Author Topic: are dumbbell bent-armed pullovers more of a lat or a pec exercise?  (Read 3348 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
i'd say that the are more of a lat exercise, but they definately involve the pecs as well

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: are dumbbell bent-armed pullovers more of a lat or a pec exercise?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:15 AM »
it's a compound movement...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:08 AM »
i'd say that the are more of a lat exercise, but they definately involve the pecs as well
Yes i would tend to agree. when i do them i lie length ways (normal) on a bench but if you do them across a bench with your hips low(ish) you can work your chest or at least get a good stretch(hence the low hips position). If you want to hit chest more do pull-over and press with a bar or ez bar...just my 2 cents Bro ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:36:37 AM »
it's a compound movement...

that's true, and what's strange about pullovers is that it's a compound movement only involving movement around one joint, the shoulder joint

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »
that's true, and what's strange about pullovers is that it's a compound movement only involving movement around one joint, the shoulder joint
yes excellent points men.... food for thought  ;D Great feedback.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »
DB/BB Bent Arm Pullovers tend to hit the lats, and even the  triceps,  more than the pec's themselves.

Might suggest doing the Pullover & Press (bent arm pullover combined with the bench press). Hitting the lat's, pec's, delts, triceps and even the Abs. A true compound movement and upper body mass builder. Either with BB or DB, you are also getting a very good stretch at the full bottom position.

The common performance is to do a pullover and than a press, pullover, press, pullover, press, etc....in the same set.  A few will do the pullovers first and than (without releasing the grip on BB/DB) the press. Suggest the common performance, just a personal view. Some find that a BB puts too much strain on the wrist/forearms, than suggest using a pair of DB which allows a hammer grip. Holding the BB too wide will also put undo stress on the shoulder joints. Want a medium to close grip, to be most effective.

Can also SS straight arm pullovers with the Pullover & press, if you into a outstanding pump.  I've used the Pullover & Press, with the GVT (10X10),on occasion as my only upper body exercise with very good results. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
i would do them if i worked out chest and back on the same day but otherwise i feel like there are better options.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
The best Nautilus machine ever. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

those machines arms priceless. wish my gym had one.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 01:56:23 AM »

according to AJ that is the upper-body squat 8)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:06:11 AM »
I only do this exercise on back day and I never feel it on my chest but there are a few reason for this.

1. keep your elbow in the same position at all times, locked in place. If they start off slightly bent at the bottom position and are straight at the top position you will bring in your pecs to the equation.

2. never pass the 30 degree mark, go down as far as possible and on the way up stop at the 30 degree mark, not straight up or pecs come into play.

3. never contract the chest or never squeeze with your chest, just keep go up and down casually, everyone tends to be flexing their chest, bad idea for a back exercise.

Now I only do it for back because this an excellent back exercise but a very shitty chest exercise. HTH.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 03:41:41 AM »
2. never pass the 30 degree mark, go down as far as possible and on the way up stop at the 30 degree mark, not straight up or pecs come into play.

this is a very interesting point, as i do notice that as i move into the finishing part of the lift that the stress is transfered from the lats onto the pecs (ie. during that last 30 degrees of movement)

also, it seems that the tris really get activated during this movement

so i guess that the prime movers here with this lift are the lats and the tris with a secondary emphasis being placed upon the pecs at the end of the lift

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:33:40 AM »
this is a very interesting point, as i do notice that as i move into the finishing part of the lift that the stress is transfered from the lats onto the pecs (ie. during that last 30 degrees of movement)

also, it seems that the tris really get activated during this movement

so i guess that the prime movers here with this lift are the lats and the tris with a secondary emphasis being placed upon the pecs at the end of the lift
That is a fair assessment

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 05:23:34 AM »
That is a fair assessment
i agree with feeling it in the triceps too...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »
Believe that OneTimeHard is referring to the straight arm pullover (elbows locked in place) which can allow a limited stretch to the pullover arc. There is also the straight arm, front lat pull down. Which is another good version of the lying pullover, giving an excellent pump. Any straight arm version can place unneeded stress on the elbows and shoulder joints, so a good warmup/stretch would be advised. Most men allow a slight break to the elbows when doing the straight are version. Using a DB, rather than a BB, seems to reduce the excesses on the elbows and shoulders.

The bent arm version can allow heavier weight to be used  (believe the record for the BB bent arm pullover is in the near 400lbs, maybe more. I've seen 120 & up for DB use. Higher for some advanced men. Here is where the lats, triceps and pecs come into play strongly; if the elbows reach the point of being inline with the head (as you bottom out), than you know the stretch and muscle reaction is suitable. Any version of pullovers is  great for the torso/intercostal/etc & also the Abs.

If doing a press off the chest, with the Bent Arm version, you can only compound the positive benefits on the chest, triceps and delts. Good Luck.
F