Author Topic: Pick me a beginner routine  (Read 2020 times)

RockinAR

• Getbig III
  • Fat Albert Lives!
Pick me a beginner routine
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »
It's been several years since I have been in the gym. Back then, Mike Matarazzo and Paul De Mayo was the bomb, smart phones did not exist, and everyone had pagers.

I'm looking to get back in the gym, 3 days a week, basic movements.  All I remember about the gym is I did not like squats and dead lifts. I prefer hack squats and leg presses. Everything else I was game for.

So pick me a 3 day routine. Also, is there an app where I can log my workouts and track my results and progress?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Pick me a beginner routine
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:36:38 AM »
i'd start with a full body routine x3 days for at least 6 months to get back into the swing of things before building  a specialized routine... the one thing i would also do is vary the number of reps per movement per day. i'd also focus on supersets (again to get back into condition).

only working sets are listed

Day 1 - High rep
Superset: Leg Press & Seated calve presses - 3 sets, 12 reps (per movement)
Superset: Bench Press & Bent Over Rows - 3 sets, 12 reps (per movement)
Superset: Lateral Raises & Front Raises - 3 sets, 12 reps (per movement)
Superset: Alternating Dumbbell Curls & Seated Dumbbell Triceps Extensions - 3 sets, 12 reps (per movement)

Day 2 - Mid rep
Superset: Leg Press & Seated calve presses - 3 sets, 8 reps (per movement)
Superset: Bench Press & Bent Over Rows - 3 sets, 8 reps (per movement)
Superset: Lateral Raises & Front Raises - 3 sets, 8 reps (per movement)
Superset: Alternating Dumbbell Curls & Seated Dumbbell Triceps Extensions - 3 sets, 8 reps (per movement)

Day 3 - Low rep
Superset: Leg Press & Seated calve presses - 3 sets, 5 reps (per movement)
Superset: Bench Press & Bent Over Rows - 3 sets, 5 reps (per movement)
Superset: Lateral Raises & Front Raises - 3 sets, 5 reps (per movement)
Superset: Alternating Dumbbell Curls & Seated Dumbbell Triceps Extensions - 3 sets, 5 reps (per movement)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »
 ;D knowledge is key.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
No dis but;   Matarazzo & De Mayo...you must mean decades since being in a gym. De Mayo, an all time classic BB'er in my view.

Your probably in the late 30's /early 40's (or older) so might want to pace yourself slowly when returning to the gym. I am acquainted with working with trainee's in their mid-40's to late 60's. All seem to  make progress and reach positive goals, though it may take a bit longer. Recovery and the CNS is one of the major keys.

Another important point is that, don't let your ego get in the way of common sense. Suggest doing a full body workout (as Wooo suggest) for the first 3-4 month or so. Than branch out to splits or more advanced forms of training, to see what they offer, if you wish. Might surprise yourself and fine that full body workouts are all you really need.

Basic full body...First week only train twice a week. From the second week on, train 3 times a week. Try not using machines, but the standard BB/DB's. Will find that the whole body can reach a better state of condition with free weights...as of now. Rep range 8-12 for all exercises. 2 sets the first two weeks..than 3 sets after that..no more for now.

!)  Squats...not your favorite, than do BB Hack squats which is more like a combo squat/reverse DL. Forget about doing machine leg press. BB Hacks, Like DL's, also build back & trap mass. Try having the heels on a 2X4 if trouble with balance, at first.

2) BB Row  or chin

3) Bench  BB or DB

4)  Overhead press

5)  Pullovers

6)  Tricep Dips

7)  BB Curl

8)  Calf raises

If wanting to do the Abs, than 2 sets before starting the legs work. And 2 set after calves. Still with the 8-12 reps range. Add weight when 12 reps are reached. Abs should be treated like any other body part. Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
since you have been in the Iron game before i think an upper/lower split is better for you rotating the workouts 3 days a week:  A B A then the next week B A B and so forth. The full body split is OK but i think you will soon grow out of it.