Author Topic: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney  (Read 74169 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney & the GOP
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
and anyway... the last 2 "businessman" presidents were Hoover and Dubya... lol...
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/the-wrong-resume/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Thanks for saving me the trouble of pointing that out.  ::)

What I find most interesting about Romney’s candidacy is how his campaigns effectively ignored his tenure as governor.  In the course of his campaigns (especially the most recent one) his time in office was almost completely ignored.  Typically, former governors point to their many accomplishments in office as evidence of what they can, and will, do if elected President.  That was not the case with Romney.  Why is that?

Any one living in Massachusetts can tell you why: when Romney left the governor’s office he was deeply unpopular to put it mildly.  He only served one term and he did not stand a snowball’s chance in hell of winning a second term and everyone knew it—including him.  He did not even try to run for a second term. :-X

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »
Thanks for saving me the trouble of pointing that out.  ::)

What I find most interesting about Romney’s candidacy is how his campaigns effectively ignored his tenure as governor.  In the course of his campaigns (especially the most recent one) his time in office was almost completely ignored.  Typically, former governors point to their many accomplishments in office as evidence of what they can, and will, do if elected President.  That was not the case with Romney.  Why is that?

Any one living in Massachusetts can tell you why: when Romney left the governor’s office he was deeply unpopular to put it mildly.  He only served one term and he did not stand a snowball’s chance in hell of winning a second term and everyone knew it—including him.  He did not even try to run for a second term. :-X
what was bush's business acumen?

try and follow along here and use specific examples of why you think a person with a business background is bad for the country.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
what was bush's business acumen?

Dubya = MBA, ran companies.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_life_of_George_W._Bush#Business

Business experience is nice, but you're talking theory.  I'm not sure you can really show us examples of how presidents from the business world had success.  Like I said, Hoover and Bush, who essentially brought us Great depression 1 and nearly part 2 in 2007/2008, they were the two big business background presidents.

Like I said, it looks good on paper, but in real life, it's really those good with people and good with organizational structure that have the success.  Presidents are given advice by those in business, but more specifically, those with advanced economics and statistics training.   We're talking macro to the tune of trillions of $ and 300 million americans.  Bush running an oil company, talking to execs all day, really doesn't help there.  Reagan running a massive state with many interdependent systems and diverse populations, interest groups, yet that helped a lot.  

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
damn it youre fucking dense, you dont have to run the govt like a business to make use of business experience.

You see if you understand how a business works and its goals you have a much easier time to get achieve your goals b/c you can help align your interests and make it where businesses want to change.

Tax inversion is a great example, what obama wants to do is simply do away with it and then tackle corporate tax reform. The issue is that not a single fucking person believes that he will play tit for tat with any fairness. If he made it where business paid less of a % in taxes but also made it more advantageous to keep money here the US would eventually end up getting more in tax money.

You see working with business, not against them like obama has continually done.

History says your wrong,but that never got in your way of making an argument  :D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »
Dubya = MBA, ran companies.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_life_of_George_W._Bush#Business

Business experience is nice, but you're talking theory.  I'm not sure you can really show us examples of how presidents from the business world had success.  Like I said, Hoover and Bush, who essentially brought us Great depression 1 and nearly part 2 in 2007/2008, they were the two big business background presidents.

Like I said, it looks good on paper, but in real life, it's really those good with people and good with organizational structure that have the success.  Presidents are given advice by those in business, but more specifically, those with advanced economics and statistics training.   We're talking macro to the tune of trillions of $ and 300 million americans.  Bush running an oil company, talking to execs all day, really doesn't help there.  Reagan running a massive state with many interdependent systems and diverse populations, interest groups, yet that helped a lot.  
bush's business experience looks sub par to me. Founded a company that was in bad shape and got bought out, was made president of the acquiring company and it folded into another company.

What did bush do to bring us the great recession again?

I guess I can agree with you so long as the president is smart enough to know what he doesnt know place ppl around him that know about business and take their advice.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
History says your wrong,but thatnever hot in your way of making an argument  :D
really? hows that?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
really? hows that?

Look at history business men havn't done well as president .but i'm sure you'll make up your own history, most repubs do LOL

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
Look at history business men havn't done well as president .but i'm sure you'll make up your own history, most repubs do LOL
and non businessmen have?

would you care to point out some examples of the different policies that each group have passed and how they have effected the country?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »
and non businessmen have?

would you care to point out some examples of the different policies that each group have passed and how they have effected the country?

You said a businessmen would make a good president history says your wrong.sorry lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
bush's business experience looks sub par to me. Founded a company that was in bad shape and got bought out, was made president of the acquiring company and it folded into another company.

What did bush do to bring us the great recession again?

I guess I can agree with you so long as the president is smart enough to know what he doesnt know place ppl around him that know about business and take their advice.

So now you're narrowing down the two "business" presidents of the last century to "those who kicked ass in business"?

LOL there were only two, Bush and Hoover.  

And if you want to know what Bush and both the dems/repubs did from 2001 to 2007 to lead us to nearly a second depression, well, that's funding two wars, remember?  Oh, and Bush's ability to "work WITH business", as you stated, sure helped when he essentially bailed out banks to the point of 700 billion because, well, he sure hated the idea of regulatin' them haha.  

Aside from what looks good on paper, there ARE NO GOOD EXAMPLES of modern presidents from the business world being good at the job of President.  they'd probably do fine, but historically, the examples aren't there, sorry.  

Bottom line?  Business presidents are good for the top 1% that profit from wars and depressions.  History shows that.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
So now you're narrowing down the two "business" presidents of the last century to "those who kicked ass in business"?

And if you want to know what Bush and both the dems/repubs did from 2001 to 2007 to lead us to nearly a second depression, well, that's funding two wars, remember?  Oh, and Bush's ability to "work WITH business", as you stated, sure helped when he essentially bailed out banks to the point of 700 billion because, well, he sure hated the idea of regulatin' them haha.  

Aside from what looks good on paper, there ARE NO GOOD EXAMPLES of modern presidents from the business world being good at the job of President.  they'd probably do fine, but historically, the examples aren't there, sorry.  

Bottom line?  Business presidents are good for the top 1% that profit from wars and depressions.  History shows that.

This clown can never admit hes wrong

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
bush's business experience looks sub par to me.

Bush was an EXCELLENT businessman.   He used other people's money, made trades before everyone else, beat the rap on insider trading, and made KILLER ROI in baseball.  Bush personally received $14.9 million for his $600,000 investment in the Rangers.  

Stop hatin' on bush lol.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »

You said a businessmen would make a good president history says your wrong.sorry lol
no I said a businessman who understands businesses goals and how they work and uses that to align their goals with govt is what the country needs

again I am waiting for you to back up your statements.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »

And if you want to know what Bush and both the dems/repubs did from 2001 to 2007 to lead us to nearly a second depression, well, that's funding two wars, remember?  Oh, and Bush's ability to "work WITH business", as you stated, sure helped when he essentially bailed out banks to the point of 700 billion because, well, he sure hated the idea of regulatin' them haha. 

Aside from what looks good on paper, there ARE NO GOOD EXAMPLES of modern presidents from the business world being good at the job of President.  they'd probably do fine, but historically, the examples aren't there, sorry. 

Bottom line?  Business presidents are good for the top 1% that profit from wars and depressions.  History shows that.
LOL yes starting a business with your family and their money and then having it bought out b/c it wasnt doing good then having your next company bought out b/c it wasnt doing good doesnt make you a succesful business man

the bailouts of the banking system as shitty as they were was a necessity for the country.

IF its true that they are the only 2 with business experience then I dont think any honest person can say that a business man is not what is needed based on such a small sample.

If anything what we can conclude is that a non business presidents have destroyed this country, that is unless you think only these two were responsible for the shitty state of the union?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
no I said a businessman who understands businesses goals and how they work and uses that to align their goals with govt is what the country needs

Hahaha can't admit he's wrong , what i said is that the successful bissnessmen has not made a good president sorry thats history. Lol. Look it up

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »

you're always shitting on my MBA... what's your degree in again? 

Dude, "a president that understands business goals and how they work" - WTF does that even mean? 

There's a reason we don't have many business presidents, and the ones we do have, end up putting us into depressions lol.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
you're always shitting on my MBA... what's your degree in again? 

Dude, "a president that understands business goals and how they work" - WTF does that even mean? 

There's a reason we don't have many business presidents, and the ones we do have, end up putting us into depressions lol.

Hey hey stop thowing facts around.getbigs own Shawn hannity uses his own made up factsLOL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
f

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »
did they base president business on pres. bush?

i know they used will ferrell, and he did a really funny Bush. 

Bush WAS the business president.

and he kicked serious ass at business, no doubt.  Made a fortune with other people's cash, totally smart.  Could have retired, decided to be governor lol.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2014, 05:56:57 AM »
Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan Beg Each Other to Run for President
By Russell Berman

Mitt Romney and Rep. Paul Ryan sat down for their first joint interview since losing the 2012 presidential race on Thursday night, and after the customary round of bashing President Obama, Megyn Kelly of Fox News got down to the key question of the moment: Which of them is going to run for president in 2016?

What followed was some awkward laughter and a presidential game of chicken.

RYAN: "I'll give it to him."

ROMNEY: "He's very generous, but I had my turn. It's his turn now."

RYAN: "He should do it."

The mutual fawning continued after the interview at an event afterward in Chicago, where according to the Associated Press, Ryan teased Romney, who has twice run for the White House, that "the third time's the charm."

Romney returned the compliment by saying his former running mate "wouldn't be a bad president" himself. Earlier this week, Ryan joked to Bloomberg Television that if Romney tried again, "I'd drive his bus if he asked me to."

In reality, neither of the two men is likely to run in 2016.

Romney has settled into a role of elder G.O.P. statesman since his loss to Obama, and "third time's the charm" has never really applied to presidential campaigns, unless your name is Ronald Reagan.

Ryan, the House Republican budget chief, is considering a bid next time around, and he now out on tour promoting a new book that reads suspiciously like a campaign-style memoir. But he has also made clear that he is eager to take on the powerful-but-taxing job of chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee next year, and colleagues doubt that the 44-year-old father of three young children will jump into the race.

Ryan heaps praise on Romney in his new book, The Way Forward, but his push for Republicans to reach out to new voters and preach beyond the choir is an implicit critique of Romney's 2012 campaign, which made little headway with young or minority voters.

The two running mates capped off their reunion with, what else, an ALS Ice Bucket Challenge video. Ryan dumped the water on Romney, who in typical Romney fashion, barely reacted. "It is cold," he said, before challenging his wife Ann and his former Saturday Night Live impersonator, Jason Sudeikis.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: August 27, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
Mitt Romney: 'Circumstances can change'
By: Lucy McCalmont

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has repeatedly said he is not planning to run for president in 2016 but acknowledged Tuesday that “circumstances can change.”

“Circumstances can change, but I’m just not going to let my head go there,” Romney said during an interview on the nationally syndicated radio PROGRAM “The Hugh Hewitt Show.”

“I had the chance of running,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee told Hewitt. “I didn’t win. Someone else has a better chance than I do. And that’s what we believe, and that’s why I’m not running.”

Romney referenced a scene from the movie “Dumb and Dumber,” when pressed about running again for the GOP nomination, saying the chance he’d run is “one of a million.”

“Let’s say all the guys that were running all came together and said, ‘Hey, we’ve decided we can’t do it, you must do it.’ That’s the one of a million we’re thinking about,” Romney said.

Romney’s former running mate, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, is one person who has said he wishes Romney would run again.

“I sure wish he would,” Ryan said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “I think he’d make a phenomenal president. He has the intellect, the honor, the character and the temperament to be a fantastic president. … But he keeps saying that he’s not going to run.”

On Tuesday, Romney CONTINUED to bat away a bid, saying a possible GOP contender “not defined yet” and “perhaps … from the next generation” could take on Hillary Clinton if she becomes the Democratic nominee.

“Had I believed I would actually be best positioned to beat Hillary Clinton, then I would be running,” Romney said.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2014, 06:22:16 PM »
Mitt Romney will run in 2016 and crush the opposition
by Dwight L. Schwab Jr.

It was exactly 34-years-ago today Republican presidential nominee Ronald Reagan launched his 1980 bid to replace President Jimmy Carter. In New York Harbor, with the Statue of Liberty in the background, Reagan gave an inspiring speech about freedom in what would be a campaign that ended in his landslide victory some 60-days later.

There are many pundits, frightened Democrats, even Mitt Romney himself, who scoff at the thought of him running a third time for president in 2016. But 34-years-ago today, it was the beginning of Ronald Reagan’s third try also. Last night in New York City, Mitt Romney could be heard in a roundtable radio discussion hosted by John Catsimatidis beginning his third attempt at the presidency.

Romney spoke with passion of Barack Obama's critical mistakes that have enabled the rise of the Islamic State (ISIS) and created the immigration crisis at the country's southern border. Not unlike Ronald Reagan’s style, he was soft-spoken as he said of his 2012 opponent, “Mistakes were made and now we have ISIS."

The two-time presidential contender argued with conviction that ISIS has only gained power because America did not listen to his plan to contain Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. He convincingly laid out the reality that a president cannot draw a line in the sand, as Obama did, and then relent when it is crossed.

With refreshing candor missing from any established presidential contenders thus far, Romney said, "If you go back a few years when Syria fell into revolution and tumult, when rebels were pushing against Assad, I laid out what I thought was a prudent course for us to see stability in Syria. Had we followed that course, there's a good chance you would not see an ISIS today."

He accused Obama of failing to heed American intelligence reports of the growing threat while he tended to domestic projects like Obamacare and redistribution of wealth. He said had proposed plan, which much of the mainstream press labeled “warmongering,” been done to back the revolutionaries in Syria, America wouldn’t be where it is today.

It was a very different, more forceful Romney many heard on the radio in New York City last night. Instead of his usual speech that is left unfinished, he finished his thoughts with a highly critical critique of President Obama’s handling of the Middle East crisis. He said, "We saw ISIS roll into Iraq and, instead of attacking them immediately and knocking them in their convoy when they would have been easy to knock down, relatively easy to knock down, the president again watched. And now we're in a position where ISIS has run throughout major portions of Iraq. There have been horrific human rights abuses, tragedies."

America is seeing the new Mitt Romney who would not have basically left the 2012 campaign two weeks before the job was completed. Hillary Clinton and others most certainly are watching this Mitt Romney with keen interest. He is indeed a candidate in 2016. Those who think otherwise are the most worried they are wrong.

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
Mitt Romney will run in 2016 and crush the opposition
by Dwight L. Schwab Jr.

It was exactly 34-years-ago today Republican presidential nominee Ronald Reagan launched his 1980 bid to replace President Jimmy Carter. In New York Harbor, with the Statue of Liberty in the background, Reagan gave an inspiring speech about freedom in what would be a campaign that ended in his landslide victory some 60-days later.

There are many pundits, frightened Democrats, even Mitt Romney himself, who scoff at the thought of him running a third time for president in 2016. But 34-years-ago today, it was the beginning of Ronald Reagan’s third try also. Last night in New York City, Mitt Romney could be heard in a roundtable radio discussion hosted by John Catsimatidis beginning his third attempt at the presidency.

Romney spoke with passion of Barack Obama's critical mistakes that have enabled the rise of the Islamic State (ISIS) and created the immigration crisis at the country's southern border. Not unlike Ronald Reagan’s style, he was soft-spoken as he said of his 2012 opponent, “Mistakes were made and now we have ISIS."

The two-time presidential contender argued with conviction that ISIS has only gained power because America did not listen to his plan to contain Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. He convincingly laid out the reality that a president cannot draw a line in the sand, as Obama did, and then relent when it is crossed.

With refreshing candor missing from any established presidential contenders thus far, Romney said, "If you go back a few years when Syria fell into revolution and tumult, when rebels were pushing against Assad, I laid out what I thought was a prudent course for us to see stability in Syria. Had we followed that course, there's a good chance you would not see an ISIS today."

He accused Obama of failing to heed American intelligence reports of the growing threat while he tended to domestic projects like Obamacare and redistribution of wealth. He said had proposed plan, which much of the mainstream press labeled “warmongering,” been done to back the revolutionaries in Syria, America wouldn’t be where it is today.

It was a very different, more forceful Romney many heard on the radio in New York City last night. Instead of his usual speech that is left unfinished, he finished his thoughts with a highly critical critique of President Obama’s handling of the Middle East crisis. He said, "We saw ISIS roll into Iraq and, instead of attacking them immediately and knocking them in their convoy when they would have been easy to knock down, relatively easy to knock down, the president again watched. And now we're in a position where ISIS has run throughout major portions of Iraq. There have been horrific human rights abuses, tragedies."

America is seeing the new Mitt Romney who would not have basically left the 2012 campaign two weeks before the job was completed. Hillary Clinton and others most certainly are watching this Mitt Romney with keen interest. He is indeed a candidate in 2016. Those who think otherwise are the most worried they are wrong.
Yep, 2016 will finally be his year.  lol ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2014, 03:27:45 AM »
Romney 2016? Nooooo!
By Marc A. Thiessen

In the 1991 movie “Naked Gun 2 ½,” Police Lt. Frank Drebin drinks away his sorrows in a blues bar while sad music plays and the camera pans across a wall with pictures depicting the worst disasters in history: the Chicago fire . . . the Hindenburg . . . the Titanic . . . and Michael Dukakis.

If they did a remake today, they would replace Dukakis’s picture on the wall with one of another Massachusetts governor: Mitt Romney.

Talk of a Romney 2016 run is heating up. A USA Today poll shows Romney with a huge lead in Iowa, far ahead of 14 other potential GOP candidates. And after months of Shermanesque denials, Romney recently cracked the door open to another presidential bid, telling radio host Hugh Hewitt that “circumstances can change.”

To which I say: Nooooo!

Don’t get me wrong, I wish Mitt Romney were president right now. And apparently so do a majority of Americans. A recent poll found that if the 2012 election were held today, Romney would beat Obama by 53 percent to 44 percent. But those numbers more likely reflect buyer’s remorse with Barack Obama than a sudden longing for a Romney administration. Indeed, the very same poll showed Romney losing to Hillary Clinton by 55 percent to 44 percent — not exactly the result Republicans are looking for in 2016.

In 2012, Romney got the nomination because he was running in one of the weakest fields the GOP had ever put forward. Just as Defense Secretary Don Rumsfeld used to say that Guantanamo Bay was the “least worst” place to hold captured terrorists, Romney was like the Guantanamo Bay of candidates — the “least worst” person the GOP could nominate that year.

In 2016, Republicans have a much stronger field of potential candidates to choose from. Thanks to the GOP’s sweep of statehouses in recent years, a slew of successful governors other than Romney could run, including Mike Pence, Bobby Jindal, Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Chris Christie and Scott Walker. There is no need to settle for the “least worst” candidate this time around.

No doubt Romney has been vindicated since 2012. He was right about Russia and correct when he warned that Obamacare would force millions to lose their health plans. But let’s not forget that Romney was also a horrible presidential candidate. He faced one of the most vulnerable incumbents in modern times — and found a way to lose.

He made huge tactical errors — from not responding to Obama’s devastating personal attacks all summer to letting Obama harness the power of data like a Bain Capital numbers-cruncher while Romney’s data-mining effort crashed and burned like, well, Solyndra.

But what ultimately cost Romney the election was a lack of vision — a flaw that is uncorrectable. Romney had changed positions so often over his career that by 2012 no one knew what he really believed.

Because he presented such a blank canvas, Romney allowed Obama to paint him as an unacceptable alternative. Indeed, he often took the brush in his own hands and did Obama’s job for him. Like when he told auto workers his wife “drives a couple of Cadillacs” . . . or described himself as “severely conservative” (something no actual conservative would say) . . . or declared that “corporations are people, my friend” . . . or offered to bet Texas Gov. Rick Perry “10 thousand bucks” . . . or said “I like being able to fire people” . . . or declared his immigration policy was “self-deportation” . . . or announced “I’m not concerned about the very poor” . . . or dismissed 47 percent of the country as a bunch of moochers “who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them.”

After this series of self-inflicted wounds, little wonder that only 35 percent of Americans said they believed that Romney cared about the poor, and just 38 percent said Romney “cares about people like me.” You can’t win an election when most Americans think you don’t care about them.

Why would Republicans want to relive that debacle? Mitt Romney is an utterly decent man who certainly would have been a much better president than Barack Obama. But he was given a golden opportunity to save the United States from a second Obama term and blew it.

Do Republicans really want to count on him to save the United States from Clinton’s first term?