Author Topic: how often do you dudes train each muscle group?  (Read 7987 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
how often do you dudes train each muscle group?
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:15:32 AM »
i try and stay with once every 3 to 5 days

once a week can work to, but i think that a bit more often works even better

and does anybody go up to 2 weeks btw bodyparts and still make gains? i've heard about this, but find it hard to believe

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: how often do you dudes train each muscle group?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:29 AM »
i think 1x a week is ok but every 2 weeks?? canīt see that working

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 02:42:53 AM »
i think 1x a week is ok but every 2 weeks?? canīt see that working

that's inspired by Mentzer, as he says that as one goes bigger and stronger that they must take more rest days between training sessions in order to continue to get bigger and stronger

it makes ALOT of sense, but i'm just not sure if it's accurate...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 03:02:05 AM »
maybe if you are a Beast and Deadlift massive weight then OK...but ....for most 2 weeks is too much rest in my humble opinion

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »
3 days per week... while each day focuses heavy movements on a certain muscle group, all body parts are training 3 days per week

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
One time per week.  I've done this 94% of my training career (career lol).

Should I give something else a try? ???

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
One time per week.  I've done this 94% of my training career (career lol).

Should I give something else a try? ???

not sure

i seem to make best progress hitting each muscle every 3-5 days

i think that 7-10 days can work for maintaince, but for growth/progress every 3-5 days seems to work better IMO

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
not sure

i seem to make best progress hitting each muscle every 3-5 days

i think that 7-10 days can work for maintaince, but for growth/progress every 3-5 days seems to work better IMO

Cool, what do you think about muscles like abs?  I usually train them three times a week.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Cool, what do you think about muscles like abs?  I usually train them three times a week.

i think you've seen my pic when i was sub-6 right?

well man, HONEST TO GOD i did ZERO ab training, and i've never trained my abs in fact

IMO the only reason to train abs is to make the ab wall thicker, so if you want to thicken your ab wall then train them, but train them just like any other muscle

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 02:11:17 AM »
i think you've seen my pic when i was sub-6 right?

well man, HONEST TO GOD i did ZERO ab training, and i've never trained my abs in fact

IMO the only reason to train abs is to make the ab wall thicker, so if you want to thicken your ab wall then train them, but train them just like any other muscle
Unless your a guy who competes on stage and every detail is important i would just train them say 2x a week like i do. I just do Basic crunches and sometimes Reverse crunches. After my leg day doing stiff legged deads my abs are sore. I used to be obsessed with a 6 pack too and did every exercise under the sun. Bought books and shit. Fucking waste of time and money... you can even keep your abs in shape with old school sit ups. worry about your big muscles and forget the Beach 6 pack. a flat hard waist is what i go for now. I see a some abs but if i wanted to REALLY concentrate on them i would lose weight and my poundages would suffer.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
Unless your a guy who competes on stage and every detail is important i would just train them say 2x a week like i do. I just do Basic crunches and sometimes Reverse crunches. After my leg day doing stiff legged deads my abs are sore. I used to be obsessed with a 6 pack too and did every exercise under the sun. Bought books and shit. Fucking waste of time and money... you can even keep your abs in shape with old school sit ups. worry about your big muscles and forget the Beach 6 pack. a flat hard waist is what i go for now. I see a some abs but if i wanted to REALLY concentrate on them i would lose weight and my poundages would suffer.

starving=nice abs ;)

i did ZERO ab training then, and i never have done any ab training

nice abs come from a low bodyfat % and good ab genetics

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 06:07:51 AM »
yes 100% that is a good physique

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
Met quite a few successful lifters (BB'er & PL'ers) who hit a selected muscle group, or lift, every 7 to 9 days. Anything longer than that, most tend  to not keep, even slightly losing,  their training/conditioning edge. Usually the 7-9 thing is when extra heavy workouts are done. I'll do once a week usually. Think most trainee's would find once or twice a week to their benefit, when working a targeted body part. Three times a week, to me, is just not needed. Even full body workouts  (becoming somewhat popular now) can be preformed once or twice a week.

As dj181 suggest, direct ab training may be over hyped. The Ab's are a very powerful short range muscle group (as most short range muscle groups are) and should to trained that way. Regular BB'ing rep of 8 to 12, 2 or 3 sets should be all that is need. Even indirect exercises, like chins, pullovers, cleans,dips, etc, hit the total Ab wall (obliques also). If finding happiness in marathon ab workouts, than help yourself. Fear not of adding impressive weight to any of your Ab workouts, they are designed for strength.

One of the better Ab training devices is the common, and much over looked, Ab Wheel. Another device it the original Roman Chair. Extremely effected.  They both hit the total Ab structure, upper and lower, with equal attention. Some of the exercise equipment that are being sold as Roman Chairs, in reality, are far from the original  concept and not real Roman Chairs.  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »
The original Roman chair was a flat seat and now they are slanted but Bodybuilders used to put a block under the front to make a slant.,, they do work well.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
Might also suggest working the lower back with any serious Ab training. Want  balanced strength/development with each other. Abs will help the back to stay healthy and the back will help the Abs stay healthy. They function as a single unit to insure a higher level of performance, and (hopefully) free from strain and  injury.

Romanian DL's, GoodMoringing's and back extensions might be considered. Worth the time and effort..... always. Good Luck.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
thanks for the reply jpm

i "feel" like i need to train each muscle every 3 to 5 days for best possible results, but i have made gains even taking up to 7 or 8 days btw bodyparts, but i've never really gained waiting any longer than that, and strength and size starts to go down "de-compensation" if i put any more than 2 weeks, or 14 days btw bodypart sessions

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
starving=nice abs ;)

That's awesome!  I didn't train abs for my first couple years.  I stopped gaining strength (especially stuck on squatting) and I realized my abs muscles were extremely weak, unbelievably weak.  I guess the only reason I've been training them is because I feel like it's helped me grow in other areas.

I hope I can look like you some day.  8)

anab0lic

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
every 48-72 hours is optimal for growth.

oenguinseatsocks

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
once a week.  monday back/biceps, wednesday chest/shoulders/triceps, friday legs/lower back/abs

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 07:41:14 AM »
starving=nice abs ;)

Looking really in shape there. Solid physique.  Were you juicing or natural?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »
It's been my experience that if you are lifting heavy to failure that once a week works. If you are doing a little more volume working on increasing endurance doing say 3 to 6 sets an exercise then twice a week is better. Just that simple.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 09:16:30 AM »
Looking really in shape there. Solid physique.  Were you juicing or natural?

i was a lifetime natty at the point in time

i weighed all of 157 @ 5'11" and i was running bout 3 miles a day 5 days per week and lifting about 5 days per week as well

recently i've decided to give up on "the dream" of being larger and just focus on being fit as fuck and looking like i did there with just a tad bit more size (hopefully mostly on my arms and delts, as my torso outshines my delts and arms)

170-175 is my max desired weight, but at that level of leaness/condition

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:01 AM »
i was a lifetime natty at the point in time

i weighed all of 157 @ 5'11" and i was running bout 3 miles a day 5 days per week and lifting about 5 days per week as well

recently i've decided to give up on "the dream" of being larger and just focus on being fit as fuck and looking like i did there with just a tad bit more size (hopefully mostly on my arms and delts, as my torso outshines my delts and arms)

170-175 is my max desired weight, but at that level of leaness/condition
Being Fit is the best Goal, Muscle and cardio fitness and flexibility.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
Being Fit is the best Goal, Muscle and cardio fitness and flexibility.

yeah, fuck what others say about being huge

p.s. chicks dig slim and fit men without "overly developed" muscles

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
yeah, fuck what others say about being huge

p.s. chicks dig slim and fit men without "overly developed" muscles
This is true i mean if you can keep looking fit and muscular as you age...is that not progress? We all want a bit of size but too much( talking extreme muscle mass) is not healthy.(in my opinion).