Author Topic: A Game of Thrones - best show on TV  (Read 307541 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2013, 03:53:49 AM »
Absolutely.  It's not even close.

If you ignore season 5.
Y

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2013, 04:02:10 AM »
If you ignore season 5.

5 was OK.  I think it seems worse than it is because it followed the ridiculously good seasons 3 and 4. 

The main storyline about the faked serial killings did suck but there was a lot of other stuff that was good.

I wanted to stand up and cheer when Slim Charles killed Cheese:  "That was for Joe."

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: A Game of Thrones - best show on TV
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2013, 05:31:46 AM »
Starz has "Black Sails" a pirate series coming out in January..it's based 20 years before "Treasure Island".

...hopefully it kicks ass 8)

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2013, 05:35:12 AM »
i started reading  a game of thrones books about 10 years ago.

the fourth and fifth book move very slowly and are nowhere as good as the first three books.

but tv can make any book look good.

would be awesome if they adapted the dark tower books into a series.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:30 AM »

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2013, 09:01:37 AM »
Great series I just buy the season on blue ray instead of paying for HBO.....I don't see the value in the channel but am willing to pay for this series

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
Watch The Wire, then.  Story arc is tight over the the entire run of the show. Shows what's possible with format in a way that other shows rarely even try much les pull off.

Very true. It almost was like the creator of the series had it all planned out before the first season even came out. The finale at the end of season 5 tied up everything a little too nicely but, other than that, it was excellent all five seasons and much better than anything else that has been on TV.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
It's a bloody lame soap opera. I'd rather watch Breaking Bad if I had to watch television at all.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
It's a bloody lame soap opera. I'd rather watch Breaking Bad if I had to watch television at all.

That would only make sense if breaking bad was actually on.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »

;D

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
Very true. It almost was like the creator of the series had it all planned out before the first season even came out. The finale at the end of season 5 tied up everything a little too nicely but, other than that, it was excellent all five seasons and much better than anything else that has been on TV.

Planning does help usually. It didn't help The Borgias: this third season is the last. It was cancelled even though it is a good show. It just doesn't have many people watching it.

GOT was planned out as well:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/06/hbo-greenlit-game-of-thrones-for-the-dumbest-of-reasons/

Game of Thrones is an unstoppable, money-making machine for HBO, and it will continue to be, at least until the show catches up to George R.R. Martin when he’s still in the middle of finishing the second sentence of The Winds of Winter. So it’s tough to remember a time when the show was considered a risky pick-up, because if there’s one thing that people hate, it’s TV shows with violence, moral complexities, bad ass female and male characters, dragons, boobs, and penises, all with a devoted built-in audience. HBO had never aired a fantasy series before, with the exception of Sex and the City (no way that many men would devote themselves to Samantha), and at first, the network’s programming president Michael Lombardo was skeptical of the show. Until one glorious day.

“We had this pilot script and we were budgeting it and scratching our head whether we should go ahead and greenlight this,” Lombardo recalls. “And we were trying to figure out the production challenges. We knew it had to be able to stand next to projects in this genre being done on the big screen yet with a more limited budget.” With the decision hanging over him, Lombardo escaped HBO’s Santa Monica office and hit the gym.

As it turned out, [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] go to the same gym.

“And I see Dan on one of the bicycles,” Lombardo says. “He was reading this dog-eared copy of the first book. And it had underscores and yellow highlights [on the pages]. And he did not know I saw him — I was standing on the side. And I thought, ‘We’re going to figure this out. These guys breathe this show in a way that doesn’t happen all the time.’ I found that little window into Dan in that quiet moment, that this is what he was doing in his free time. It was such an acknowledgment of everything I suspected about those guys, and it made me determined to figure this thing out.” (Via)

To recap, if Weiss hadn’t gone to the gym that day and called Pizza Hut instead, this never would’ve happened:

That should be the slogan for every gym in America. “Come here, lose weight, get an HBO show greenlit.”

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2013, 05:49:16 AM »
Surprised at Swedes reaction, I thought season 1 and 2 were slow paced and good but not great.Season 3 however was amazing and one of the best seasons of any show ever.Finally the big battles started and the big names getting taken down, shit getting real in all areas of the land.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2013, 05:57:35 AM »
Absolutely.  It's not even close.

Yes.  I would say it is a 1A to Mad Men's 1, with GOT being 2.  I would have had it only top five had it not been for this last season, which put it up above The Killing and Justified.  Sons of Anarchy has already jumped the shark, but I will continue to watch.  Boardwalk Empire is coming dangerously close as well.  We are living in a great time for cable television bros.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
Yes.  I would say it is a 1A to Mad Men's 1, with GOT being 2.  I would have had it only top five had it not been for this last season, which put it up above The Killing and Justified.  Sons of Anarchy has already jumped the shark, but I will continue to watch.  Boardwalk Empire is coming dangerously close as well.  We are living in a great time for cable television bros.

HBO has done good for a while.  Wire, Sopranos, 6 feet under was surprisingly amazing.  One of the funniest shows ever in Larry David.  Good shit man

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
This guy will spend most of his career playing kings and princes. If the looks fit...

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/game-of-thrones-star-richard-madden-to-play-cinderella-prince/#/0

‘Game of Thrones’ star Richard Madden to play ‘Cinderella’ prince

Let’s hope that Richard Madden has an easier time wearing a crown in “Cinderella” than he does in “Game of Thrones.”

Madden, who plays King in the North Robb Stark in the hit HBO series, has been cast as the glass slipper gal’s prince in Disney’s upcoming live-action “Cinderella” film, the studio announced Wednesday.

“Cinderella,” slated for a 2014 release, is set to star “Downton Abbey” actress Lily James as the rags-to-riches heroine and Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine, her evil stepmother. Kenneth Branagh is directing, and the screenplay was penned by Aline Brosh McKenna (“The Devil Wears Prada”).

Simon Kinberg, who was recently recruited to write a stand-alone “Star Wars” spinoff film, is a producer on “Cinderella.” Kinberg and McKenna (the two are friends) hatched the plan for a live-action update of the classic fairy tale.

“We were thinking of titles and characters that we hadn’t really seen done in a modern, live-action way, and we were kind of stunned that Cinderella hasn’t really been done that way, as a traditional, loyal telling of the story,” Kinberg told Hero Complex. “She’s a great, iconic character, a character that I loved when I was a kid, and I loved the Disney animated movie.”

Kinberg said that people’s familiarity with the story of Cinderella will work in the film’s favor.

“It’s a funny thing ’cause her name, a little bit like Sherlock Holmes or Star Wars or these other franchises, it’s one of those names that people all around the world know the name and intrinsically know the story,” said Kinberg. “It’s just an identifiable, very rootable underdog story.”

Meanwhile, Madden marches steadily on to the end of “Game of Thrones” Season 3, in which Robb Stark’s position as King in the North grows more and more precarious.

“He’s so honest, and he follows his heart so much,” Madden told Hero Complex contributor Patrick Day last year. “He’s in tragic situations, and there’s so much pressure on him, but, my God, he’s so strong.”

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
Looks like this season the dragons start eating people.

Game of Thrones Season 4: Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2014, 05:34:11 AM »
When does season 3 on blu ray come out?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
Looks like this season the dragons start eating people.

Game of Thrones Season 4: Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing

OMFG, I can't wait for Season 4. I savor each episode.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »
This show is gold....that is all.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2014, 07:36:13 AM »
Dem dat dere Dragons seem to be Teenagers now and is definately a threat to Kings Landing, but not fully grown yet.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
Damn it looks like my girl is going to start losing control of her dragons.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/06/game-of-thrones-season-3-finale-starks-before-after-gifs/

The Starks before and after

That scene hella destroyed me.

The way he said mother...and looked at her. Oh man...dem feels.  :-\
A

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »
HBO and Cinemax channels are on free preview from April 4 through 7. Those of you who can see it can watch the marathons of the previous seasons and the season 4 premiere on Sunday night.