Author Topic: Zuver's Gym  (Read 85875 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Zuver's Gym
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
miller owns and operates the nazareth barbell company, actually don't know if it's still in existance.

Didn't he also have a developmental contract with WWF a few years back?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »

Didn't he also have a developmental contract with WWF a few years back?
yup, he was in the wxw the samoan's wrestling school in allentown they mostly wrestled at the mountainville fire co or something like that. their big event was sportsfest in allentown every year. he lost over 100 lbs and last i heard he's trying mma.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
never saw that pic in color before i was thinking you were going to post the biggest dumbell... ;D ;D

You mean this one?
Many tried to move this one. Some got it to budge. But that was rare.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
;D paul a

Dad took us to visit Paul back in 1965. I'm going to try to post a pic or two.
Sorry guys it tells me my pic files are to big.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
Dad took us to visit Paul back in 1965. I'm going to try to post a pic or two.
Sorry guys it tells me my pic files are to big.
RZ

There we go. This was at his home back in 1965. We spent the day fooling around his place. I will be posting some shots of his workout gym as soon as I get them scanned.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
There we go. This was at his home back in 1965. We spent the day fooling around his place. I will be posting some shots of his workout gym as soon as I get them scanned.

One more Of Paul with his baby girl.
That's me as a boy on his front porch.
RZ

POTA

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
Sounds like he would have liked pop old gym.
He could have tried this big ole lift.
RZ

Never seen this in so much detail. It looks like a lot of effort and engineering went into creating it while virtually no one was probably ever able to budge it. Crazy cool.

POTA

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »

Straight up monster. I'm guessing he broke a chair or two in his life.

POTA

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
You mean this one?
RZ

I originally thought this was really just a display and a hollow piece of plastic bolted down. But it's a real, enormous dumbbell actually sitting on the damned rack posts. Your dad was like a mad scientist.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »

I originally thought this was really just a display and a hollow piece of plastic bolted down. But it's a real, enormous dumbbell actually sitting on the damned rack posts. Your dad was like a mad scientist.

All the Big stuff wasn't there just for show. Many a big guy came by to try somthing they had never tried before. Most failed, but tried over and over agin. One can always hope.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »
All the Big stuff wasn't there just for show. Many a big guy came by to try somthing they had never tried before. Most failed, but tried over and over agin. One can always hope.
RZ

How many can do over 300lb with one finge???
Big Jim Waters could.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:48 AM »
Big Jim Waters could. This picture he was only doing 248lbs. Jim is still compeating in powerlifting as a pro today.
[/quote

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
Big Jim Waters could. This picture he was only doing 248lbs. Jim is still compeating in powerlifting as a pro today.
[/quote

Here is a piece of Zuver history. Two of the Zuver's Hall of Fame Gold Certificates that were given to though's that earned them. The year was 1966. The names I'm sure you will know. The Red Star meant they made it in two classes. The Green Star was for three. Terry Todd was a three Star guy.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Here is a piece of Zuver history. Two of the Zuver's Hall of Fame Gold Certificates that were given to though's that earned them. The year was 1966. The names I'm sure you will know. The Red Star meant they made it in two classes. The Green Star was for three. Terry Todd was a three Star guy.
RZ

Just a few more shots of there certificates different than the first. It's hard to beleave that after all these years there are still some of these left to be seen.
PS
Sadly I don't have the third one on Terry.
RZ

POTA

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
RZ
Nice shots. I remember seeing a very blurry version of Hal's plaque on Dave's site, but nothing in this kind of quality.

Who had the best curl out of the guy's who lifted there?

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
Nice shots. I remember seeing a very blurry version of Hal's plaque on Dave's site, but nothing in this kind of quality.

Who had the best curl out of the guy's who lifted there?

One word   " ANDERSON".  Terry Todd wasn't no one to laught at also.
Here is Terry playing around with Big Joe, one of our odd lifts. How's that POTA for a one arm curl?
This is a picture no one has seen before.
Enjoy
RZ

POTA

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »
One word   " ANDERSON".  Terry Todd wasn't no one to laught at also.
Here is Terry playing around with Big Joe, one of our odd lifts. How's that POTA for a one arm curl?
This is a picture no one has seen before.
Enjoy
RZ

Someone on a message board (I forget which) claimed to see Paul lift quite a bit in the past and said that his arms were extremely WEAK. I remember finding that claim odd, as your dad had said he saw Paul curl the 300 pound curl bar at your gym. And now with you saying that Paul's arms were the strongest, I really have trouble believing that person.
Awesome picture of Terry. I've actually never heard of the Big Joe odd lift before. How much did that bad boy weigh?

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »
Someone on a message board (I forget which) claimed to see Paul lift quite a bit in the past and said that his arms were extremely WEAK. I remember finding that claim odd, as your dad had said he saw Paul curl the 300 pound curl bar at your gym. And now with you saying that Paul's arms were the strongest, I really have trouble believing that person.
Awesome picture of Terry. I've actually never heard of the Big Joe odd lift before. How much did that bad boy weigh?

You can't beleave everything you read.
Paul's arms weak??? Not likely. Any one that could one arm press 300lbs plus can curl 300lbs with two arms don't you think. True he was known for his leg and back stranght. That doesn't mean that he was weak with his arms. Here is some shots of him lifting 300lbs plus. Also a list of some of his best lifts. You be the judge.

And Big Joe that Terry was one arm curling with weighed 125lbs. Not a world record, but a nice workout in street clothes back in the day.
RZ
RZ

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2012, 12:14:16 PM »
You mean this one?
RZ
those are the pics. ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
Very good. Guess the picture gave it away.
Email me with a mailing address and ill send you a set of the Zuver window stickers.
Thanks Bob Z.
got them today robert , i  put them in plastic cases to add to my collection. thanks again.
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
Great thread Robert. Richard showed me all his Zuver pictures at the AOBS this year.
Great stuff!

~Dave

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »
got them today robert , i  put them in plastic cases to add to my collection. thanks again.

Your welcome my friend. Glad you like them. They are the real deal from the late 60s through the 70s. Pop sold them at the old gym.
Thanks for makeing me feel welcome to this site.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
Great thread Robert. Richard showed me all his Zuver pictures at the AOBS this year.
Great stuff!

~Dave

Richard does get around doesn't he? I just got back from town and the photo lab where they switched 500 slides into photos on a cd for me., I havnt even seen these photos yet. There will be a lot more stories coming. Guess ill need to start a new Zuver's thread.
RZ

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »
Just wanted to let you know Mr. Zuver that your time and effort in contributing to this website are very much appreciated. What a blast from the past, a better time and place in my humble opinion.

Be safe and strong,

Big Pat

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
Just wanted to let you know Mr. Zuver that your time and effort in contributing to this website are very much appreciated. What a blast from the past, a better time and place in my humble opinion.

Be safe and strong,

Big Pat

Thanks Big Pat.
When I started posting on this site I just wanted to see if anyone here new of Zuver's Gym. Remember it was a long time ago. For being an Old west coast gym it had a long lasting impact on the muscle world. I'm glad that my stories of the past are of intrest to so many today. I've been posting on other sites also and have received a lot of great feedback. I hope you will continue to enjoy.
Thanks
RZ