Author Topic: Lee Haney versus the current crop  (Read 38520 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Re: Lee Haney versus the current crop
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
exactly. i dont think bodyweight means as much as people think it does
Key post
And lee wins
choice is an illusion

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
there's no dispute on Wheeler, Levrone or Shawn. You've forgotten about 2001 when everyone would post the pic of Ronnie with his distended stomach. Shawn & Kevin were vocal against Ronnie winning in 98. Nasser took a lot of crap for beating Cormier in the ASC, I forgot what yr. Nasser & Dorian took alot of crap for having distended stomachs. I could go on

Nasser won the ASC in 1999, with Flex out of the competition.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
Nasser won the ASC in 1999, with Flex out of the competition.

lol and flex won all his ACs with dorian and ronnie out ::)

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »
we are talking about 2 different things.. i didnt say the top guys of the 90s were perfect or were accepted and liked by everyone,.. i am just saying that the fan base of each of them was much bigger than today's pros and this shows the sport has not become as interesting as before..
ok. I can agree with that. The 90's was the best era in BBing. You had 8-10 guy who would've been top 2 or 3 in any other era. Each guy had a different look & each look garnered its own fan base. 

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
bro. so can you let me know why in the 90s each top pro. had a big fan base.. even till today dorian still has a lot of fans,.. nasser, wheeler, levrone all still have a lot of fans even after many years of retirement.. even here on GB you have a lot of dorian's ass lickers, ronnie's ass lickers, the respectable team nasser ;D... but you dont have team phil or team kai and these are the best 2 now.. and before them jay won the olympia 4 times but his popularity was never close to someone like wheeler who never won the olympia..

after ronnie i havent seen any pro. with a real big fan base.. and i think the problem is mainly in the fans who dont see things that exciting anymore.. in the 90s each of the top pros had his separate big fan base.. then by the 2nd half of ronnie's era it was only ronnie who had a real fan base,.. most of jay's fans were supporting him only because they didnt like ronnie's physique not because jay was that great.. then after ronnie's last victory "2005" i havent noticed anyone so popular..

as for mcway post i didnt say anyone who takes the same drugs will be the same level of phil.. sure the top pros have the best genetics in the world but i meant that the mentality of most of the fans have changed..
Bro you are judging based on a forum,let me explain something about getbig bro; 

getbig has enormous traffic but it's a forum and like it or not but 100 getbig forums do not compare to the traffic of people reading the magazines each month, YES you read that correctly bro, the magazines still have millions of readers and still got out in multiple languages and dozens of countries bro, sorry but getbig traffic is peanuts. Now try and understand this getbig does not believe in what the mainstream believes, I mean half of the reader from magazines don't even think some of these guys are juiced.

Also the hardcore fan like us is always praising one generation behind hence all the talk about Wheeler, Cormier, Levrone, Nasser, Ray, etc etc.

But make no mistake bro, trust me I go to all the expos, Non of the 90's guys will yield the line ups Phil or Cutler will bring in, not even Ronnie, not even Yates, not even Wheeler, sorry bro but go see for yourself, Phil's line up is fucken monstrous and raps around the expo, waiting is like 30 min at least bro and goes on for hours like this.  Kai, Wolf, Branch, Dexter all yield enormous line ups as well but Phil is king.

Bodybuilding is huge now, the crowds are bigger, the competitors are more and everyone wants to compete nowadays.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
ok. I can agree with that. The 90's was the best era in BBing. You had 8-10 guy who would've been top 2 or 3 in any other era. Each guy had a different look & each look garnered its own fan base. 

this is exactly what i was saying and what the creator of the thread meant to show..

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »

getbig has enormous traffic but it's a forum and like it or not but 100 getbig forums do not compare to the traffic of people reading the magazines each month, YES you read that correctly bro, the magazines still have millions of readers and still got out in multiple languages and dozens of countries bro, sorry but getbig traffic is peanuts. Now try and understand this getbig does not believe in what the mainstream believes, I mean half of the reader from magazines don't even think some of these guys are juiced.

Also the hardcore fan like us is always praising one generation behind hence all the talk about Wheeler, Cormier, Levrone, Nasser, Ray, etc etc.

But make no mistake bro, trust me I go to all the expos, Non of the 90's guys will yield the line ups Phil or Cutler will bring in, not even Ronnie, not even Yates, not even Wheeler, sorry bro but go see for yourself, Phil's line up is fucken monstrous and raps around the expo, waiting is like 30 min at least bro and goes on for hours like this.  Kai, Wolf, Branch, Dexter all yield enormous line ups as well but Phil is king.

Bodybuilding is huge now, the crowds are bigger, the competitors are more and everyone wants to compete nowadays.

i was believing you till i read the word "branch" hahha ;D

i believe you the numbers of the audiences at contests are more because more ppl now train and more of these ppl now take drugs.. but i think and i may be wrong the mentality of the fans have changed after being more educated by the net.. you see this line waiting for phil only because he is the current mr. olympia,.. the exact same line will be in front of kai if he wins the olympia.. you dont have real supporters as in the past and again i may be wrong..

to revive the sport you need another dominant champ like haney or dorian or ronnie.. you dont have this now.. we are now in a waiting phase till a dominant champ appears,.. reminds me of the early 80s,.. the few years before haney's era.. still even if a dominant champ comes i dont see things will be as before because the fans dont think the same as before and again i may be wrong.. but sure this "dominant champ" will make the sport more interesting..

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
i was believing you till i read the word "branch" hahha ;D

i believe you the numbers of the audiences at contests are more because more ppl now train and more of these ppl now take drugs.. but i think and i may be wrong the mentality of the fans have changed after being more educated by the net.. you see this line waiting for phil only because he is the current mr. olympia,.. the exact same line will be in front of kai if he wins the olympia.. you dont have real supporters as in the past and again i may be wrong..

to revive the sport you need another dominant champ like haney or dorian or ronnie.. you dont have this now.. we are now in a waiting phase till a dominant champ appears,.. reminds me of the early 80s,.. the few years before haney's era.. still even if a dominant champ comes i dont see things will be as before because the fans dont think the same as before and again i may be wrong.. but sure this "dominant champ" will make the sport more interesting..
Actually you are right, good post and LMAO about Branch, lol  :D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »

Went to an expo with Heath Coleman etc in attendance
Ronnie had the longest line actually his line never went away
choice is an illusion

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
Went to an expo with Heath Coleman etc in attendance
Ronnie had the longest line actually his line never went away

NOPE not at the ARNOLD an NOPE not at the Toronto Super show, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay shorter, actually not even comparable.

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2013, 04:56:38 AM »

best post on this topic.  Except Ronnie & Haney still draws huge lines. Those two along with Arnold & Lou are as popular or even more so than the current guys.

To add to your point about the Getbig & the rest of the bodybuilding community. People here knock Branch, he's extremely popular, a fan favorite everywhere else. I think most ppl who go to shows also train & can appreciate the hard work it takes to build his physique. He's not the most aesthetic but there's nothing he can do about that, u can only work with what you have. The same way Haney didn't train smarter or juice less to have that tiny waist, that's the way he was born. His parents combined to give him almost the perfect genetics for bodybuilding

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • My dog fucks the little girl fivesilvernickels.
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »
best post on this topic.  Except Ronnie & Haney still draws huge lines. Those two along with Arnold & Lou are as popular or even more so than the current guys.

To add to your point about the Getbig & the rest of the bodybuilding community. People here knock Branch, he's extremely popular, a fan favorite everywhere else. I think most ppl who go to shows also train & can appreciate the hard work it takes to build his physique. He's not the most aesthetic but there's nothing he can do about that, u can only work with what you have. The same way Haney didn't train smarter or juice less to have that tiny waist, that's the way he was born. His parents combined to give him almost the perfect genetics for bodybuilding

Rudy, I watched Darrem and Melvin pose. They do NOT know how to pose like Abdul Halim does; they just pose in a more ordinary, bland style with conventional transitions. I'll tell you how Melvin and Darrem pose, like this fellow below. Again, just because he can dance doesn't make him a good POSER. That only makes him a good ENTERTAINER and not necessarily a good POSER, and the same applies to Melvin and Darrem. And folk call them the best posers in history??? What a joke man.

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2013, 05:34:14 AM »
Rudy, I watched Darrem and Melvin pose. They do NOT know how to pose like Abdul Halim does; they just pose in a more ordinary, bland style with conventional transitions. I'll tell you how Melvin and Darrem pose, like this fellow below. Again, just because he can dance doesn't make him a good POSER. That only makes him a good ENTERTAINER and not necessarily a good POSER, and the same applies to Melvin and Darrem. And folk call them the best posers in history??? What a joke man.

Good routine but definitely a poor mans version of Melvin or Darrem when it comes to posing. Never posted a link here before so I hope this works. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGHoULQzx_c. The 1st 2:30 is classic posing.

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
Good routine but definitely a poor mans version of Melvin or Darrem when it comes to posing. Never posted a link here before so I hope this works. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGHoULQzx_c. The 1st 2:30 is classic posing.

A poor man's version of Melvin or Darrem? I thought the dude can dance for real? You sure have high standards when it comes to grooving. Here's another one from the year before when he won the Nationals. By the way the link you posted isn't working.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
Nasser...nasser...nasser...nasser...nasser

Nasser

Nasser, nasser

Nasser!

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »
A poor man's version of Melvin or Darrem? I thought the dude can dance for real? You sure have high standards when it comes to grooving. Here's another one from the year before when he won the Nationals. By the way the link you posted isn't working.

its from the 2005 Ironman. The 1st 2:30 he displayed very classic posing. At the 2:40 mark he started dancing. Not saying the guy u posted didn't do a good job. I'm saying he's not in Melvin's league. Look at his dancing & compare it to this guy.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »

HANEY WAS VERY INTELLIGENT ABOUT HIS TRAINING......HE WAS NOT AN EGO TRAINER......DIDN'T TEAR ANY MUSCLES OR SUFFER ANY SERIOUS INJURIES LIKE YATES AND COMPANY......ONE MORE THING......LEE HANEY IS PROBABLY THE BEST REPRESENTATIVE BODYBUILDING HAS EVER HAD. THE YOUNG GUYS MIGHT NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM......BUT BODYBUILDING FANS STILL RESPECT LEE AND WHAT HE STOOD FOR.

LEE DID TRAIN SMARTER......HE JUICED.....BUT DIDN'T GO OVERBOARD WITH THE GEAR.

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
HANEY WAS VERY INTELLIGENT ABOUT HIS TRAINING......HE WAS NOT AN EGO TRAINER......DIDN'T TEAR ANY MUSCLES OR SUFFER ANY SERIOUS INJURIES LIKE YATES AND COMPANY......ONE MORE THING......LEE HANEY IS PROBABLY THE BEST REPRESENTATIVE BODYBUILDING HAS EVER HAD. THE YOUNG GUYS MIGHT NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM......BUT BODYBUILDING FANS STILL RESPECT LEE AND WHAT HE STOOD FOR.

LEE DID TRAIN SMARTER......HE JUICED.....BUT DIDN'T GO OVERBOARD WITH THE GEAR.
I'm as big a fan of Haney as anyone. My favorite bodybuilder, but I don't think it's fair to imply that Dorian & company didn't train smart. They weren't blessed with the lines & shape of Haney. Haney was a genetic freak, super wide shoulders, tiny waist, incredible shape & symmetry. Dorian & company's gift was size. Dorian had to be bigger, thicker, more dense to be # 1 at the time. If he was the same size as Haney, Flex, Shawn, Levrone etc he'd lose. He had to train that way to be bigger than everyone.
As far as the gear is concerned, you're saying the top guy in the sport who was the biggest thing anyone had seen at the time wasn't doing all that was available & what everyone else was doing? 

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »
I'm as big a fan of Haney as anyone. My favorite bodybuilder, but I don't think it's fair to imply that Dorian & company didn't train smart. They weren't blessed with the lines & shape of Haney. Haney was a genetic freak, super wide shoulders, tiny waist, incredible shape & symmetry. Dorian & company's gift was size. Dorian had to be bigger, thicker, more dense to be # 1 at the time. If he was the same size as Haney, Flex, Shawn, Levrone etc he'd lose. He had to train that way to be bigger than everyone.
As far as the gear is concerned, you're saying the top guy in the sport who was the biggest thing anyone had seen at the time wasn't doing all that was available & what everyone else was doing?  
all i am saying is that haney didn't go overboard on the sauce.......he always trained with moderate poundages and therefore was never injured....i spent some time with gaspari in the mid 90s......total a hole by the way, anyhow, he mentioned that lee was not reckless with the gear, and said that he would never make a comeback, due to the fact that the new guys were using more than he wished to use.

sure he sauced.....just saying he wasn't abusing like some would think.

regardless, the guy is, was, and always will be, highly thought of by most,if not all fans of bbing.

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »
This guy sauced too and was rewarded by getting on the cover of no less than Flex.

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
Jon, that's not a real cover is it? I've seen it before but assumed it was shopped.

Willie, u r correct, I remember Mike Christian saying he hated training with Lee because you couldn't push him. Haney would say leave one (rep) for the rack.

The most amazing thing about lee is that he retired at 32, the same age Dorian & Ronnie won their 1st Olympia. He definitely could've won another 4-8 if he wanted to push it.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
Jon, that's not a real cover is it? I've seen it before but assumed it was shopped.

Willie, u r correct, I remember Mike Christian saying he hated training with Lee because you couldn't push him. Haney would say leave one (rep) for the rack.

The most amazing thing about lee is that he retired at 32, the same age Dorian & Ronnie won their 1st Olympia. He definitely could've won another 4-8 if he wanted to push it.
mike christian was a fine bber.....but talked a good game....while lee played a good game.....lee won 8 sandows.....don't get me wrong...christian was awesome.....i sense a little sarcasm in your post. christian was known to day dream while training.

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »
mike christian was a fine bber.....but talked a good game....while lee played a good game.....lee won 8 sandows.....don't get me wrong...christian was awesome.....i sense a little sarcasm in your post. christian was known to day dream while training.
u sense sarcasm in my post  ??? 
Facts aren't sarcasm bro. You brought u a point about Haney not going overboard with his training & I provided 2 examples agreeing with you  ???

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
I thought you were being sarcastic about lee winning more sandows....if he would have been willing to push it.

I apologize.

rudylrichards

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
I thought you were being sarcastic about lee winning more sandows....if he would have been willing to push it.

I apologize.
no problem. I was very serious, based on Dorian, Ronnie, Jay & Phil now who won their 1st O in their 30's & got better into their late 30's. Haney retired at 32 with 8 Sandows. Don't think it's unfair to say his best yrs were ahead of him.