Author Topic: Will there ever be another Cosby Show?  (Read 5690 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Will there ever be another Cosby Show?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
I miss Bill Cobsby  :(

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 02:53:09 AM »
Send him a PM  :D

I used to have a stiffy for Lisa Bonet (Denise) as a 9 or 10 year old watching The Cosby show but ffs have you seen Rudy (Keshia Knight Pulliam) all grown up  :o :o :o :o

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
Cosby made the attempt to raise black entertainment to another level of sophistication. What with him being a doctor and his wife a lawyer and his children being raised in a loving and classy household. Too bad the effort didn't hold. Today black entertainment has devolved again with the proliferation of rap, hip hop lifestyle and lowbrow reality nonsense.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "black entertainment", but I would say the same can be said for "white entertainment"... pretty much entertainment in general. Can we say "Jersey Shore", ...Celebrity Rehab, ...or that other disgusting reality show with what's his face from Poison. Good Grief!  ...it's all gone downhill.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »
Bill has always been a proponent of elevating the perception of the African American household and family. I think he did a great job providing an aspirational ideal.

In a sinister way, I think white people liked it because his portrayal of the black AA family most closely resembled a white middle-class ideal as well. Self-imposed white guilt allowed white middle-classes to "get in touch with blacks" without really having to actually get in touch with reality. But that's TV...never reality.

Let's not forget, too, that Bill produced and aired the show during his hey-day as a comedian/actor. He was the cock of the walk in those days and at one point, was the highest paid entertainer, period.

The show had an excellent sense of humor too, and Bill provided everyone with an ideal on how the father figure in any family would like to perceive himself (and how women wished their husbands would act), which allowed him to cross several demographics. Standard family problems were tackled in a friendly way and wrapped up neatly in 22 minutes.

I doubt folks would tune in to a folksy sitcom these days in any serious numbers. The closest I see today is a show called "the Middle"...yes it's white, but it borrows from the plotlines of the Cosby show.

I really liked what he did with the show. He does not get enough credit today.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there, ...but I kind of take issue with the "aspirational ideal" part.
Perhaps the Cosby show was merely portraying a slice of life for a particular demographic. A group that is often never seen or heard of, but exist in homes all across America, ...a middle class Black nuclear family.

Shows like Family Ties portrayed one demographic, All in the Family portrayed another demographic, and RoseAnne portrayed yet another. All exist within the wide spectrum of American families. Just because Cosby differed from Good Times or Sanford & Son, or whatever stereotype or traditional depiction of Black family life may have been prevalently portrayed before, doesn''t mean it was "aspirational"
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »
Send him a PM  :D

I used to have a stiffy for Lisa Bonet (Denise) as a 9 or 10 year old watching The Cosby show but ffs have you seen Rudy (Keshia Knight Pulliam) all grown up  :o :o :o :o

LOL
w

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was AWESOME! :D Still makes me crack up every time I watch it :D

Black commedies are awesome, but there's been a few shitty ones in the past few years.

Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Will smith, Wayans twins all good actors. But I guess they made enough dough that they barely make anything
Will smith is a dick

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

Lol, he's not dead!

Saw him old-farting around on Letterman several years ago and he was perfect.  The easiest, most effortless polish.  You could see a lifetime spent in pursuit of the mastery of his craft.  Buried poor Dave.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
Will smith is a dick

Why? Because he slapped a gay guy who kissed him on the lips forcefully? hahaha