Author Topic: Who Squats? I'm not doing that bullshit anymore...  (Read 43195 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Who Squats? I'm not doing that bullshit anymore...
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:26 AM »
I squat on the smith mach. takes away the danger of bad form squat or control loss...plus so much better on the back. Also I go deep on low weight and get shallower as the weight goes up.

No and no.
Just as with regular squats, you can arch your back too much, move your hips too much backwards, move your knees in the wrong direction and so on... It's false safety.
You get much more feedback from your body when you perform regular squats. This feedback helps you to improve your technique (i.e. when you listen to those signals!).

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »
No and no.
Just as with regular squats, you can arch your back too much, move your hips too much backwards, move your knees in the wrong direction and so on... It's false safety.
You get much more feedback from your body when you perform regular squats. This feedback helps you to improve your technique (i.e. when you listen to those signals!).
Completely agree with this.  The real reason anyone chooses the smith machine is that it is easier to do.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
Completely agree with this.  The real reason anyone chooses the smith machine is that it is easier to do.

I started doing the smith mach. after my shoulder surgery, I cannot get my arm to grip the bar close enough to not pinch my hands when I re rack on regular squats. And I don't like front squats. Leg press for that.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
too bad some of us can't keep good tight form on them :'(

i can only do half squats (bout 2 or 3 inches short of parallel) coz if i go any deeper than that my form goes to shit and i end up doing a gayne snorten style good morning :D :D :D 

Lower the weight until you get it right, even if it means doing the empty bar. I always warm up with an empty bar 20 -25 reps. Do at least three warmup sets.  Always go low, after a while your knees will feel much better than putting the brakes on to stop half way.  This causes much more stress then sinking right down. Most people can't squat because they go too heavy and are afraid of looking like a pussy, check out Musclecenters vid, pretty good form.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
High-rep squats are the best exercise imho.

I don't see the point of heavy squats unless you're a power-lifting athlete.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »
some of us just like exercising. i feel bad for people who only go into the gym because of what they're hoping to accomplish through an activity they hate.  :-\

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »

This is what I have/use, enough for anyone training naturally, can do both hams/calves and quads. 400bucks, semi pro grade material. Doesnt take too much space.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »

say what you want, she looked good at that time. Too bad she let herself go so bad. Again, what s the point if you dont keep training all life long.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Lower the weight until you get it right, even if it means doing the empty bar. I always warm up with an empty bar 20 -25 reps. Do at least three warmup sets.  Always go low, after a while your knees will feel much better than putting the brakes on to stop half way.  This causes much more stress then sinking right down. Most people can't squat because they go too heavy and are afraid of looking like a pussy, check out Musclecenters vid, pretty good form.

i've had 2 surgeries on my left knee due to kneecap dislocation from playing b-ball, so i'd rather not risk another injury there, but the funny thing is... a dude i knew who played football for The Ohio State University (and he was a standout player back in the day, in fact) had 5 surgeries on 1 knee and 2 on the other and he loaded up the bar to 500 pounds and knocked out 10 good deep full reps with it, and upon finishing this he laughed in my face and said "only 2 surgeries, eh?" 8) 8) 8)

this dude also benched 600 pounds shirt free, fucking phenom was he :o

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
Ass to the grass with a 2 second pause at the bottom last night, 330lb for 10.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
if you don't compete, then you can remove squats and bench press from your routine.  what's the point of a pec tear or jacked up knees?  my legs and chest respond well from machines.

LOL, this is about the best advice I've heard on squats and benches.....honestly.

The older I get the less I care about being "HARDCORE" LOL....that's for kid's and ego training...been there, done that.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
High-rep squats are the best exercise imho.

I don't see the point of heavy squats unless you're a power-lifting athlete.

Guy looks great....you have to hand it to him.
Powerlifting, usually for the guy with poor bbing genetics...not always, but usually.
N

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
High reps with natural form, until about 2 months ago.  :-\

I don't give a shit about 'proper' form.  I don't move enough weight to worry about it.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »
why do people think squat, bench, and deadlift are so "dangerous"?  everyone talks about them like they will necessarily lead to injuries.

if anything, these are the lifts that people actually care about numbers for, so you're likely to try to lift more than you should... other than that, i don't see any reason people should assume these lifts will cripple them, any more than a machine lift.

it's just something weak guys say so they can pretend that they're strong and use machines.  I see it all the time.  "I don't squat because its too hard on my knees."  Meanwhile, they rep out half reps with 8 plates a side on the hack squat machine.  I always want to stroll over and ask them, "And that's not fucking hard on your knees??!!!"

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
do lighter weight and always do box squats so you can rest at the bottom or use a bench, i think it helps you focus on the glutes and hams more rather than beating up your knee

I do box squats using a low stool. It helps me insure I am going low enough. I don't rest at the bottom of the exercise though. For the time being, I am not able to do any weighted leg movements because I just had knee surgery. I am not even supposed to walk putting weight on my right leg for about a month. What I am doing is high reps of weight free leg extensions and leg lifts; this is with doctor's orders.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »
I love squats. Deeeeep and heavy (heavy for me).. My butt from 'em looks fabulous.. sometimes I get aroused myself just mirin' it in the mirror.

;D ;D ;D

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
squats are great - but avoid going to failure as your form suffers and that can lead to injuries. Instead go for extra sets at sub-failure (like a powerlifter does).

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »
if you don't compete, then you can remove squats and bench press from your routine.  what's the point of a pec tear or jacked up knees?  my legs and chest respond well from machines.
Aren't you on the list of people that don't even lift?

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
Some facts:
 - 99% have no idea how to squat. 2.5 months in USA and I saw literally ONE guy who squatted correct way. Ex powerliter, who woulod have thought, lol.
 - ATG is safer than half squat.
 - Squats make every weakness or imbalance in your body surface. If you've got tight glutes - you're gonna have buttwink. 99.9% of squatters suffered from buttwink, including me. It's recurring illness, you have to constantly fight it. 90% of people don't even know they have buttwink. They feel pain in their back and that's it. They then figure squats damaged their back. In fact, back involvement is minimal if someone is flexible and have perfect squatting form.
 - Squats STRENTHEN your knees. They build muscles in balanced way and it PROTECTS joints.
 - If you're afraid of injuries just use moderate weights. 220lbs for 12 reps done ass to grass, pause at the bottom (remember to keep your quads flexed when you pause!), 4 sets will destroy about everyone's legs without destroying their knees.
 - Machines hurt knees more than squats. The reason machines are deemed "safer" is because people are more likely to let their ego go and use lower weight and full ROM.
 - Low bar is less safe than high bar.
 - High bar won't develop big ass in 60% of cases. I have tiny ass. Some Olympic weightlifters I know have tiny ass. It's genetic, like everything.
 - Smith machine squats are knee KILLER.
 - Belt should be avoided at all costs. We are only human but belt is only for ego. Drop 20-30kg and leave belt at home.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
Just for something different, I did two sets of super-slow barbell squats  (10 seconds positive, 10 seconds negative) with 225lbs on Tuesday, and my quads are still on fire two days later.  Just two friggin' sets.   I can barely get myself off the toilet after taking a shit, my legs are so damn sore.  

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2013, 03:57:23 AM »
I started doing the smith mach. after my shoulder surgery, I cannot get my arm to grip the bar close enough to not pinch my hands when I re rack on regular squats. And I don't like front squats. Leg press for that.

I have the same stiffness in my shoulders, always had. If your gym has plates with holes, you can grab them instead of the bar.
As a no-brainer, try some flexibility exercises for your delts before you squat, bands are great for this.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2013, 06:14:07 AM »
I have the same stiffness in my shoulders, always had. If your gym has plates with holes, you can grab them instead of the bar.
As a no-brainer, try some flexibility exercises for your delts before you squat, bands are great for this.

Thanks I'll try it.....our plates have holes....I stretch before but ROM just isn't there yet.

sexpert

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2013, 10:34:21 AM »
Ass to the grass with a 2 second pause at the bottom last night, 330lb for 10.
sure you ugly Little midget :-\

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Some facts:
 - 99% have no idea how to squat. 2.5 months in USA and I saw literally ONE guy who squatted correct way. Ex powerliter, who woulod have thought, lol.
 - ATG is safer than half squat.
 - Squats make every weakness or imbalance in your body surface. If you've got tight glutes - you're gonna have buttwink. 99.9% of squatters suffered from buttwink, including me. It's recurring illness, you have to constantly fight it. 90% of people don't even know they have buttwink. They feel pain in their back and that's it. They then figure squats damaged their back. In fact, back involvement is minimal if someone is flexible and have perfect squatting form.
 - Squats STRENTHEN your knees. They build muscles in balanced way and it PROTECTS joints.
 - If you're afraid of injuries just use moderate weights. 220lbs for 12 reps done ass to grass, pause at the bottom (remember to keep your quads flexed when you pause!), 4 sets will destroy about everyone's legs without destroying their knees.
 - Machines hurt knees more than squats. The reason machines are deemed "safer" is because people are more likely to let their ego go and use lower weight and full ROM.
 - Low bar is less safe than high bar.
 - High bar won't develop big ass in 60% of cases. I have tiny ass. Some Olympic weightlifters I know have tiny ass. It's genetic, like everything.
 - Smith machine squats are knee KILLER.
 - Belt should be avoided at all costs. We are only human but belt is only for ego. Drop 20-30kg and leave belt at home.

A lot of wisdom in this post..

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
It sucks and I just don't want to do it anymore so fuck it.  Whose with me?  ???

you must just not do it right.

(that's what she said)
sept 10th APF