Author Topic: Crossfit  (Read 17692 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Crossfit
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:29:02 AM »
Not understanding all the hate on crossfit. If it's fun and yields results then why do people bash it so much?  Can anyone provide some insight?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Crossfit
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:55:59 AM »
some bash it because they have weak minds

some bash it because they are too weak/out of shape to do it

some bash it because they have seen a few goofy videos of retards doing it wrong on youtube

i've done a few crossfit workouts... while it's not for me on the whole i have incorporated some of the key movements into my existing workouts

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:01:35 AM »
Coach routinely posts videos of CF trainers using the most horrific and legitimately dangerous of form on their exercises.
I'll admit that it does piss me off to see a CF "trainer"/"instructor" standing right next to these hazardous trainees do nothing but allow them, encourage them, and congratulate them when the whole "Keystone Cops" scene is over. The icing on the cake is when all of the loons gather in a group high-five afterwards, blowing smoke & sunshine, and come inches away from engaging in a full on circle-jerk while singing koombaya.

With that out of the way, I believe that - done properly - Crossfit is an effective workout that demands AND improves strength, coordination, and conditioning. Crossfit's way of training requires careful instruction and execution to be done correctly, and I think it's quickly become a fad that has attracted a lot of clueless people who wrongfully "think" they are training, when all they are working on is an injury.

strongrunbox

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »
Kipping is a fucking joke

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
Kipping is a fucking joke

there's a reason for it... especially for newbies, kipping pullups allow people to do many in a workout...  remember that crossfitters ain't bbers and they are not trying to be

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
Kipping should never be confused with a pull up or chin up. A typical pullup is a dead hang pulling up till the top of the chest comes close to the bar. Very few can do 15-20 of these. The kind where you stop when your chin is near the bar is easier. Various kips will let a guy do 30 to 50 but they should never brag that's the amount of pull ups they can do.

Crossfit isn't for me. High rep olympic lifting for this 50 something guy sounds like an injury waiting to happen. I could never put Crossfit down because at it's highest level the guys are really amazing athletes. At the lowest level is can be comical.  Many bodybuilders put down crossfit, p90X, and stuff like Insanity when in truth it would kick their ass.  A program is only as hard as the effort put into it.

Hell body weight exercises could knock the shit out of the top ten Olympia contestants.  It's all about how hard you work. I read on the US Navy site that was giving advice to Navy Seal canidates. One asked what kind of weight workout would be a good preparation for the training. The response back was there was no weight training in Buds.  If they can kick the ass of elite military men with such things as burpees, running, and pushups why do guys on this board think it's a piece of cake?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
well said

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
It's nice to have some experience and intelligence on this board.

strongrunbox

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »
there's a reason for it... especially for newbies, kipping pullups allow people to do many in a workout...  remember that crossfitters ain't bbers and they are not trying to be

You mean to make them feel better about themselves?  Is it like giving a trophy for participation?  I'm not a bodybuilder, nor am I trying to be.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 04:35:56 AM »
You mean to make them feel better about themselves?  Is it like giving a trophy for participation?  I'm not a bodybuilder, nor am I trying to be.

maybe... if that's the case and it makes them happy, who cares?

the crossfit argument is that it helps 'keep it moving'... crossfit is based on high intensity

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »
There are some people who legitimately train for the different crossfit events, which are legitimately challenging.
And, in some ways, it's more of a "sport" than pure bodybuilding. At least there's a "performance contest" component to it.

It's just hard to legitimize a sport in which you see the athletes using 10lb plates that are purposely designed to look like 45's. You can't help but draw certain conclusions about that. In some ways it's a bit like pro-wrestling: most of those guys are in tremendous shape, it's hard to do, it carries a certain danger, and it's fun to watch, but... in the end, it's still just make-believe fighting.

My point is that Crossfit (proper) does require skill, strength, stamina, and coordination. But, there are certain aspects that will lead people to dismiss it from the ranks of its physical counterparts.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »
There are some people who legitimately train for the different crossfit events, which are legitimately challenging.
And, in some ways, it's more of a "sport" than pure bodybuilding. At least there's a "performance contest" component to it.

It's just hard to legitimize a sport in which you see the athletes using 10lb plates that are purposely designed to look like 45's. You can't help but draw certain conclusions about that. In some ways it's a bit like pro-wrestling: most of those guys are in tremendous shape, it's hard to do, it carries a certain danger, and it's fun to watch, but... in the end, it's still just make-believe fighting.

My point is that Crossfit (proper) does require skill, strength, stamina, and coordination. But, there are certain aspects that will lead people to dismiss it from the ranks of its physical counterparts.

kinda how most straight men find bodybuilding VERY gay as it involves over-steroided men walking around with thongs on...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »

kinda how most straight men find bodybuilding VERY gay as it involves over-steroided men walking around with thongs on...

Yeah, some people over-analyze things.
 ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »

Yeah, some people over-analyze things.
 ;D

strongrunbox

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
Cross Fit:  "I play real sports, I'm not trying to become the best at exercising"

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 07:01:22 AM »
For me the whole crossfit thing is like a lot of things..it aint new just "recycled" stuff .. there has been similar training and i can say 100% by the Military. It will get you in shape..no doubt about that BUT do you want to look like a surfer Dude or Bodybuilder ? I would not put crossfit down but like a lot of "new" trends it's over rated. If you are a Martial arts guy/Gal then why not do it?.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »
Kind of agree with Donny, Cross Fitness is just another trendy name for much older training methods. And like other trendy things, it being somewhat popular today, may be all but gone tomorrow. Remember when Spinning was "IT" as far as getting in shape workouts were concern. Just to mention, I was (and some consider...still) a Surfer Dude.

Any form of stamina training (stamina meaning endurance plus strength) could be just as well done with a BB/DB if the workouts are approached with a little thought and knowledge about exercise.  And with the same good results.

Best thing about Cross Fitness, On GB, is the Cross Fitness girls. T-nation also has there find examples of outstanding women. Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
damn right dude.... crossfit chicks are hot

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
I'm not a fan of it because of the large number of douches in my local area that do it and have absolutely shitty form on their exercises. Begging for injury.

That being said, the truly dedicated are athletes indeed and their physical condition reflects it. I've done it a couple of times and the shit wiped me out so I will definitely not say that it's easy by any means. Also, there are a lot of hot women (shitty exercise form and all).

I do enjoy the shit out of crossfit fail videos.
l

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
I do enjoy the shit out of crossfit fail videos.

me too  ;D