Author Topic: hashimotos disease  (Read 34209 times)

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
hashimotos disease
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »
Went for a physical, bloodwork came back with weird thyroid values. Doctor started spitting out words like hashimotos, graves and celiac disease, took more blood and told me come back in 3 weeks.
 Have been pretty fortunate to be healthy up until this year, had a bad lung infection this summer and think it may have set off something with the auto-immune system.
 It would explain the weight gain, lethargy, itching, migraines and excessive trips to the bathroom.

My thyroid peroxidase antibody is supposed to be between 0 and 59, mine came back 1904. My TSH is also very low. I am just now learning about this condition, was hoping someone here may know a good way to get healthy again.
 Right now the doc has just got me on probiotics and some digestive enzymes while waiting for more information.
time under tension

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: hashimotos disease
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »
more a question for someone on here with a Medical background.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »
True, though there are some pretty smart people here that know a lot about the human body.
time under tension

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »
I think as long as your Doctor gives you a green light to do sport then i would start on a basic programme like anyone else. I take it you have training experience so you know what to do. I had a friend with i think what you have and he put on a lot of weight. He found cardio very difficult and started very slowly. I also take it you are training naturally? maybe that is also a consideration if you are taking medication. There are a couple of good guys on here who have a good solid background in Medicine.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »
yes it´s what he has but it´s called in German "schilddrüsenunterfunktion" and i remember he was going to get an op which he did not want and never did, this was a few years back. I have not seen him for a while but as far as i know he still does swimming.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
I lift, run and take a boxing class every week. I am on a testosterone gel but thats all, wish there was more of that stuff.  :D I have gained 20 lbs in two months even after busting ass and eating clean.

time under tension

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
Doctor started spitting out words like hashimotos, graves and celiac disease...My thyroid peroxidase antibody is supposed to be between 0 and 59, mine came back 1904. My TSH is also very low.

It's not my area of involvement, but GEEZUS...I remember seeing hashimoto/graves disease mentioned one time in one text book in one class. Our professor was a pathology expert and I think discussed it for about 30 seconds and included one related question on a test or quiz.
This is honestly the first time I've seen it mentioned since that class.

Anyway, did your doc mention anything about putting you on Synthroid?

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
not yet, had my blood shipped off for some nutritional cellular level test. supposed to go over the results dec 3.
time under tension

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
not yet, had my blood shipped off for some nutritional cellular level test. supposed to go over the results dec 3.
keep us informed, i am interested too.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Someone who used to post here a lot had been diagnosed w/Hashimoto's.   I think it may have been a wrong diagnosis but I can't remember all the details other than they did discover they had thyroid cancer.

Do not panic, they had the thyroid removed and are doing quite well now.  But they may have more info re: Hashimoto's than most of us.  I will email this thread to them.  Hope everything turns out well for you also!
R

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »
thanks, I have been reading about it seems the only treatment is to take dessicated thyroid. I`m hoping they can tell me whats wrong next monday. Its rough when you wake up and you are already exhausted, frickin eyeball twitchin and its really hard to think straight.
time under tension

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
The blood tests showed I need to take manganese, magnesium and folic acid. I don`t think they know whats wrong with me so they just keep adding supplements to the list. The doc wants a saliva test next. Maybe if they drag this stuff out long enough it will fix itself.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:33:05 AM »
The blood tests showed I need to take manganese, magnesium and folic acid. I don`t think they know whats wrong with me so they just keep adding supplements to the list. The doc wants a saliva test next. Maybe if they drag this stuff out long enough it will fix itself.
i hope you get better and get your peace...

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »

Did you get contacted yet by the person i was talking about?  I think they intended to but got side tracked.  What happened to your other account?
R

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
I never heard anything, I messed up my other account by changing the email address and then could not re-access it so instead of making a fuss I just started new.

Thanks for the kind words Donny.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
Your welcome .. :)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »
I never heard anything, I messed up my other account by changing the email address and then could not re-access it so instead of making a fuss I just started new.

Thanks for the kind words Donny.

I'll email the thread again. 

I take extra magnesium and it really seems to help w/leg cramps.  My w/o partner used to have pain in her legs almost every night (not like cramps I guess) and when she started taking mag, they went away.  Not sure if that relates to you at all..just saying that I think mag is a good sup...at least for those things anyway.

Get well :)
R

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »
I started on a heavy course of supplements Monday and am already feeling better,

Alpha lipoic acid
 B complex
 C 500mg
 D3 5000
 Digestive enzymes
 Fish Oil
 L- Glutamine
 Magnesium
 Mens Multi
 Probiotics

waiting on the Manganese and Chelator to ship in today.

I did not have much faith in the cellular level blood test but it has proved me wrong, the day after I started feeding my body what that test said I was low on I could feel a difference, pretty amazing.
 I`m hoping that after a while my thyroid values will come back to normal.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
I started on a heavy course of supplements Monday and am already feeling better,

Alpha lipoic acid
 B complex
 C 500mg
 D3 5000
 Digestive enzymes
 Fish Oil
 L- Glutamine
 Magnesium
 Mens Multi
 Probiotics

waiting on the Manganese and Chelator to ship in today.

I did not have much faith in the cellular level blood test but it has proved me wrong, the day after I started feeding my body what that test said I was low on I could feel a difference, pretty amazing.
 I`m hoping that after a while my thyroid values will come back to normal.
quite a list.. are you still training ok or are you finding your energy levels low at times?

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:26 AM »
I haven`t done anything except walk a couple miles up the mountain with the dogs and work. I was thinking about going for a run and working on the heavy bag this afternoon, I could use it for my brain more than anything else.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
I haven`t done anything except walk a couple miles up the mountain with the dogs and work. I was thinking about going for a run and working on the heavy bag this afternoon, I could use it for my brain more than anything else.
well walking is ok..a good long walk will do more than you think. Remember when i was very ill with Colites ulserosa i was on medication and just put on weight and i felt like shit. I was running and i think i nearly had a heart attack.. anyway my Doc said to me and was angry .."are you crazy??" "you are very ill". well after that i thought OK fuck it i will walk. I walked every Day 1 hour and i really concentrated on my breathing and getting fresh air in my lungs. This made more difference to me than the medication. Walking is fine and get lots of fresh air. I was very ill but now a few years on i feel great and never take tablets anymore..infact my last check up was only.. small activity in my colon(30cm is ill) but i can live with it. I can´t eat some things but well that is just the way it is.. as they used to say "stiff upper lip" ;) I have lived with this illness over 10years.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Thats a good story Donny. I do the walking thing pretty regular, it has been a big help fighting off depression for me.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
Thats a good story Donny. I do the walking thing pretty regular, it has been a big help fighting off depression for me.
one of the greatest Bodybuilders of all time walked..Steve Reeves. I think walking you can really relax and get some O2 in there.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »
Thought I would go ahead and update this thread since it has been 4 weeks now.

Since I have been taking the specified vitamin and mineral supplements something amazing for me has started to occur. My appetite has been really, really manageable. I mean to the point were food does not bother me and I am not constantly hungry. Before starting this my appetite was ravenous and I was constantly hungry.
 It makes sense to me now that my body was starved for some particular vitamin or nutrient and kept telling me to eat, it was a constant battle making dieting extremely tough and dieting made things worse.
 The only thing really keeping me from ballooning was that I like to stay active.
 I am completely content now on 1500 to 1800 calories as long as what I am eating is quality and timed correctly, the weight is not exactly coming off which is OK because it is now moving more where I want it.
 I got some good advice from Donny about quality training vs quantity and have been sticking to that and it seems to be paying off as well.
  But here is the main point I want to make, if you are struggling with diet there may be something more going on. I always thought it was me just acting like a fatass, but my body was physically craving food. I just did not know what it chemically needed. Once that part of the riddle was solved a lot of things seem to be falling into place.
 Probably be another couple months before the thyroid values are checked again but hopefully that will fall back into line as well.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »
A very good post and good advice. Makes you think too. Great to hear you are better.