.

I would stay away from this thread though if you don't want to be spoiled, a lot of shit goes down in book three particularly and some enterprising young Getbigger may likely spill the beans in this thread.

The first three books of this series are awesome.  The last two have been pretty shitty, they aren't "bad" compared to most of the crap in the genre but basically nothing interesting has happened.  Dany in particular does jack shit from the second book on.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
this

I've REALLY got to watch The Wire someday.  I initially dismissed it since one of its stars was the Kenny "Bricks" Wangler actor from OZ.  I knew that was short-sighted at the time, but meh ... I knew I could always catch up with the show later.

I honestly cannot agree that GOT ranks much below "Rome" or "Deadwood."  A little, perhaps, since those were truly epic.

But "The Sopranos"?  LOL.

It was very good, but a lot of it was extremely ham-fisted (e.g., the whole bit with the ducks and Tony's mother and, later, Tony melting down over Pie-O-My's death and killing guy Ralphie when, in reality, T was still incensed that Ralph brutally murdered a stripper that, deep down, Tony saw Meadow therein).  I loved the show but I thought it became bloated, a bit too big for its britches; it was almost as if its creators realized they had a smash hit on their hands and felt they could do no wrong :\

You know, sort of like George Lucas and Star Wars prequels or THE biggest egomaniac in Hollywood, James Cameron with his chick-flick "Titanic" and "Gone With Wolves In Space," err, I mean, "Avatar" :roll:

I'd have to put GOT ahead of OZ, too.  OZ was great but in a sense, it was a soap opera with naked asses, anal rape and lots of shanking.  Plus, sorry:  I'll give "Thrones" the nod for Roxanne McKee, Lena Headey and that sweet, milky-skinned thing portraying Dany.  Points for Tyrion's secret squeeze, some of Littlefinger's whores and even Stannis' hot witch bitch.  (Give the little girl portraying Arya, Maisie Williams, a couple of years and you'll have nerds wanting to sniff her panties the way Potter fans lusted after Emma Watson as she came of age.  Just saying -- no pedo :D .)

"Carnivale" could have toppled many on the list but its premature cancellation and bad planning (the writers admitted they made things up as they went along) dooms it to a top 10er.

All that shit aside, Tyrion is the man.  I love the way he owned that old fart from the Small Council (anyone recognize him?  He was General Veers in "The Empire Strikes Back" and Donovan in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade").  I also liked how he waltzed into that inbred shit's court and lead Sansa out, with stupid Joffrey looking on in anger and his "dog" Sandor secretly smiling :D

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: A Game of Thrones - best show on TV
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:13 AM »
The Sopranos was great

The show didn't get too big, it was so good they had to kill off everyone to ensure there were no more.
They did good stuff and couldn't top it, there's only so much you can do or go so far...

What about "rescue me" ? I thought it was pretty good