Author Topic: To HIT or not to HIT ?  (Read 3143 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
To HIT or not to HIT ?
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
Is HIT Cardio really better for fat loss??

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: To HIT or not to HIT ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »
not in my experience...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »
I normaly run 45 mins but can 20 mins HIT really Burn more flab?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
Do both.  Nice and short reply if I say so myself.

anab0lic

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
You dont really burn much fat during HIIT and the post metabolic boost from HIIT style training that is supposed to be advantageous  really isnt all that much.  It also tends to be draining to the point where it can affect your weight training workouts...which you definitely dont want when looking to lose fat/retain muscle mass.   Low intensity + calorie/carb control is the way to go.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
Anabolic that is really an old way of thinking that has been proven wrong time after time. It doesn't matter what fuel you use. The old saying that you should stay in the aerobic zone to burn fat instead of sugars is better than HIT cardio doesn't stand up. No matter what the fuel source it comes down to the total caloric cost of the activity. In short the harder you work at cardio the better it is for fat loss.

I can't count how many bodybuilders on a bike or a treadmill barely moving with their heart monitors saying they want to stay in the fat burning zone. They would burn more fat if they would have a work ethic and stopped training like a pussy. 

Doing hard intervals on a treadmill will use more glycogen (sugar) as fuel than fat but again it's the total caloric cost.  HIT cardio or the oldtimer correct label of intervals is a fantastic way to loose fat but it has to be limited so you will have energy to use in your priority of lifting weights.

I think for bodybuilding you have to have weights as the priority.  If you did a lot of HIT cardio you would burn out so there is a place for aerobic steady paced cardio too.

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
You dont really burn much fat during HIIT and the post metabolic boost from HIIT style training that is supposed to be advantageous  really isnt all that much.  It also tends to be draining to the point where it can affect your weight training workouts...which you definitely dont want when looking to lose fat/retain muscle mass.   Low intensity + calorie/carb control is the way to go.

Not in my experience and the others that I train.

We do Stadium steps all out for about 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a week.

AMAZING. Hardens the whole body, slices the legs and burns fat.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
I cycle quite a lot in the summer, usually between 80-90km in a single session.  This past February I started doing Tabata intervals on a bicycle trainer in my basement three times a week.  When I brought my bicycle out this past spring and cycled my normal 80km route with several medium sized hills along the way, I found I was able to cycle over the hills much quicker and with much less effort than I could without doing tabata intervals.  Previously, I had to stand up on my pedals when going over the hills, but I found with my improved V02 max I was able to stay on my seat and maintain a consistent pedal stroke without my lungs giving out on me.  I can attest to the effectiveness of tabatas for cardio purposes.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:07:05 AM »
I cycle quite a lot in the summer, usually between 80-90km in a single session.  This past February I started doing Tabata intervals on a bicycle trainer in my basement three times a week.  When I brought my bicycle out this past spring and cycled my normal 80km route with several medium sized hills along the way, I found I was able to cycle over the hills much quicker and with much less effort than I could without doing tabata intervals.  Previously, I had to stand up on my pedals when going over the hills, but I found with my improved V02 max I was able to stay on my seat and maintain a consistent pedal stroke without my lungs giving out on me.  I can attest to the effectiveness of tabatas for cardio purposes.
I have tried Tabata jumping rope and you do get a sweat on( i always warm up jumping rope as i train at home) i also have integrated it in my running workouts...running faster 20 secounds with 10 secounds slow jogging and it works well. I will try some sprints at the local running track.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:15:34 PM »
try this
add up all work u do for a week
do all that on monday in one megasession
then rest until next monday

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
my best fat loss comes in weeks where i maintain 4hrs+ of cardio per day (for all 7 days)...

i pulls these once in a while after a weekend long party or something... intense as hell but it fucking works like nothing else (especially if it's paired with low-carb / controlled calories)