Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting: Fad or Weightloss miracle?  (Read 10114 times)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
Re: Intermittent Fasting: Fad or Weightloss miracle?
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
I did the fasting from 8:30pm - 12:30pm.  For me, the way my days go, there really wasn't an easy way to time it.  I gave it about 2 wks and the whole time I made sure I did follow to a "T" (or as close to it as I could).  My hunger was actually more-so even though I was eating the same amount of calories as I do now.  I believe that you eat 80 - 90% of your calories post workout.  The timing of the training/eating became an issue for me.  I do not have a set schedule when it comes to when I am done with my day.  Some days I am able to train in the morning, and some days have to be done at night.

There is no set in stone protocol for low carb/high carb (again, from what I recall).  Just depends on who you are and what you are trying to accomplish.  I generally like a lower carb approach during the week.  I don't think strength suffered all that much, just a feeling of being "off" of what I am used to.  So thats more me than the diet.  I can usually put away a lot at one sitting...so the higher calorie meal is great, but for me I did not like taking the time to calculate the percentage, of calories, then figure out how much more I could eat through the day, etc etc etc.  I thought the way I do it now was OCD...figuring out how much more you can or can't eat was a pain in the ass.  If you want to eatthe same shit all the time, then you should be ok.  I Have done enough of that through the years so I was unwilling to go through that again.

I know that there are different protocols to doing IF.  I do have a friend who does do the fasting the day after a cheat day.  He will have a meal of 30% of his total calorie intake atthe end of monday to break his fast.  I dont know if I coul[d go through my days like that.  My buddy eats low low low carb...and is ripped to shit.

Would I say that it "didn't work"?  No.  I think that if you lay out the plan, you will see the results you want.  Do I feel that it takes a lot longer to get acclimated to doing the diet than other ways of eating.  Yes.  Again, totally my opinion.  Right now I have been doing just protein, fats, and pineapple for my eating.  Took a while, but I actually feel better eating this way.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
I did the fasting from 8:30pm - 12:30pm.  For me, the way my days go, there really wasn't an easy way to time it.  I gave it about 2 wks and the whole time I made sure I did follow to a "T" (or as close to it as I could).  My hunger was actually more-so even though I was eating the same amount of calories as I do now.  I believe that you eat 80 - 90% of your calories post workout.  The timing of the training/eating became an issue for me.  I do not have a set schedule when it comes to when I am done with my day.  Some days I am able to train in the morning, and some days have to be done at night.

There is no set in stone protocol for low carb/high carb (again, from what I recall).  Just depends on who you are and what you are trying to accomplish.  I generally like a lower carb approach during the week.  I don't think strength suffered all that much, just a feeling of being "off" of what I am used to.  So thats more me than the diet.  I can usually put away a lot at one sitting...so the higher calorie meal is great, but for me I did not like taking the time to calculate the percentage, of calories, then figure out how much more I could eat through the day, etc etc etc.  I thought the way I do it now was OCD...figuring out how much more you can or can't eat was a pain in the ass.  If you want to eatthe same shit all the time, then you should be ok.  I Have done enough of that through the years so I was unwilling to go through that again.

I know that there are different protocols to doing IF.  I do have a friend who does do the fasting the day after a cheat day.  He will have a meal of 30% of his total calorie intake atthe end of monday to break his fast.  I dont know if I coul[d go through my days like that.  My buddy eats low low low carb...and is ripped to shit.

Would I say that it "didn't work"?  No.  I think that if you lay out the plan, you will see the results you want.  Do I feel that it takes a lot longer to get acclimated to doing the diet than other ways of eating.  Yes.  Again, totally my opinion.  Right now I have been doing just protein, fats, and pineapple for my eating.  Took a while, but I actually feel better eating this way.

i am looking for one of those emoticon things of a guy sleeping

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »
1 cup egg whites 2 whole eggs w/ onion pepers etc
1 1/2 oz of protein powder 10z almonds
6oz lean chicken fish beef all the vegies you want (no carbs) 1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 oz of protein powder 4 oz strawberry's
6oz lean chicken fish beef all the vegies you want (no carbs) 1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 oz of protein powder or 1 cup egg whites 2 whole eggs w/ onion pepers etc

calories / protein / fat / carb

2 cup egg whites       - 252    /  52     / 0      /  4
4 eggs                     - 222    /  16     / 16    /   0
4.5 oz protein powder - 540    /  110   / 5      /   15
12 oz lean chicken     - 134    /  58     / 0      /   8
10 oz almonds           - 1686  /   59    / 148   /   59
4 oz strawberrys       -  40    /    0     /  0     /    9
2 tsp olive oil            -  80   /     0    /  9      /   0

total:

calories: 2954

lol

okay, i'm going to assume that was a typo and you meant 1 oz almonds:

2 cup egg whites       - 252    /  52     / 0      /  4
4 eggs                     - 222    /  16     / 16    /   0
4.5 oz protein powder - 540    /  110   / 5      /   15
12 oz lean chicken     - 134    /  58     / 0      /   8
10 oz almonds           - 168   /   6      / 15        /   6
4 oz strawberrys       -  40    /    0     /  0     /    9
2 tsp olive oil            -  80   /     0    /  9      /   0

total:

calories:         1436
protein:          242g (67%)
fat:               45g   (28%)
carbohydrate:  38g  (11%)

Yeah, the numbers are a little off due to estimations and rounding, but WTF 67% of diet from protein and 1436 calories?  You must have looked like an auschwitz victim...  

Mjolnir

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
Yeah sorry 1oz almonds not ten and should be tablespoon of oil not teaspoon.  You have calculated that wrong as it works out at around 2400cals the meat calories are incorrect. Keto works for ME really well.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »
i am looking for one of those emoticon things of a guy sleeping

Hey monkey fuck....a few asked my opinion...so I gave it.  Here is something you should check out if you feel that strongly :

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/index.shtml

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
Hey monkey fuck....a few asked my opinion...so I gave it.  Here is something you should check out if you feel that strongly :

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/index.shtml

this is getbig  dammit  :(  this thread should be in the nutrition board where you don't fuck around with other people or something  ???

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
this is getbig  dammit  :(  this thread should be in the nutrition board where you don't fuck around with other people or something  ???

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »
exactly

dustin

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »
So are you essentially supposed to eat in the early morning and then fast for the rest of the day?

"1"

I fast in the morning and try not to eat until after training which I do right after work. I'm lazier and usually eat a light meal at work though because I've been off hormones for a while and taking the pussy approach to training and dieting.

When I'm on cycling and taking ephedrine it's a cake walk to fast. And if my body is beaten down from training I'll break the fast and that day will just be a refill day because I go a bit lighter on the carbs when I'm serious. All of the fasting makes my body turn into a carb sponge and I fill out hardcore. I love it. I turn cheating into an unplanned refill day and it helps with both training and sanity. It feels almost like I'm somehow taking a shortcut on my diet!

Been getting my natural test levels up but my appetite is too strong to fast the way I have on the past, but I'm just starting ephedrine and will have just 4 hour eating windows again. It's fucking ridiculous how amped up and primed for fat loss your body gets when fasting intermittently. Don't write this one off as a fad. It's one of the few dietary advices that's actually worked for me in real life.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
Yeah sorry 1oz almonds not ten and should be tablespoon of oil not teaspoon.  You have calculated that wrong as it works out at around 2400cals the meat calories are incorrect. Keto works for ME really well.

You're right, the calories should be doubled, for about 270, and even that seems a little low, still prob not more than 200 additional calories.  I dont see how you could get 2400 calories or even really close to that based on what you wrote.

Mjolnir

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »
You're right, the calories should be doubled, for about 270, and even that seems a little low, still prob not more than 200 additional calories.  I dont see how you could get 2400 calories or even really close to that based on what you wrote.

For christs sake don't try the diet if it's too hard for you Gloria. Do some research - lean chicken = 46 calories per ounce x 12
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2
Olive oil per tablespoon = 120 calories x 2
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-olive-oil-i4053

It works out to around 2400 calories. I have calculated it many times and the diet works, I'm not starving, I weigh 200 pounds, not on peds and that's because it works out at 2400 calories, go figure.  

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:59 PM »
Exactly. This is far from anything new and no one is breaking new ground here. Face it, eating 5-6 meals a day SUCKS.

YES!

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »
Great documentary!

Sat through the entire thing and at the very least this approach is worth a shot for at least a month in order to gauge what preliminary results might be.

"1"

Hate to sound like a nerd, but IT'S SO FUN TO TRY NEW STUFF! Call it a mid life crisis, but I'm backing off on the protein and eating all kinds of dark green veggies, I'm jogging, I'm doing bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and burpees, I'm trying to run 400 meters, I'm having a shit load of fun.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
Hate to sound like a nerd, but IT'S SO FUN TO TRY NEW STUFF! Call it a mid life crisis, but I'm backing off on the protein and eating all kinds of dark green veggies, I'm jogging, I'm doing bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and burpees, I'm trying to run 400 meters, I'm having a shit load of fun.
You fkn hell raiser!!! :D

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »

Green veggies, how fun ::)

Want to know what my idea of fun is?

chris-a

• Getbig III
  • fundamentalist atheist - guns + religion don't mix
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2012, 05:08:12 AM »
Great documentary!

Sat through the entire thing and at the very least this approach is worth a shot for at least a month in order to gauge what preliminary results might be.

"1"

that horizon documentary has changed how i view *everything* to do w/diet.
i've just turned 47, tried the 16 hour fast/8 hour feedind window thing, pretty cool, slow fatloss. though nothing amazing. i now eat according to the doc, and bang, fat loss multiplied by about 10, feel good, no bloated feeling, waist is tighter, and getting tighter still. plus it's ridiculously good for you. it really is an eye opener. i say give it a go!
(i'm generally on trt, though upped slightly at the mo to 450mgs/week, which obviously helps with muscle maintanance/growth, but even on trt dose of 125mg/week it was working wonders... )

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2012, 05:15:20 AM »
it still boils down to calories in vs. calories out, but maybe this protocol's real benefit/advantage is the hormonal/chemical changes that it can cause/induce

dustin

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
it still boils down to calories in vs. calories out, but maybe this protocol's real benefit/advantage is the hormonal/chemical changes that it can cause/induce

Intermittent fasting, I'm convinced, helps your body to run way more efficiently. The changes in insulin sensitivity alone can make a major impact.

I have a blood glucose monitor I forgot about and found a shitload of testing strips. I checked my fasted and post-meal BG levels and they're getting better and better the more I fast. My hunger pains die out after a bit of disciplined fasting. And a few weeks into being more disciplined I can start cheating again and breaking the fast more often but I still look a lot better than when I started.

I think a lot of people who write this off as a fad are missing out. The bodybuilding dietary advices of eating around the clock is piss poor and leads to glucose mismanagement. Even if you eat protein based meals 5-6 times a day it'll raise your blood glucose levels just as much as eating carbs. So how in the fuck is eating constantly going to help with anything? You'll never have the opportunity to liberate and break up fat stores if blood glucose and insulin are both chronically elevated. There's no difference whether your sedentary or training a lot, this leads to diabetes.

I'd sooner trust an endocrinologist over a bodybuilder when it comes to talking hormones. Since I started eating more infrequently my body's composition has been a lot better, even when I'm lazy and eating poor food choices. Even if people don't subscribe to IF, they don't need to eat 5-6 times a day. That's fucking stupid advice... I wasted years doing that shit.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
Intermittent fasting, I'm convinced, helps your body to run way more efficiently. The changes in insulin sensitivity alone can make a major impact.

I have a blood glucose monitor I forgot about and found a shitload of testing strips. I checked my fasted and post-meal BG levels and they're getting better and better the more I fast. My hunger pains die out after a bit of disciplined fasting. And a few weeks into being more disciplined I can start cheating again and breaking the fast more often but I still look a lot better than when I started.

I think a lot of people who write this off as a fad are missing out. The bodybuilding dietary advices of eating around the clock is piss poor and leads to glucose mismanagement. Even if you eat protein based meals 5-6 times a day it'll raise your blood glucose levels just as much as eating carbs. So how in the fuck is eating constantly going to help with anything? You'll never have the opportunity to liberate and break up fat stores if blood glucose and insulin are both chronically elevated. There's no difference whether your sedentary or training a lot, this leads to diabetes.

I'd sooner trust an endocrinologist over a bodybuilder when it comes to talking hormones. Since I started eating more infrequently my body's composition has been a lot better, even when I'm lazy and eating poor food choices. Even if people don't subscribe to IF, they don't need to eat 5-6 times a day. That's fucking stupid advice... I wasted years doing that shit.

nice post man, and thanks for the feedback