Author Topic: Explain this... Electrical Wiring  (Read 900 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Explain this... Electrical Wiring
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:40 AM »
When I touch a pot on my electric range (with it on), and touch the metal range hood I get shocked.

The range hood frame is grounded, and the electric element the pot is sitting on is wired hot.

How would this not electrocute you?  Is this a design flaw?  WTF?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Explain this... Electrical Wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:16:34 AM »
When I touch a pot on my electric range (with it on), and touch the metal range hood I get shocked.

The range hood frame is grounded, and the electric element the pot is sitting on is wired hot.

How would this not electrocute you?  Is this a design flaw?  WTF?

Chances are the electric element on your stove has a loose connection and isn't grounded. Does this happen with all the electric elements on the stove top or just one? Also when a lose wire touches the stove top itself, it becomes an open circuit. The pot being metal transfers the short to you when you touch it. You would also probably get a shock if you touched the pot and the stove top (not the element).

If this is what is causing the problem, rewiring the element isn't that difficult. Be sure to shut off all power to the stove though before you attempt a fix.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:55 AM »
you are a mutant with lightning powers

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
nothing that a shotgun can't fix

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
Chances are the electric element on your stove has a loose connection and isn't grounded. Does this happen with all the electric elements on the stove top or just one? Also when a lose wire touches the stove top itself, it becomes an open circuit. The pot being metal transfers the short to you when you touch it. You would also probably get a shock if you touched the pot and the stove top (not the element).

If this is what is causing the problem, rewiring the element isn't that difficult. Be sure to shut off all power to the stove though before you attempt a fix.

Thank you, that makes sense.  I'm getting a gas stove, just wondered about this.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »
I would think that the hood range fan/light is wired to a different circuit than the 220 feed for the stove...and that one or the other is wired/grounded incorrectly...so there is a potential difference between the stove and the hood.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
Thank you, that makes sense.  I'm getting a gas stove, just wondered about this.

Just so you know, I am not an electrician. The truth is I had a similar experience with my electric Jenn Air cook top. And just so you know again, my wife is waiting for me to have a gas cooktop installed. There is nothing as good as cooking with gas.