Author Topic: Watching these gymnast dudes makes me wonder..  (Read 24538 times)

5antasy

• Getbig II
  • Forever cutting
Watching these gymnast dudes makes me wonder..
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:53 PM »
..about the merits of only training arms once a week with minimal sets. These dudes have humongous arms, and its because they pound them every day. Arms have always been my most lagging body part. I wonder if doing 2 or 3 days a week would help.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Watching these gymnast dudes makes me wonder..
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
..about the merits of only training arms once a week with minimal sets. These dudes have humongous arms, and its because they pound them every day. Arms have always been my most lagging body part. I wonder if doing 2 or 3 days a week would help.

Arms are my strong suit.  And I attribute this to the fact that when I was just starting out in this whole lifting thing I used to train them 2-3 days a week.

Your theory isn't all that far off in my opinion!

5antasy

• Getbig II
  • Forever cutting
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »
How long will it take to tell, in your opinion? 4 weeks?

Right now I train 4 days a week.

Monday: Bis, Tris
Wednesday: Chest, Shoulders
Friday: Back, Traps, Rear Delts
Saturday: Legs

I'm thinking I will add a couple of sets of bis to Friday, and Tris to Wednesday. Do this 4 weeks and see what happens.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »

You might be on to something. Try it for 12 weeks and see what happens. Yes, I'm serious.
a

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »
Their arms look bigger because they don't train the rest of their body. I think it looks odd the way they have developed delts and arms combined with chicken legs.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »
How long will it take to tell, in your opinion? 4 weeks?

Right now I train 4 days a week.

Monday: Bis, Tris
Wednesday: Chest, Shoulders
Friday: Back, Traps, Rear Delts
Saturday: Legs

I'm thinking I will add a couple of sets of bis to Friday, and Tris to Wednesday. Do this 4 weeks and see what happens.

Nothing in this sport take 4 weeks... try a few months!  Be consistent and be patient!

For the record, I currently train arms only once a week.... but 10 years ago when I first started lifting, I was training them 2-3 times a week, actually I was probably training all body parts 2 times a week! (for like an entire year)

Good luck bud!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »
you'll never come to a conclusion, unless you accept the truth: your arms aren't a strong part.

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »
Their arms look bigger because they don't train the rest of their body. I think it looks odd the way they have developed delts and arms combined with chicken legs.

they're also midgets.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:59:17 AM »

You might be on to something but you'll never be able to fully duplicate the amount of stress those guys put on their arms, baseball players put on their forearms or speed skaters put on their legs just by the sheer volume of working out the muscles for hours a day, years on end.

The 3 or 4 guys I knew growing up who used the old school wheelchairs cause they were crippled (not this motorized "Rascal" bullshit) all had freaky strength in their arms and would pawn most bodybuilders in simple, functional upper body strength tests. Most of that simply came from climbing their ass out of bed in the morning, getting out of their chair to take a shit, and just basic wheeling around.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:52 AM »
Like smolov for arms. Interesante

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »
i also was afraid of "overtraining" for years but i really noticed my arms improved when i did them 3 times a week eventually.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:07:12 AM »
None of these guys spend minutes OR hours doing curls.

They are the size/shape they are without doing any isolation exercises. Quite the opposite in fact.

So, in my humble opinion, it doesn't matter if you do more OR less curls - it wont make you look like that.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:22 AM »
they're also midgets.

So are the majority of bbers :D

OneManGang

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 02:24:47 AM »
....and not only do they have super muscular arms, they also posess REAL and FUNCTIONAL strength, which bodybuilders don't have.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 02:55:51 AM »
I think training arms or any body part 2 x a week is fine. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:08:13 AM »
....and not only do they have super muscular arms, they also posess REAL and FUNCTIONAL strength, which bodybuilders don't have.

Exactly.  They're body developers.  Amazing athletes.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 05:22:34 AM »
Functional for Gymnastics, last time I checked a Crucifix performed on same rings hanging from a roof wasn't a requirement in life, nor is swinging round and round on some monkey bars - the fact is the human body develops in relation to whatever activity it does regularly.  Modern Life doesn't require much strength or fitness for that matter.
V

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 05:24:03 AM »
them how's come distance runners have twig legs?

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 05:28:05 AM »
Haven't really been training arms directly the past few months.

Been focusing on the compound lifts, and think my arms have improved, especially triceps.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
Haven't really been training arms directly the past few months.

Been focusing on the compound lifts, and think my arms have improved, especially triceps.

what kind of strength increases have you had?

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 05:38:26 AM »
Functional for Gymnastics, last time I checked a Crucifix performed on same rings hanging from a roof wasn't a requirement in life, nor is swinging round and round on some monkey bars - the fact is the human body develops in relation to whatever activity it does regularly.  Modern Life doesn't require much strength or fitness for that matter.

As opposed to bbers having no use of their muscles, get winded walking up a flight of stairs, huffing and puffing after a set of barbell curls and only good use of muscles is picking up a syringe and vail and injecting yourself ::) but yeah I think gymnasts, like basketball players, soccer, football have more functional real "athlete" strength

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 05:50:15 AM »
them how's come distance runners have twig legs?
Muscle wasting, my guess. It's extreme just like bbing is extreme musculature.
And I have read that male marathon runners have the lowest T-levels of all athletes. As far as the women, I don't know, but I figure that their estrogen levels are low as well.
Plus, they have that "skinny-fat" look as well. Flat muscles, like the Spanish greyhounds.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:08 AM »
Muscle wasting, my guess. It's extreme just like bbing is extreme musculature.
And I have read that male marathon runners have the lowest T-levels of all athletes. As far as the women, I don't know, but I figure that their estrogen levels are low as well.
Plus, they have that "skinny-fat" look as well. Flat muscles, like the Spanish greyhounds.

that's true, test levels drop after 35 miles or so of weekly running, and marathoners are known to put in well over 100 miles weekly :o

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 06:04:45 AM »

Pretty sure you got a boner while watching these athletes.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »
Those gymnast dudes are pretty impressive, I would like to build my physique to that level except I like food and I am over 5 ft tall.
time under tension