Author Topic: 4 hours sleep and great workout?  (Read 2612 times)

tweak05

• Getbig II
  • Get Big Baby
4 hours sleep and great workout?
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:53:59 AM »
so yesterday I woke up at 6 in the morning for no reason, I was only asleep for 4 hours so it made me pretty angry. So I get up pissed, end up going to the gym around 9, do HIIT for 20 minutes no problem and do the most intense delt/trap workout I think I've ever done. I just had so much energy, I did an extra 7 sets just for delts and was drop setting every set with db shrugs. I just dont understand, but I think I got away with it because I'm so young. 18 can have its advantages. Anybody else ever done something like this?

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: 4 hours sleep and great workout?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 10:02:27 AM »
Anybody else ever done something like this?

Sure.  Every now and then I get less sleep than usual, and wake up feeling better and more energized than if I sleep longer.  In my experience though, when it happens "every now and then", I'm fine.  But if it becomes constant, (ie getting four or five hours EVERY night), I end up feeling like crap after a while.  I also find that sleeping much more than eight hours a night leaves me feeling groggy and run down the next day.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 10:47:40 AM »
Actually, after consistently getting 6 hours of sleep a night for several nights in a row, i'm finding it really difficult to sleep all night.  Further, i'm feeling tired all the time.  Maybe i'm overtraining, but i only train 4 days a week!
:-)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 11:06:05 AM »
yep, one of my best workouts. was the time i didnt never sleep at all.  the only part the sucks is when you crush. nervous energy, you gotta love it.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 02:24:45 PM »
My personal max on the bench press (595lbs) was achieved after working a straight-through 60 hour shift with no sleep.  Go figure.

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 03:57:09 PM »
That happened to me too. One time I stayed up all night studying to two, back to back, midterms the next day. Right after the midterms I did a back workout. Usually I'll start off with five sets of bodyweight wide grip chins but on that day it seemed that it was to light and I strapped on a 25 and did a set of six good reps. I had some good strength that day
Don't let em fool ya

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 04:28:27 AM »
Oh yeah, I should also mention that 2 days later, I fell asleep WHILE running on a treadmill and got shot out of the machine like a tube of toothpaste!

negative51

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 05:22:21 PM »
It does happen.  IMO what occurs is you hit a few deep cycles during the shorter sleep leaving the body just as rested had you slept 8 hours (same number of deep cycles).  The body probably somehow regenerated the same ATP and therefore your workout did not suffer whatsoever.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 08:25:09 AM »
sometimes it gives you a natural high

but

it's dangerous to run many days without sleep

a damn good way to overtrain.  that's what happened to me.

now i'm on the verge of being sick, have a damaged rotator cuff, have stopped growing, and am generally tired.  not getting sleep = terrible, terrible idea.
:-)