Author Topic: Which dog breed......advice needed  (Read 21474 times)

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
Re: Which dog breed......advice needed
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

End of thread...

Seriously, have two of them and they are awesome.  Very smart and listen well. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
You got one!!!  I hope you plan to give him/her the kind of exercise (mental & physical) they need to be well balanced.

I believe the Border Collie is considered #1, but the Aussie is right up there too.

Yes, I'll be in the best shape of my life with this dog. Very loving, great temperament but not good around other dogs when we walk him. He goes crazy and tries to attack other dogs. Not sure in a vicious way or not.  Any suggestions?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

YES!!!

Check out this video:
[/youtube]

I sincerely believe that overall there isn't a better breed of dog in the world.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
There's so many nice breeds... 8)

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
Our dog, a bastard dog-of-Bordeaux, is old and I think she won't make 2013. Makes me sad, cause she's been terrific.
After a while, I want another dog.

Any suggestions about which breed....?

Large Poodle- playful, smart, non-shedding fur and good temperament. Great dogs!

NN

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
..They get a lot of looks in public, but scare just as many people by looking at them. that's my 2 cents. I wont be switching breeds, thats forsure. ;D

Why would a non-criminal, mentally healthy person have a dog that scares people?

NN

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
Well you don't need to worry about that with a poodle... 8)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
Yes, I'll be in the best shape of my life with this dog. Very loving, great temperament but not good around other dogs when we walk him. He goes crazy and tries to attack other dogs. Not sure in a vicious way or not.  Any suggestions?

How old is he?  Is he neutered?  Not that it matters, but a basic obedience class would be a good place to start (often offered at the humane society).  Even if you're happy with how your "training" is going, it's good for socialization and the trainer can offer tips on your dog's behavior.  He needs to learn how to properly walk with distractions (other dogs, bikers, skateboards, kids, etc.).  He needs to learn walking on a leash is a different type of "play"/exercise than chasing a fresbie off leash.  Do not try to "socialize" an un-socialized dog at a dog park.  It will just stress you out (and your "energy" will transfer to the dog) and could have dire consequences for him or another dog.

What's his name?
:

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
Olde english bulldogge.  Same as an english except the breed was started over by a geneticist that lamented their health problems (eyes, breathing, lack of stamina).  He made them to be like the victorian era bulldogs that had a more athleticism.  Modern enhlish billdogs have a high amount of pug in their breeding or something like that.  These dogs are cool as fuck.  Regular english bulldogs are cool as fuck as well.all personality.  Olde english are a little taller.  I want to get an olde english and an english and name them arnold and franco.

Awesome dogs.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
Well you don't need to worry about that with a poodle... 8)

No, and thats great. I have a medium size poodle and I cut his fur real short all over. He doesn't even look like a poodle. Very athletic! I run with him and have actually run 18 kilometers at about 13 km/h average with him. No problems, and as the dog is friendly, cute and non-threatening, the ladies live him ;-).

NN

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
we're getting one in a few months and cant decide which of these is bestest. they're all awesome, big dogs that look chunky.. and I love one with a head like a bear

tibeten mastiff

Rottie

caucasian shepard

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »
No, and thats great. I have a medium size poodle and I cut his fur real short all over. He doesn't even look like a poodle. Very athletic! I run with him and have actually run 18 kilometers at about 13 km/h average with him. No problems, and as the dog is friendly, cute and non-threatening, the ladies live him ;-).

NN
If he looks like this Bay will likey you as well..... 8)

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »
Grandpa was a Shepard in the mountains of Albania as a young man. This is the type of dog he had. Tough hearty dogs. It's awesome seeing these different breeds.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

NN

This is my poodle. I nice way of showing how secure I am with regard to my own masculinity ;-)... (or at least I cling to that illusion)

No, seriously, I got the poodle to avoid having a shedding dog and I was highly sceptical. But the dog is great- the only negative thing is that he has a very strong watchdog instinct. He does not bark much, but when there is someone around the house he goes crazy. We don't need an alarm. ;-)

NN

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »
If he looks like this Bay will likey you as well..... 8)

Haha, thats terrible- poor dog! ;-/. But mine looks different...

NN

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
Sev takes his dog with him on vacation....

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
i envy you, I want nothing more than a dog :(

I'm not complaining i have an awesome son - maybe when I finally buy a house I get a dog for the moment we are nor here nor there it wouldn't be too good to have a dog.

I will say that our dogs are pretty spoiled. Danny, the big black dog is actually my daughter's dog. However, he has always lived at our house. When my daughter moved to Texas with her husband and son, she was advised not to take the dog because there is a huge heartworm problem in Texas. Lucy, the little dog has lived with us since I bought her as a puppy when she was 8 weeks old. These two pups are practically attached at the hip, so to speak. I think you can tell that from the photo of them.

These days, owning a dog can be an expensive proposition. An average visit to the vet for their annual checkup, any shots they need and a toenail clip generally runs around $100 or more each. Dog food can be expensive. Our dogs have a bunch of stuffed toys with squeakers in a basket in the dining room. As I look around the dining room and living room they've typically scatter all their toys. I haven't yet figured out how to get them to pick up after themselves.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »
I got 2 chihuahua's.....sisters....
I trained them to go in a litter box when they were babies....a life saver in January when its minus whatever.
They're fearless.....good watch dogs...of course they would get destroyed by most breeds but they won't back down.
I've had some danes in the past but big dogs cost a lot to feed and they dog holes you could fall into.
Good luck Dutch

Gay as it sounds i couldnt agree more. My sister has one and he is the funniest, nuttiest dog ive ever met. And your right - he never backs down to anything!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
Great dogs in this thread.

I believe the Border Collie is considered #1, but the Aussie is right up there too.

Yes

R

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
cant go wrong with these...

German Shepherd:

Alaskan Malamute:

Siberian Husky

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
a good dog will kill little kids at the park

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
I'll put the 'Captain' up against any breed!

;D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
Grandpa was a Shepard in the mountains of Albania as a young man. This is the type of dog he had. Tough hearty dogs. It's awesome seeing these different breeds.

I see your family is prone to Molossers...

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
Irish Wolfhound.

Huge dog, gentle giant.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
I'll put the 'Captain' up against any breed!

;D
My friend had a pug named Winston Churchill.
He didnt make it.....