Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
April 17, 2014, 09:22:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain this... Electrical Wiring  (Read 437 times)
Roger Bacon
Getbig V
*****
Posts: 17618


"Big" Roger F. Neegars


View Profile
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:04:40 AM »

When I touch a pot on my electric range (with it on), and touch the metal range hood I get shocked.

The range hood frame is grounded, and the electric element the pot is sitting on is wired hot.


How would this not electrocute you?  Is this a design flaw?  WTF?
Report to moderator   Logged

Primemuscle
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 8702


Be honest...


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:16:34 AM »

When I touch a pot on my electric range (with it on), and touch the metal range hood I get shocked.

The range hood frame is grounded, and the electric element the pot is sitting on is wired hot.


How would this not electrocute you?  Is this a design flaw?  WTF?

Chances are the electric element on your stove has a loose connection and isn't grounded. Does this happen with all the electric elements on the stove top or just one? Also when a lose wire touches the stove top itself, it becomes an open circuit. The pot being metal transfers the short to you when you touch it. You would also probably get a shock if you touched the pot and the stove top (not the element).

If this is what is causing the problem, rewiring the element isn't that difficult. Be sure to shut off all power to the stove though before you attempt a fix.
Report to moderator   Logged
magikusar
Time Out
Getbig IV
*
Posts: 2831


Team Ayn Rand


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »

you are a mutant with lightning powers
Report to moderator   Logged
WOOO
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 15896


Mr. Unpopular


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »

nothing that a shotgun can't fix
Report to moderator   Logged
Roger Bacon
Getbig V
*****
Posts: 17618


"Big" Roger F. Neegars


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »

Chances are the electric element on your stove has a loose connection and isn't grounded. Does this happen with all the electric elements on the stove top or just one? Also when a lose wire touches the stove top itself, it becomes an open circuit. The pot being metal transfers the short to you when you touch it. You would also probably get a shock if you touched the pot and the stove top (not the element).

If this is what is causing the problem, rewiring the element isn't that difficult. Be sure to shut off all power to the stove though before you attempt a fix.

Thank you, that makes sense.  I'm getting a gas stove, just wondered about this.

Report to moderator   Logged

sync pulse
Getbig IV
****
Posts: 2688



View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »

I would think that the hood range fan/light is wired to a different circuit than the 220 feed for the stove...and that one or the other is wired/grounded incorrectly...so there is a potential difference between the stove and the hood.
Report to moderator   Logged
Primemuscle
Getbig V
*****
Gender: Male
Posts: 8702


Be honest...


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:41:18 AM »

Thank you, that makes sense.  I'm getting a gas stove, just wondered about this.



Just so you know, I am not an electrician. The truth is I had a similar experience with my electric Jenn Air cook top. And just so you know again, my wife is waiting for me to have a gas cooktop installed. There is nothing as good as cooking with gas.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!