Author Topic: Any good exercises for targeting biceps and triceps seperation?  (Read 3773 times)

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
Any good exercises for targeting biceps and triceps seperation?
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:10:16 AM »
My biceps and triceps look well defined while doing a rear double biceps shot but they look bloofy doing a front double biceps.  Are there any exercises that can help to carve out the seperation between the bi's and tri's on the inside of your arm?  I currently do a lot of overhead tricep extentions and concentration curls. 

Thanks
Come at me Bro!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Any good exercises for targeting biceps and triceps seperation?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »
I would try Incline DB curls for length in a superset with Hammer curls which hit the Brachialis muscle. Hand position on BB curls is also important.. close grip for outer thickness and wide grip for inner Bicep, maybe this would be good to remember. Triceps i would do one arm DB extensions behind my head and lying tricep ez bar extensions to hit the tricep all the way to the elbow. The man to ask for arms here is Galeniko, he has a great pair of defined arms. I also think diet is important for seperation.

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:44:50 AM »
Thanks.  It could still be a bodyfat issue but it's odd that my arms look so much better from the outside than the inside. 
Come at me Bro!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
for bis i like good old style concentration curls... just 1 burn out set, 20 reps or more with a light weight at the end of biceps training

personally i bend right over (no homo) and let my arm hang and stick my arm straight down so that i curl perpendicular to my body line

the pump from this movement is amazing

for tris i prefer 1 set of single-arm kick backs holding a 10 pound plate at the end of triceps day (this is a trend with all of my training, i end most muscle groups with a light 'pump/burnout' set)

once again i complete the movement with my torso bent right over and with the weight parallel to my body

the point of these movements is just to fill the muscles with blood until they cannot move anymore

i train tris and bis on separate days

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:57:14 AM »
Thanks.  It could still be a bodyfat issue but it's odd that my arms look so much better from the outside than the inside. 
try changing your grip on BB curls...i think also with DBs you can twist and rotate your hands. maybe also your genetics, some people have long full biceps and some have short high biceps(as i have).

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:28 AM »
I found when I went away from standard barbell curls and alt db curls and switched over do Preacher curls (db or barbell) Hammer Curls, and Concentration Curls I found my best results for my body.

Also...21's would be worth trying....they can really be great to change things up from your current stale routine and still have a real freeweight movement.

MDN

ps- Love those old Arnold Encyclopedia pics lol.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:47:36 AM »
I routinely perform Scott-style preacher barbell curls with a wide grip and elbows close together, and have noticed increased development/detail in the inner-bicipital region with no change in BF levels; although lowering body fat will certainly help with visible definition for anyone.

If your goal is to achieve that biceps "split," then you may wish to devote attention to both heads of the bi's by incorporating close and wide grip curl work. Again, diet will help with visibility.

To add that extra dimension (roundness) to your anterior arm, consider performing exercises that emphasize the brachialis muscle, which runs almost parallel to, then eventually crosses under the the middle of the two bicep heads.
It is a popular belief that such movements may help add at least some "peak" to individuals who otherwise lack it. Spider-curls, concentration-curls, supine cable curls to the forehead, and other curl movements in which the elbows are away from your side accomplish this.
At the very least, you may add some overall size to the bi's, which no one ever complains about.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:34 AM »
monty makes a good point

the top 3 determinants for muscle separation are:

1. Genetics
  2. Bodyfat %
  3. Muscle Size (much of which is determined by genetics)

You got what you got

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:37:21 AM »
monty makes a good point

the top 3 determinants for muscle separation are:

1. Genetics
  2. Bodyfat %
  3. Muscle Size (much of which is determined by genetics)

You got what you got

Thanks.
I firmly believe that you can't change your genetic blueprint, but you can certainly take steps to maximize what you've got.

I also suspect that many people who whine about poor genetics probably haven't done even half of what it takes to make proper progress. They'd rather play the blame game while only reaching about 30-60 percent of their true potential.

A lot of folks may be surprised at the changes they can make when doing EVERYTHING right. Not everyone has pro potential, but everyone can improve.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 06:49:03 AM »
yes Montague....BE ALL YOU CAN BE  ;) everyone can improve their posture and slow down the aging process by weight training, improve your confidence and well being.people treat you different when you look in shape.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
I concur with donny on the incline db curls