Author Topic: Tennis elbow  (Read 10790 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Tennis elbow
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:43:56 AM »
Is there a quick (or any?) cure for tendonitis in the elbow?  The lower part of my tricep that connects to my elbow is seriously screwed up.  I thought I could shake it off and train through it, but it's getting worse not better.  It is at a point now that it hurts when I reach to pick up a glass of water or when I wake up in the morning and extend my arm.  Aside from avoiding tricep exercises is there anything else I can do?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Tennis elbow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Ice. Rest.

There's a couple threads on the training board covering this. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
How long does it take to fully recover?  Can one train through this or do I have to totally avoid any kind of tricep work?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
How long does it take to fully recover?  Can one train through this or do I have to totally avoid any kind of tricep work?
I dealt with mine for months before I quit being stubborn and iced it. I still trained light while I iced it, only took a couple weeks to clear up completely.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
What is the ice treatment exactly?  Put an ice pack on it once (twice?) a day for 30 minutes to an hour?  Is this right after a workout or on your days off?  At bed time?  Do you combine this with any pain medication?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »
What is the ice treatment exactly?  Put an ice pack on it once (twice?) a day for 30 minutes to an hour?  Is this right after a workout or on your days off?  At bed time?  Do you combine this with any pain medication?
I put ice on mine for about 15-20 min at a time as often as I could, about once an hour. I take Excedrin or Aleve for pain.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
Ice will reduce swelling around an area and can also be effective  on pain (numbing action).. Heat will increase the blood flow, which in return brings in more healing elements to the injured section. Just think..Cold-contracting.  Heat- expanding.

Probably the more common treatment is to alternated cold & heat, 10-15 minutes each. Twice a day usually. Still some disagreement, from trainers, about this protocol. Another suggestion might be to use a heat rub/lotion/patch during the day. Insure that a steady supply of healing blood will reach the injured area. In workout, this can also work, plus keeping the coverup, as long sleeve sweats, etc.

A tennis elbow can mean many things; nerve damage, rupture/tear, joint/muscle insert problems. Common, and usually most effected, is complete rest for at least 2-3 weeks, depending on age of the person. Could try to work around it, as most people do, depending on the extremes of the potential injury. If still lingering problems, than probably will need and X-ray or such.  good luck.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »
try this exercise but go light to warm up, if none to little pain add weight.close grip ez curl tricep presses. or the cable ext across bench go light.
F

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
Thanks.  Still suffering here... have been avoiding the gym :(

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »
it takes 1 month.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
A popular belief is that one reason it takes elbows so long to heal is that the area has very little blood supply.

I've known several physical therapists (and almost married one).
Commonly perscribed rehab remedies for epicondylitis include stretching and light strengthening/mobility exercises.
As JPM mentions, ice therapy is a highly effective tool. The alternating hot/cold method is excellent for flushing fresh blood through the area, and I believe you're supposed to end with a cold session for some reason. I can try to verify that if you're interested.

I honestly think that doing nothing at all is the WORST thing you can do. It's important to keep that tissue loose.
I underwent cortisone shots and iontophoresis treatments for my elbows, but in the end, time, physical rehab, and smarter training were the most effective forms of treatment.

You can't make blanket statements as to how long your symptoms will persist, but they seldom go away within a week's time. From what you describe, it sounds like you may be entering the chronic stage, which unfortunately, requires more of everything mentioned above to heal.

I would NOT continue training as you were, though. It is possible for scar tissue to develop in that tendon sheath. Then, you're looking at a whole new set of problems.

Good luck, friend!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
It's a couple months later and only now can I start training with this arm again!  It still hurts but is way better than it was. 

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
It's a couple months later and only now can I start training with this arm again!  It still hurts but is way better than it was. 

Try training with bands and avoid things like skullcrushers/tricep extensions.
In general any exercise where your upper arm is quasi perpendicular to the floor and the lower arm moves free weight upwards seems to overly tenderize the joint.